• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Well I mean, Doomy multiplayer would be 4 people running around existing levels in a boring deathmatch style game that lasts too long because the levels are too big to support such a small number of players.

What they really want is Quakey multiplayer.

I really dig this MP though.

This is 100% correct.

wwm0nkey

Didn't know UltraNightmare had this feature, I like it!

A7F5iIJ.jpg

marrec

Banned
Please stop!

I havent finished uc4, ratchet and clank, ds3 and i have o lot of mpgames that i want to play, but i am sooooo tempted to get this today.

I am totally addicted to buying new games, have a lot of money but not much time to play :(

Buy or not?

If you have any love for the original DOOM games then this is a definite must buy.

If you have never played the original DOOM games then this is a definite must buy.

If you have never seen, played, or heard of a video game then this is a definite must buy.

Disktrasa

Banned
If you have any love for the original DOOM games then this is a definite must buy.

If you have never played the original DOOM games then this is a definite must buy.

If you have never seen, played, or heard of a video game then this is a definite must buy.

You nailed it there xD

george_us

Beat it last night, incredible game. Actually made me want to know more about the story. I pray to God Bethesda greenlights a sequel.

I played a snapmap that needed a red key

Was it user created or auto generated? That's my biggest question. The other question was the potential complexity of such levels.

I have no high speed internet either, so I'm playing "offline" on Steam. Do I need to download these maps. If so, how big are the downloads?

It's aight

I don't mind it, though it needs 4 huge things for it to become truly great.

The same starting loadout for all

Weapons on map

No demon rune bull plop

Traditional game mode playlist

Saying that the teleporter grenade I love, managed to finally pull of a telefrag

Agreed! They do this and i'ts going to be fucking amazing!

This is my only real gripe with MP... loadouts! Put everything on the map... multiples of non-power weapons... make us use map control to secure weapons and powerups... and fucking drop that demon rune like a ton of bricks.

marrec

Banned
Agreed! They do this and i'ts going to be fucking amazing!

This is my only real gripe with MP... loadouts! Put everything on the map... multiples of non-power weapons... make us use map control to secure weapons and powerups... and fucking drop that demon rune like a ton of bricks.

The Demon runes are the best part though :(

The Flash

Banned
Was it user created or auto generated? That's my biggest question. The other question was the potential complexity of such levels.

User created. I was in a map that had 4 cards in room for example. The levels can get pretty complicated as well from what I've seen. People are already remake maps from Nazi Zombies and the old Dooms for instance. All with scripted AI.

The Demon runes are the best part though :(

They're like the killstreaks of Doom... i just personally don't like them. They're fun... but i'd much rather have a "classic" or "traditional" mode with no rune and no loadouts.

So is there a PS4 multiplayer list going around anywhere on here?

I need to get together with you other PS4 players who are digging the MP as much as me!

PSN: TheCanisDirus (i know i have a few of you guys playing Doom currently but everyone's welcome to add me)

User created. I was in a map that had 4 cards in room for example. The levels can get pretty complicated as well from what I've seen. People are already remake maps from Nazi Zombies and the old Dooms for instance. All with scripted AI.

That is fantastic. Now how easy are these maps to get going (I'm at work right now and can't try it) Must you download the maps? Do you "stream" them, and can you play them offline as much as you want once you've downloaded them?

wwm0nkey

Actually with that UltraNightmare death location feature for other players I would have loved to see a super hard mode in the vein of Darksouls where you can summon other players to help you out. Would have been pretty neat.

A good pitch. 100% in support of this.

Also, I'd love an Ultimate Doom expansion with a dedicated episode of co-op/SP levels. Maybe comes with additional Snapmap elements as well.

Justinh

You get access to a playable Candy-Crush type game... with sprites from classic Doom instead of colour bubble

Also includes old midi tracks. It's as awesome as it sounds

Oh, I remember that. I spent a lot of time
playing that dumb game,
lol.

this has probably been asked a lot before

but if you replay an old level to get secrets/collectibles, do you have to finish it for them to be saved or can you exit the level as soon as you got it?

I'm honestly not sure. I think I went through an old level and it didn't save all my stuff when I quit at a checkpoint so I always just finish the level now. But I did do one where I interacted with a Rune and quit to do the trial or quit to play a classic level right after I unlocked it(I can't remember which) and it saved the other secret that I had unlocked beforehand. I'd just play through the level to be sure...

wwm0nkey

Online coop for the campaign would be a great patch addition down the road.
Well we have the death location feature ,we just need the summon feature lol

Really though co-op in a super hard mode where the level resets when you die would be soooo good

Mupod

Anybody else find the sound mix a little bit shit? Sometimes it seems like the gory squelching during glory kills, like with the chainsaw, are nowhere near as loud as they should be.

what, you don't like Possessed being audible from 10km away like they are standing behind you?

lazygecko

what, you don't like Possessed being audible from 10km away like they are standing behind you?

It also feels like the possessed sounds overlap with eachother and don't have time to finish before a new sound is triggered, making you think there are more of them around than there really are.

I thought it might just be my surround headphones freaking the fuck out... that shit is crazy annoying... like needs-to-be-fixed-asap annoying! It really destroys the positional audio... it's not that good sadly.

derFeef

I thought it might just be my surround headphones freaking the fuck out... that shit is crazy annoying... like needs-to-be-fixed-asap annoying! It really destroys the positional audio... it's not that good sadly.

Did not get fixed in any other idtech game sadly :(

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Anyone know whats up with the weird blue forcefield effect that you see when you hit enemies? I expect my demons to bleed, not have halo shields.

EDIT: I am *NOT* referring to the glory kill highlight folks.

Mupod

Anyone know whats up with the weird blue forcefield effect that you see when you hit enemies? I expect my demons to bleed, not have halo shields.

are you talking about what happens when you shoot pinkies from the front or something else? I noticed that too and I think it's supposed to denote that their faces are armored.

MrCuddle

Bought the game, played through the first level, had a good time with a frame rate at about 48 - 60. Definitely playable.

As soon as the second level starts it dips to below 20 fps, and seem to stay there apart from when I face corners/less busy parts of the scene.

Anyone else?

I've got a Geforce 670 gtx with the latest drivers and a i7 3770K CPU. Running on low settings.

Edit: And as I tab back in everything seems to be fine again. Strange, since I had the issue for over an hour before.

Raptor

If don't have a TV, nor a videogame console nor a PC, then this is a definite buy.

mtm5925

I find it's a bit odd that the game has similar audio mixing issue of WTNO. id integrated third party audio middleware (Wwise) to the engine for Doom, which is probably the first time in id Tech history.

Top Bottom