• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

wwm0nkey

Now I'm imagining Doom 4 with messages on the ground like Dark Souls.

"AMAZING SKULLS AHEAD"

gets ambushed by revenants
Feel like that would ruin secrets, but if the text was limited enough so you couldn't just say secret then it could work lol. I'm still picturing summon circles for co-op, like I really REALLY think that could work on a very hard mode (ultra nightmare+ or something)

BigDug13

I thought something similar was already created with SnapMap?

SnapMap needs a lot of work. Two weapons max for players to hold, lack of real sorting options of levels, especially if you use the filter to find specific game types. There is no way to sort for highest rated or whatever. Level size limitations that make the max size extremely smaller than the main campaign levels.

Really this game feels like Snapmap and Multiplayer were farmed out to other developers. Like they took 3 distinct games made by 3 development studios and slapped them together. With the single player campaign being the shining star.

Woorloog

Banned
Really this game feels like Snapmap and Multiplayer were farmed out to other developers. Like they took 3 distinct games made by 3 development studios and slapped them together. With the single player campaign being the shining star.

Escalation Studios for SnapMap, Certain Affinity for MP.
Co-developed.

wwm0nkey

SnapMap needs a lot of work. Two weapons max for players to hold, lack of real sorting options of levels, especially if you use the filter to find specific game types. There is no way to sort for highest rated or whatever. Level size limitations that make the max size extremely smaller than the main campaign levels.

That is exactly what happened

The multiplayer actually was done by different developers. I think SnapMap is pretty cool but could have been significantly better without the multiplayer restrictions.

ecierif

this has probably been asked a lot before

but if you replay an old level to get secrets/collectibles, do you have to finish it for them to be saved or can you exit the level as soon as you got it?
I think you just need to reach a checkpoint. I completed a level after missing a secret rune trial, went back and completed it and exited the level because I didn't want to replay the rest. I went to the mission select screen to check my progress and it was there (the mission select menu allows you to see what secrets you have found in each level).

BigDug13

The multiplayer actually was done by different developers. I think SnapMap is pretty cool but could have been significantly better without the multiplayer restrictions.

Well I hope whatever happens, we get two things. SnapMap updates to make it better. Single player campaign content.

Because right now it looks like the weakest mode of the game is going to be the only one seeing content improvements.

Shifty

Didn't know UltraNightmare had this feature, I like it!

A7F5iIJ.jpg

Oh cool, like Dark Souls!

From the PR spiel, I figured this was an offline-only thing, not shared between players. Bethesda marketing strikes again!

Well I hope whatever happens, we get two things. SnapMap updates to make it better. Single player campaign content.

Because right now it looks like the weakest mode of the game is going to be the only one seeing content improvements.

Totally, would love a single player expansion or sequel.

h0tp0ck3t

That is fantastic. Now how easy are these maps to get going (I'm at work right now and can't try it) Must you download the maps? Do you "stream" them, and can you play them offline as much as you want once you've downloaded them?

It's online only sadly. You pick the map you want to play and host a lobby even if the map says Solo

Just passed the first level and man this game is amazing . I can already tell it's going to be one of my game of the years , having trouble going back to finish uncharted lol.

Only found 1 secret on that level , the obvious one but it says I missed 2 so they must be damn hard to find :)

One of those games I'll keep coming back to just for the gunplay .

Also runs incredibly smooth on Xbox one , I have no doubt ps4 probably beats it slightly but still a damn good looking game on Xbox (plus I prefer the controller )

Yushi

Really want to get the game...but I have no interest in the MP and I don't want to pay 80$ for it (CAD). Guess ill just wait for the sale that will most likely come soon enough.

msv

Bwahaha, the armor infinite ammo rune combined with heavy assault rifle no-reload missiles is SO OP, it's glorious. Spam missiles EVERYWHERE. Kills everything, from imps to barons of hell, cacodemons, pinkies, So goooood.

And the latest AMD drivers are great. Before I had to do 800p (16:10) with my 7950HD, but now I can safely run 1200p. Some small dips now to 40, but mostly 60+.

Doikor

Anyone know whats up with the weird blue forcefield effect that you see when you hit enemies? I expect my demons to bleed, not have halo shields.

Its the thing that tells you to use melee (stagger). I think you can disable it from the settings if you want to.

Can someone post in spoiler tags the gist of what what said after you kill the last boss? My gf and her friend literally talked over the whole thing and I missed it.

You don't review for polygon by any chance ?

I think you're misunderstanding his question..

Its the thing that tells you to use melee (stagger). I think you can disable it from the settings if you want to.

Not what he's talking about. The blue force-field effect during hits is when you're shooting armored parts of the enemy. The Pinky and Mancubus have a lot of armor so you're probably seeing that effect mostly on them.

Can someone post in spoiler tags the gist of what what said after you kill the last boss? My gf and her friend literally talked over the whole thing and I missed it.

"Gonna carry on using Argent energy, I'm not the bad guy in all this, can't kill you so sending you far away."

Samuel reverses the tether while he's talking to you and tethers you to Hell. He says it could all be stopped if you killed them all, but he wants his research to continue. He also says he knows he can't and shouldn't kill you. He takes the Crucible full of an enourmous amount of Argent Energy, and throws you back into hell and keeps you there via tether.

edit:
actually i dont think its stated where he tethered you to. I just assumed back to hell but its closed so idk

Samuel reverses the tether while he's talking to you and tethers you to Hell. He says it could all be stopped if you killed them all, but he wants his research to continue. He also says he knows he can't and shouldn't kill you. He takes the Crucible full of an enourmous amount of Argent Energy, and throws you back into hell and keeps you there via tether.

edit:
actually i dont think its stated where he tethered you to. I just assumed back to hell but its closed so idk

Yeah, not exactly sure where he sends you but I would assume hell. Hoping for an expansion that involves that VEGA backup chip and him helping you get back.

Cudder

So I bought this game on Sunday and I'm loving the shit out of it. Agreed with everyone saying it's the best FPS since The New Order. It's just so fucking fun. Nothing this year put a smile on my face like the DOOM titlecard showing up, with the increasing intensity of the music and then the shotgun reload at the top.

It's such a treat to finally have an FPS campaign with actual exploration and secrets to find, and level design that harkens back to the olden days. The single player is way more in depth than I thought it was going to be with all of the upgrading of the guns/suit/runes you can do. Super impressed with this game, it is probably my GOTY so far.

And I'm actually loving the multiplayer. It's been a while since I've played an arena like shooter. No deathmatch is a shame, but the fluidity and weapons are awesome in multiplayer too. I'm really enjoying it. No convoluted classes or perks mucking up the multiplayer, just 2 weapons, an equipment slot, and you're good to go.

I'm loving every aspect of this game.

daedalius

So on Giantbomb podcast today they all profess their love for the new Doom, it was satisfying to hear considering I've been playing it constantly since Friday, hah.

I've managed to make it to Argent Tower on Nightmare, it is a lot harder than Ultra-Violence! But damn its super fun still.

nubbe

So on Giantbomb podcast today they all profess their love for the new Doom, it was satisfying to hear considering I've been playing it constantly since Friday, hah.

I've managed to make it to Argent Tower on Nightmare, it is a lot harder than Ultra-Violence! But damn its super fun still.

Brad was funny in the quick look
since he didn't wanna stop the campaign to look at the other modes

JNT

Completed the game yesterday.

I definitely feel that the game takes too many cues from Serious Sam, Shadow Warrior, and Painkiller in the sense that you enter a seemingly empty arena-like area only to be ambushed by enemies. I would have wanted more levels like the foundry level that allow for a ton of exploration coupled with fixed monster placements rather than spawning enemies. The boss fights are generally very boring too (especially regarding the environments, or lack thereof, where you get to fight them in).

The reveal of the Spider Mastermind is also very underwhelming. Wouldn't it make more sense if Samuel turned out to be the Spider Mastermind by transferring his consciousness to the VEGA's central processing core (which, in itself, kind of looks like the Mastermind sans legs) which would have made him hyper intelligent?

That being said, it's hard to be mad at this game when the combat provides me with the most fun I've had with a game in years.

antitrop

Clicking R3 to perform a Glory Kill never gets old. Super-satisfying input and mechanic.
Once you have the upgraded Rune that speeds them up, they're barely even there. Combine that with the Rune that gives you a speed boost after a GK and the Rune that makes enemies easier to stagger, and you can just fly through the battles at incredible speed.

When you get the fully upgraded after a glory kill speed boost and the speed up glory kills runes, you can rip through enemies like Guts in Berserk. Makes me wish you could chain glory kills or do them to more then one small demon at a time. In the SP xpac plz

Neiteio

Completed the game yesterday.

The reveal of the Spider Mastermind is also very underwhelming. Wouldn't it make more sense if Samuel turned out to be the Spider Mastermind by transferring his consciousness to the VEGA's central processing core (which, in itself, kind of looks like the Mastermind sans legs) which would have made him hyper intelligent?

That being said, it's hard to be mad at this game when the combat provides me with the most fun I've had with a game in years.
I'm not done with the game yet, but I heard that monster was in the game and I had to see for myself how they implemented it. So I looked up footage... I think it looks incredible! The model/animation is perfection. :)

Once you have the upgraded Rune that speeds them up, they're barely even there. Combine that with the Rune that gives you a speed boost after a GK and the Rune that makes enemies easier to stagger, and you can just fly through the battles at incredible speed.
This sounds amazing. Can't wait!

Neiteio

Clicking R3 to perform a Glory Kill never gets old. Super-satisfying input and mechanic.

Putting use on R3 feels pretty great too. It works shockingly well.
Yeah, I think GK and "use" feel so good on R3 because when you click the stick, it's like you're pushing forward and hitting something hard, be it an enemy or a switch, just like how your arm/leg reaches forward in-game.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Yea I'm not talking about the Glory Kill glow guys, I know what that is.

There is a forcefield effect when you shoot enemies, and from what has been said it's because they are strong in some areas.

rdytoroll

Is the game update (showing as 1.02 for me) on PS4 needed to play singleplayer or is it only for multiplayer? Just got the game and want to play already lol

Doom is finally here and installing. The first thing I did was flip the cover, of course.

I wish the flip cover had the company logos and "PC DVD" on it to make it look more like a real game cover - now it's very obviously an alternate thing you can put on instead of the shitty normal cover.

The Flash

Banned
Doom is finally here and installing. The first thing I did was flip the cover, of course.

I wish the flip cover had the company logos and "PC DVD" on it to make it look more like a real game cover - now it's very obviously an alternate thing you can put on instead of the shitty normal cover.

Yeah I flipped it back to the regular cover because of that :/

I'm probably going to get the steelbook off of eBay though

Top Bottom