• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
What runes are you guys using? I'm going with the air control one (seems mandatory), the glory kill distance increase, and the armor after glory kills. I really like the faster glory kills too but there are only 3 rune slots and the armor seems more useful, considering the iframes in the glory kills mean it doesn't matter too much how long they take.

Also, is it just me, or is the rocket launcher really weak? Like, very low damage on direct hits.
Air control

Extra ammo (maxed out and regular enemies have a chance to drop BFG ammo, huge help)

Armor from glory kills

JoeInky

I use air control, armor from glory kills and infinite ammo at 100 armor.

Coupled with bottomless rockets on the heavy assault rifle just destroys everything.

What runes are you guys using? I'm going with the air control one (seems mandatory), the glory kill distance increase, and the armor after glory kills. I really like the faster glory kills too but there are only 3 rune slots and the armor seems more useful, considering the iframes in the glory kills mean it doesn't matter too much how long they take.

Also, is it just me, or is the rocket launcher really weak? Like, very low damage on direct hits.
More ammo, armor from glory kills, and extended range glory kills. I gotta haves my super shotty and gauss ammo, and the chainsaw comes out the moment I start to go dry with one of em. Extra range on glory kills helps put those heavies (including aerial ones) to rest quickly, while replenishing my goodies.

And I agree on the rockets. They're good to make groups of minor to medium demons go splat, but the majors require a heaping dose.

brau

Faster Glory Kills
Engage Glory Kills from farther distance
Stagger Enemies for Glory Kills for longer

I wish there was a stat on how many kills i've had on the Glory Kill system haha.

The Rocket is super useful on Mancubuses as well as the Cacodemons. I also like that it staggers with the alt homing most of the time.

- Longer enemy staggers
- Armor from glory kills
- Speed boost from glory kills

I found the last two to be essential.

-Better air control
-Longer glory kill activation distance
-Faster stagger

Rocket launcher is weaker then the Gauss cannon but I like the triple shot lock on upgrade

cool. What level do I find it in? LOL

If you search for secrets you can find weapons way earlier then you would have gotten them via normal progression

Arkanius

I have been sitting on Multiplayer (PC) waiting for a match for 10 minutes now

Is it really dead or is something wrong on my end?

Just so I'm clear, what are weapon masteries?

You have to use a drone to pick an alt. fire mode, put weapon points into that alt. fire and the once you have unlocked all but the final one you will be given a challenge.

Example for the Super Shotgun, kill two enemies in one trigger pull 30 times. Once you complete it you will automatically get the master upgrade

brau

It should be in the menu with all the enemy info - lists overall kills of a particular enemy, and then glory kill count.

ah.. i remember that. but there is not an overall kill counter. right? also... my ratio of kills from weapons is all even except for the regular shotgun... i have like 600 kills, while the other ones range from 60 to 100 kills each. haha.

TP

Air control, pickup range, and ammo boost

I'm up to Vega Central processing (12th level?) on UV and i've pretty much ignored glory kills.
heard a few people say there was a difficulty spike in Hell but i've had no problems so far

I hope I can keep on like this because I really don't like them. It's so much more satisfying to shoot them in the face until they drop.

---

What must it feel like for a demon to port in on a Doom marine currently using a power up

4XX5Z8A.gif

Tovarisc

I have been sitting on Multiplayer (PC) waiting for a match for 10 minutes now

Is it really dead or is something wrong on my end?

If it's anything like beta then it just bugged out on you. Back out from matchmaking and queue up again, repeat if needed. Got into TDM matches in few seconds earlier today, on PC.

Mupod

I've been using:

Enemies stay staggered longer
Armor from glory kills
More ammo from drops

Maybe not optimal. I'm liking the idea of faster glory kills, more air control, and speed from glory kills. I want to go fast. But I don't rely on glory kills all that much and I actually prefer to do setups with the stun bomb and rockets or railgun. The extra stagger time comes in handy a lot since I'm usually kiting enemies around and herding them together. I kinda play this game like Serious Sam (aka run backwards and shoot: the game).

Arkanius

If it's anything like beta then it just bugged out on you. Back out from matchmaking and queue up again, repeat if needed. Got into TDM matches in few seconds earlier today, on PC.

I always see a message saying "Connecting..." for a few seconds but the lobby remains empty and it keeps searching from there.

I've repeatdly tried to queue again to no avail :|

Just so I'm clear, what are weapon masteries?
Once you fully upgrade the pistol, super shotgun, or a weapon mod for the other weapons, you unlock a final bonus weapon mastery perk to the weapon that only unlocks once you've completed its weapon or weapon mod specific challenge.

So, once you max out the shotgun's explosive shot you get a mastery challenge to nail 30 imps with direct explosive hits - once you complete that challenge the explosive shot will send out secondary explosive shots after the first one goes off.

I seriously have to take a break between each encounter in the last level lol. So intense!!

This was me in every area for the last few hours of the game.

My god, I'm going to reiterate what many others have said in the thread. The music in this game is so fucking awesome! Like I want to get the OST to it and headbang to it for an hour.

I love how much room you have in the arenas to make mince meat of the monsters. Run, leap, shoot, rip and tear = profit!

What controller settings do you guys have for playing on console? The look sensitivity is a little too touchy for me right now at 65, which is usually about what I play on or higher for FPS. Aim assist is off as well.

I tried lowering the sensitivity to 40, but Doom guy turns so slowly now. Can't play Ultra Nightmare on that setting, that's for sure! Lol

bounchfx

i honestly rarely use the rocket launcher. almost always using the shotguns, and for big damage I use that big beam rifle charge up shot

the only fucking thing the rocket launcher ever manages to kill is myself, otherwise it's way too weak imo

My god, I'm going to reiterate what many others have said in the thread. The music in this game is so fucking awesome! Like I want to get the OST to it and headbang to it for an hour.

What controller settings do you guys have for playing on console? The look sensitivity is a little too touchy for me right now at 65, which is usually about what I play on or higher for FPS. Aim assist is off as well.

I tried lowering the sensitivity to 40, but Doom guy turns so slowly now. Can't play Ultra Nightmare on that setting, that's for sure! Lol

I just played at 90 sensitivity and I could still aim precisely on a controller. For fast paced shooters my rule of thumb is "make it as much like quake 3 as possible"

Tovarisc

i honestly rarely use the rocket launcher. almost always using the shotguns, and for big damage I use that big beam rifle charge up shot

the only fucking thing the rocket launcher ever manages to kill is myself, otherwise it's way too weak imo

Revenants die to 4 rockets which is lock on [3 rocket salvo, tracks] + 1 single fired direct hit. I just quick comboed them down with that method. This way I saved Gauss Cannon ammo against big hitters like Barons or boss encounters.

Sciz

Rockets are glorious for taking out minor demons. Anything short of a hell knight gets one shot, and the remote detonation upgrade path means you can always plant one dead center of a group regardless of your position or the terrain. The burn effect it applies is super good too.

For runes:
- Glory kill range
- Armor on GK
- Infinite ammo at >75 armor

Stay healthy, stay deadly. The last one in particular makes the chaingun an absolute monster.

Raptomex

Now that I've had a few days to reflect on my SP experience, I'm going to make a pretty bold statement (to say the least):
DOOM is the best 3D first-person shooter ever made. (When I say 3D I mean true 3D, as in Quake and beyond.)

Anyone feel the same way? I'm not alone here, am I? I know it's a huge statement, but I can't for the life of me remember the last time I felt this way about a FPS.
I agree. Doom 2 is best FPS of all time IMO. I never got into Quake. I don't hate it or anything. It just doesn't hold my interest like Doom or Wolf do.

razzel

Oh my gosh that ending and end credits. So good!

I hope Id listens to player feedback and focuses more on single player content dlc instead of multiplayer.

Edit: I have no idea how people completed the game on anything above hurt me plenty lol. Even that difficulty put me through the wringer!

Raptomex

Can anyone confirm the changes Nightmare contains compared to UV or below, if any? Considering you can't select Nightmare as a difficulty, in the same game slot you beat it in on a lower difficulty. I'm trying to find out the reason behind this. I'm still working on collecting everything before I start my Nightmare run.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
If you choose Nightmare you can't change the difficulty. It locks you out once you start.
That's why you have to start over on a fresh save.

Arkanius

Oh my gosh that ending and end credits. So good!

I hope Id listens to player feedback and focuses more on single player content dlc instead of multiplayer.

Edit: I have no idea how people completed the game on anything above hurt me plenty lol. Even that difficulty put me through the wringer!

It's pretty Manageable in Ultra Violence...

Now Nightmare...

EDIT:

I quit. 30 minutes searching for a multiplayer game and nothing. I swear my game is bugged.

Can anyone confirm the changes Nightmare contains compared to UV or below, if any? Considering you can't select Nightmare as a difficulty, in the same game slot you beat it in on a lower difficulty. I'm trying to find out the reason behind this. I'm still working on collecting everything before I start my Nightmare run.

You can't change the difficulty on Nightmare, you are locked to it.
Enemies do insane damage and have more health. More enemies in general. Harder enemies earlier. Ammo, Health and Armor pickups give you less.

I think that's about it.

Raptomex

If you choose Nightmare you can't change the difficulty. It locks you out once you start.
That's why you have to start over on a fresh save.

You can't change the difficulty on Nightmare, you are locked to it.
Enemies do insane damage and have more health. More enemies in general. Harder enemies earlier. Ammo, Health and Armor pickups give you less.

I think that's about it.
Thanks. It still bothers me that I have to recollect everything. I can understand the upgrade stuff but I think the Codex stuff should be universal or something without forcing the player to find everything, do all the rune trials again, etc. I can at least understand upgrades and even challenges. Still looking forward to replaying.

Shifty

The regular shotgun however, is a useless piece of shit. Though the explosive is sort of good.

The combat shotgun is an amazing combo tool. You can switch to it and quickly unload 5 shells into an enemy if you go primary -> secondary -> primary with the charged burst mod, then switch back and continue the carnage with your other gun.
Granted, you can do that with any weapon that does burst damage, but the combat shotgun is really useful for keeping enemies locked down at mid-range.

And if you're on PC, you can make sweet boomstick music:

brau

The Super Shotgun needs a nerf, lol. Well maybe not as I love it.

I blast mancubus with like 3 shots on UV. Thats harder hitting than the rocket launcher. Sure you need to get into their face but thats no problem in this game.

The width is also rather insane, I'm sure I miss sometimes but I still body 2 enemies. The regular shotgun however, is a useless piece of shit. Though the explosive is sort of good.

Not for me. Its the gun that i have the most kills with (the rest of the guns i have like 50 to 100 kills average), its so versatile with both alt fire modes. Its so much fun! my to go to weapon for sure for most encounters.

Rockets are glorious for taking out minor demons. Anything short of a hell knight gets one shot, and the remote detonation upgrade path means you can always plant one dead center of a group regardless of your position or the terrain. The burn effect it applies is super good too.

For runes:
- Glory kill range
- Armor on GK
- Infinite ammo at >75 armor

Stay healthy, stay deadly. The last one in particular makes the chaingun an absolute monster.

Ha ha I upgraded ammo first, then health, and now I have 1 point in armor, so I can't even use the infinite ammo at max armor rune.

The basic shotgun is my most used gun: great for keeping enemies of all sizes at bay and instag gibbing tiny enemies.

It is a fantastically balanced weapon.

brau

I really want to get this. How meaty is the campaign? Not big into multiplayer but would definitely try it out.

Get the game, you won't regret it.

Have not touched the MP, but have been playing the Campaign for around 10+hrs hard mode and i am not sure if i am close to the end. Can't wait to go back and 100% other levels and then do Hardest mode. Its an amazing game.

I don't think there is a bad weapon, aside from the dinky little pistol. Which isn't that bad on Nightmare since it has infinite ammo.

Some are better then others though (Super Shotgun)

I really want to get this. How meaty is the campaign? Not big into multiplayer but would definitely try it out.

It's comfortably 8-12 hours depending on if you go searching for everything, can be more time or less depending on how much you explore the levels. Good replay value too. I finished it with 10 hours played and immediately started again on a higher difficulty because it's so much damn fun.

13 missions, each of significant length with a shitload of secrets and collectibles to find.

Plenty of meat... literally.

Get the game, you won't regret it.

Have not touched the MP, but have been playing the Campaign for around 10+hrs hard mode and i am not sure if i am close to the end. Can't wait to go back and 100% other levels and then do Hardest mode. Its an amazing game.

It's comfortably 8-12 hours depending on if you go searching for everything, can be more time or less depending on how much you explore the levels. Good replay value too. I finished it with 10 hours played and immediately started again on a higher difficulty because it's so much damn fun.
Thanks a lot guys. Gonna try to get it as soon as I can.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The basic shotgun is my most used gun: great for keeping enemies of all sizes at bay and instag gibbing tiny enemies.

It is a fantastically balanced weapon.
Yeah, it's clearly the workhorse of the game and fills that role beautifully. Was really surprised at how viable it was for the whole game.

Top Bottom