• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Grief.exe

I moved the game over from my mechanical drive to my SSD and the loading times went from surprisingly long to less than 2 seconds.

And the 9/10 that Destructoid and Jim Sterling gave it :)

image.php

Moff

I moved the game over from my mechanical drive to my SSD and the loading times went from surprisingly long to less than 2 seconds.

really?
i got it on my SSD as well and the loading times are surprisingly long, I'd say about 7-10 seconds
no problem of course but most games load much faster

arimanius

MP is TOO DAMN FUN! had a blast making this highlight video.

https://youtu.be/9w1NyVDbckw

Seriously, if you're on the fence about this game... don't be. Buy this shit.

SP is also god tier.

It's well to me anyway a refreshing change, very old school. I'm having more fun with this then I ever did Halo 4 and 5 and I say that because those who know me, know I'm a halo fanboy.

This game's mp is a breath of fresh air and extremely fun xD

I was on the fence but damn you convinced me. I love old doom but was holding off because of the MP.

JamesAR15

Just grabbed the PC version for $39.99...was going to wait a few but the latest Bombcast sent me over the edge, can't beat it for that price either.

I'm on an ssd as well, and I'm nowhere close to getting 2 second load times. You get 2 second load times everywhere?

really?
i got it on my SSD as well and the loading times are surprisingly long, I'd say about 7-10 seconds
no problem of course but most games load much faster

Ditto for me. That's what I get. I don't get anywhere close to 2 seconds.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
How can u glory kill a lost soul when they die from a melee move

Izuna

Banned
I have been trying to like this game (loved Wolfenstein, love old Doom games) but it's just SO repetitive. Ultra Violent (which is the hardest I can choose) and the whole game just seems to be chaining glory kills to get health.

Glory Kills, imo, I wish you could turn them off somehow. The whole game just seems to be corridor to arena, to corridor. I assume the upgrade system is part of the fun and there are a ton of abilities I don't have yet, but so far nothing in the game has been fun to fight, and Glory Kills got old quick (like, after the 5th one).

Does it get better? Or should I just exit out and realise this one isn't for me?

Well, just lost a ton of work on Snapmap thanks to a crash! What a pain in the ass.
My only crash with the game came about after tinkering for a while on a SnapMap. I've been hesitant to jump back in from that experience, but luckily/sadly/coincidentally I also haven't had the time.

Is there a quick-save option or background saves?

rdytoroll

Console players: What are your sensitivity and look smoothing settings? Do you have aim assist on? Haven't found the perfect settings yet

The MP is so much fun too, like damn. Did not expect

Console players: What are your sensitivity and look smoothing settings? Do you have aim assist on? Haven't found the perfect settings yet

I've left it at the default settings, but have been tempted to try different things.

I did change FOV to 100, as opposed to 110. It was set at 90.

Jito

Banned
My only crash with the game came about after tinkering for a while on a SnapMap. I've been hesitant to jump back in from that experience, but luckily/sadly/coincidentally I also haven't had the time.

Is there a quick-save option or background saves?

It seemed like the crash was directly related to my actions in Snapmap which isn't reassuring. Think I'm now in the same boat were I won't bother if it's unstable.

There's no auto save so you have to keep saving every so often.

Does it get better? Or should I just exit out and realise this one isn't for me?

There's actually a higher difficulty level to select from the start. You could try turning the glory kill highlights off and try not doing them if it's bothering you so much, enemies drop health when you're low on health.

But really if you're not enjoying the combat then it doesn't sound like it's for you.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

FoV 100, Aim smoothing at 0, horizontal sensitivity at 70, and vertical sensitivity at 62

I'm pulling off shit I've never done with a controller before

The Flash

Banned
Hell Guardians
are a bunch of chumps if you have the
rocket mastery on the assault rifle
. Good
boss fight
though.

TP

I have been trying to like this game (loved Wolfenstein, love old Doom games) but it's just SO repetitive. Ultra Violent (which is the hardest I can choose) and the whole game just seems to be chaining glory kills to get health.

Glory Kills, imo, I wish you could turn them off somehow. The whole game just seems to be corridor to arena, to corridor. I assume the upgrade system is part of the fun and there are a ton of abilities I don't have yet, but so far nothing in the game has been fun to fight, and Glory Kills got old quick (like, after the 5th one).

You don't have to use glory kills to get through UV
Just be sure to max out your ammo through upgrades asap

But the corridor to arena to corridor design pretty much stays the whole game
I didn't really start enjoying the game until I got to Hell and more demons were thrown at me

Izuna

Banned
There's actually a higher difficulty level to select from the start. You could try turning the glory kill highlights off and try not doing them if it's bothering you so much, enemies drop health when you're low on health.

But really if you're not enjoying the combat then it doesn't sound like it's for you.

I picked the highest one I can choose at the start.

It's a shame I guess. The IGN review that people are shitting on is exactly how I feel, except I would have rated lower at this point. Oh well, I can't get them all.

It just feels like a Quake game with trash level design and... glory kills...

You don't have to use glory kills to get through UV
Just be sure to max out your ammo through upgrades asap

But the corridor to arena to corridor design pretty much stays the whole game
I didn't really start enjoying the game until I got to Hell and more demons were thrown at me

I'll play up until Hell I guess.

rdytoroll

FoV 100, Aim smoothing at 0, horizontal sensitivity at 70, and vertical sensitivity at 62

I'm pulling off shit I've never done with a controller before

Gonna try these! Yep, shit plays like a dream with a controller. I have look smoothing on, with sensitivity at 70, but I'll try it without look smoothing

Jito

Banned
I picked the highest one I can choose at the start.

It's a shame I guess. The IGN review that people are shitting on is exactly how I feel, except I would have rated lower at this point. Oh well, I can't get them all.

It just feels like a Quake game with trash level design and... glory kills...

No you didn't seeing as you can pick Nightmare from the start.

Levito

Banned
Does anyone find this game to be significantly better with a keyboard + mouse? Normally I have no problem at all playing on a gamepad, but the speed of this game feels kinda tough on a DS4.

Maybe it's just me though.

skynidas

Banned
Does anyone find this game to be significantly better with a keyboard + mouse? Normally I have no problem at all playing on a gamepad, but the speed of this game feels kinda tough on a DS4.

Maybe it's just me though.

it's obviously not you, it's fucking doom.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Controllers are definitely a liability for DOOM, but it's meant to be that way.

AaronMT86

Boss health meter on the cyber-demon? Really? Heh. Anyways that was a fun fight, arena was a little small during stage 2 but doable with the Gauss Cannon charged shots and non-stop moving for me. Playing on Ultra Violence.

Keby

What runes are you guys using? I'm going with the air control one (seems mandatory), the glory kill distance increase, and the armor after glory kills. I really like the faster glory kills too but there are only 3 rune slots and the armor seems more useful, considering the iframes in the glory kills mean it doesn't matter too much how long they take.

Also, is it just me, or is the rocket launcher really weak? Like, very low damage on direct hits.

-Air Control Rune
-Get Richer Rune (For that sweet infinite ammo with 75+ armor)
-Speed boost from Glory Kills

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
The game feels super responsive to me with the dualshock on the PS4. Once I dialed down the smoothing that is. Actually had that at 100% to start before I figured out what it was. Gah.

To be clear, I'm not saying that controllers are bad in this game at all. They are actually very well handled.

But a M+KB will be superior in every way because of the speed of gameplay and the precision that it offers. If you would like an example just watch the NVIDIA 1080 Vulkan gameplay demonstration.

Boss health meter on the cyber-demon? Really? Heh. Anyways that was a fun fight, arena was a little small during stage 2 but doable with the Gauss Cannon charged shots and non-stop moving for me. Playing on Ultra Violence.

This can be turned off within the settings.

Raptor

The game feels super responsive to me with the dualshock on the PS4. Once I dialed down the smoothing that is. Actually had that at 100% to start before I figured out what it was. Gah.

Have mine at 40 because one friend told me to put it there, I dont know what it is to be honest but it did felt different, more snappy.

Top Bottom