• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Mr Swine

Banned
That feeling you get when you kill The
Cyber Demon
with the Super Shotgun only on nightmare... :)

Also I've played 25 hours and haven't reached the last boss yet, I'm there soon (in Titan level) but the CTD are really lame, hopefully Idsoftware fixes it

The Flash

Banned
What must it feel like for a demon to port in on a Doom marine currently using a power up

4XX5Z8A.gif

Doom Marine's reaction

FrayedCircularCattle-size_restricted.gif

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I don't think there is a bad weapon, aside from the dinky little pistol. Which isn't that bad on Nightmare since it has infinite ammo.

Some are better then others though (Super Shotgun)
There's a streamer on Twitch who cleared the entire game on Nightmare with nothing but the pistol.

Blows my mind.

Neiteio

I really want to get this. How meaty is the campaign? Not big into multiplayer but would definitely try it out.
SUPER BEEFY

Seriously, not only are the 13 levels super-long and intricate with tons of collectibles and secrets, but there's a ton of replayability with the different weapons, mods, gun upgrades, suit upgrades, runes, etc, plus the higher difficulty levels, challenges, etc.

What's especially rewarding is how each secret you find (be it a collectible, a hidden room or whatever) also gives you upgrade points for your guns or suit. That's on top of the rewards for finding the secrets themselves, i.e. 3D figures in the model viewer, lore entries, entire classic Doom levels (complete with retro graphics), etc.

There's even a difficulty setting where you try to get as far as you can on one life, and wherever you fall in battle is marked with a skull so that the next time you try, you'll know when you've gotten back to where you were killed last time.

Oh, and for extra variety, try replaying earlier levels with the weapons, gear and upgrades you find later in the game. It's like a whole new experience! Any new stuff you find will count towards your current campaign, too, so it's a great way to power up before returning a tough spot later in the game.

mcz117chief

So I am a couple of hours in and I have a problem. I found a plasma rifle but it seems to be hella glitched. Every time I fire a shot it materialises about 3 meters in front of me with another shot exiting the barrel, the shot that materialised further away travels normally but the one that leaves the barrel vanishes a moment later. I don't know if this is a monster glitch or a terrible design flaw.

There's a streamer on Twitch who cleared the entire game on Nightmare with nothing but the pistol.

Blows my mind.

wtf how? Did he at least use glory kills and equipment and shit? On Ultra Violence you can't even kill a Mancubus or Baron of Hell when they are downed with the pistol

kodecraft

Ha, pretty much. Bulletstorm was my favorite FPS prior to this. DOOM may now take that title.

Yea man, if there is one poster on here with gaming taste that's right up my alley its Neiteio!

Cheers!

Love the power up that lets you box with these damn demons. Got me feeling like TJ Combo knocking Hell Knights, Pinkies, and even Barons of Hell flat the f*ck out.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Anyone help me out? Im looking for a twitch streamer or youtube lets play that runs through the whole game on nightmare (Talking a first run here) so I can watch them do it, caveats being a streamer who doesnt take breaks every 5 mins for 15 mins to thank subs/donations, im not saying it has to be entirely uninterrupted but consistent, a nice flow.

Thanks

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
That feel when you know you got a Berserk/Quad Damage power up still in your back pocket when multiple Knights, Mancubi, and Barons show up.
I loved how most of the arenas let you scope them out before shit got going. Knowing the location of a Berserk when tons of demons pop in and wrecking their day is ultra satisfying. Many games with arena encounters only give you that feeling on replays but this lets you have that level of strategy the first time through.

orborborb

The campaign is a valiant attempt to bring what was great about Doom up to date with modern graphical quality, but there's just no way to overcome the inherent problems of the long asset pipeline current graphics require in order to deliver the complete integration between arcade shooter and dungeon crawler that original Doom was. So they made an excellent new arena combat game, like a single player version of Quake 3 multiplayer, and surrounded them with a bunch of fun Metroid Prime-lite platforming secrets. Fantastic stuff, fairly compared to Mad Mad Fury Road, but similarly I'm not convinced it's something that really outshines its influences.

Freeze Tag multiplayer on the other hand has been an absolutely thrilling new experience for me. It's right up there for me with my favorite multiplayer FPS experiences which have been:

Marathon Infinity, Halo Reach, and Halo 4's King of the Hill and Oddball
Crysis 2 and Advanced Warfare's Team Deathmatch
Unreal Tournament, Titanfall, and Halo 5's Capture the Flag
Destiny's Control and Rift
Quake 3's 1v1 and 2v2 and Threewave CTF

brau

I have been but nothing. Should I attack from the front or behind you think?

I can never get a double jump to trigger a death from above on a baron, even though it should.

I guess you are right, i always felt when it kneels you have enough air to drop on him. But i'm pretty sure that level that is required has plenty of boost pads that will launch you up in some of the rooms where the Baron spawns.

Example.

If I'm on mission 8, and am someone who's only half-assedly looking for secrets, how much longer can I expect the game to last? Playing on normal, dying the odd time.

brau

Death From Above activation is kind of weird. Gotta be in a specific spot, and its different for bigger enemies

I always thought it was tricky to get until i remembered i can double jump. But the Baron is pretty tall so it might be finicky to trigger that kill if not timed correctly.

Surfinn

The challenge areas are some of the best moments in the game so far (it's early on).

Pleasantly surprised. Did not think they were going to deliver.

The Flash

Banned
I guess you are right, i always felt when it kneels you have enough air to drop on him. But i'm pretty sure that level that is required has plenty of boost pads that will launch you up in some of the rooms where the Baron spawns.

Example.

Haven't tried it in that room. I'll give it a go. Cheers.

kodecraft

I don't even shoot the zombie demons, whenever there is a crowd of them, I just go through them rapidly pressing R3, kicking ass and taking names.

It's a skill though not to get hit doing that but so bad ass when you clear out the area they were congregating.

mcz117chief

Ok, so I watched a couple of videos and everywhere I looked the plasma rifle is bugged, I hope it gets fixed because that can't be intentional.

kodecraft

Awesome game design choice with the Glory Kills.

Making it a mechanic that is necessary to the gameplay and rewarding to the player, instead of just being a 'cool thing' idea check box that developers do.

Neiteio

I don't even shoot the zombie demons, whenever there is a crowd of them, I just go through them rapidly pressing R3, kicking ass and taking names.

It's a skill though not to get hit doing that but so bad ass when you clear out the area they were congregating.
You're a quicker learner. I didn't realize I could do this until like four hours in. It was a nice "aha!" moment when I realized I can Glory Kill the basic enemies without shooting them. Just hit them them once with a melee, and then again to GK. It takes skill, like you say -- you have to mind your spacing, coming within arm's reach of them but avoiding a hit. But it's so satisfying to pull it off, one enemy after another. :)

I've been having fun with the multiplayer. It's not perfect (prowler is obnoxious to fight) but despite not being "true arena multiplayer" it's still a far more old school feeling shooter than anything else on consoles right now

Overwatch is good but it isn't deathmatch. DOOM MP gives me similar vibes to games like Timesplitters, its a good time

I avoid "hack modules" at all costs but beyond that no complaints. Unfortunately I don't see the community lasting more than a couple of months, especially with the stupid season pass.

Don't understand why people think it's a travesty or something beyond just not living up to classic DOOM/Quake experiences in the same way the campaign does

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I liked the MP in the alpha/beta but I'm not enjoying it as much in the final game since movement feels slower than in the campaign.

kodecraft

You're a quicker learner. I didn't realize I could do this until like four hours in. It was a nice "aha!" moment when I realized I can Glory Kill the basic enemies without shooting them. Just hit them them once with a melee, and then again to GK. It takes skill, like you say -- you have to mind your spacing, coming within arm's reach of them but avoiding a hit. But it's so satisfying to pull it off, one enemy after another. :)

Dude, are you me?

Exactly!!

Also, I shotgun, plasma gun, or machine gun with zoom enabled the Revenant just enough to were I know I can Glory Kill him, its like it's an instinct now. A Killer Instinct.

I also like to strafe and melee the hell out of the Revenant if he isn't coming with it. I circle around him and just melee, he takes to the air I blast him.

I'm here to let these demons know that they better come with all the pain that they can.

Doomguy is not God and his disciples, but he's hell with his rifles.

mcz117chief

Bugged how?

like this

So I am a couple of hours in and I have a problem. I found a plasma rifle but it seems to be hella glitched. Every time I fire a shot it materialises about 3 meters in front of me with another shot exiting the barrel, the shot that materialised further away travels normally but the one that leaves the barrel vanishes a moment later. I don't know if this is a monster glitch or a terrible design flaw.

I liked the MP in the alpha/beta but I'm not enjoying it as much in the final game since movement feels slower than in the campaign.
I'd be curious to see if impressions would be more favorable if the final release was closer to the straightforward approach of the alpha (no XP/burn cards)

Revenant seems to also be the most balanced. I haven't played as Prowler so maybe it's harder than it seems on the receiving end but the insta-tackle blows are straight trash. Everything else in the game gives you the chance to react, that's a bummer

Am I the only person who thinks multiplayer is pretty awesome ?
Nope I'm really enjoying it, rocking the Shotgun and vortex rifle combo. They need to knock 20 or so seconds off the active rune time and some of the weapons need a serious rebalance but overall it's fun. theresdozensofus.gif etc

Awesome game design choice with the Glory Kills.

Making it a mechanic that is necessary to the gameplay and rewarding to the player, instead of just being a 'cool thing' idea check box that developers do.

Yeah, I was worried about that mechanic, but as soon as I actually tried it I realized that I never liked using the melee or chainsaw in the old games anyway, so what they did was 100% an improvement.

mcz117chief

Am I the only person who thinks multiplayer is pretty awesome ?

I actually enjoy it a lot more than the campaign. A really good alternative to Ghost in the Shell. I like the improved gore and the demon transformations, I think the graphics overall are better in the multiplayer.

Top Bottom