• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Izuna

Banned
I am using 100 X, 86 Y, no autoaim and no smoothing. Being able to claw makes this game feel amazing.

God damn UV is an entirely different game.

110 FoV too

Have mine at 40 because one friend told me to put it there, I dont know what it is to be honest but it did felt different, more snappy.

Pretty sure it determines the acceleration of your camera pitching. 100% means NO acceleration because the entire camera has been 100% "smoothened" -- at least in my test of cranking it all the way up, it would move dead slow and steady, would never alter pace.

I believe 0% means that acceleration just goes exponentially at a rapid pace -- not infinitely exponential but really quite fast.

TP

Does anyone find this game to be significantly better with a keyboard + mouse? Normally I have no problem at all playing on a gamepad, but the speed of this game feels kinda tough on a DS4.

Maybe it's just me though.

Doomguy lives life on the fast lane, it's only right that your aim should be able to keep up

wish I had recorded some of the more frantic encounters

https://my.mixtape.moe/qpitzm.webm

https://my.mixtape.moe/fhsyqa.webm

and there's also the benefit of quick weapon switching like this

And if you're on PC, you can make sweet boomstick music

aaxP2zx.gif

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future

TP

Im still new to PC so im not great on a KB/M yet but ill go with it anyway

I recommend mapping your weapons around WASD instead of using the number row
much easier to reach

I use 1 2 3
Q Z C
Scroll click, scroll up, scroll down, and an extra button on my mouse

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Jeez. JEEZ.

I started this up, and it feels kinda like when you get in a great car, that drives so well it's like it's reading your mind.

I think my face just melted after fighting through this arena in Hell on Ultra-Violence difficulty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N28628Q76mg

I just had to quit the game after that. It's actually too good for me to handle.

Just wait until you get to the last fight in that map. That fight was just a little warmup.

I mean it is already about to pass DOOM 3 and DOOM 3 BFG's numbers in only 4 days so there is that at least. If the momentum keeps going we are looking REALLY good

This isn't a very good comparison because DOOM 3 was originally released to retail only. It was added to Steam many years after it was originally released. DOOM 3 has sold over 4 million copies worldwide.

bidguy

Banned
DooooM isn't designed around precision
Enemies are large and gun aim is extremely generous

KB/M is only for headshots in CS

yea i agree. i see people gushing over the vulcan footage but im not seeing anything drastically different from what im doing with a pad. sure gun switching isnt as fast but that gif looks like random ass weapon switching while firing a few shots between them anyways

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Oh! Collectibles are saved independently from the checkpoints. I'm much less angry about them now. :p

rtcn63

I have been trying to like this game (loved Wolfenstein, love old Doom games) but it's just SO repetitive. Ultra Violent (which is the hardest I can choose) and the whole game just seems to be chaining glory kills to get health.

Glory Kills, imo, I wish you could turn them off somehow. The whole game just seems to be corridor to arena, to corridor. I assume the upgrade system is part of the fun and there are a ton of abilities I don't have yet, but so far nothing in the game has been fun to fight, and Glory Kills got old quick (like, after the 5th one).

Does it get better? Or should I just exit out and realise this one isn't for me?

Enemies become more diverse around the third or fourth mission. Even with different weapons, things do get repetitive. Fighting waves upon waves of enemies (some of which can be considered boss fights) and iffy platforming seem to be the core of the game. Things only get more hectic as the missions progress. Admittedly, it's much more fun than not, and I can definitely see why many people see it as a breath of fresh air compared to recent FPS titles.

mrqs

I'm halfway trhough the campaing, amazing. Best game of the year with Uncharted 4.

Question: Multiplayer is dead just for me? I live in Brazil and i can't find even 4 people to start a match. I don't know if the matchmaking is global or local, maybe here in Brazil very few people bought it. Has anyone had problems with it?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Dips all the time later. Nothing too bad though.
The heavy dips only seem to happen to me when using Berserk. Other than that it holds up pretty well with some hiccups here and there. Still a great level of performance given how good it looks and how hectic it is.

Woorloog

Banned
Playing multiplayer... There's no chance in hell anyone using controller will ever do anywhere near as good as KB/M players. Even with such a gimped, limited system the frigging loadout system is.

antitrop

Right. I've played about four hours so far on PS4 and have experienced almost no drops in framerate, looks gorgeous as well.
Yeah. I can count the number of noticeable drops I've seen on PS4 on one hand.

It drops a few frames during the Glory Kills, because of the high-quality depth of field being used during those, but other than that it's pretty rock solid.

Razilez

Where do you guys keep finding these?

I've seen pics of other easter eggs but I haven't actually run into any of them :/

It was in
one of the hell levels
but I forget which :S It's pretty hidden as it's
in an invisible wall/crack you can jump into

Prime example of the handicap that controllers have. They are perfectly doable, but the weapon switching especially is much slower.
But time slows when you're switching so its not that big a deal.

Not going to argue that KB/M isn't far more precise, but I was actually shocked at how well this game felt with the controller once I dialed in some tweaks to the settings.

Woorloog

Banned
I wish the multiplayer didn't have loadouts and those fucking perk things.

Basically, a classic arena shooter modern graphics and Doom flavor, with double jumps (add control during double jumps like that one rune allows in SP) and ledge grabs.
If it were that, i'd have ideal multiplayer game for this decade.*

(And of course, a lot of the weapons would have to be tweaked (some, like Hellshot feel utterly worthless) but that's a minor thing.)

As it is, i think i won't play MP anymore.

*Before someone suggests the new Unreal Tournament, i'll note i do not like movement in it. The dodge move is really something i could do without, nor do i like the graphical style (though admittedly it is pre-alpha so graphics stuff is unlikely to be final).

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
One thing this game does need to fix is the volume on the id logo at startup. I've reported it since the alpha but it's still 10x as loud as the game audio. It practically blows out my ears every time. I can put my headphones down and walk across the room and it's still clear.

Top Bottom