• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Drewfonse

One thing this game does need to fix is the volume on the id logo at startup. I've reported it since the alpha but it's still 10x as loud as the game audio. It practically blows out my ears every time. I can put my headphones down and walk across the room and it's still clear.

No fucking joke. It's ludicrously loud.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
How far away from the doors are the levers for the classic levels usually? I know where all the doors are but I only found two levers my first time through and I want to find them by myself.

YuShtink

I just felt compelled to say that this game reminded me that Ultra-Violence is (and always was) the single greatest name for a difficulty mode ever. 8 year old me loved it and 30 year old me still loves it. That is all.

h0tp0ck3t

Man fuck the rich get richer
fuck the rocket launcher
fuck Spectres

And now after 45 minutes of failed attempts I can do this

JzzMen0.gif

100% worth it!

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Found a skip in the Argent Tower level.

The momentum from those raising platforms can boost you to an area you're not supposed to immediately get to. You simply jump while its going up. I'd imagine it could save 30-40 seconds in a speedrun.

Woorloog

Banned
Found a skip in the Argent Tower level.

The momentum from those raising platforms can boost you to an area you're not supposed to immediately get to. You simply jump while its going up. I'd imagine it could save 30-40 seconds in a speedrun.

Ah, yes, that trick.
I got to a Rune early because of that. And skipped an encounter because of that... and when i went back via the route you're supposed to go up, i encountered a funny bug where opening a door from inside somehow moved me to outside so that i can get in...

Demoskinos

I love rampaging around as a Baron in Multi. Chasing some poor helpless dude around and then biting his torso clean in half is good clean fun.

Sub_Level

Ah, yes, that trick.
I got to a Rune early because of that. And skipped an encounter because of that... and when i went back via the route you're supposed to go up, i encountered a funny bug where opening a door from inside somehow moved me to outside so that i can get in...

Yep, I did the same exact thing lol.

Game is not the most polished thing in the world. But it works.

The Flash

Banned
Gonna try to get all the weapon masteries before I finish the campaign. The room with all the
possessed in Lazarus
should help a good deal.

Stoze

How far away from the doors are the levers for the classic levels usually? I know where all the doors are but I only found two levers my first time through and I want to find them by myself.

They're generally pretty close, but there are some where you can't see the entrance from where you pull the lever. None of them I've gotten are way across the map though.

Sub_Level

They are usually either within double jump distance or on the same 'wall' above or below the door.

Don't youtube them!

Woorloog

Banned
Yep, I did the same exact thing lol.

Game is not the most polished thing in the world. But it works.

Compared to some games, this is rather polished overall.

Indeed, the only bugs i've encountered are:
The route/door bug mentioned above.
VEGA Central Processing challenges are buggy.
In the same mission and final mission i had combat encounters that never ended despite killing everything.

Other than these certain areas being rather demanding from GPU, things in this game have worked really well. I am very impressed indeed.

I found way more bugs in The Witcher 3 (with latest patch) and Starcraft 2 LotV at launch...

Sub_Level

Other than these certain areas being rather demanding from GPU, things in this game have worked really well. I am very impressed indeed.

I'd add the player gibs when being blown up are sloppy. Its a fixed animation, not a set of physics-enabled objects that drop to the floor. Which means often I'll see Doomguy's guts floating in mid-air lol.

Grisby

Man, this is such a fun game. Levels are way more open than I thought they would be. Plays really well, but of course,you guy probably know that!

Only issue is the game looks a little 'soft' (?) sometimes on the Xbox, and the visual design is a little blah here and there. Weapons, effects, and monsters look great, but he levels themselves can be a bit bland.

RowdyReverb

You can go back in through level select and get it and you don't even have to finish the mission,
Yeah, but it's the Argent Tower and I'm pretty sure it was right at the end of the level. I guess it's probably faster to get there again if I'm not secret hunting on the way
Does it take your weapons away or anything when you level select?

tesqui

The runes I'm currently using make me stupid fast haha. I got faster glory kill execution, air control, and glory kills give you a boost in speed. Also combined with the speed perks of the praetor suit. Gotta go fast!

Wow, okay. I guess I don't understand what I'm supposed to do at the
Spider Demon
. It does this laser that sweeps across the screen twice, I noticed the column blocks it, but only once and there aren't enough columns to block both sweeps? What the hell am I supposed to do?

Atlas157

So I'm having problems with the PC version. The game plays buttery smooth on my PC but it often crashes to desktop without warning. Is there any way to fix this?

Specs: i5 4690k 4.0Ghz, GTX 980 on latest Nvidia drivers, Windows 10 64-bit

It crashed like three times today.

just played like the first 5 hrs.
fucking awesome.
on pc and still not great with a kb/m so that made it a bit more challenging but its also making for great kb/m practice.

the game just flows so well and is so satisfying

FrsDvl

Spider Demon
. It does this laser that sweeps across the screen twice, I noticed the column blocks it, but only once and there aren't enough columns to block both sweeps? What the hell am I supposed to do?

What I did, was
use the BFG when I couldn't avoid something, which would cause it to stop attacking for a short period, causing you to avoid that kind of stuff.

What I did, was
use the BFG when I couldn't avoid something, which would cause it to stop attacking for a short period, causing you to avoid that kind of stuff.

Nice. Yeah you're right, I realized at some point that there was too much unavoidable damage, I had to use the BFG and then I could Railgun it to spawn health drops and heal myself.

I have to admit, that final glory kill on the
Spider Demon
was fucking glorious. A hard earned kill after a long boss fight.

Oh damn, that ending.
They really left the door open for the sequel. Fuck you, Samuel Hayden. You pulled the same shit on Doomguy that the guy with the briefcase kept on doing to Gordon Freeman. Keeping him around to do your dirty work. I hope Doomguy crushes your cybernetic skull in the sequel. Maybe this time we can get a proper new DOOM II: Hell on Earth!

TP

Spider Demon

You can jump the first sweep and crouch the last

on one occasion I was able to climb a pillar, double jump and stay in the air long enough to avoid the attack

You can jump the first sweep and crouch the last

on one occasion I was able to climb a pillar, double jump and stay in the air long enough to avoid the attack

Oh wow...I totally forgot I had a crouch in this game. >_>

Yeah, I figured out how to jump the first sweep. I had no idea I was supposed to crouch for the second. Oh well.

This credit sequence is hilariously badass, like the whole rest of the game.
Chibi Doomguy <3

Top Bottom