• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

mcz117chief

Yeah, what do you mean?

Like I have already said: every time I fire a shot it materialises about 3 meters in front of me with another shot exiting the barrel, the shot that materialised further away travels normally but the one that leaves the barrel vanishes a moment later. I have looked all over youtube and every single video has the same problem, it is extremely jarring.

Anyone else find the glory kills really disorienting? They way it teleports you over and zooms in, I briefly lose track of where the enemies are after it completes. I try to ignore using them, but they seem like a requirement to keep you alive

How does the campaign in the compare to Wolfenstein:TNO? While I liked what I played of Wolfenstein it wasn't really worth $45 to me. I'm kind of assuming it's the same deal here of this is more $20 or $30 game, but I can be convinced. I actually want to be convinced I haven't played a shooter campaign in a while.

hughesta

Banned
This game is so fucking good. Just took the
train out if the destroyed Argent Facility,
think I'm probably halfway done, maybe 60%. Having an absolute blast.

Vintage

It's stupid that Nightmare is locked from the start. I'm playing in Ultra-violence and most of the time it feels too easy :/

dawid

The game is great. But i think it gets a little too much credit for having the feeling of the original Doom-games. Something i don't think is even possible in a modern game.

To me it feels much more like a (somewhat) worthy single player-successor to Quake 2. And it gives me hope of a future game like this with a little more depth and with the Quake-brand on it from ID.

Memories..

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1047842

3oEduNJQsLMJbHg9Es.gif

It makes me shiver thinking how we could've ended up with this garbage instead of the masterpiece we actually got.

In some alternate universe out there, people are playing that brown, shitty version of DOOM.

//DEVIL//

Some guy sold his copy to the store 1 day after he bought it new. I got a call from the store since the guy who works there is my friend ( the code isn't even used yet ) for 28$.

I really couldn't be any happier with this purchase. I am enjoying the multiplayer of the game allot ( the single player I played like 10 minutes and I stopped ). I like a story in the single player lol.

The multiplayer though,,, Is really amazing.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I am using 100 X, 86 Y, no autoaim and no smoothing. Being able to claw makes this game feel amazing.

God damn UV is an entirely different game.

110 FoV too

The fact that the game is smooth 60 FPS ~100% of the time with this Level of quality on PS4 and with all the customisation options (user controlled FoV spanning between 90 and 110 degrees, user controlled camera motion blur quality and chromatic aberration, etc...) is quite mind blowing.

24hr

Picked up the game simply for the multiplayer despite all the negative/poor reviews. And I must say, I love it. It took me a few games to get going but once I did it was such a breathe of fresh air. Brilliant so far.

The fact that the game is smooth 60 FPS ~100% of the time with this Level of quality on PS4 and with all the customisation options (user controlled FoV spanning between 90 and 110 degrees, user controlled camera motion blur quality and chromatic aberration, etc...) is quite mind blowing.

It runs great on PC, too. This engine is just amazing. Really the only gripe I have with it is texture pop-in, but it's nowhere near as bad as it was in Rage and Wolf TNO.

Levito

Banned
Playing this game on a mouse + keyboard really is night and day compared to a controller. I was struggling with ultraviolence difficulty on a gamepad, but on m+kb it's much easier.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It runs great on PC, too. This engine is just amazing. Really the only gripe I have with it is texture pop-in, but it's nowhere near as bad as it was in Rage and Wolf TNO.

The team behind this DOOM is certainly amazing :)!
(not that I dislike this engine or virtual texturing :))

I'm sure it's been asked, but how exactly do the collectibles work? I find these little doom action figures (mad fucking cute btw), but I don't know how to access the skins they seem to be unlocking. Or are they simply there to collect? Thanks!

EDIT:

Nevermind, I learned how to read the menu. Kinda lame that it's just a model viewer. I thought it was giving me new skins to use for weapons and enemies.

Neiteio

I'm sure it's been asked, but how exactly do the collectibles work? I find these little doom action figures (mad fucking cute btw), but I don't know how to access the skins they seem to be unlocking. Or are they simply there to collect? Thanks!

EDIT:

Nevermind, I learned how to read the menu. Kinda lame that it's just a model viewer. I thought it was giving me new skins to use for weapons and enemies.
Model viewers are actually my favorite kind of unlockable. Especially in this game where the monster designs are so good! I also like how they let you pause the animations. :)

jfoul

I'm sitting here at work, and I'm thinking about playing Doom. It's been quite awhile since I've felt this way about an SP experience. My Uncharted 4 play session has even been shelved for now.

fastmower

Really? So you have to play until level 6, then halfway start from beginning if you want to play Nightmare? Or is it possible to change difficulty in the middle of campaign?
I'm sure there is a launch property you can put in to unlock all difficulties (on PC).

I'm a Doom fan from 1994,1995. but I only finished the first Wolfenstein and didn't play other games in that series for more than 1,2 hours.
As a person who LOVES new Doom, should I play Wolfenstein: The New Order?

jfoul

I wish the game would stop just closing itself on PC.
That is really annoying.

I had this problem with my GTX980 until I updated the drivers from 364.72 to 365.19 (Win10/64bit). I haven't had the game close to desktop since.

legbone

I'm a Doom fan from 1994,1995. but I only finished the first Wolfenstein and didn't play other games in that series for more than 1,2 hours.

right now. do not wait. it was the best shooter i played this generation. and now i'm trying to decide which i like better, it or doom.

Produce

Finished the game today on Hurt Me Plenty and scored the platinum trophy. Great single player campaign, loved the fast pace and focus on combat. Need to replay it with the difficulty bumped up as it was a cake walk. id, please give us some story-based DLC please.

Multiplayer didn't click with me. With all the Quake 3 vibes I was getting, I just ended up playing that again.

Snapmap is quite interesting, but Valkyria Chronicles Remastered calls. Will go back and play around on a rainy day.

Quick question: The database entries I have unlocked for stuff like environment & monsters just stop mid sentence. Do you have to expand the entries (similar to Witcher 3) to keep adding information or is this some king of glitch?

Quick question: The database entries I have unlocked for stuff like environment & monsters just stop mid sentence. Do you have to expand the entries (similar to Witcher 3) to keep adding information or is this some king of glitch?

It's a glitch. The only "fix" I know of is to switch to another entry in that category, then go back to the one you were just reading.

dEvAnGeL

Not being a "FPS" fan due to motion sickness i decided to give this a try due to my coworker praising the hell out of this game, bought the game after finishing uncharted 4, i said let's give it a try, god damn man what an incredible game, let me start by the obvious, this game looks incredible gorgeous and coming from playing uncharted I didn't think another game would WOW me so soon and what makes it more impressive is the fact that the frame rate is rock solid, the gameplay and crazy! And the level design is truly impressive, some would think im crazy for what im about to say but this game atmosphere reminds me a lot of dead space, like a lot ohh and the motion sickness? A Gaffer told me to play with the FOV and i feel fantastic playing it, a truly gem indeed, so glad i pick this up

Ulysses 31

what about it. huh, what about it. just kidding. doom 64 gets shit on but it was the first doom i ever played (never had a pc as a young adult) and it holds a special place in my heart, warts and all.

Just boggles my mind a bit when Doom 64 is next gen leap coming from Doom 1 & 2 (unmodded) and remains faithfull(IMO) to what made those games great(well with some more emphasis on puzzles).

I would seem to me that people who say they're fans of Doom 1 & 2, would at least have notion that Doom 64 exists and acknowledge it. >.<

legbone

Just boggles my mind a bit when Doom 64 is next gen leap coming from Doom 1 & 2 (unmodded) and remains faithfull(IMO) to what made those games great(well with some more emphasis on puzzles).

I would seem to me that people who say they're fans of Doom 1 & 2, would at least have notion that Doom 64 exists and acknowledge it. >.<

oh i see, you weren't shitting on it. that's so rare with the people i know.

damidu

i'd say its even better.
wolfenstein also has a pretty good story and likable characters etc.
it has similar satisfying level-design and gunplay but is nowhere as crazy fast-paced as doom.
just check a few gameplay vids to get a feeling of it.

playing doom made me wanna replay it badly.

Just a note that Wolfenstien: TNO is not Doom 2016, at all. It's a narrative heavy shooter in the vein of Half Life 2 with the character work the members of MachineGames are great at (Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay, The Darkness). It's actually a little odd to see it mentioned alongside Doom so often besides being a great shooter under the Bethesda publishing arm. It's not anywhere near as adherent to the old school as DOOM looks to be (haven't played it yet but I've seen enough).

Still, it's a fantastic game so go for it. Just know what you're going into.

If you were in Iran, you didn't know anything about N64 without internet in those years! :D PS1 was so popular here, but no one had N64 here and you couldn't buy games like Doom 64. and there weren't game magazines too.
First time I found about Doom 64 was about 2003,2004 if I remember correctly. those days I was searching a lot about Doom 3 in internet and sites like Planet Doom and comparing demons and weapons with classic Dooms, and I found that there was a version of Doom for N64!

Top Bottom