• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

54-46!

My biggest pet peeve with this game is the unskipable cutscenes, why make about Doomguy not giving a shit in the intro and then not let me do the same thing?

pa22word

I'm a Doom fan from 1994,1995. but I only finished the first Wolfenstein and didn't play other games in that series for more than 1,2 hours.
As a person who LOVES new Doom, should I play Wolfenstein: The New Order?

I didn't like TNO at all and I love Doom 4.

As other posters have pointed out, TNO isn't really like this game at all. It's basically the chronicles of riddick with a completely asinine RPG leveling system and with way more of a focus on shooting vs melee.

Also: be prepared to mash E a lot T_T

My biggest pet peeve with this game is the unskipable cutscenes, why make about Doomguy not giving a shit in the intro and then not let me do the same thing?

If you're on PC you can skip them with a launch option.

Pretty sure it's this one:

"+com_skipKeyPressOnLoadScreens 1"

i'd say its even better.
wolfenstein also has a pretty good story and likable characters etc.
it has similar satisfying level-design and gunplay but is nowhere as crazy fast-paced as doom.
just check a few gameplay vids to get a feeling of it.

playing doom made me wanna replay it badly.
Thanks! will buy it without doubt.

Just a note that Wolfenstien: TNO is not DOOM 2016, at all. It's a narrative heavy shooter in the vein of Half Life 2 with the character work the members of MachineGames are great at (Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay, The Darkness). It's actually a little odd to see it mentioned alongside DOOM so often besides being a great shooter under the Bethesda publishing arm. It's not anywhere near as adherent to the old school as DOOM looks to be (haven't played it yet but I've seen enough).

Still, it's a fantastic game so go for it. Just know what you're going into.
That's great! I really like these games, and The Darkness was one of my favourite games of last gen. (I know it's very different from Wolfenstein)
I will try it. it's very cheap these days.

As other posters have pointed out, TNO isn't really like this game at all. It's basically the chronicles of riddick with a completely asinine RPG leveling system and with way more of a focus on shooting vs melee.

Also: be prepared to mash E a lot T_T
Thank you too! I think I'll enjoy it. I really like a game like Riddick with more shooting.

-----------------

Sorry for posts about Wolfenstein in Doom thread! :)

I finished the campaign. Amazing.

Whatever critical reservations I had about the design in the early parts is gone. All I want is more after all that and the end there, god damn.

oEIdGbN.jpg
bvSXUJl.png

Mr. Tibbs

I'm in the same boat. Wolfy didn't work for me at all, but Doom's a seriously great shooter. That said, I appreciated TNO's leveling system, which Doom's adopted and successfully expanded upon.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I'm a Doom fan from 1994,1995. but I only finished the first Wolfenstein and didn't play other games in that series for more than 1,2 hours.

It's worth checking out. Far more plot driven than you may expect, and it offers a pretty decent stealth option through several areas of the game if you choose. You can of course just mow through nazis by dual equipping any gun too. Levels aren't as sprawling as new Doom, but still generally large with a few secrets to hunt down. My biggest issue was the severity of the bullet sponge enemies(especially if playing the highest difficulty), found myself vastly preferring my second play on normal which was too easy but avoided the need for constant cover. it's far more interesting to strafe and unload. I definitely prefer new Doom by far, but wolfenstein is a solid FPS.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

As others have said, The New Order has far, far more in common with something like Half-Life 2 over DOOM.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
But I killed everything...

Some enemies spawn by certain trigger points you likely did miss. One of my minor pet peeves with the game, hunting down the last few enemies can be real tedious, almost aimlessly backtracking until you find the right trigger spot.

Simo

Are you sure? lol

I know like some enemies pop up if you only follow a specific path, like that section in the foundry where there's armor at the back of the room that has a Gore Nest you need to jump and navigate the pipes and broken bridge above the molten lead and if you travel one way an Imp jumps up onto the platform behind you. lol

pa22word

I'm in the same boat. Wolfy didn't work for me at all, but Doom's a seriously great shooter. That said, I appreciated TNO's leveling system, which Doom's adopted and successfully expanded upon.

D4's isn't nowhere near as arbitrary as Wolf's, and if anything it greatly simplified it to the betterment of the game.

"Throw 15 knifes at dudes heads to unlock faster strafing"

like what the fuck is that

It was a completely transparent and badly implemented box art bullet point added because they were afraid people would get tired of playing a linear shooter for 16 hours.

If I'm being honest, I'd like doom more if that shit was gone here too, but as is it's harmless enough. The game doesn't start the "do x, y amount of times" garbage until you get most of the more necessary upgrades anyways, so the progression curve feels more natural instead of just completely bonkers like it does in wolf.

d3vnull

Some enemies spawn by certain trigger points you likely did miss. One of my minor pet peeves with the game, hunting down the last few enemies can be real tedious, almost aimlessly backtracking until you find the right trigger spot.

Are you sure? lol

I know like some enemies pop up if you only follow a specific path, like that section in the foundry where there's armor at the back of the room that has a Gore Nest you need to jump and navigate the pipes and broken bridge above the molten lead and if you travel one way an Imp jumps up onto the platform behind you. lol

Cheers, guys.

Beat the game on Ultra-Violence, and got my first level on Ultra Nightmare done. Holy crap that was way more stressful than anything on my main playthrough. The chasm between Nightmare and UV is enormous. I feel like UV should've been a step above what it was, but it was still a great play. Some of the bigger fights were extremely satisfying, and actually baited me into using BFG ammo, something I probably would've avoided if they'd not been so spectacular. Hell of a game. I may or may not come back in time to knock out a Nightmare playthrough. I have no aspirations to take my Ultra Nightmare play any further than I have.

That's incorrect. You can select nightmare right off the bat even though it's highlighted in red, on the PS4 version at least anyway. UN is locked though.

This is the same on PC. I had the same perception as him though. I picked UV at the beginning of the game because I thought it was the highest available difficulty. I didn't realize my mistake until I was two levels from the end of the game.

Had the same thing happen to me on Foundry. I was watching during the mission, and I felt like one of the fights that I died during didn't spawn all waves correctly when I respawned. It lowered my combat score dramatically as a result, and I finished the level painfully close to finishing that last point.

Nothing to do but to go back and do it again with your superpowered loadout.

jambo

I had some weird ones with the spawn triggers.

At the start of the foundry level, a few zombies and some demons are spawned in across the bridge, but if you go in the door to the left, and then instantly walk out again, they disappear.

I also walked through some empty rooms, then down a specific hallway, which would cause a bunch of demons to spawn in the previous room.

Demption

Wasn't a huge fan of TNO, though i enjoyed it. I'm tempted to buy this but the speed of the gameplay has me wondering should i buy it because i only have PS4 and not PC. How is the gamplay with controller?

That's great! I really like these games, and The Darkness was one of my favourite games of last gen. (I know it's very different from Wolfenstein)
I will try it. it's very cheap these days.

If you enjoyed those, I think you'll enjoy Wolf: TNO. It's like their old Starbreeze games with good shooting mechanics. There's even a hub and prison levels. And sharp object melee kills. And an analog leaning/crouching system. Amazing touches for someone like me who adores Riddick/The Darkness.

epmode

I can only imagine that the few long, unskippable cutscenes are leftovers from development hell.

Hedrush

This is the same on PC. I had the same perception as him though. I picked UV at the beginning of the game because I thought it was the highest available difficulty. I didn't realize my mistake until I was two levels from the end of the game.

Yeah it's weird why its in red. You're automatically think it's locked.

What exactly is the aim smoothing setting on console?
It's aim/turn acceleration. The speed of your aim will always start out slow and then quickly ramp up to max aiming speed based on how much you're tilting the analog stick. Try it with 100% and than 0% and you'll feel the difference. I greatly prefer it at 0%, personally.

I can only imagine that the few long, unskippable cutscenes are leftovers from development hell.

I didn't actually realize how long the forced talky bits can get until today when I replayed the level with
Olivia's office
to get a missed challenge. I was watching something while replaying, so I had the volume off (sacrilege! I know.) After getting the challenge and pushing the button required to move onto the next part of the level, I was pretty surprised that the silent conversation between VEGA and Optimus Prime seemed to go on for more than a minute while I did literally nothing. Bad form, that. Ah, well.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
My only reservation about the game so far is that I went into it not wanting to engage with the melee system as much as just shooting, but it seems like it forces you to melee to keep the rhythm going at all. Like, I want to blow a room away with a shotgun, but in this, instead of the satisfaction of just gunning through, here you have a room full of staggered enemies flashing gold. It won't be impossible to get used to melee in nearly every encounter, but I'm not a fan of it being forced on you in a way.

ok I'm not crazy. I noticed this in one of the cutscenes with Hayden. It was especially weird because you can walk around during it.

Gettin gkilled by a barren or possesed for example caps @ 60 as well. I actuall yjsut tweeted tiago abou those small 60fps left overs. Who knows... perhaps tehy can be patched out so that the game always looks smooth (and yeah, after staring and playing @ 120hz for so long in a gameplay session, 60 looks choppy and feels awful on the mouse).
My only reservation about the game so far is that I went into it not wanting to engage with the melee system as much as just shooting, but it seems like it forces you to melee to keep the rhythm going at all. Like, I want to blow a room away with a shotgun, but in this, instead of the satisfaction of just gunning through, here you have a room full of staggered enemies flashing gold. It won't be impossible to get used to melee in nearly every encounter, but I'm not a fan of it being forced on you in a way.

You do not need to melee at all to keep the rythym of gameplay up. An entire gameplay section on Nightmare where I only melee once, at the end.

dlauv

Finished it on UV. It was a moderately low challenge, but still pretty fun. The last
two
bosses were challenging. Tossed my review into the pit of positives on the Steam store.

Secret/cheevo hunting now.

Very early on and I'm having a blast but it's really difficult to find the secrets on the map, even when you know where the icon is

I love this. It alleviates tedium while still challenging and fun. Be sure to grab the treasure-hunting suit perks.

SeanR1221

Very early on and I'm having a blast but it's really difficult to find the secrets on the map, even when you know where the icon is

Wasn't a huge fan of TNO, though i enjoyed it. I'm tempted to buy this but the speed of the gameplay has me wondering should i buy it because i only have PS4 and not PC. How is the gamplay with controller?

I played on PS4. I loved the game. I might have felt a bit clunky and out of sorts for the early 20% of the game, but that was really just me acclimating to it. By the end of the game I felt like a mid-air, rail gun bad ass... who just occasionally got lazy.

Playing DOOM immediately after Uncharted 4 just highlights how much I've grown out of the 'cinematic experiences' the latter kind of shooter tends to provide. Wolfenstein: The New Order being one of the few exceptions in years since it successfully balanced old-school sensibilities with modern presentation in my eyes. Argent Tower alone - which I believe was approximately the fourth chapter? - already contains more combat scenarios and platforming (with some risk to boot) than the entirety of Uncharted 4's campaign, without sacrificing the difficulty curve either. I'm enjoying DOOM way more than I originally anticipated, even as someone who went into this super sceptical due to Bethesda's lousy marketing.

The game really starts hitting its stride as soon as you enter Argent Tower too. My favourite chapter so far. I'm also surprisingly not hating on the melee system either (and by extension the chainsaw) despite Bethesda trying its damnest to make it look as unappealing as possible, since there's a functional reason to punching demon's heads clean off. Animations are admittedly janky and the sound effects could certainly use more oomph, but I appreciate the thought put into that mechanic nonetheless. I'd buy a single player expansion in a flash if id Software stays consistent like this.

You don't "need" to melee. It's best served as a situational option when you're suddenly in a pinch, since most combat scenarios so far have plenty of health packs or ammunition sitting around for you to discover if you keep moving.

Jito

Banned
Snapmap question. Does anyone know how to put a door cap over a door which is connected to another room, my only options when attaching another room is a selection of doors when all I want is a wall.

Unit24

Doom is now crashing so much that it's pretty much not even worth playing anymore. That was the third time in the last 2 hours of play.

ZehDon

Snapmap question. Does anyone know how to put a door cap over a door which is connected to another room, my only options when attaching another room is a selection of doors when all I want is a wall.
You can't, unfortunately. Just set the door to locked, and don't provide an unlock/open trigger. Not ideal, however it works.

Demoskinos

On first Hell mission. How do I do these "Leg Sweep" Glory Kills? I know I've seen them before but I'm not sure how I activated em'.

Top Bottom