• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

protonion

There are enemies with guns, but the guns are all projectile based and not hitscan.

That's perfect!
Years ago I made a topic about this. Basically I always thought that bullets in games is a bad mechanic. I hate this invisible, instant projectile. There is nothing fun in getting showered in them ,hit markers all over the place etc.

pa22word

Playing Tower of Babel makes me sad they never used that vanilla encounter cyber demon AI for regular mob encounters. Drop that bastard in a room with tons of imps, baron's of hell, and cacodemons roaming around and it would be insanity.

Damn that Rich Get Richer rune challenge is fucking difficult. So many suicide deaths from rocket explosions. I really wish they let you keep your upgrades while doing the rune trials. Not having the air control rune sucks so bad. Took me over 20 tries. Worth it though for the rune you get.

My many years of running backwards while firing rockets during my Quake 1/2/3 days really paid off there lol. That was actually one of the easier rune trials for me.

So I actually cleared this one on my first try, then after that I was wandering around a bit and got a random CTD and when I reloaded my game it reloaded to before I did the rune challenge...and then it took me like 25-30 tries to finally get it down again. Roughest run trial by a county mile. I retried that single trial more than all the others combined. Most of them I got on one go, though.

A-V-B

What about the possessed soldiers, otherwise known as the assholes with the energy shields? They seem to rock some kind of shotgun/scattergun.

I think those weapons work more like explosions than hitscan? I've been fairly close to those guys and not been hit while they were firing.

The Flash

Banned
So for upgrading the Rich Get Richer rune I have to start with zero armor and get it all the way to max level (200 for me) correct? That's how I'm understanding the requirement at least.

TP

Playing Tower of Babel makes me sad they never used that vanilla encounter cyber demon AI for regular mob encounters. Drop that bastard in a room with tons of imps, baron's of hell, and cacodemons roaming around and it would be insanity.

They don't?

That's fucking weak. I expected him to show up multiple times in Nightmare

So the screenshots on the store page are bullshit or snapmap?

http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/s...f1d6459da1139a484203efef1447.jpg?t=1463509288

Do demons spawn during boss fights on Nightmare?

I dunno with the way boss encounters work in Doom 4 I'm not sure having multiple enemies to deal with would work. Some abilities would need to be disabled.

This is kind of what I thought it was like to play this glorious game.

wdgMAuo.gif

dlauv

So for upgrading the Rich Get Richer rune I have to start with zero armor and get it all the way to max level (200 for me) correct? That's how I'm understanding the requirement at least.

Nah. Just get to cap regardless of where you are. So take a hit, recharge.

Super Shotgun and Siege Mode Gauss Cannon take care of everything. And if there is any problem one BFG shot can't take care of, make it two.

I used the regular shotgun a lot, but did use the Gauss Cannon. Don't know what the Siege Mode one is.

The Gauss Canon became my best friend, as did the BFG (although the shots only took about 1/6 of their health off.)

Bit lttp here but is there anywhere to get this for less than $60? I'd like to check it out, but I'm a bit light on cash after buying two VR headsets.

This game is great!

I didn't had this much fun with a FPS game in a long time.

It's fast, it's a lot of gore. The level design is good.

Multiplayer is oke. Played some matches and need to get used to it, but it's fun.

Running it my Dell XPS 15 and it's actually running quite well. With some tweaks and a lower res (720p) I am getting around 50-60 fps.

Jito

Banned
Ok I'm having huge issues with snapmap at the moment, enemy spawns just aren't responding to triggers anymore, I've got a group spawn tied to an enemies death, but they just don't appear when the imp dies, usually turning up minutes later for no reason?

Grisby

They fucking deserved it after the development hell this game went through. Carmack teased it in 2007.
Woof.

I'll be honest, it's amazing that the game came out in such good shape. I keep thinking this is a Wolfy situation, where Id didn't actually make the game, lol. They did a hell of a great job though.

The new bombcast talks about a prototype Doom 4 that was more COD? Then a few years ago that was all scrapped and they went back to the drawing board. They said there was some leaked footage or something, be curious to see it.

I am so glad this got scrapped. This game had like no identity. It's ugly and a remnant of the everything is CoD era. There aren't even any demons in the trailer so the only Doom-esque thing is the slightly futuristic weapons. It acts like its ashamed to be a fucking Doom game. Also, nobody should be helping you. You shouldn't be part of a group. You are DOOMGUY. You are a force of nature on the demons. You don't need help.

edit: now dont get me wrong Hell on Earth 2 would be cool but have some personality

Woorloog

Banned
Holy shit... i just installed the AMD beta driver and i got superb boost to FPS.
Time to increase some settings to Ultra...

EDIT Even with increased settings, i'm getting now 60+ at the starting room. Compared to 40ish i got at lowest before...

EDIT All Ultra, including Shadows? Still great. Now to find some combat.

I am so glad this got scrapped. This game had like no identity. It's ugly and a remnant of the everything is CoD era. There aren't even any demons in the trailer so the only Doom-esque thing is the slightly futuristic weapons. It acts like its ashamed to be a fucking Doom game. Also, nobody should be helping you. You shouldn't be part of a group. You are DOOMGUY. You are a force of nature on the demons. You don't need help.

edit: now dont get me wrong Hell on Earth 2 would be cool but have some personality

The thing is... Doom 2's level architecture meant that "Hell on Earth" never really looked much like "Earth". Like you're supposedly in a human city, that just so happens to be built like a Doom level... not a problem, I just don't think it being on Earth is that great an idea!

The thing is... Doom 2's level architecture meant that "Hell on Earth" never really looked much like "Earth". Like you're supposedly in a human city, that just so happens to be built like a Doom level... not a problem, I just don't think it being on Earth is that great an idea!

I think its an awesome idea but I agree that Doom 2 is a bit weird, and for what its worth the actual city levels are pretty bad.

tesqui

I'm on Ultra violent and these end game areas are stupid easy. It might have to do with me being almost fully upgraded, but man. I'm definitely going to give nightmare a try after I beat it.

Game runs great for me... except it keeps stuttering/freezing at times. It's like the game is stopping to load assets or something, it's worst when I enter a new area for the first time. After a minute or two in the area or after I reload it's not nearly as severe but it can be almost unplayable sometimes. Anyone encounter this?

Moff

you guys should play brutal doom: hell on earth
it's a brand new campaign that was released earlier this year for brutal doom, it very much looks like a human city and it's fantastic

you guys should play brutal doom: hell on earth
it's a brand new campaign that was released earlier this year for brutal doom, it very much looks like a human city and it's fantastic

Have to second this. The level design is great and you're essentially getting Doom 3 by way of 1995 or whatever and for free on top of it. Secrets are hard as balls to find, still haven't gotten all of them by a long shot.

Jito

Banned
Snapmap does seem to be fundamentally broken, what's the point of triggers and shit if they don't respond to inputs?

So I'm having an issue on ps4, I was originally able to switch weapons by simply pressing triangle, and now I can only switch weapons by using the weapon wheel. Does anyone know what happened?

Edit: nvm fixed itself, weird bug

I'm on Ultra violent and these end game areas are stupid easy. It might have to do with me being almost fully upgraded, but man. I'm definitely going to give nightmare a try after I beat it.

Doomguy power level scales up dramatically near the end of the game. I was just running around Siege Moding everything and things that didn't die to that got a BFG blast to the face. The bosses remained a strong challenge though.

Run-M-Run

I really would have loved to have the environments be more interactable(is that even a word). The world looks great but feels really static. Can't pop out lights or, well, anything really. And surprisingly there are no reflective areas, for example all mirrors are trashed in the game. Doom3 from 2004 could do it, why not Doom from 2016?

And while I love the game, just the demon designs are still my biggest gripe. The faces are just so.. gears of war. I would have loved them to have retained those human elements from the original doom. Make them creepy! Hell feels really tame too, I found D3 hell a lot creepier.

This is all nitpicking but things I would have preferred to see after all this wait.

I noticed this too. Ultra Violence was harder on earlier levels. Later you just get so much more stuff that things becomes easy. Only pinkies give me trouble.

Yep, it's all the same

Incredibly disappointing

I find that rather lazy.. games like these have such potential with varying the fights.

brau

I really would have loved to have the environments be more interactable(is that even a word). The world looks great but feels really static. Can't pop out lights or, well, anything really. And surprisingly there are no reflective areas, for example all mirrors are trashed in the game. Doom3 from 2004 could do it, why not Doom from 2016?

And while I love the game, just the demon designs are still my biggest gripe. The faces are just so.. gears of war. I would have loved them to have retained those human elements from the original doom. Make them creepy! Hell feels really tame too, I found D3 hell a lot creepier.

I agree with this. There are some instances in the levels of elevators smashing areas where you can get enemies to be plastered into bits. But apart from what i do with there was more context sensitive areas that could distort a level as you tear it to pieces with shooting. But its a minor thing.

I do love that enemy fire hurts enemies too. hehe

Neiteio

The monster designs are fantastic. I especially like how colorful the imps look. Be sure to check them out in the model viewer once they're unlocked. :)

RangerX

Banned
I'll be picking it up tomorrow. All the impressions on here have me pumped as fuck and I'm a big Doom fan. Whats the best difficulty to start on? I like a nice challenge.

squadr0n

Does someone have a good guide for where to find the OG Doom secret areas (Not sure what they are called lol)

Got this from Redbox lost nice on PS4 and it is awesome, much better than expected. Only gripe is that this game is not meant to be played with a controller. I cant wait to get it on PC so I can play with mouse and keyboard.

Top Bottom