• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

antitrop

Ps4 settings.

Do you guys adjust them at all?

Like motion blur or aim assist

Or this chromatic setting

Here's the changes in options that I did:

Game:
Crosshair: Simple
Compass: Off
Objective Markers: Off

Control:
Layout: STRAFE
Smoothing: 30%
Horizontal Sensitivity: 50%
Vertical Sensitivity: 42%

Sound:
100% Master
100% Music
60% Sound FX
50% Dialogue

Video:
FoV: 105

I got the game yesterday on Steam. Only played for an hour. I am not used to the character movement speed seems so fast. Looking forward to play more of it today.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Seems like I keep missing secrets lol. On level 3 I think. Just left the Vega server.

The levels take me a good 2 hours to explore and get all the secrets in. And sometimes I still miss some because you get locked off from earlier portions sometimes.

You have a VERY generous map though. It doesn't necessarily tell you how to get to the secret, but it pretty much tells you where they are.

Woorloog

Banned
Have any of you fully upgraded the pistol? I've barely used it past the first few levels aside from screwing around

Nope. I'm curious about how the upgraded form feels, but I haven't actually used the thing at all since the first level.

Still worthless weapon.

It attempts to be a sniper but it charges (and recharges) far too slowly to be really useful. If the upgrades boosted the standard attack firepower, it might be onto something but as it is, save your points.

EDIT On Nightmare, i am using the gun to save ammo in some cases but i doubt that will continue as i get more weapons. Also, most certainly not bothering to upgrade the gun.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
I finished the game last night on the hard difficulty and this area was fucking rough. By far the hardest area in the whole game. The annoying thing about the Pinkys is they do so much damage and most of my deaths is getting rammed by them off screen. God bless the chainsaw.

Pinkys are pure cannon fodder. Upgraded double shotgun for four shots at once and after two seconds they are dead with direct shots. Takes down pretty much everything else as well but it is especially useful for Pinkys since they are resistant to a lot of guns.

Justinh

Have any of you fully upgraded the pistol? I've barely used it past the first few levels aside from screwing around

Literally the very last weapon I upgraded. I still never use it. except for
when I needed to kill a Mancubus with one.

Pinkys are pure cannon fodder. Upgraded double shotgun for four shots at once and after two seconds they are dead with direct shots. Takes down pretty much everything else as well but it is especially useful for Pinkys since they are resistant to a lot of guns.

Oh geez, I hate them so much too.
If I'm not'a seizin' with the Gauss, and I even think I'll run into any Pinkies, I'll have the Plasma on deck and stun them when I see them and shove a SuperShotgun up their butt.

Sciz

To be fair, when id responded to the leaked concept art they said it had "nothing to do with what you're going to see in Doom 4." Maybe it was some Rage expansion or sequel before it was received poorly. Geez, it looks more like Metro than anything...

The screenshots didn't leak until 2012, well after that iteration was scrapped. So id's response is technically true!

MazeHaze

Banned
Going to pick this up at payday I think. Not sure whether to get it on PC or PS4 though?! As I can't play with KB and mouse to save my life haha.
I'm also new to kb and m (just got a pc in march) and I bought this on pc. Try it with kb and m but dont get discouraged at first. I was getting rekt for a bit but now it's bliss and I feel lik this game has finally helped me adjust to mouse aim. Give it a try, it's great training!

Pretty sure I'm getting close to the end, so rather than finish it, I'm going back through the levels and getting all the useful stuff I missed. Savoring this game.

What would you think if Doom had no map? Better, worse, or same?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Pretty sure I'm getting close to the end, so rather than finish it, I'm going back through the levels and getting all the useful stuff I missed. Savoring this game.

What would you think if Doom had no map? Better, worse, or same?

Worse. The originals had a map that were also good for finding secrets.

The upgrades do make it a little too easy. I won't argue that.

Cmagus

So I'm playing through right now finishing up the trophies and I notice that in one of my stages that after I completed my challenges and went back in I have a new one which is to find two collectibles. The issue is I've already found all the collectibles in the stage, has anyone encountered this at all and will it matter?

I was like.. wow, that cyberdemon was really easy.. and then he transported us to hell.

😓

there goes my spam BFG strategy. I'm taking a break, does anyone know if it checkpoints after you get through the
first phase of the cyberdemon
?

shanafan

Hmm. Trying to play PS4 online multiplayer, but can't seem to get into a match. Just sits at connecting. Tried TDM and DOM gametypes.

EDIT: Took a couple minutes, but finally connected.

So I'm going with a Nightmare run on PC after going through Ultra Violence on PS4. Almost through Hell.
It is kicking my ass but goddamn it is fun. Really tests your awareness and efficiency with the weapons.
I'm also taking on different upgrades this time around first, to change things up some more.

KahooTs

I'm curious to know how other people are experiencing the game, primarily with regards to difficulty. I'm playing on PC, at the end, on nightmare, purchasable guns maxed but none of the challenge upgrades. It takes me on average probably 4 or 5 attempts before clearing an arena. I avoid using the BFG outside of bosses because it kind of ruins the challenge. Pinkies and the shield bastards are my most hated foes.

Zackat

My expectations for a game haven't been this far off I think ever. This campaign is the best fps campaign I have ever played. And this Music. Is this the same guy who did the Killer Instinct stuff? So fucking good. Is there an OST for this?

I can't wait to upgrade my video card to play this on my PC. I really doubt my 770 could handle this well enough to justify the cost for the double dip right atm.

Woorloog

Banned
Hurt Me Plenty was quite easy for most part.
Ultra Violence is easily managed for most part. The final battle in VEGA Central Processing is somehow the hardest encounter in the game in my experience on both difficulties.

Nightmare? Geez, this thing is on whole another level. I'm losing against imps and i really need to think about my ammo use, health levels and how to deal with shield-zombies (explosive shot from combat shotty next to them seems effective).
Perhaps needless to say but i love the challenge.
(But not enough to subject myself to perma-death from Ultra-Nightmare or whatever the max difficulty is.)

Zackat

I knew I recognized that, it's some good stuff.

No :(

Hopefully there will be. He did the soundtrack for Wolfenstein and that was released eventually

robryansad.gif

The Flash

Banned

A lot of people have ripped the songs from the game and put them on YouTube at least.

What would be cool is if Bethesda made a deal with iam8bit to make a vinyl of the soundtrack like Sony and MS did for Uncharted and Quantum Break. I'd buy that in a heart beat.

tesqui

The boss battles feel like they should be in third person action game. It's like I'm fighting a Ratchet and Clank boss haha. Regardless, they still work and are pretty fun.

Mupod

got the burst fire mod, fully upgraded and started using the regular shotgun in my normal rotation again. Fuck waiting on the super shotgun reload time.

was mainly interested in a good single player campaign and seems like this game has that. How are ppl enjoying the multi player though? Any longevity?

taoofjord

The first
Hell
level was soooooooo good. Seriously. That and the first level have been my favorites so far. I'm also really enjoying the little bits of story and lore. It's just the right amount to add flavor without getting in the way.

Also, I've been playing in PC with a controller and am having a great time. They totally nailed the feel of aiming, it's perfect for the fast paced combat. But I'm thinking f picking up the PS4 version as well so I can play competitively with other controller users (can't do kb/m with my current PC setup. How's everyone liking MP?

Mupod

was mainly interested in a good single player campaign and seems like this game has that. How are ppl enjoying the multi player though? Any longevity?

it's kinda crap but I keep going back to it to try and find some value in it. Conclusion: download unreal tournament's pre-alpha instead.

psychotron

I have two questions. Anyone getting a stutter when they get a checkpoint? I'm on PS4, btw. Also, on the Foundry level, the map shows an entire area I haven't been to, but it doesn't make sense. The map shows a path leading into it, but there's a giant wall where the path should be. I reduced the contamination level to the minimum, but don't want to leave without finding that area. Any ideas?

Nicko

Hey gents and gals. Quick questions for you all on voice/language settings: What are the available options for PS4 version? I read there is quite a bit of language, and would prefer to turn it down/off without having to mute the audio completely. Are there any options for this?

Thanks,

Nicko

The Flash

Banned
Hey gents and gals. Quick questions for you all on voice/language settings: What are the available options for PS4 version? I read there is quite a bit of language, and would prefer to turn it down/off without having to mute the audio completely. Are there any options for this?

Thanks,

Nicko

You can turn voice down by itself. I haven't noticed any swearing at all, like none.

Best difficulty level to begin on for a pretty seasoned FPS cat?

Cheers, mangoes.

Most folks are starting off with Ultra Violence but you can also start with Nightmare.

HorseFD

Thanks,

Nicko

The music, effects and voice have separate volume controls.

Haines

Banned
I got the assault rifle and there's a gap between my pistol shotgun and than it in weapon wheel

Did I really miss picking up a gun?

Top Bottom