• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Disktrasa

Banned
Damn, i love the mp, want to play sp but ends up playing mp.

Do you think mp will have legs or is it empty severs in a month (damn you overwatch)

Justinh

They fucking deserved it after the development hell this game went through. Carmack teased it in 2007.
Cheese and Rice! Usually when a game's been on the rocks for that long it usually sucks from what I understand.
To be fair, when id responded to the leaked concept art they said it had "nothing to do with what you're going to see in Doom 4." Maybe it was some Rage expansion or sequel before it was received poorly. Geez, it looks more like Metro than anything...

edit: I concur with Ultra-Violence as starting point.

And surprisingly there are no reflective areas, for example all mirrors are trashed in the game. Doom3 from 2004 could do it, why not Doom from 2016?
Doom guy is obviously
joke/fake spoiler:
a vampire, as he has no reflection and the devs didn't want you to see that.
joke/fake spoiler: http://i.imgur.com/OdeceP3.jpg

Huh. So, the ending.
Seems people were right about it being somewhat anti-climatic. Didn't think it was necessarily awful, and it fits with the rest of the game in that it's quick and low on exposition, but it would've been nice if there was some more... oomph to it?

Y'know what should've made the last cutscene? Doomguy giving Hayden the middle finger before the smash cut to the title. I actually appreciated that id didn't go full Duke Nukem immaturity throughout the game, but if there were ever a perfect moment for Doomguy to flip the bird in utter frustration it should've been at the end. Definitely would've made it a lot more memorable.

Loved the shit out of this game.

Mr Swine

Banned
26 hours in and I'm still not done with Doom, but I think I'm nearing the end. I'm at the
Vega shutdown
level so I really don't have that much left out of this campaign

As a few may be aware I was top of the list with my concerns/complaints with this game.

I think the Season Pass for Maps and (no doubt) Pay To Win Weapons is as shitty as it gets and the Developer/Publisher can go and suck a ......

Anyway, I'm ashamed to say I am obviously part of the problem because after much great input from my fellow Gaffers and a general love for this Franchise (who doesn't?), I have enabled said Developer/Publisher think its ok with said shitty practices and may as well let them rip me a new arsehole as I've just bought it!

I considered buying it second hand to get one half over them but in the end I want games like this to be around (give me Quake!), plus I can share a Digital with my son.

I really would have loved to spend some serious time with the multiplayer but that is looking like a lost cause.......why bother when you'll be getting kicked from matches left and right if you've got the maps or not. Then I'll be getting my arse kicked by new weapons I wouldn't have, pissing me off no doubt. There will be no community or be split at best. Sigh....Why?... Perhaps if enough complain they'll not do this if they ever make another Quake?

In the end after PSN Card savings and £9.59 reward from Game UK (off original Day 1 ps4's) that was about to go to nothing, meant at £32 I could live with for Single Player.

Oh my, the Single Player....

Settings I adjusted:-
Auto Switch OFF
Auto Switch New OFF
Glory Kill Highlight OFF
Compass OFF
Boss Health Bar OFF
Controller Layout STRAFE
Horizontal Sensitivity 40%
Vertical Sensitivity 32%
Look Smoothing OFF
Aim Assist OFF
Music Audio 70%
Motion Blur High
CA OFF
FOV 90 (like the closeness I think)

Difficulty: Nightmare

Any other settings to adjust? Advise welcomed.

Only got time for a quick look but been on for 10 mins and had my arse kicked/killed twice (1st Arena Room) and no doubt will take me a good amount of time to adjust/git gud enough.

Atmosphere as the game started and the sounds are fucking beautiful. I'm looking at every detail of the graphics (like I always do in games, recently UC4) and soaking it all in. FUCK.IN.LOVE.IT!

Enemies/fireballs move much faster than I expected and doesn't come across as generic/easy as it looks in videos at all - in fact it feels fucking great!

:)

Thanks to those Gaffers whose input changed my mind!

Z3M0G

That's perfect!
Years ago I made a topic about this. Basically I always thought that bullets in games is a bad mechanic. I hate this invisible, instant projectile. There is nothing fun in getting showered in them ,hit markers all over the place etc.
This is a big part of why Destiny's gunplay is so good.

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
Just completed and this is now one of my all time favorite fps, I mean it was just fantastic, is it bad that I actually now want to know more about the world, the UAC, etc? I know it's not a very 'Doomguy' thing to say.

Fucking love the game, the credits
the QA scene was really well done
, OMG.

dumb question, but do you need to hold the weapon mod button to gain the extra modifications on the super shotgun? I only ask because all it seems to do is slightly aim down the sights.

TP

Huh. So, the ending.
Seems people were right about it being somewhat anti-climatic. Didn't think it was necessarily awful, and it fits with the rest of the game in that it's quick and low on exposition, but it would've been nice if there was some more... oomph to it?

Y'know what should've made the last cutscene? Doomguy giving Hayden the middle finger before the smash cut to the title. I actually appreciated that id didn't go full Duke Nukem immaturity throughout the game, but if there were ever a perfect moment for Doomguy to flip the bird in utter frustration it should've been at the end. Definitely would've made it a lot more memorable.

I actually really like the abrupt ending
That and the two locations visited made the whole game feel like a single episode. Even the game clear achievement is called Knee-Deep in the Dead

I really hope whatever's next continues the difficulty climb
let the first fight be against a cyberdemon and crew or some arachnotrons and arch-viles

RowdyReverb

Just when I start to feel like maybe UV isn't hard enough, I get to
hell
. This game sure knows how to pace out the difficulty curve

Rocketz

Beat the game a little bit ago. Feels good to kill stuff. Mick Gordan da god.

Bit repetitive but it knew what it wanted to be and that was fine by me. It was fun to just shoot some demons and not have to really deal with all the other nonsense.

Huh. So, the ending.

Doomguy got Gordon Freeman'd. He's going to be PISSED when they pop him out of stasis to save the world again in DOOM II: Hell on Earth. Well I mean more pissed than usual.

How does the multiplayer feel on console? Does it feel good with controller. Debating if I want this on PC or console.

I like controllers more but are a shooters seem better with m/kb

BFIB

3 guys I work with are constantly talking about this game. Looks like my next purchase after Uncharted. Maybe I'll trade in The Division.

Huh. So, the ending.

My (practical) dream ending would have been
a long, continuous descent into a deep pit of Hell, analogous but opposite the climbing you did in the Argent Tower, only with ever larger firefights as you got lower and lower. The pit would be deep enough that your boots wouldn't save you from a full on fall, so you have to plan your descent to take advantage of outcroppings and demon statues and overhangs, all while fighting (though with less intense enemy compositions as you did your precision falling, to keep it from being frustrating). You want that berzerk or quad damage power up? It'll take a dangerous jump over the abyss to nab em.

As you finally approached the bottom, things would start mixing hell and cyber elements, and at the very lowest depth would be the current spidermech boss, waiting for you.
I think that would have made a fitting end, while feeling different than previous arenas.

If only I could make it in snapmap ...

Zanosuke

Going to pick this up at payday I think. Not sure whether to get it on PC or PS4 though?! As I can't play with KB and mouse to save my life haha.

Depends on your computer. The PS4-version looks (medium settings) and plays great at 60 fps but if you have a 970 GTX or above I would recommend the PC-version for more bells and whistles. You can also connect your ps4-controller and play with that if KB/mouse isn't for you :)

Depends on your computer. The PS4-version looks (medium settings) and plays great at 60 fps but if you have a 970 GTX or above I would recommend the PC-version for more bells and whistles. You can also connect your ps4-controller and play with that if KB/mouse isn't for you :)

Yeah I've got a 970 so DOOM on PC it is. I'll get hammered on MP no doubt but I'm more interested in the singleplayer component anyways. Thanks for the info :)

Jin

Completed the game last night...

What the fuck happened at
VEGA'S CORE
id? Man I was so fucking pissed off, that fucking
last wave at the train station took me about 10-12 tries compared to the Spider Mastermind which I killed on my second try

If it weren't for the
BFG
and chainsaw, mother of god.

Man I was angry.
Pinkys and Cacodemons can fuck off and die
the worst enemies a game can have, shit they weren't so beefed up in classic dooms, goddam.

#angry

I finished the game last night on the hard difficulty and this area was fucking rough. By far the hardest area in the whole game. The annoying thing about the Pinkys is they do so much damage and most of my deaths is getting rammed by them off screen. God bless the chainsaw.

I found a bit of a glitch.

When you're riding the tram and you're inside of the car, if you hold the weapon wheel button Doomguy will levitate and peek through the roof a bit.

Top Bottom