• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

yeah I think you can get the next one early through a secret. but they "count" it as the third. don't worry though, the weapons are scattered throughout the campaign really liberally. if I didn't miss any, neither will you.

I got the assault rifle and there's a gap between my pistol shotgun and than it in weapon wheel

Did I really miss picking up a gun?

Some weapons are hidden , but you will find them several times later in spots you can't miss.

Many weapons can be found early in certain levels if you dig around, but they will always later be essentially placed in front of you in case you missed em.

got the burst fire mod, fully upgraded and started using the regular shotgun in my normal rotation again. Fuck waiting on the super shotgun reload time.

Yeah, I did the same for a time. Then super shotgun mastery became a thing and made it better but the regular shotgun still is awesome with the burst.

Game is goooood. One question about achievements
Is the first mission the only mission achievement you get? I feel like I am on the third mission but only got the achievement for the first mission.

The Flash

Banned
Game is goooood. One question about achievements
Is the first mission the only mission achievement you get? I feel like I am on the third mission but only got the achievement for the first mission.

You get one achievement for
beating the game on any difficulty and one for beating the first level on Ultra Nightmare

Fantomas

You guys like my shotgun and rocket launcher?

1EAl3MR.jpg

Sciz

Also, on the Foundry level, the map shows an entire area I haven't been to, but it doesn't make sense. The map shows a path leading into it, but there's a giant wall where the path should be. I reduced the contamination level to the minimum, but don't want to leave without finding that area. Any ideas?

Probably the classic level area. Look for a lever in the vicinity.

Man, trying to play this on hard and it's pretty tough. :x I'm at least typically able to get through an arena after dying the first time, but it's definitely a big step up from normal.

I'm enjoying the game overall but there are some elements that I dislike. I know that some of these may be standards set by the genre, but they irk me anyway.

Significantly, I find the game to be quite repetitive. Every room presents another set of the same enemies I've beaten before, in the previous room, the room configuration is different but because the game is so emphasized around the players movements the way the room is structured barely feels as if it matters in that it's easy enough to dodge and weave through the combat just as I did in the previous room. I'm playing on a difficulty above normal and even on console it seems very easy.

The games narrative seems quite awful, the overall theme and tone of the experience would be hilarious if I felt like it was self aware. I feel that the overall artistic direction was pulled out of the imagination of a 14 year old child. It's odd, because I'm a big fan of some of the themes like the music and artwork that this game features, but I just feel that it's trying far too hard to come across as 'angry' if that makes sense. I get it, this is what Doom was (roughly) in the 90s, but it's a shame it never grew up, in my opinion. I appreciate Shadow Warrior a lot more, as it is equally ridiculous, but self-aware.

Load times are a bummer too, and with the fact that you need to load the level and load in and out of rune challenges, you can spend around five minutes loading per level of the game if you factor a handful of deaths. Excessive load times make me dread dying and reduce my will to experiment with gunplay and platforming.

I actually like the multiplayer, it's fun. I played UT and other arena shooters in the past but I don't feel that it needs to be like that, to be entertaining. It's pretty polished for what it is, and retains the fast paced feel of the singleplayer within the framework of a Halo-like experience. I don't have a problem with that. I can see why peoples expectations lead to disappointment but I think sometimes it's a good idea to put your biases aside, it really isn't as bad as some people would make it out to be.

Syntsui

How scary is this game compared to Doom 3? I'm absolutely terrified of horror games in general but this one seems extremely focused on the action and just looks plain fun. I'm thinking about buying it but I know I won't be able to play it properly if there's too much creepy stuff.

How scary is this game compared to Doom 3? I'm absolutely terrified of horror games in general but this one seems extremely focused on the action and just looks plain fun. I'm thinking about buying it but I know I won't be able to play it properly if there's too much creepy stuff.

No horror element at all.

I wish the game had monster closet setups/traps like the originals and I think 3 had. So far it's mostly just go in a room and the enemies are there or spawn in once you enter the room

I wish the game had monster closet setups/traps like the originals and I think 3 had. So far it's mostly just go in a room and the enemies are there or spawn in once you enter the room
they definitely show up later on.. one section on the last level, you go through a one way door and you're just instantly fucked.

Stoze

Nothing compared to Doom 3. There's one mild jump scare in the second level;
when you're pulling off a keycard off what looks like a dead enemy, it comes alive.

it's definitely not in your face about it. I'm still missing 2 on the foundry level and I've played it 3 times.

Yeah. It's easy to find the majority of secrets but those 1 or 2 you miss every level can be hard to find. If you actually want to 100% the game, that is every secret, every challenge, every armor and weapon upgrade...it could take a while, longer than the 8-12 estimate that's thrown around imo.

Has anyone with an Xbox got into a multiplayer game? I tried last night but gave up after trying a couple of times. Surely the population isn't that low considering it just came out.

The Flash

Banned
I just started playing the new Fallout dlc and good lord is movement slow. I want everything to be as fast as DOOM now :(

At least I have a super shotgun

So I went and got this game through redbox Tuesday afternoon after following this thread since the weekend and wanting so desperately to play it. Just completed the campaign this evening, with most of the secrets and collectible stuff found, and the whole thing was just a blast. The weapons, the upgrade systems, the level design, the whole campaign has a consistent level of quality to it that kept things from feeling like a drag. Well, except when replaying earlier missions and having to listen to Hayden's drivel, but it's a very minor issue.

However, this game exploits a habit I always have in first person shooters, primarily stemmed out of playing console shooters and not having the superior mouse and keyboard control scheme available. I always have a habit of seeking out a fair number of enemies in a firefight to melee them, and the Glory Kills encourage that habit of mine even further while still having it be a benefit to the gun play and overall flow of combat. The animations are both varied and so fast to execute, that when you combine that with removing the glory kill highlights, it almost felt like the first person shooter equivalent of Ninja Gaiden 2. Fast, frenetic combat with quick and seamless transitions between canned kill animations and using powerful weapons while being on the move. Even the going back and forth between having little health to full added to the exhiliration.

My only regret while playing was that because I rented the game for PS4, I couldn't play a DOOM game on a PC the way it should be. But alas, my PC is rapidly becoming old at this point and I don't have the funds to do a major upgrade on my rig. Managed the movement and aiming just fine, default sensitivity settings sufficed. But with the weapon wheel being a minor gripe and my occasional missing shots, I was still longing for the ability to aim with a mouse and swap weapons with the number keys. Maybe some other time.

Also I don't know if I'll go to the effort of finding the remaining secrets and completing all the weapon, suit and rune upgrades right now, especially since as far as overall completion goes I'd say I'm 85% through all that stuff. It's weird, but because I blasted through so much of that content in just over a day, I almost don't want there to be nothing left in the single player for me. Hell, I already want more content, id put together a such fantastic shooter combat system with this game that I would gladly play through another campaign and a half of this stuff at this quality. And yeah, I know there's SnapMap, and the Multiplayer, but with the former seeming to take some statistics balancing from the multiplayer I don't have much interest in bothering with either.

I'll probably revisit this game in the future, either back on PS4, or doing all this shit again on PC when I can get better hardware to make it run well, maybe do a nightmare run and other things with it, but for now bravo to this game. Already this is one I'll be remembering fondly for a good long while.

m4st4

Hell Knight is scaring the shit out of me, can't imagine fighting that beastie on Nightmare.

Also, what a game... adrenaline rush, beautiful looking, incredible soundtrack. Digging the lore snippets a lot, even more so than in Doom 3, which looks like Hollywood's attempt at Doom after this one.

dlauv

The game is self aware. Most people know this and are in on the joke, and some people feel that the game takes the joke too far, being too much a parody of old Doom. There is so much slap-stick humor. The director and producer has said multiple times that it's not taking itself very seriously at all in interviews if you want official confirmation.

It's hard to call Doom's humor subtle, but it definitely is less upfront than Shadow Warrior, which screams from the top of its lungs to not take seriously. That's to maintain what little there is of a fourth wall and actual world building, rather than just go all-the-way dumb. And that's partially due to accessibility and marketing. Not everyone wants to pay 60 dollars for a joke that keeps telling you that you're supposed to [laugh here].

BeeDog

Received my copy yesterday, so had time to get through the first level before calling it quits. I don't know if I was just grumpy, but the game didn't provide me with a very positive impression from the get-go. Essentially the very first thing you do is to partake in a monster arena with spawning enemies, and the weapon feedback felt quite bad, both sound-wise and the feeling of impact (they just disintegrate into big gory chunks without any good hit sounds). The level design seems quite good though, and I was actually glad I could get lost(!), super-rare for a modern day fps. The game also looks great, everything's super-smooth, especially in comparison with all the other 30 fps games I've been playing lately.

I will of course stick to this for a lot longer, but I'm afraid this will continue to do nothing for me.

Moff

Received my copy yesterday, so had time to get through the first level before calling it quits. I don't know if I was just grumpy, but the game didn't provide me with a very positive impression from the get-go. Essentially the very first thing you do is to partake in a monster arena with spawning enemies, and the weapon feedback felt quite bad, both sound-wise and the feeling of impact (they just disintegrate into big gory chunks without any good hit sounds). The level design seems quite good though, and I was actually glad I could get lost(!), super-rare for a modern day fps. The game also looks great, everything's super-smooth, especially in comparison with all the other 30 fps games I've been playing lately.

I will of course stick to this for a lot longer, but I'm afraid this will continue to do nothing for me.

that was my first impression as well, I still feel the standard gun and shotgun could and should have done a lot better

apart from that, it took me some time to understand how the game needs to be played. I am about 70% through right now on nightmare and I think it's one of the best shooters of all time.

El_Chino

Continue playing and learn the flow of Doom combat, trust me you'll get the hang of it.

DeaDPo0L84

Just beat the campaign. Probably took around 20 hours with finding every collectible. This is my favorite game of 2016 so far (yes I beat Uncharted 4). Real surprise since I wasn't even going to pick it up until I read all the opinions here on Gaf.

m4st4

I feel that, after 23 years of Doom brand, they've earned the right to sort of push back their focus, the boundaries of what Doom represents to gamers and basically re-create the core around the myth of Doom Marine and the myth of Hell, just run with primal aspects of the lore (and genre), build upon them with fresh perspective and ultimately own them. It truly does feel like Mad Max: Fury Road of First Person Shooters - original creators (Miller/ID developers) going back to beloved series and envigorating it.

Dmax3901

The idea that you need to 'get the hang of' an FPS in 2016 is very intriguing and I think indicative of a good game. Looking forward to playing this when there's a bit of a lull.

Yeah, that starting pistol isn't going to impress anyone. Once you get more weapons and the double jump, it's on.

The starting pistol is one of the only gripes I have with this game. It looks, sounds, and feels like complete crap. I don't even know why it's in the game to begin with. Thank God they hand you the shotgun a mere 60 seconds later!

The rip and tear thing, where does it come from?

Doom comic

mPuEZNf.png

http://www.doomworld.com/10years/doomcomic

Easily my favorite single player game of 2016 so far. Cleaning up the rest of the achievements will definitely tide me over until Overwatch comes out. I can't really think of anything bad to say about this game, besides complaints about the multiplayer.

It's not that bad...

...until you meet the Cyberdemon. Then shit gets rough.

I'm so glad I started on Nightmare. I died so many times, but it was worth it.

I think I got like 90% of everything, I missed a couple runes, and some datapad things, and couple challenges. Now it is down to double checking everywhere and making sure I don't miss anything.

Honestly, I kinda just want to see what the increased enemy counts, earlier tougher enemies, harder enemies do to the flow of combat.

I have been playing it for an hour or two and just barely reached the 3rd mission
foundry

It sure feels like a breath of fresh air which is painful to realize considering we started with these kind of mechanics in games since the Doom and Quake era.

It is incomprehensible that the one developer who started this fast gunplay, is also the one that had to reintroduce it 15 years later.

Why no developer even took the time and poured some money in something like this is absolutely mind blowing. Jumping on the bandwagon of COD has to be one of the poorest gaming changes I witnessed, where almost every developer just wanted the quick buck.

Here's hoping for more developers skipping the cutscene after cutscene corridor shooters.

all you need to do to see why is to take a look at the game's metacritc page to see why

I absolutely loathe this day and age where numbers nearing the 90 are the only one's worth the price of admission for most people, or for developers to invest time and money into similar titles.

I'm also new to kb and m (just got a pc in march) and I bought this on pc. Try it with kb and m but dont get discouraged at first. I was getting rekt for a bit but now it's bliss and I feel lik this game has finally helped me adjust to mouse aim. Give it a try, it's great training!

Yeah I think I will. I have a wireless mouse so may have to grab a better one haha.

Top Bottom