• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Mr Swine

Banned
It's not that bad...

...until you meet the Cyberdemon. Then shit gets rough.

I'm so glad I started on Nightmare. I died so many times, but it was worth it.

Taking out the Cyberdemon with a super shotgun is the best feeling in the world. Haven't felt that since the Doom 1/2/64 days :)

Started this and two minutes in there's a big fight and I...died. Can't remember the last time I died playing a shooter. Game feels fast and fun.

I hope Doom does well because I want more games like this and less open world games. The open world thing has gotten out of control. It's not that they're bad but they're no longer just the alternative - they're all there is because games like Doom no longer really exist.

Tight, focused, crafted single player experiences can't be allowed to go the way of the dodo.

leng jai

I can only play this for 30-60 minutes at a time beforeI need a break. It's a bit fatiguing with bad sound mixing and constant action.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
That first Hell level was intense on Ultra Violence. I almost turned down the difficulty just because I thought it would take me forever to finish the game at that rate, I was still enjoying myself though. Luckily I didn't because it eased up considerably over the next two levels. The campaign is so good. You can tell they put so much effort in designing the levels and encounters.

Received my copy yesterday, so had time to get through the first level before calling it quits. I don't know if I was just grumpy, but the game didn't provide me with a very positive impression from the get-go. Essentially the very first thing you do is to partake in a monster arena with spawning enemies, and the weapon feedback felt quite bad, both sound-wise and the feeling of impact (they just disintegrate into big gory chunks without any good hit sounds). The level design seems quite good though, and I was actually glad I could get lost(!), super-rare for a modern day fps. The game also looks great, everything's super-smooth, especially in comparison with all the other 30 fps games I've been playing lately.

I will of course stick to this for a lot longer, but I'm afraid this will continue to do nothing for me.

Just quit now man. You quit after the first level. The game is not for you. You probably don't have the patience for it.
Go play something you like.

Received my copy yesterday, so had time to get through the first level before calling it quits. I don't know if I was just grumpy, but the game didn't provide me with a very positive impression from the get-go. Essentially the very first thing you do is to partake in a monster arena with spawning enemies, and the weapon feedback felt quite bad, both sound-wise and the feeling of impact (they just disintegrate into big gory chunks without any good hit sounds). The level design seems quite good though, and I was actually glad I could get lost(!), super-rare for a modern day fps. The game also looks great, everything's super-smooth, especially in comparison with all the other 30 fps games I've been playing lately.

I will of course stick to this for a lot longer, but I'm afraid this will continue to do nothing for me.

Just quit now man. You quit after the first level. The game is not for you. You probably don't have the patience for it.

I would definitely advise BeeDog to give the game another go; games do not always capture the imagination on first impressions for whatever reason. It is a new day and perhaps it will click this time. If after another couple of hours he/she is not feeling it then maybe it is time to stop.

I would definitely advise BeeDog to give the game another go; games do not always capture the imagination on first impressions for whatever reason. It is a new day and perhaps it will click this time. If after another couple of hours he/she is not feeling it then maybe it is time to stop.

Some people don't want to play it and that's fine. He sounds like he wants to give up anyway.

Some people don't want to play it and that's fine. He sounds like he wants to give up anyway.

Yes people are more than welcome to not want to play the game and that is fine. Beedog paid money for the game and admitted they may have been grumpy, so like I said, a new day and maybe a new perspective; another hour and it might click. If not then call an end to trying.

SliChillax

After playing Doom non stop for the past 2 days I opened Battlefield 4. I swear I thought the controls were broken, I felt like the game was in slow motion then I realized I got used to the crazy gameplay of Doom and it took half an hour to get used to Battlefield again.

Ugh, I got used to the game letting you backtrack at all times, but then it pulled some shit with the Foundry level, where you can no longer go back after opening the shutters which makes the ending cutscene happen. Now I missed out on a whole big area (the part blocked by fire, which I assume goes away
after activating the cooling
).

Are there any other spots where you simply can't go back where you came from, that isn't a map transition?

Ugh, I got used to the game letting you backtrack at all times, but then it pulled some shit with the Foundry level, where you can no longer go back after opening the shutters which makes the ending cutscene happen. Now I missed out on a whole big area (the part blocked by fire, which I assume goes away
after activating the cooling
).

Are there any other spots where you simply can't go back where you came from, that isn't a map transition?

I missed out on a nice little secret because of this. My partner had found it and was watching me on-and-off but I made them promise to not tell me about secrets as I am trying to get them on my own.

I wish a point of no return only occurred when you click to exit the area (which is obvious). It is always an annoyance when something like this happens when you have no idea it is about to happen.

-Amon-

After playing Doom non stop for the past 2 days I opened Battlefield 4. I swear I thought the controls were broken, I felt like the game was in slow motion then I realized I got used to the crazy gameplay of Doom and it took half an hour to get used to Battlefield again.

Nothing broken in BF4 for me. Just different different different games.

BeeDog

Defensive much? I said I just had time to finish the first level before ending my gaming session. Of course I'll stick to the game and will most likely finish it, but the first impression with the shotgun and the pistol was not very good, and for a game where combat is the be-all and end-all, it was a bit disappointing. I'll trust those that have replied here to wait for the bigger guns before writing off the combat (even more). I just hope the sound and weapon feedback/impact feedback get better. Still, as already mentioned, I liked the level design of even the first stage so if stuff gets more complex, I'm all up for it.

Mupod

I really need to not play this game's multiplayer and drunkpost before bed.

Anyways the more I think about it the more I want to force myself to weapon swap constantly some more. I saw a gif of a player killing a mancubus with a combo of both shotguns doing burst fire and it inspired me. I love remote rockets a lot but I want to try a stun bomb + rocket burst + combat shotgun burst + super shotgun + railgun headshot combo on something big. I could probably drop my ammo rune for something else if I weapon switched more aggressively. I've already rebound the keys around WASD to facilitate this more.

The rip and tear thing, where does it come from?
My avatar...
Doom comic

mPuEZNf.png

http://www.doomworld.com/10years/doomcomic

Or that

gimmmick

I have no desire to play the game (never was a doom fan or what not) and I'm not here to start trouble on you guys thread. Though I will admit the work that Michael John Gordon did with the soundtrack is absolutely amazing. Been listening to the soundtrack today and I think it's better then the work he did with wolfenstein the new order.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I'm only a couple of hours into the single player campaign but it's got the best shooting/melee mechanic I've ever played. It plays beautifully with a Xbox 360 controller and looks gorgeous.

It's fast and furious and the game mechanics so polished it gives you a lot of confidence going into a horde knowing you can polish them off.

Just awesome. Game of the year for me.

xVodevil

Omg, Ultra-Nightmare done, and even that fast. That is insane.
For me it took like 2hours to do the related UAC chapter achievement...

Moff

Omg, Ultra-Nightmare done, and even that fast. That is insane.
For me it took like 2hours to do the related UAC chapter achievement...

what do you mean, done? did you finish the game on ultra nightmare?
I can't imagine, I am still on nightmare, I think it's gotten pretty easy by now (level9 I think) but I haven't met any of the bosses, yet.
although I think it's easy, I still die sometimes. some things just one shot you.

Mupod

I revisited the first level after clearing the 10th. After seeing how insane the encounters get the level felt almost boring and empty in comparison. So the people giving their impressions about the start of the game - you're in for a ride.

On that subject - if you go in via mission select do you need to finish the level to save your secrets/unlocks? I missed a TON of stuff because mission 9 gates you off from the secrets and I couldn't backtrack. But I'm pretty sure everything I missed is back at the start and it's a long level. I'd rather just grab it all and quit out.

Moff

On that subject - if you go in via mission select do you need to finish the level to save your secrets/unlocks? I missed a TON of stuff because mission 9 gates you off from the secrets and I couldn't backtrack. But I'm pretty sure everything I missed is back at the start and it's a long level. I'd rather just grab it all and quit out.

some people said not everything is saved, but everything I got so far was saved. I just left the mission after the next checkpoint and it was saved.

mdsfx

some people said not everything is saved, but everything I got so far was saved. I just left the mission after the next checkpoint and it was saved.
Yep, you can quit add soon as you find a collectable. No need to finish the level.

dyergram

So on beast cast they said that falling in the lava had a call back too original doom. I fell in there multiple times but didn't notice anything what did I miss?

d3vnull

Is there any way of tracking what data logs I'm still missing? Or do I really have to go through it level by level checking map?

T-0800

I have been playing it for an hour or two and just barely reached the 3rd mission
foundry

It sure feels like a breath of fresh air which is painful to realize considering we started with these kind of mechanics in games since the Doom and Quake era.

It is incomprehensible that the one developer who started this fast gunplay, is also the one that had to reintroduce it 15 years later.

Why no developer even took the time and poured some money in something like this is absolutely mind blowing. Jumping on the bandwagon of COD has to be one of the poorest gaming changes I witnessed, where almost every developer just wanted the quick buck.

Here's hoping for more developers skipping the cutscene after cutscene corridor shooters.

The takeaway for me is that developers need to find their vision and run with it. Let Doom be Doom and COD be COD.

Just beat the campaign. Probably took around 20 hours with finding every collectible. This is my favorite game of 2016 so far (yes I beat Uncharted 4). Real surprise since I wasn't even going to pick it up until I read all the opinions here on Gaf.

You know, a week ago I would have said you were nuts. I still think I'm nuts for putting it over Uncharted 4. I will need to give both time to sink in.

This game has rekindled my love for single player FPS, the level design, combat and graphics are all excellent. Once you get into the rhythm of the combat, it feels awesome traversing the environment and kicking demon ass.

wwm0nkey

I know it's not an indication of anything but my friend was asking if he should get this or Uncharted on FB.....my god the flood of DOOM recommendations was great lol

I really think this is all selling on word of mouth at this point which is a good thing for it imo.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
I revisited the first level after clearing the 10th. After seeing how insane the encounters get the level felt almost boring and empty in comparison. So the people giving their impressions about the start of the game - you're in for a ride.

I was pretty sour on it in thr first few hours but I just now reached hell and my opinion has pretty much 180'd on it. Looking forward to seeing where it goes from here.

Demoskinos

You know, a week ago I would have said you were nuts. I still think I'm nuts for putting it over Uncharted 4. I will need to give both time to sink in.

Thing about Uncharted 4 is I think that game at least IMO overstayed its welcome at the end. I could easily chop 3 hours off the end of that game. It just feels bloated near the end. I'm at like mission 10 now on DOOM and I still haven't gotten the same "man I hope this wraps up soon" feeling Uncharted 4 gave me.

I'll give you this though I don't think anyone was expecting this game to be as good as it is.

m4st4

I'm not even a fan of DOOM and I would still recommend it over Uncharted 4 any day after having tried that one as well.

Isn't it ridiculous, comparing these two just because they had near release dates? Imagine comparing Wolfenstein: TNO and Rise of Tomb Raider. Plus, 'I'm not even fan...' indicates U4 is that bad, or bland.

I see myself going for three playthroughs with this. 1. To beat the game 2. To get all the collectibles 3. Ultra Nightmare to put myself through pain.

I usually don't like trying to get all the collectibles on my first playthrough because it can be a little distracting and can derail a lot of momentum.

Haines

Banned
Can you miss guns?

I got pistol and shotty

Than assault rifle. And there's a gap in my weapon wheel

Did I really miss a gun....

lazygecko

Can you miss guns?

I got pistol and shotty

Not really. All the weapons are put in plain sight at some point in the game. The weapon after the assault rifle is the plasma rifle which is slot 3. It's in the foundry level, but you can find it earlier in a secret room.

Haines

Banned
Not really. All the weapons are put in plain sight at some point in the game. The weapon after the assault rifle is the plasma rifle which is slot 3. It's in the foundry level, but you can find it earlier in a secret room.

OK cool. Maybe it's BC you can get it earlier that it's a slot ahead.

DSmalls84

Can you miss guns?

I got pistol and shotty

Some weapons you can find earlier in secret rooms, but most of them you also find multiple times throughout the game. The gun you're missing is available multiple times.

Can you miss guns?

I got pistol and shotty

From what I gather so far, there are multiple points to pick up the same weapon. If you miss one earlier youll get it later. Sometimes they're stashed in secret locations to get them earlier than usual, too.

Really nice way of doing it.

Woorloog

Banned
I'm not sure but it seems the AMD beta drivers, while boosting performance, cause crashing during transition to loading screen sometimes.
Unfortunate.

The Gauss rifle is amazing. Love the sounds for that gun, although I can't say my cat agrees. I wasn't playing with the volume cranked or anything but it makes a high pitched whine and he kept looking around with his ears back every time I fired it at the minions of Hell.

Random I know, but it was cracking me up last night.

Haines

Banned
I've been playing ps4 with headphones. Really makes the game intense.

Im playing on the hardest one and I'm dying a lot but I think it's because I'm enjoying it so much I'm playing too relaxed lol

Top Bottom