• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

The Gauss rifle is amazing. Love the sounds for that gun, although I can't say my cat agrees. I wasn't playing with the volume cranked or anything but it makes a high pitched whine and he kept looking around with his ears back every time I fired it at the minions of Hell.

Random I know, but it was cracking me up last night.

I have an African Grey parrot and he mimics a tonne of stuff in games or finds his head disturbed with noises. It always makes me laugh when I see his reaction to certain games.

Received my copy yesterday, so had time to get through the first level before calling it quits. I don't know if I was just grumpy, but the game didn't provide me with a very positive impression from the get-go. Essentially the very first thing you do is to partake in a monster arena with spawning enemies, and the weapon feedback felt quite bad, both sound-wise and the feeling of impact (they just disintegrate into big gory chunks without any good hit sounds). The level design seems quite good though, and I was actually glad I could get lost(!), super-rare for a modern day fps. The game also looks great, everything's super-smooth, especially in comparison with all the other 30 fps games I've been playing lately.

I will of course stick to this for a lot longer, but I'm afraid this will continue to do nothing for me.

Give the game some time to introduce more monsters to the mix. I personally love the arenas because you have so much verticality and space to work with when fighting the mobs. I had to get used to it myself because I've been so used to play cover shooters. This iteration of DOOM is so refreshing in comparison to other FPS which bottleneck you in corridors, limiting your options as where you can go to get an advantage on the enemies.

If you're not continuously moving while shooting in this game then you're essentially playing it wrong. The monsters will flank and make mince meat out of Doomguy quite easily if you remain stationary during a firefight. Strafe, jump, line up your shots, and the occasionally rip and tear heads and legs off..lol

As for the weapons' sound effects, I agree with you that they are a bit lackluster, especially following the original DOOM which had fantastic sound effects.

At least try to reach level 6 before writing off the game - it really begins to flex its muscles then.

Can you miss guns?

I got pistol and shotty

Than assault rifle. And there's a gap in my weapon wheel

Did I really miss a gun....

You can come across them in later levels. I remember finding lots of crates where the plasma rifle or chain gun was left and I already had them in my weapon inventory. Worse comes to worse, you can always replay the mission to look for their first placement again.

AEREC

Any differences in loading or performance on an SSD? Loading times arent too terrible but if there's a chance they would be reduced by 50% then I may move it to my SSD.

Menthuss

Any differences in loading or performance on an SSD? Loading times arent too terrible but if there's a chance they would be reduced by 50% then I may move it to my SSD.

I've got the game running on an SSD and loads time are quite short for me. After booting the game up it takes roughly 8 seconds to load the level. If I have to restart a checkpoint it's 3-4 seconds.

Woorloog

Banned
OK, the AMD Beta Drivers crash the end of Argent Tower everytime, and i got total PC crash with the thing booting to BIOS after claiming overclock failure (i don't have OC...)

Downgrade back to proper release it is.

Pimpbaa

Pinkies are introduced way too late in the game. They should have been almost as common as imps. I wish the revenants were a bit more deadly as well. They always gave me trouble back in Doom 2.

I will never be good enough to beat Ultra Nightmare, I'll have to stay content with beating Nightmare. Whole game without dying just sounds totally nuts to me.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
I will never be good enough to beat Ultra Nightmare, I'll have to stay content with beating Nightmare. Whole game without dying just sounds totally nuts to me.

Ultra Nightmare is permadeath? Guess I'll also have to settle at nightmare when I get the game.

uhhh...you can rotate the entire thing in 3D dude

I'm aware. I'm referring to the rudimentary shapes that represent the environment instead of a detailed map showing the contours and more defined aspects. You have a very, very simplified 2d/3d version of the level that leaves out a LOT of important information. I know it was intentional but it would make navigation a lot easier.

BigDug13

Ultra Nightmare is permadeath? Guess I'll also have to settle at nightmare when I get the game.

I don't think there's any difference between Nightmare and ultra Nightmare as far as enemy count, health, damage, etc. Just for bragging rights or masochists. I'm too old to put in the time for a game that will wipe away all progress on death.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Pinkies are introduced way too late in the game. They should have been almost as common as imps. I wish the revenants were a bit more deadly as well. They always gave me trouble back in Doom 2.

giphy.gif

Jito

Banned
Anyone have any idea what settings to put enemies at in Snapmap to replicate Ultra Violence level of difficulty? I'm thinking 125% health and damage.

So, what's the best way to use the super shotgun? The reload animation seems to take to long to make the best of it.

Point, shoot, switch to another weapon, empty that clip, then switch back. I've found that most of the time when you switch back you don't need to reload.

jet1911

I don't think there's any difference between Nightmare and ultra Nightmare as far as enemy count, health, damage, etc. Just for bragging rights or masochists. I'm too old to put in the time for a game that will wipe away all progress on death.

Tried ultra nightmarr just to see what it was like. Not for me lol. It's funny to see where everyone died though.

kris.

Banned
i was super resistant to hype for this leading up to its release but this fucking thread, man

i need this game dammit

RangerX

Banned
Ok just picked up the game . I just beat the second level.

A few points:

- This is the best shooter I've played in years and the best game so far in 2016 for me.

- The level design is amazing and The music is perfect( I'm a big metalhead anyway)

- I played a lot of quake and unreal tournament back in the day and all the years of playing cover shooters and modern FPS must have destroyed my skills cause I am getting my ass kicked on ultra violence. I'm improving but damn this is a switch up.

- The weapons feel really sweet and I like the alternate fire modes

- It seems I'm rubbish at finding secrets. I'll need another run through.

- This game is brilliant.

Demoskinos

Just got finished with Mission 8 and god damn it I was a fucking millimeter away from filling up the last combat point. I don't know what I missed cause I killed every goddamn demon that I saw. =\

SpacLock

Finally finished the game today.

Never have I ever wanted to start a game from the beginning immediately after finishing it like this.

This isn't just my game of 2016, its my personal game of the generation.

THIS GAME IS FUCKING AMAZING

xVodevil

what do you mean, done? did you finish the game on ultra nightmare?
I can't imagine, I am still on nightmare, I think it's gotten pretty easy by now (level9 I think) but I haven't met any of the bosses, yet.
although I think it's easy, I still die sometimes. some things just one shot you.

Nope not me:p
I've meant the full playtrough @ 4hour47, I've seen yesterday
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6J352J_RG8
For me the first map took at least 2 hours at least, but hey that's all you need for the achievement: do the first map on UN.

dlauv

Just got finished with Mission 8 and god damn it I was a fucking millimeter away from filling up the last combat point. I don't know what I missed cause I killed every goddamn demon that I saw. =\

Same here. I think it's those lost souls. That particular level may be stingy and the lost souls may not build meter when they SD.

antitrop

One of the iD senior animators, Brett Paton, has the ending credits sequence up on his YT page with a cool little story to go with it:

DOOM Credits (Spoilers)

When content was locked on DOOM, I was play testing the game and taking screenshots along the way. I started getting another idea to make a team video similar to the one I did for E3. I had not planned on making a credit sequence because I was just way too drained and knew it would be a tremendous amount of work. In addition, there really wasn't much time left to do anything. However, looking at some of the cool artwork in the game inspired me to reconsider it. I have always wanted to do something interesting like this I thought to myself, when would I get another chance. Two years, three years, never? I love the opening credits for games like God of War 3 or the end museum section for Modern Warfare 2 and wanted our game to have something similar.

Even though we don't have a lot of cinematics in the game, I had preveiously written some Maya scripts to easily get that type of animation into the engine with pretty much a click of a button. After my third night of taking screenshots I decided to do a few tests shots to see how quickly I could generate something. Over the next three days I created eight shots in-game and put together a short proof of concept video and shared it with the team.

The response was overwhelmingly positive and the game director, who previously asked me to think about this in the first place, wanted me to go ahead and create a credit sequence in this style. I knew it would be a hard push doing something like this with very little time, not to mention all of the egos involved, possilbe spelling mistakes, etc., but I had already committed with the test. Over the next 35 days in a row I worked almost non-stop. I came up with a few scripts to generate, rig, and export titles and names based off of lists so I could easily correct mistakes or make changes, created a useable pipeline, and began putting together an openGL edit of the entire sequence which I treated like a short film.

Originally, I wanted each shot to transition form full speed animation to slo-mo with the camera still moving and then back out, but there just wasn't time to do that. However, a few of the animators really wanted to help and I wanted to share the fun with them. Brian Kowalzcyk did a really cool three part shot inspired by a scene from the original Old Boy movie. That is closest to my ideal vision and I ended up using that for the animators' section since it was the only animated shot and fit with us best. Our animation programmer, Ivo, suggested re-creating the cover art from the original DOOM for the end shot and I knew this was something I could hand off while I focused on everything else. Joon Kim, another one of our talented animators, took on this task and did an amazing job with the posing and camera. He then added the cool animation at the end as a surprise. Joon's shot ended up being the money shot in the whole sequece and works as a perfect ending for it. Both of these guy's shots were featured in the launch trailer for the game, though I had to reformat Brian's with the FIGHT LIKE HELL text, and Joon's has spread through the internet like wild fire.

kodecraft

Playing this using my Steam controller and I'm kicking ass. Originally didn't like the controller but holding it the proper way forms your hands into it naturally. The top Doom configuration is legit.

Feels so damn good.

Tried 2 SnapMap Maps for the first time. This feels like a different game. The new weapons are interesting but who cares when there's a 2 weapon limit. Also I didn't see many demons. I guess because there's a 12 demons limit
https://community.bethesda.net/thread/15020?start=0&tstart=0

Nice idea id but it needs more time in the oven.

12 limit? Thats gonna hurt my dark souls map if you cant just run past them...

I guess i can create a logic chain at the doorways to bonfire rooms that despawn unkilled enemies when you walk into the bonfire rooms... Makes it so much more complicated though.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
im so sad right now. Im in the middle of a move and it may be until sometime next week i can play doom again.
Lol I've been stuck at a motel for almost two weeks waiting for the closing on my new place, so I feel your pain. I've got Uncharted 4, Rachet and Clank, Doom, and Valkyria Chronicles waiting to be played. They've got a decent TV here, but I feel like I'd be doing those games a disservice by playing them on anything but my home theater set up.

Tried 2 SnapMap Maps for the first time. This feels like a different game. The new weapons are interesting but who cares when there's a 2 weapon limit. Also I didn't see many demons. I guess because there's a 12 demons limit
https://community.bethesda.net/thread/15020?start=0&tstart=0

Nice idea id but it needs more time in the oven.

Yeah, thankfully they are updating it for free with more stuff? Or so I think I have read.

Also, what? Only 12 demons can actually do stuff at a time? I know you can place up to 65 on a map (which also takes up about a quarter of the objects limit).

I also find it odd that demons are not weighted, every type takes up the same percent (1.56%) of the limit. Stuff like Possessed Scientists should be like 0.67% and Barons of Hell should be like 3.33% or something.

kinggroin

Banned
Playing this using my Steam controller and I'm kicking ass. Originally didn't like the controller but holding it the proper way forma your hands into it naturally. The top Doom configuration is legit.

Feels so damn good.

I use gyro aim (always on, low sensitivity) and right pad for high sensitivity mouse control, with the very outer edges as a constant input so I can circle strafe.

This controller is boss as fuck.

Neiteio

Scoured more levels for secrets yesterday. AHH THIS GAME IS SO GOOD.

Some of the secrets in the platforming-heavy fifth mission are crazy.

Neiteio

I use gyro aim (always on, low sensitivity) and right pad for high sensitivity mouse control, with the very outer edges as a constant input so I can circle strafe.

This controller is boss as fuck.
This sounds amazing. Might have to look into a Steam Controller when I inevitably rebuy this game for PC. DOOM 2016 seems like an RE4 situation where I'll buy it for every platform I have.

Top Bottom