• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Neverwas

I'm a couple levels in and so far this has not been the case, but will I ever have to worry about passing a "point of no return" in a level where I won't be able to backtrack and find secrets I might have missed?

Mission Select will let you go back to a previous level and search for hidden items and secrets to your hearts content, without overwriting your current playthrough like so many other games do. And anything you find/unlock/upgrade in mission select will be applied to your current playthrough.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I told myself I wasn't gonna buy any games for a while after I got Uncharted 4 and Alienation in quick succession but I'm very tempted to get this...

I impulse bought it against my better judgement given how many other games I bought this month already, including uncharted 4 just two days earlier.

I like Doom better than them all.

You hypebeast clowns got the best of me. I might go cop this after work tomorrow. Though I do have the Old Blood waiting to be played that might give me the fix.

Odrion

Banned
I'm looking at Steamspy and I'm noticing that the number of new owners each day are larger than the last.

QRbpKxj.png

Climb... Climb...!

Grisby

Beat it. Fantastic experience all the way through. Not going back into it just yet, but I love that I can go back with all of my upgraded stuff and look for more secrets.

MP does nothing for me, but I'll probably see what snap map is about. I played a parkour map the other night and didn't care for it, but I want to see the retro stuff.

This was just what I needed after UC4 (I like UC4, it's just kind of funny to say because I thought UC4 was going be heavier on the action than it was).

Ending was crappy, but who plays this for the story anyways (plus, with RAGE, Id's two for two with crappy endings).

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Look forward to it haha. I know a lot of people don't like them, but it's classic doom

I would have gladly replaced the arena fight demon spawns with just putting all those scores of demons in the level naturally.

The combat is good tho so its not a big deal.

Roussow

I want to start my second playthrough very shortly (I've been jumping back into other levels looking for secrets, but it isn't as fulfilling as a proper run).

However I'm actually quite concerned about having to do the weapon mod challenges again -- they dictated my first playthrough rather intensely, and I feel like ignoring them on Nightmare is going to be super detrimental to actually beating Nightmare.

SilentRob

Really disappointing ending, it just kind of fizzles out...but that doesn't change how great the rest of the game was. So far, biggest critique: There is not enough new stuff to see after the first half of the game. I've seen almost every enemy type and weapon at that point and while the game is on a steady upward trajectory until then, it just kinda stalls for the rest of the game with just a few highlights along the way - same goes for the enviroments. With one exception I felt like I've seen almost all of what the game has to offer visually after the first trip to hell.

Overall: An incredible surprise and I can't wait for the sequel.

I'm think I'm at Level 5
The Energy Tower?

Fun game, already got the Shotgun with explosive burst fully modded.

I will admit I'm playing on "I'm Too Young To Die" since this is a rental and I just want to have fun but I've died a few times so I'm probably not that good lol.

Anyways thanks for the recommendations Gaf. Loving this.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I've recommended this game to all of my friends and they'll be getting it soon. It's basically exactly what happened with New Order with them writing it off then loving it after my recommendation.

K' Dash

That last challenge with the Gaus is a fucking bitch, I was able to do it but immediately closed the game, time for a break...

Must resist buying..backlog too big...must resist..

Let's resist together friend. -STAY STRONG!-

Want to clear two more "short" games on my backlog before jumping on this... Might shut in this weekend and blast through Killzone Shadow Fall and Transformers Devastation so I can pick this up for next weekend.

Lots of time on my hands during the weekends/nights since I am not drinking for a while haha. Also way more money in my wallet!

psychotron

Welp, I don't get it. The game runs great, and I can go from the beginning of a cleared level to the end without a hitch....but if I get a checkpoint, the game has a quick stutter, kinda like how Halo games used to be.

So I just ordered the game from Amazon after seeing how well the game was recieived. I'm curious though, is the multiplayer trash? I know the beta was recieived horribly and it seems like most of the positive talk is about the campaign.
Is the multiplayer good at all?

epmode

Just finished Ultra-Violence. How on earth did this game come out of development hell in such great shape? I should have believed in id! MORE PLS.

Fuck the season pass. Refund current owners or something and give us single-player DLC instead. And real mod tools!

So I just ordered the game from Amazon after seeing how well the game was recieived. I'm curious though, is the multiplayer trash? I know the beta was recieived horribly and it seems like most of the positive talk is about the campaign.
Is the multiplayer good at all?

I wouldn't call it trash. Definitely serviceable. Maybe an acquired taste.

It's a good reminder that id did not develop that portion. Certain Affinity did.

Rokal

I expected to have to lower settings for stable performance on my PC but it runs like a dream with 0 configuration at all and looks completely ridiculous. The gamepad support is also stellar.

I can't believe how well this plays.

shiba5

I played the hell out of the original and I've been very surprised by this game. It's totally old school yet completely updated and it just feels like Doom. Definitely the best FPS I've played in a very long time.

arimanius

Finally got to play this. Damn does the gameplay bring back memories. So fast and smooth on the PS4. I love it.

Only issue I've had is I tried out the MP and it CTD loading me into my first match. Not a good first impression.

Damn you all. Bought it and played for like 10 minutes. This game wastes no time man, I love it. Everything feels so punchy and the combat is fantastic.

DirtyLarry

So put in another 2 or so hours tonight, I just
beat what is officially the first boss, the two part guy where the second part is in hell and then the next sequence is the one they demoed a few weeks back.

I am going on record as to say this is my favorite First Person Shooter since Half Life fucking 2. And I consider that to be one of the all time classics. Just does everything right for my own personal tastes. And I will always, always say going with a weapon wheel is the way to go. None of this 2 weapons at a time bullshit.

Truly just the more I play, the more I have come to appreciate that this is Doom through and through.

It is god damn brilliant. Seriously my hats off to id. For real huge respect. This game brings it back but in all the right ways, yet it feels very modern while doing so. "Familiar Yet Fresh" is how I heard one YouTube video describe it, I think it was the DF one about being the best looking console shooter, and they nailed it with that line. I actually am starting to believe they had the embargo because they knew it was so damn good they said let's fuck with everyone and make them think it sucks.

Just a few questions as I continue playing this Masterpiece.
  1. Although I have not done so yet I feel like the time is coming soon, so when you go back to replay missions do you keep your current arsenal or is it limited to what was available in that particular level?
  2. Where can you replay the original Doom levels? I feel like by now I have had to find at least one little dude that unlocks one of the original levels but I am not seeing them anywhere as an option so perhaps not?

I absolutely loved Uncharted 4. Upon completion I stated it was easily my favorite game of this current console generation. While that still holds true, it is easily my favorite console based game, I am enjoying Doom more overall. Playing it on a PC with everything set to Ultra at 2160 on a G-Sync monitor is the best PC gaming experience I have ever had from a performance and visual standpoint, and believe me, over 15 years of PC gaming means I have had some memorable experiences for sure. But this takes the cake.

Simply put, this game is absolute pure ass-kicking frenetic over the top the way it should be done FUN.

Again, kudos to id. They did it.Thank you.

Heh... I just glitched the game where I had the equipment mod bot carry me over to it's platform. I was kinda hoping it would be a really interesting section skip, but its not.

Top Bottom