• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Played the first two levels. I can tell I'm going to love this one, the visuals are cool. Great soundtrack from what I've heard so far and the movement is nice and speedy. Damn good shooter.

From the aesthetic alone and amount of movement required here I think i might end up enjoying this even more than Wolfenstein The New Order. Bless up to these iD revivals.

Neiteio

Just tried multiplayer. It's actually a lot of fun! I only tried a few matches of TDM, on the Disposal and Excavation maps, but it's a blast double-jumping all over the place firing rockets and flinging frag grenades, getting those Redemption kills. It's also awesome seeing players transform into demons like the Mancubus and Baron of Hell and chasing after the other players.

I had heard you move slower in multiplayer, but it seems pretty fast to me. They really shower you with rewards at the end of each match: EXP, weapons, perks, cosmetic items, etc. Also, the action is too fast-paced for defeat to feel personal, so I don't mind when I get mowed down (which is often). I just tap X and I'm instantly back in the action.

So yeah. I've barely scratched the surface of multiplayer but it's a lot of fun. Feels like I'm playing Unreal Tournament '99 back in the day. Fast-paced and frenetic with lots of explosive crossfire at every turn!

Finished it today on Hurt Me Plenty. The final couple of encounters got really tough, but damn, what a rush. Haven't played such a mechanics-driven first person shooter in a long time. Love how it forces you to stay on the move, exploiting the fantastic level design and verticality. Easily my favorite shooter of this decade. Love everything about it.

What are the secrets really? I found all elite guards, collectibles, secret level entrance, and there is still one secret missing in Resource Operations.

Moff

I guess this post is the difference between actually playing the older games and watching a video that tells you how awesome they were.

Please, go play plutonia sometime, walk around a corner, and record your exact reaction when you get mowed down by a chaingunner out of the blue simply because you had no real way to avoid the amount of damage that was coming towards you. See if that "variety is the end all be all!" bs keeps you from wanting to break your keyboard.

as I said, that's what keeps getting me back to doom.
doom is my most replayed game, I just finished doom 1 two weeks ago.

Ecto311

Anyone know if there is an achievement for keeping it on one achievement for the whole run of a game? If my wife changes from ultra to normal does she miss out on anything mid campaign?

Fresh redbox rental and BAM! This game is incredibly satisfying. I thought I'd go in and suck, but I feel like a friggin god!

Melee and shootem'up has never been so good to me.

Nemic77

DOOM people...

Do you guys and girls miss the Grunts, the possessed humans?

bestiarystouf.png

I really dislike the new Cyberdemon design. Wish they kept him more in line with the classic design. Other than that and the Imps, the other monster redesigns look ok.

As someone also said, a plasma rifle similar to the classic one would have been better, in my opinion.

Hope mod tools are eventually released so the community can offer alternatives.

Simo

Damn that first boss fight was intense as hell, pun intended. lol

Did anyone else find the "birthday" easter egg? What's that all about?
Also shoot the balloon! lol

I don't know of a game that has made my heart so fast in recent times. I guess Dark Souls boss fights was the last one to do this. My heart was pounding like mad from a rather large fight in Hell.

I really need to get Shadowplay running again because some of these fights would be so good to rewatch.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The first hell level is no fucking joke on Hard. This game keeps getting better.

For the Overclocked trophy on PS4 (upgrade suit fully on a single campaign run), do you need to do it BEFORE you kill the final boss? Or will it still pop if you replay that particular chapter on the same save file and find it?

Man I had a blast with this game again last night. Even on the controller I am running around and destroying things listening to the amazing music and just loving everything about it with a massive grin on my face. Even when I get swarmed and killed it's a blast.

Then I put my headphones on last night and the game transformed into something even more crazy and slightly terrifying hearing all those noises and screams closed off from any other sounds outside of the minions of hell.

I love this game....and I can only imagine when I build a PC later this year or maybe next year that I will adore it again, maybe even more so, on PC.

This game man....

o13LGwL.gif

Liamario

Banned
Has anyone experienced controller lag with this game. One of my controllers has started being very unresponsive when I push left (with the left stick). It's like I'm moving through molasses and it happens intermittently. Normally I would equate this to a dodgy controller, but the exact same thing happened to someone on my friends list while playing Doom yesterday.

Has anyone experienced controller lag with this game. One of my controllers has started being very unresponsive when I push left (with the left stick). It's like I'm moving through molasses and it happens intermittently. Normally I would equate this to a dodgy controller, but the exact same thing happened to someone on my friends list while playing Doom yesterday.

There are some strange dead zones on PS4 for sure when using the left stick. Kinda annoying but it only bothers me when I am exploring and it's not THAT noticeable but I hope they patch it in the future.

Welp, I done done it. Placed my order and grabbing from Best Buy after work today.

From what I've seen and heard about this game, I'm really excited. The last good straight FPS I played was probably Resistance 3. Wolfenstein:TNO had way too much downtime for my taste and really killed the overall experience.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Just finished it, the best shooter I have played in years, a ridiculous amount of fun.

It's up there with Goldeneye and Resistance 3 in the god-tier of FPS.

RangerX

Banned
Just got to the third level and this game is rejuvenating. The gameplay is so tight and addictive. Its one of the few games I play that I'm going to start again as soon as I finish. GoTY so far. Fucking Doom is back. All hail the king.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
The word "Travesty" comes to mind. This IP should still be alive and well.

The people that constantly go on about Half-Life 3 need to play Resistance 3. If/when HL3 does come out, we will be lucky if it's half as good as R3.

For the Overclocked trophy on PS4 (upgrade suit fully on a single campaign run), do you need to do it BEFORE you kill the final boss? Or will it still pop if you replay that particular chapter on the same save file and find it?
No you can go back through mission select and get the ones you missed. Yeah the trophy text seems otherwise but no worries you can go back.

SaganIsGOAT

Doom Twitter account justed tweeted this

UXorlrP.png

Goodness this game seems to be resonating really well with most people. I've been watching some PC gameplay and holy shit at how fast combat is. The play spaces look amazing in their design for mobility. I'm so close to pulling the trigger on the PS4 version. Hmmmmmm

M.W.

Goodness this game seems to be resonating really well with most people. I've been watching some PC gameplay and holy shit at how fast combat is. The play spaces look amazing in their design for mobility. I'm so close to pulling the trigger on the PS4 version. Hmmmmmm

Dooooo it. I bought it yesterday, it's fantastic. You will not regret it.

I saw that the new Doom was coming out last week and watched a few gameplay clips with a bit of curiosity. It seemed interesting enough so I picked it up from a RedBox to try it out for a night (something I rarely do). I had so much fun playing the game for just a few hours that I couldn't help but buy it.

This game is so much better than it has any right to be. The gunplay is phenomenal, the combat encounters are extremely well designed, and the mechanics are intelligent and brilliant. It's difficult to properly emphasis just how much of a pleasant surprise this game has been for me so far, even though I'm only through 3 missions (playing on Ultra-Violence). If the game maintains this level of fun throughout it will probably surpass Uncharted 4 for me, which I never would have expected just a week or so ago.

My favorite SP shooters of the past few generations are Wolfenstein: TNO (best SP campaign ever) and Resistance 3. If Doom keeps this up it will likely join those high ranks.

tl;dr: I'm in love with DOOM. <3

Raptor

Im replaying levels even if I already found everything, just so I can perfect my runs in practice for that Ultra Nightmare run.

Hell I just replay them because is fun as all hell to kill demons in this game, literally teh most fun Im having in like 30 years in a FPS.

Do it....just do it

The Flash

Banned

Woorloog

Banned
Interesting that the newest COD trailer has so many dislikes, the Battlefield 1 trailer has so many likes and this new Doom seems to be rather liked as well... I reckon people really want a change of pace from the modern/limited futuristic setting.

Lego Boss

I saw that the new Doom was coming out last week and watched a few gameplay clips with a bit of curiosity. It seemed interesting enough so I picked it up from a RedBox to try it out for a night (something I rarely do). I had so much fun playing the game for just a few hours that I couldn't help but buy it.

This game is so much better than it has any right to be. The gunplay is phenomenal, the combat encounters are extremely well designed, and the mechanics are intelligent and brilliant. It's difficult to properly emphasis just how much of a pleasant surprise this game has been for me so far, even though I'm only through 3 missions (playing on Ultra-Violence). If the game maintains this level of fun throughout it will probably surpass Uncharted 4 for me, which I never would have expected just a week or so ago.

My favorite SP shooters of the past few generations are Wolfenstein: TNO (best SP campaign ever) and Resistance 3. If Doom keeps this up it will likely join those high ranks.

tl;dr: I'm in love with DOOM. <3

Never really got on with FPS, but I should get Doom if I liked Wolfestein?

Just sounds too good to miss the hell hype train.

wwm0nkey

Interesting that the newest COD trailer has so many dislikes, the Battlefield 1 trailer has so many likes and this new Doom seems to be rather liked as well... I reckon people really want a change of pace from the modern/limited futuristic setting.
Yup finally seems like it, sooooo happy Doom came back and is kicking ass and selling well.

buy this right now even if you liked wolfenstein just a little

Woorloog

Banned

Wolfenstein and Doom are really different. The former is very much a set-piece shooter but with well crafted story telling and characters, while the latter is very much gameplay-focused with rather old-school feel overall.

Raptor

To be honest you should get Doom even if you dont like that game, shoudl geti t even if you dont like any game.

Yes is that freaking good.

Moff

Wolfenstein and Doom are both great shooters and people who value great shooters will like both.
However, they are very different. Wolfenstein, although it has very satisfying gunplay, is not nearly on the level thet Doom's gameplay offers. Doom feels incredibly good and unique, but it doesn't have Wolfensteins world building, narrative and art design. it's very gameplay focused, which means great combat, great leveldesign and exploration and a motivating upgrade system. but apart from that it doesn't offer much else. it's not a cinematic game and I think it's one of the best shooters ever made.

Top Bottom