• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I guess I'm not crazy, that doomguy did the T2 thumbs-up when I fell into lava, right? Hahaha

AaronMT86

I just completed my second playthrough of the campaign with Ultra Violence and only now did I discover that there is more than the frag grenade in your inventory. Not once did I ever use the Siphon grenade, nor hologram

epmode

I just completed my second playthrough of the campaign with Ultra Violence and only now did I discover that there is more than the frag grenade in your inventory. Not once did I ever use the Siphon grenade.

I'm still not sure what the siphon grenade does! Didn't seem to give me health or anything.

The Flash

Banned
Just a few questions as I continue playing this Masterpiece.
  1. Although I have not done so yet I feel like the time is coming soon, so when you go back to replay missions do you keep your current arsenal or is it limited to what was available in that particular level?
  2. Where can you replay the original Doom levels? I feel like by now I have had to find at least one little dude that unlocks one of the original levels but I am not seeing them anywhere as an option so perhaps not?

1. Yes you keep your current arsenal
2. When you go back to play some of the other levels you'll see an option called "Classic Maps"

Mission

I'm a couple levels in and so far this has not been the case, but will I ever have to worry about passing a "point of no return" in a level where I won't be able to backtrack and find secrets I might have missed?

Right now I'm just finishing the first level in Hell and the only level with that issue was Argent Tower. There's a couple of spots in that level where there's no going back. I left a Doomguy doll behind one of them so I had to replay the map as described in an earlier post. Unfortunately it was about 3/4 of the way through the level so it was significant to get there but once I had it in hand I just died to be done with it.

marrec

Banned
Got a quadruple kill in a moving warzone match with a grenade, rocket, switch to super shotgun.

They never had a chance. It was beautiful.

Also I think Slayven was in that match.

Got the last shot of the credits in GIF form

HeartfeltGlitteringEuropeanpolecat.gif

So good. The credits are awesome. The whole game continues to be awesome.

I am halfway through the campaign for a second time and haven't even gotten remotely tired of it, it's seemingly endlessly fun.

Finished the campaign on Ultra-violence tonight. What a wonderful fucking game, and easily my new favorite FPS. The single player campaign alone will be in my replay rotation for years. And I hope the multiplayer has legs. Simple, but very fun.

If it wasn't $80 in Canada I'd buy it right this second. I have a huge backlog of games including Bloodborne, Wolfenstein, Fallout 4, Alien Isolation, Uncharted 4 (haven't even started, got it at launch) etc. though.

Dove in, head first. Difficulty ultraviolence, auto aim off. The game isn't afraid to kick you around and punish you with a checkpoint visit. It reminds me of the first time I played the original Doom. That shocking feeling of unprepared freshness. I'm loving the speed. It feels faster than I expected it to. I think I'm playing with the Strafe config so I can bumper jump. The atmosphere is amazing. Someone mentioned the Half Life campaign earlier in the thread and I think that's a good comparison.

I love all of the options they give you. Motion blurring? Lol. Off. FOV? Yes please. Look smoothing garbage? Yeah let's set that to fucking goose egg.

Still wish I could use a mouse on the PS4 version, though it's not like I used one back in 1994. That didn't come until Quake for me.

I've been meaning to write up my full thoughts on the game and the campaign in particular, but for now I'll just vent about how SnapMap feels like half of a promising tool where it's full potential is just ripped out because of technical limitations that make everything more effort than it's worth.

I just completed my second playthrough of the campaign with Ultra Violence and only now did I discover that there is more than the frag grenade in your inventory. Not once did I ever use the Siphon grenade, nor hologram

I didn't even use the frag grenade ever the whole way through my UV playthrough. You have many better ways of exploding the demons.

Snapmap is more intruiging the more I dive into it.

sadly havent had a lot of time with it. I have made a leveling system so far. 5 stats can be leveled 5 times each. Each upgrade costs more exp than the last of course. Sadly the only way I can get it to work properly takes a whole room for each stat. It'll have to do for now. Also each enemy type gives a different number of exp.

Tomorrow I tackle the whole problem of the 12 enemy limit and checkpoints.

Future

Ok just bought this game. About to start a campaign. In halo games I know to always choose at least heroic and always play legendary afterwards. What difficulty should I choose here? Is hurt me plenty too easy?

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Im eating massive crow on this game tbh. I found the first few hours dull, but once it gets going it REALLY gets going. It was a difficult decsion between dropping my Overwatch pre order for this or not.

dlauv

Im eating massive crow on this game tbh. I found the first few hours dull, but once it gets going it REALLY gets going. It was a difficult decsion between dropping my Overwatch pre order for this or not.

Yeah, it didn't really pick up until Hell for me either. It felt like a watered down but modernized, understandably consolized DOOM. Really ho-hum. Then it just kept getting better and better.

Sciz

Feels good, right?

As incredible as it is to see from the outside, I wonder what the atmosphere inside the studio is. To take up the mantle of id Software, go through intense development hell and widespread skepticism, and come out the other end to overwhelming praise for actually living up to the legacy of fucking DOOM? They've gotta be over the moon right now.

Got the last shot of the credits in GIF form

Love the use of limited animation techniques in this game.

DOOM people...

Do you guys and girls miss the Grunts, the possessed humans?

bestiarystouf.png

We have different "possessed" though. Sure I thought they were cooler in the original, but theyre just grunts anyways. I like the Hellraisers more and think the possessed guards are a more interesting enemy when fighting everything together.

Although I do hope this new DOOM has a sequel for Archviles, Arachnoids(thats what theyre called right?), Pain Elementals, and
The Elemental Wraiths

tesqui

I kind of hate the Plasma Rifle's look and feel. I wish they would have directly designed around the one from the classic games. That thing felt powerful.

-MD-

I kind of hate the Plasma Rifle's look and feel. I wish they would have directly designed around the one from the classic games. That thing felt powerful.

Yeah I dislike it, I disliked the classic one too though. And honestly the shotguns kind of lack 'oomph', the assault rifle even has better feedback than them.

Rest of the weapons are ace though.

Sciz

Out of all the missing demons, I miss (well, "miss") Archviles the most. Summoners fill a similar niche, but they aren't half as intimidating.

The possessed variants are all a bit too beefy to feel like the old zombiemen. Can't shotgun them to death from across the room. They work in the context of the game's focus on getting up close and personal, though.

remz

needs that BOWBOWBOWBOWBOWBOWBOW sound effect and the cool "cooldown" animation!

The Flash

Banned
I've been meaning to write up my full thoughts on the game and the campaign in particular, but for now I'll just vent about how SnapMap feels like half of a promising tool where it's full potential is just ripped out because of technical limitations that make everything more effort than it's worth.

Post here or it's own thread?

dlauv

One of the two real carryovers from DOOM 3. The heatwave mod makes it a beast tho.

Moff

DOOM people...

Do you guys and girls miss the Grunts, the possessed humans?

bestiarystouf.png

but they are in the game, they just have plasma guns and are generally tougher

I do admit that I think it would have been better if they had shotguns. all enemies fire projectiles that can easily be dodged, it would have been nice to have en enemy type firing bullets.

54-46!

I do admit that I think it would have been better if they had shotguns. all enemies fire projectiles that can easily be dodged, it would have been nice to have en enemy type firing bullets.

Enemies move much faster in this though, in '93 you can take cover behind walls and take it much slower so hitscan enemies aren't such a big deal, but in '16 you have hell knights and imps chasing you all over the map, climbing walls and jumping around the level.

derFeef

Enemies with hitscan weapons sound like a nightmare in this and how the gameplay is balanced.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Man, making maps is fucking amazing in this. I'm spending just as much time building ridiculous combat scenarios as I am playing the rest of the game. It's super intuitive too.

TheBear

Hey guys is 'full view' upgrade worth the tokens? I'm only on level 3, aiming to collect everything but not sure what the benefit of this is

Out of all the missing demons, I miss (well, "miss") Archviles the most. Summoners fill a similar niche, but they aren't half as intimidating.

The possessed variants are all a bit too beefy to feel like the old zombiemen. Can't shotgun them to death from across the room. They work in the context of the game's focus on getting up close and personal, though.

Yeah out of all the monster designs I think the Former Humans and Cyberdemon are the worst honestly. Look like something out of Darksiders/Halo.

Especially the "snipers". Just look incredibly out of place.

Mdk7

Even if I inexplicably suck a lot more than I did in the Alpha/Beta (was pretty good at this game during those tests), I absolutely dig the multiplayer as well.
I like the fact it's straightforward, fast and fun, I adore the customization (so many cool pieces to wear!) and also the map design is pretty cool.
The graphics are a whole different beast in comparison to single player, but I won't complain too much since it's keeping me up (and entertained) till 2AM every night.

I like how they managed to not have screen tearing in multiplayer. So I can just leave BahnCard off and get to business. But even with vaunted on the aiming is good enough to kill online. Good engine!

SpokkX

didnt reflect upon that the orgiinal grunts had shotguns and chainguns

i am really glad they replaced them with some sort of plasma projectiles. Chainguns and shotguns cant be dodged and would have been quite annoying

Moff

naaaaaaa

Getting rid of all the hitscan enemies from classic doom was the best thing they did with this game.

It doesn't necessarily need to be hitscan, just faster bullets, like the ones the player is shooting. right now everything the enemies shoot is the exact same glowing ball and that's a bit boring. the only exception is the sniper rail shot but that's easily dodgeable as well.

there was a video somewhere that showed what made the original doom so great and that video focuses on the fact that doom offered 7 different enemies with completely different behavior, moves and weapons. and one point was that the weak possessed had weak shots that hit you immediately while the imps fired slow shots that hit harder but could be dodged. this is great in the first place becuase it's variety and variety is one of the most important things in a videogame.
however what doom mad especially great is that you had rooms mixed with all kinds of enemies and in every room in every shootout you had to quickly think what the best tactics are, which enemy to shoot forst, where to move to so you can't be hit. risk and rewards. that's what keeps you pumping and makes the game exciting, because you actually have to think a little, even if it's subconcious.

I agree with that video that this is what keeps me coming back to doom. so I do not agree with you at all when you say that losing (part of) that was the best decision they made.

pa22word

It doesn't necessarily need to be hitscan, just faster bullets, like the ones the player is shooting. right now everything the enemies shoot is the exact same glowing ball and that's a bit boring. the only exception is the sniper rail shot but that's easily dodgeable as well.

there was a video somewhere that showed what made the original doom so great and that video focuses on the fact that doom offered 7 different enemies with completely different behavior, moves and weapons. and one point was that the weak possessed had weak shots that hit you immediately while the imps fired slow shots that hit harder but could be dodged. this is great in the first place becuase it's variety and variety is one of the most important things in a videogame.
however what doom mad especially great is that you had rooms mixed with all kinds of enemies and in every room in every shootout you had to quickly think what the best tactics are, which enemy to shoot forst, where to move to so you can't be hit. risk and rewards. that's what keeps you pumping and makes the game exciting, because you actually have to think a little, even if it's subconcious.

I agree with that video that this is what keeps me coming back to doom. so I do not agree with you at all when you say that losing (part of) that was the best decision they made.

I guess this post is the difference between actually playing the older games and watching a video that tells you how awesome they were.

Please, go play plutonia sometime, walk around a corner, and record your exact reaction when you get mowed down by a chaingunner out of the blue simply because you had no real way to avoid the amount of damage that was coming towards you. See if that "variety is the end all be all!" bs keeps you from wanting to break your keyboard.

Top Bottom