• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

The Flash

Banned
Never really got on with FPS, but I should get Doom if I liked Wolfestein?

Just sounds too good to miss the hell hype train.

Wolfenstein is a lot more of a linear/narrative shooter than Doom is. This game has a a barebones narrative and is focused entirely on big arena style gameplay.

TL;DR version

Wolfenstein = We must figure out how the Nazi's were able to take over the world with all of this advanced technology
Doom = Pick up gun. Shoot demon. Repeat.

They are very different games but similar in the sense that they both have fantastic shooting mechanics. The combat really shines in both. That said, I see Wolfenstein as a modern shooter with classic elements, whereas Doom is more of a classic shooter with modern elements. Doom has little to no focus on stuff like story and set-pieces; it's really all about the action. There is also a Metroid Prime-like feel to the level design in the sense that the levels are somewhat non-linear and encourage backtracking.

Ultimately you will need to enjoy the act of skillful shooting and maneuvering to have much fun with Doom as that's mostly all there is.

Raptomex

Interesting that the newest COD trailer has so many dislikes, the Battlefield 1 trailer has so many likes and this new Doom seems to be rather liked as well... I reckon people really want a change of pace from the modern/limited futuristic setting.
I really don't mind the futuristic, sci-fi stuff in shooters, especially Doom, I'm just tired of the linear, scripted, cinematic shooters that last about 4 hours, lack any real replay value, and focus entirely on multiplayer.

Wolfenstein is more character driven, and has a different pace from Doom. However Doom is such a great fps experience that anyone that remotely likes the genre should play it.

Apocryphon

I don't know whether I want a Quake reboot now or just more Doom. I suppose they could just add the lightning gun and grenade launcher to Doom's arsenal. The game basically plays like Quake now anyway.

T.O.P

Banned
Doom Twitter account justed tweeted this

UXorlrP.png

I think it's safe to say that we'll get a sequel now

Beautiful

Moff

I don't know whether I want a Quake reboot now or just more Doom. I suppose they could just add the lightning gun and grenade launcher to Doom's arsenal. The game basically plays like Quake now anyway.

I agree, the new DOOM is a best of of Doom, Brutal Doom and quake, there is no need for quake.
how could it be better than Dooms mechanics? just give us more Doom asap.

Ok I love DOOM and Wolfenstein but they are really not that comparable beyond the bullet point of "old school elements"

You pick up health/armor in Wolf sure, but it isn't arena gameplay.

I honestly prefer the gunplay in Wolf way more (and I love the stealth!) but the encounters in DOOM are just first person twin-stick shooter madness. The story in Wolf is way more memorable, DOOM is more intense

They complement each other fairly well but if someone liked DOOM I'd find it hard to recommend Wolfenstein solely based on that, as they'd probably find it too modern/narrative driven

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I agree, the new DOOM is a best of of Doom, Brutal Doom and quake, there is no need for quake.
how could it be better than Dooms mechanics? just give us more Doom asap.
It's the eldritch horror X sci-fi element that I really want to see return. Quake's aesthetic is still super cool and perfect for a shooter.

bounchfx

just about to finish the game and I wanted to share some thoughts:

Overall, fucking fantastic game, 9/10 as far as the SP go with some minor gripes:

one, I find myself only really using about half of the weapons. This isn't fully the games fault, but I really don't see any reason to use the chaingun, pistol, or even rocket launcher much (if ever). Part of this is the balance.. I haven't upgraded my chaingun so maybe the coated roudns are way better, but right now both of those weapons feel insanely underpowered. rocket launcher is a joke. the only thing it kills is me, from halfway across the room! to kill a caecodemon it took me 18-20 rockets. DIRECT HITS. WHY? This takes 3 super shotgun hits or one charge blast from the beam rifle. This makes the rocket launcher pointless for anything more than grunts, but I feel is a symptom of my next point which is..

the glory kills were great, until they werent. At first, I loved the glory kills. I still like the implementation an the system itself. My problem is how big the gap is from being able to shoot someone to oblivion and being able to just press F to finish them. The difference is fucking staggering (no pun intended). I need to either shoot them for another 5-10 seconds with something like the rocket launcher or even machine gun, or hell, even another 5 shotgun blasts, for them to die. Or I can press F and finish them instantly. It favors the glory kills so heavily that you essentially need to rely on them to kill foes off so they don't recover and add to the number of people attacking you. I've noticed it more and more towards the end of the game and it bothers me.

last complaint really isn't against the game at all, but more of a question: that nvidia video of gameplay, the character moves SO FAST?? so I thought there was another upgrade. but here I am at the end of the game and I don't move at that speed. Did he have haste? is there an upgrade I missed that's non-obvious?

second question: wtf are the red and green pill-bars under your weapon in the HUD?

overall the game is fucking awesome and does so much right, I can only hope they patch in a multiplayer mode that resembles quake or ut as far as how the mapping and weapon spawns are handled.

Vinc

I can't wait to dive into this. This game, Dishonored, and Wolfenstein makes me appreciate Bethesda so, so much right now. They're really taking risks and making the type of games I crave that not many others are making right now.

Their success also has me wondering if Sony should be considering a Resistance reboot right now...

PnCIa

Goodness this game seems to be resonating really well with most people. I've been watching some PC gameplay and holy shit at how fast combat is. The play spaces look amazing in their design for mobility. I'm so close to pulling the trigger on the PS4 version. Hmmmmmm
Go for it. From my POV this is the best FPS game since ~10 years. Other games have amazing combat, but Doom does so much more on top...and everything is excellent about it. Even the platforming is fun.
And those levels. Who would´ve expected a game like this to happen in our current gaming landscape.

antitrop

last complaint really isn't against the game at all, but more of a question: that nvidia video of gameplay, the character moves SO FAST?? so I thought there was another upgrade. but here I am at the end of the game and I don't move at that speed. Did he have haste? is there an upgrade I missed that's non-obvious?

There is a Rune that grants a small temporary haste bonus after pulling off a Glory Kill. It goes well with the Rune that speeds up the GK animations and the Rune that makes enemies easier to stagger.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
the glory kills were great, until they werent. At first, I loved the glory kills. I still like the implementation an the system itself. My problem is how big the gap is from being able to shoot someone to oblivion and being able to just press F to finish them. The difference is fucking staggering (no pun intended). I need to either shoot them for another 5-10 seconds with something like the rocket launcher or even machine gun, or hell, even another 5 shotgun blasts, for them to die. Or I can press F and finish them instantly. It favors the glory kills so heavily that you essentially need to rely on them to kill foes off so they don't recover and add to the number of people attacking you. I've noticed it more and more towards the end of the game and it bothers me.

Agreed with most of your points, but especially this about Glory Kills. Feels like the plasma and assault rifle can kill off a glory-stunned enemy immediately with an extra shot, but almost every other gun demands more ammo to remove them from combat in that state than it took to put them there in the first place. A strange glitch? It can't be intentional. You really do end up relying on glory kills, even if the health isn't needed and forcing yourself to enter danger across the arena when using any of the inefficient weapons.

I want this on PC but I'm shit with kb &mouse. So if I get it on pc I'll be playing it on a controller. I guess I'll get ruined on multiplayer though :(

I have a wireless keyboard and mouse and I don't think they will be reponsive enough for mp. Let along me hands being too slow on kb&m anyway lol.

Woorloog

Banned
Quake is primarily known for its multiplayer, so yes, there is very much a need for Quake.

Yes.

Also, i would like a new Quake 1-styled single player campaign. DOOM's campaign is great so...

That said, DOOM-brutal Quake 2-styled campaign would be pretty great too. IMO.

Neiteio

I'm impressed by the balance of the rune challenges in this game. They're timed to perfection, often demanding near-perfect execution and coming down to the last second. And by the time you complete them (often after multiple attempts), you feel like you've truly mastered the skill that will be improved by the rune being awarded.

For example, one challenge gives you a rune that increases your air control after a jump. The challenge for it has you jumping with precision from one time extension to the next, and it comes down to the last second. Another challenge starts you off with critical health and gives you a limited amount of time to take out a variety of enemies, forcing you to rely on armor pickups. As a fitting reward, you get a rune that makes enemies drop armor. It came down to me and a Pinky, with less than 30 seconds on the clock — and I only had 1 HP and 2 armor points!

They could make a whole WarioWare-style spinoff of these rune challenges and it would be a brilliant game in its own right. :)

I'm impressed by the balance of the rune challenges in this game. They're timed to perfection, often demanding near-perfect execution and coming down to the last second. And by the time you complete them (often after multiple attempts), you feel like you've truly mastered the skill that will be improved by the rune being awarded.

For example, one challenge gives you a rune that increases your air control after a jump. The challenge for it has you jumping with precision from one time extension to the other, and it comes down to the last second. Another challenge starts you off with critical health and gives you a limited amount of time to take a variety of enemies, forcing you to rely on armor pickups. As a fitting reward, you get a rune that makes enemies drop armor. It came down to me and a Pinky, with less than 30 seconds on the clock — and I only had 1HP and 2 armor points!

They could make a whole WarioWare-style spinoff of these rune challenges and it would be a brilliant game in its own right. :)

This could be a mode in itself; I am enjoying them immensely.

EmSeta

Okay guys, it didn't click with me at all at first, but after finishing a few levels, I'm officially sold. It's a lot of fun.

Second boss fight is much better than the first, good shit

It's like I'm waiting for the encounters to get old/annoying but they aren't.

mdsfx

Okay guys, it didn't click with me at all at first, but after finishing a few levels, I'm officially sold. It's a lot of fun.

The first level or two don't do much for the game IMO. I started to become underwhelmed until the levels opened up into the multi-tiered mazes that they become. When that happened and I found my first secret (a classic Doom level) I started to grin.

lcap

Some of those quotes are crazy. "Best shooter of 2016!" Only five months in with a decent amount of shooters still set for release.

Well, but in my opinion, it's easily one of the great candidates for best shooter this year.

But yeah, I see the point you're taking.

antitrop

Some of those quotes are crazy. "Best shooter of 2016!" Only five months in with a decent amount of shooters still set for release.

Overwatch
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Calladooty
Battlefield 1
Titanfall 2
Lawbreakers
Shadow Warrior 2

With most of those being multiplayer-focused, I can really only see Deus Ex or Shadow Warrior 2 topping DOOM's single-player side.

george_us

It's not like the competition is all that stiff.

Second boss fight is much better than the first, good shit

It's like I'm waiting for the encounters to get old/annoying but they aren't.
DOOM is on that RE4 plan of never repeating the same encounter twice. Combine that with great pacing and varied level design and you've got a winner.

Neiteio

DOOM is on that RE4 plan of never repeating the same encounter twice. Combine that with great pacing and varied level and you've got a winner.
Great observation. DOOM does remind me of RE4 in terms of its pacing. It really takes ownership of its combat and goes all-out keeping it varied, well-paced and engaging.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Overwatch
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Calladooty
Battlefield 1
Titanfall 2
Lawbreakers
Shadow Warrior 2

With most of those being multiplayer-focused, I can really only see Deus Ex or Shadow Warrior 2 topping DOOM's single-player side.

I have a sneaking suspicion that BF1's campaign will be surprisingly good, it's based on nothing tbh, but considering the setting I think they are going to go the extra mile.

Still won't come anywhere near Doom though.

antitrop

I have a sneaking suspicion that BF1's campaign will be surprisingly good, it's based on nothing tbh, but considering the setting I think they are going to go the extra mile.

Still won't come anywhere near Doom though.

It would be a triumph over the odds, because boy, do I ever hate the Battlefield 3 and 4 campaigns.

StewboaT_

Awesome game, albeit slightly repetitive near the end. Boss battles were dope and the fully upgraded super shotgun was so damn satisfying. 8/10

Neiteio

I doubt anything will top DOOM for a while if you like old-school shooters (i.e. no ADS, no cover, no health regen, no reloading, minimal story, super-fast movement, double-jumping, enemy fire you can see and dodge, huge complex maps, smart backtracking, loads of secrets, etc, etc, etc). The best part is, calling it purely "old-school" sells it short, since DOOM also modernizes the formula in all the right ways.

Top Bottom