• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Once you get to later levels it is absolutely a balance of being aggressive enough to keep the demons way, but still having to give them mercy for a much needed glory kill. Nice eb and flow.

Fuck Barons of Hell. I shit my pants everytime I fight one.

Moff

Once you get to later levels it is absolutely a balance of being aggressive enough to keep the demons way, but still having to give them mercy for a much needed glory kill. Nice eb and flow.

Fuck Barons of Hell. I shit my pants everytime I fight one.

I like them, I think they are great, and not that hard. both the barons and the imps are fantastic enemies. I love how they move and act, so much fun to play cat and mouse with them and kill them. I don't even think they are that hard.

I got killed more by pinkes and the guards with the shields.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
I like them, I think they are great, and not that hard. both the barons and the imps are fantastic enemies. I love how they move and act, so much fun to play cat and mouse with them and kill them. I don't even think they are that hard.

I got killed more by pinkes and the guards with the shields.

First time I fought pinkies I died. They are so fast. They are the priority kill when they spawn.

Admodieus

Finished the sixth mission/level last night and good lord, what an experience. Loved the introduction of the
Baron
and all the arena fights. I want more.

The mission before it had such a Half Life vibe, climbing the tower/reactor. Makes me miss that series too.

I'm trying to abstain from gushing about this game just in case something goes horribly wrong with the second half, but it's tough. This game is absolutely amazing. Just finished the level where you
break those energy cores or whatever to shut down the tower and the voice is telling me to go kill that woman.
I'm trying to pace myself and do one level a day.

It's honestly giving me Demon's Souls vibes in terms of coming out of nowhere and blowing away expectations by jettisoning the AAA trends of their respective times for the most part.

If the second half is as good as the first, this is probably the best game I've played on PS4 and easily my GOTY. Haven't even finished and already I'm fiending for a sequel. I don't want to see it annualized or anything, just one more this gen.

RowdyReverb

Aughhh.. went to bed wayy to late after finally picking this up last night.

snap map puzzles are awesome.

Actually, snapmap is my favorite part right now, even though campaign is pretty great.
I think if it takes off with the community, id will support it quite well. The groundwork is there.

But holy crap the glory kills are awful. I am playing on a pretty hard difficulty and everything is scarce..so i have to glory kill almost every other enemy. It is just terrible. Walk, shoot, kill animation, walk, shoot, kill animation, walk, run, jump, shoot, kill animation, etc etc.
Glory kills are a little more tolerable when you get the rune that speeds them up. There's also a tune that gives you a speed boost after a glory kill, so they can actually speed up your game with the right combo

Moff

I never used the rune that made glory kills shorter, I loved the glory kills, they never got old.

my favourite 3 runes:
- 2 extra lives
- collect armor from glory kills
- enemies get into staggered state sooner

made for a very easy nightmare endgame

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I know this is the main thread and not the snapmap thread but I wanted to crosspost and share how much work goes into making a full fledged map.

I've created a reimagined Doom 64 Level 1 with 10 secrets and an ending fight. I really enjoyed Doom 64, although people's feelings on it are mixed(mainly on the music being more scarily ambient instead of metal).

Check it out here: UMRLCE7N

This is a sample of the map. It's almost accurate to the original.

uRboYAR.gif

Oz8eMrV.png

Abw4mYS.png

Creating a full fledged level is really, really involved work. I felt like I was actually working for id while making this. There are so many variables to consider, what happens when a player dies, what spawns where and at what time, what to take away and what to add, making sure there is enough health and ammo, making sure the player isn't overwhelmed, making sure a creature in a room way in the distance doesn't run towards the starting area, making sure music works, sounds work, making sure secrets have just enough of a noticeable hint.

One thing that didn't help while making this was the fact that they put a limit on enemy spawns. For example, consider if a player didn't fight at the start and ran past your enemies to other rooms, if the enemies are still spawned in the previous rooms, the game won't load the next enemies that it's supposed to and the player can just waltz right through your level, no issue. You have to create 'if statements' to cover all bases so your level isn't cheated. You also have to create if statements so that the older enemies spawn again if the player backtracks, but the ones that are dead should remain dead. This limitation really sucks and I hope they remove it in the future(framerate be damned), because most of my work went into this.

While making this and taking hours upon hours to do so it just made me respect id even more on making a game like this in 2016 since the easy way out really is corridor shooting or canceled Doom 4. They had the heart and spirit to go the extra mile and it paid off with the fans and the critics alike.

lcap

Man, the feeling beating a rune trial after half an hour trying:

6c7.png

I just hate (in a good way, love it) the Hell Knight, so aggressive, so fearless and that feeling when you stop running from him and stagger him with an avalanche of bullets. SO GOOD.

I really hope this game is successful enough to start a renaissance in FPS design. I've enjoyed quite a few modern CoDs and many of the games that borrowed from that school of design but I'm ready for more of this type of action. The movement, the shooting, the enemy design, the rush of adrenaline that accompanies every bout of combat... so good.

Even in retrospect so many modern shooter campaigns seem like a slog after playing Doom. I am tired of sitting in cover waiting for the red jelly on the edges of my screen to go away.

bosseye

You know whats annoying? Secret hunting and you go into a part of the level you don't appear to be able to get back from. I did it in the Argent Tower, missed a doomguy and couldn't get back up. At least you can replay the chapters.

Awesome game though, so beautifully frantic at times. I'm really enjoying the secret hunting too, the 3D map viewer is a thing of beauty.

Also reposting this because no one cared a few pages back ;_;

Also, did anyone else find this nice little easter egg (probably, but I haven't read the whole thread) in hell when you first meet a Baron of hell, the small cave where you find the lever to open the entrance to the classic Doom section....there is a corpse with a skyrim helmet on and an arrow in its knee

m4st4

You only have to beat the first level for the ultra nightmare trophy right? Does not seem that bad if that is the case.
I thought so too, but then I realized how much I miss my long range shotgun upgrades. It's a bitch and I won't attempt it again until all the other trophies are in the can.

Ripenen

Amazing game that somehow avoids being disappointing. The one thing I find myself wishing for is better sound effects on the weapons. In the original DOOM even the pistol was pretty loud. I'd actually pay for better sound effects as DLC.

But holy crap the glory kills are awful. I am playing on a pretty hard difficulty and everything is scarce..so i have to glory kill almost every other enemy. It is just terrible. Walk, shoot, kill animation, walk, shoot, kill animation, walk, run, jump, shoot, kill animation, etc etc.
No, you don't need to.

marrec

Banned
No, you don't need to.

I agree, I'm playing on Ultra-Violence and I actually avoid Glory Kills for the most part because it often puts you in a bad position. If I can quickly kill a big guy with the glory kill and it won't put me in a place to get splatted by a Hell Knight or eaten by a Cacodemon I'll do it, but otherwise fuck that. Dudes do way too much damage on the higher difficulties.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I was relying on GKs for a while until I got back into the groove of playing a fast, non-stop shooter. Once I stopped taking constant damage I simply didn't have to do a GK that often. Though admittedly it gets easier to skip them once you get a few ammo capacity upgrades.

BigDug13

So what are some recommended adjustments to controller sensitivity, etc on PS4? I've changed to strafe. Look smoothing 0%? I've switched off auto switch empty too and have 100 FOV set.

Ixion

Wow, I had almost the exact same thought. This game definitely has a very unique vibe about it. It has a very "meta" or almost dreamlike feel, as if it's saying "Here's that awesome Doom experience you wanted, now have fun", instead of actually just making another Doom game. It's hard to explain.

But then again, I was high half the time playing this game.

Izuna

Banned
So what are some recommended adjustments to controller sensitivity, etc on PS4? I've changed to strafe. Look smoothing 0%? I've switched off auto switch empty too and have 100 FOV set.

For Xbone I use...

110 FOV
100 Horizontal Sensitivity
86% Vertical Sensitivity
No Smoothing and No Auto-aim

IMO Auto-aim is just going to stop you from learning muscle-memory for quick shots.

FOV is purely what works for you.

--

Pinkies are super OP in some of the Classic Maps...

I'm definitely no console FPS expert, but I worked out some settings that give my aiming an instinctive feel. Keep in mind that I have a Juggernog KontrolFreek on the right stick.

Aim assist stays off most of the time. I also turned off smoothing. Vertical: 48, Horizontal: 47 running on a display with around 8ms of input lag. I'm not sure if it's in my head, but turning off ambient occlusion makes input a bit sharper. I turn on aim assist when I'm feeling more casual. To its credit, aim assist isn't nearly as intrusive in Doom (2016) as it is in other console FPSs I've played this gen.

Hope that helps.

mokeyjoe

For Xbone I use...

110 FOV
100 Horizontal Sensitivity
86% Vertical Sensitivity
No Smoothing and No Auto-aim

IMO Auto-aim is just going to stop you from learning muscle-memory for quick shots.

FOV is purely what works for you.

--

Pinkies are super OP in some of the Classic Maps...

100% Horizontal sensitivity? I don't think I could ever aim like that, isn't it really twitchy? Granted I suck with a pad, but hey.

No smoothing definitely. It's so much easier without it. I don't really understand the point of it.

Izuna

Banned
100% Horizontal sensitivity? I don't think I could ever aim like that, isn't it really twitchy? Granted I suck with a pad, but hey.

No smoothing definitely. It's so much easier without it. I don't really understand the point of it.

Being able to turn 180 on reaction to hearing an enemy behind is important to me, but the trick to using high sensitivity is to understand that you will just get used to using the stick more calmly. I think Titanfall was the first time I ever tried high sensitivity, it helps and takes like 20 minutes to get used to.

--

Tier 3 bug: http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Cobalt Izuna/video/17800703

Think I'm nearing the end, haven't had any crashes. Just had two back to back. No warning or anything, it'll be working fine, then suddenly I'm looking at my desktop.

mokeyjoe

Being able to turn 180 on reaction to hearing an enemy behind is important to me, but the trick to using high sensitivity is to understand that you will just get used to using the stick more calmly. I think Titanfall was the first time I ever tried high sensitivity, it helps and takes like 20 minutes to get used to.

--

Tier 3 bug: http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Cobalt Izuna/video/17800703

I like the idea but I don't think I could manage it. I'll try it later. I'm sure hilarity will ensue.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member

For me, this felt the best on controller. Not too fast and unwieldy, not too slow and cumbersome. Also I recommend tactical layout for being able to jump and shoot easily without messing up your hand.

BSRWYh8.png

Neiteio

Also, did anyone else find this nice little easter egg (probably, but I haven't read the whole thread) in hell when you first meet a Baron of hell, the small cave where you find the lever to open the entrance to the classic Doom section....there is a corpse with a skyrim helmet on and an arrow in its knee
I didn't notice that! But I found another cave with
a corpse wearing Commander Keen's helmet
. :-O

Neiteio

I know this is the main thread and not the snapmap thread but I wanted to crosspost and share how much work goes into making a full fledged map.

I've created a reimagined Doom 64 Level 1 with 10 secrets and an ending fight. I really enjoyed Doom 64, although people's feelings on it are mixed(mainly on the music being more scarily ambient instead of metal).

Check it out here: UMRLCE7N

This is a sample of the map. It's almost accurate to the original.

Creating a full fledged level is really, really involved work. I felt like I was actually working for id while making this. There are so many variables to consider, what happens when a player dies, what spawns where and at what time, what to take away and what to add, making sure there is enough health and ammo, making sure the player isn't overwhelmed, making sure a creature in a room way in the distance doesn't run towards the starting area, making sure music works, sounds work, making sure secrets have just enough of a noticeable hint.

One thing that didn't help while making this was the fact that they put a limit on enemy spawns. For example, consider if a player didn't fight at the start and ran past your enemies to other rooms, if the enemies are still spawned in the previous rooms, the game won't load the next enemies that it's supposed to and the player can just waltz right through your level, no issue. You have to create 'if statements' to cover all bases so your level isn't cheated. You also have to create if statements so that the older enemies spawn again if the player backtracks, but the ones that are dead should remain dead. This limitation really sucks and I hope they remove it in the future(framerate be damned), because most of my work went into this.

While making this and taking hours upon hours to do so it just made me respect id even more on making a game like this in 2016 since the easy way out really is corridor shooting or canceled Doom 4. They had the heart and spirit to go the extra mile and it paid off with the fans and the critics alike.
This looks amazing.

Question: What do the blue crisscrossing lines mean in the SnapMap editor?

And when you say there are "if statements," is that an actual programming feature? Like you can set it up so that enemies trigger a certain way, or progression is gated a certain way (i.e. room lockdowns)?

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
This looks amazing.

Question: What do the blue crisscrossing lines mean in the SnapMap editor?

And when you say there are "if statements," is that an actual programming feature? Like you can set it up so that enemies trigger a certain way, or progression is gated a certain way (i.e. room lockdowns)?

Thank you, and yes 'if statements' are triggers, you can set custom ones, and you can set them for just about everything. You can set the two things you just mentioned and more. The blue crossing lines are all of the connecting triggers(and you can connect multiple ones). If you are covering all of your bases, you will have a ton of them.

Sullichin

I actually really liked Doom 3. Went back to it yesterday though, and the new Doom really makes 3 hard to play now. The movement feels so slow and you're staggered like crazy by enemy fire. It's clearly a very different type of game, but man, I remember it controlling smoothly at least.

Respawn

Banned
Question Gents and Ladies and forgive me if this topic was covered already.
If I reach a checkpoint in the game and I quit to continue later will I be able to load and continue from that last checkpoint?
Was fighting a some ruff mofo's last night and even though I had a checkpoint just before I was afraid if I was to quit it may kick me back the beginning.

Thanks in advance.

rtcn63

Question Gents and Ladies and forgive me if this topic was covered already.
If I reach a checkpoint in the game and I quit to continue later will I be able to load and continue from that last checkpoint?
Was fighting a some ruff mofo's last night and even though I had a checkpoint just before I was afraid if I was to quit it may kick me back the beginning.

Thanks in advance.

Yes.

Helscream

Banned
So I decided to take a break from multiplayer and try the SP on Nightmare difficulty. I am currently on Mission 8 and still having a blast. With other games playing on harder difficulties it ends up being a chore due to a lack gameplay mechanics, but with DOOM it's a totally different story. With all the weapons, secondary firing modes, equipment, Praetor suit upgrades, and demon runes you really have a broad selection of tools to overcome every encounter.

Goddamn I love this game.

A couple of notes:

I keep forgetting I have a chainsaw. I haven't used it once, just never occurs to me in battles. Do you guys use it frequently?

And I'm bad at finding secrets. I feel like I explore thoroughly and after reaching chapter 6 I have found 1 collectible doomguy and no secret levels :( this isn't a complaint as much as a compliment to the map design

Top Bottom