• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

A couple of notes:

I keep forgetting I have a chainsaw. I haven't used it once, just never occurs to me in battles. Do you guys use it frequently?

And I'm bad at finding secrets. I feel like I explore thoroughly and after reaching chapter 6 I have found 1 collectible doomguy and no secret levels :( this isn't a complaint as much as a compliment to the map design

I only use it when I need ammo really.

Lorcain

A couple of notes:

I keep forgetting I have a chainsaw. I haven't used it once, just never occurs to me in battles. Do you guys use it frequently?
I keep forgetting to use the chainsaw too. Because it has limited uses I want to save it for when I really need it, but then I forget to use it. I tried to use it last night on a big baddie, but he was too big to be murdered by a chainsaw...unless I upgrade it?

Izuna

Banned
Funny, the larger enemies are the easiest.

I use the chainsaw whenever I need ammo for certain power weapons, which is rare.

Dunno which I prefer, Rocket of Gauss. I guess I'll switch between them. Super Shotty overtakes all other weapons. I feel like the other weapons only shine in Cassic Stages, and you can't even use the upgrades lol

DieH@rd

Banned
A couple of notes:

O yeah, it is great for both smaller enemies when I'm out of ammo, and for big ones when I just want to end fight more quickly [and get ammo].

rtcn63

Funny, the larger enemies are the easiest.

I use the chainsaw whenever I need ammo for certain power weapons, which is rare.

Imps are the hardest enemy in the game for me. Especially during the later missions where there's multiple stories for them to shoot from, just tossing burning feces at you while you're running around like a headless chicken trying not to get stomped on by super mario hell knights.

Moff

Suggestions on the best gun mods to upgrade?

I already maxed the explosive shot on the shotgun and I'm working on the pulse rifle stun

super shotgunt maxed out
rocket launcher with the lock on
siege gauss
mobile turret chaingun
the bfg

you don't need more, the tier 2 weapons in this game are absolutely godlike

vaderise

Game is getting more fun after a few hours.It's still kinda repetitive but gunplay feels VERY satisfying so it never gets boring.
I could've enjoyed this much more if i didn't play Ratchet&Clank this year.

BigDug13

super shotgunt maxed out
rocket launcher with the lock on
siege gauss
mobile turret chaingun
the bfg

you don't need more, the tier 2 weapons in this game are absolutely godlike

Stun shot with just the faster recovery unlocked on plasma rifle is really handy. Stuns nearly everything leaving them open for close range super shotgun or time enough to charge up a siege shot. Maxed out micro missiles on heavy rifle is fun too. Even early on without upgrades it's handy.

Moff

Stun shot with just the faster recovery unlocked on plasma rifle is really handy. Stuns nearly everything leaving them open for close range super shotgun or time enough to charge up a siege shot. Maxed out micro missiles on heavy rifle is fun too. Even early on without upgrades it's handy.

I liked it until I got the siege gun, but why waste ammo on the plasma rifle with stuns when just can siege them into oblivion

on another note, what the heck am I doing wrong on snapmap, whener I host or join a coop game I am just alone on the lobby?

Neiteio

RE: chainsaw:

It's a panic button. I use it whenever I'm overwhelmed by tank enemies in close quarters. Usually some combination of Hell Knights/Barons/Mancubi... plus Pinkies. When they mix in the Pinkies, the chainsaw comes out!

It's a real lifesaver in the final battle of Mission 12. The one where you come off the train. Most intense encounter I've seen in a modern FPS.

marrec

Banned

It's a panic button. I use it whenever I'm overwhelmed by tank enemies in close quarters. Usually some combination of Hell Knights/Barons/Mancubi... plus Pinkies. When they mix in the Pinkies, the chainsaw comes out!

It's a real lifesaver in the final battle of Mission 12. The one where you come off the train. Most intense encounter I've seen in a modern FPS.

I actually use it mostly as a mobile ammo dump.

If I'm running particularly low I'll whip out the chainsaw and drop a few big guys for ammo.

BigDug13

I liked it until I got the siege gun, but why waste ammo on the plasma rifle with stuns when just can siege them into oblivion

on another note, what the heck am I doing wrong on snapmap, whener I host or join a coop game I am just alone on the lobby?

Not everyone has it all unlocked. You can start stunning WAY before you can realistically use moveable siege mode. I'm still working on my siege mastery. Standing still to use it sucks ass so in the meantime having them stand there stunned allowing me to use immobile siege mode, even better. It only costs 10 per stun.

I never use explosive shotgun either now, but I used the shit out of it in the early levels. It's still useful to have fun toys until you unlock other fun toys.

Izuna

Banned
Yeah so, after playing a level in Hell, what made this game difficult was its important in movement and how it would restrict you in earlier levels (and the classic levels oh my goodness). If you're good with movement, you'll have little problem on Nightmare. I'm looking forward to the end levels though, hope it gets crazy.

Just beat the game now, what a fun ride. Even the initial credit sequence was awesome. Always great when a game comes out of nowhere and really surprises you.

Bring on the single player DLC.

Finished at around 16.75 hours(i'm slow and look around a lot). Overall it was really fun. The only things I did not like were:

-The weapons sounded really weak(especially the useless pistol and the gauss gun)
-No monster closets like the original dooms. Occasionally, enemies would spawn in once you trigger something, but I loved how enemies would come out of random wall panels in the old games

3DShovel

Just finished up the campaign on UV. Didn't collect many of the secrets or even encounter any of the classic levels :(

Time to run through again!

Time to run through again!
I am having a fucking blast replaying these levels.

You get to know where all the armor and ammo, where all the power ups are, and crucially - the best times among all the demon waves to go for them.

You know which weapons you're going to want to use for each engagement but there's still plenty of room to experiment and play. Have already bumped up the difficulty once so far from getting more comfortable in replays, and think I'll need to bump it up again to hit that new sweet spot where I have to stay on my toes.

And unless you were a total completionist on your first run, there's always the context of progression - weapon challenges, rune challenges, level challenges, finding all the collectibles, secret stashes and classic DOOM rooms.

There's still plenty to love.

And I actually have a great time with the mutliplayer. It lacks polish, but the bunny hopping, rocket launching, machine gunning goodness is still there, and makes for some pure, simple fun.

The only problem with replays are the unskippable cut-scenes. Thankfully they're all pretty damn short.

I'm in the middle of a mission about halfway through the game right now.

If I boot up the first mission, will I a)lose my checkpoint like how it is in Halo, and will I b)keep my powerups in that first mission?

m4st4

Sometimes I fuck up and use my BFG instead... on a fuckin imp, or worse. This game is too intense at times - love it.

You know when they throw a couple of Hell Barons on your ass, after everything, that shit truly hit the fan.

Neiteio

Sometimes I fuck up and use my BFG instead... on a fuckin imp, or worse. This game is too intense at times - love it.
I fuck up with the BFG all the time. There are videos of otherwise cool moments I want to share that I don't, because in the middle of the fight I charge up and fire the BFG right as I fall into a pit, shooting the wall instead, lol.

m4st4 said:
You know when they throw a couple of Hell Barons on your ass, after everything, that shit truly hit the fan.
Yeah, that Mission 12 fight starts with two Barons of Hell. They're not pulling any punches with that fight, haha. Pretty much every demon shows up in that battle except for the Hell Knights. A small mercy!

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Lawd this game, it's really something special. Such a thrill when you finish a big encounter. In chapter 8 now and I cant get enough. I may like this even more than Wolf TNO. Incredible on all fronts.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I just did this same exact thing this morning. Even chose the same upgrade. Did you remotely record me?

I'm going to have to ask you to stop

Never! I turned on your Kinect too
even if you don't think you have one

man I spent a good hour yesterday trying to beat that boss, not even getting past his first form. picked it up today and I beat the whole thing on the first try.

sometimes I feel like I'm video game bipolar.

man I spent a good hour yesterday trying to beat that boss, not even getting past his first form. picked it up today and I beat the whole thing on the first try.

Same, sometimes I do so well then I make a really dumb mistake totally by accident.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

This happens to me all the time, especially on tough encounters and puzzles after a long session.

Neiteio

Which boss? There are three.

I was like this with the final boss of Star Fox Zero. Fucking awesome game (once it clicks), but the final boss is super-hard. But then I came back the next day and one-shot it. o_O

Whenever that happens I figure my subconscious has been cranking away at the problem overnight.

It happens so much with The Witness that I'm half convinced that the game exists to allow Jonathan Blow to subtly rewire our minds.

The Flash

Banned

wWDPfNO.png

Which boss? There are three.

I was like this with the final boss of Star Fox Zero. Fucking awesome game (once it clicks), but the final boss is super-hard. But then I came back the next day and one-shot it. o_O
the second boss
es

for some reason I was trying to be strategic yesterday and use the homing rockets and time everything right and the today I remembered I have a super shotgun and just sidestepped his attacks and blew him to hell.

and the second guys were really easy which I thought was weird

Grief.exe

Lawd this game, it's really something special. Such a thrill when you finish a big encounter. In chapter 8 now and I cant get enough. I may like this even more than Wolf TNO. Incredible on all fronts.

The base gameplay loop is significantly better than TNO, so I would say Doom wins.

I think TNO took some risks in branching out from the modern shooter, Doom went a few steps further.

Moff

if you replay a mission you do not get the "continue" function in the mission select menu

that is dumb because the game crashes often in the later levels, so you have to replay the whole level

daakusedo

Bad french translation again for bethesda.
One challenge replace "stick" by "kill" 5 demons in 5s with missiles, like how do i do this...then all confused checking menu and seeing it accomplished.
And they downright put the wrong demon for the screwdriver challenge, imp instead of possessed I think.

LiK

man, got to
Hell
and it continues to be fun. Not a huge fan of the platforming stuff but at least it wasn't super frustrating.

Damn the Super Shotgun with the fast reload perk really makes it the best for close encounters.

I am killing revenants by just circling around them. Two direct hits and I can finish them.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Damn the Super Shotgun with the fast reload perk really makes it the best for close encounters.

I am killing revenants by just circling around them. Two direct hits and I can finish them.
Being able to double tap with it completely changes my entire approach to the gun. I love it.

Top Bottom