• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

lcap

Guys, any tips for the Rich gets richer trial? Its getting on my nerves right now. Its the one with the rocket launcher and no equip drops.

Man, those last pinkies are impossible.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Guys, any tips for the Rich gets richer trial? Its getting on my nerves right now. Its the one with the rocket launcher and no equip drops.

Man, those last pinkies are impossible.
That was the hardest one for me. Try to make good use of the remote detonation on the Pinkies to hit their soft bits and stay on the move. Also make sure you have a good distance between you and any rockets because they can do a ton of damage in that trial.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
It's so tempting to try more than the first level on ultra-nightmare except it isn't, fuck permadeath, it's all about the Doom Marine coming back again and again 'till vengeance is served ad nauseum.

BigDug13

It's so tempting to try more than the first level on ultra-nightmare except it isn't, fuck permadeath, it's all about the Doom Marine coming back again and again 'till vengeance is served ad nauseum.

It would be cooler if there was a mode similar to the original Doom where if you died you didn't start the entire episode over, but you started the level over with nothing. They'd probably have to leave more guns laying around though.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
It would be cooler if there was a mode similar to the original Doom where if you died you didn't start the entire episode over, but you started the level over with nothing. They'd probably have to leave more guns laying around though.

That's an interesting idea, though it would be tricky in later levels. Guns would have to be more readily available, as you noted.

tornjaw

Fantastic. I didn't have high expectations but the word of mouth on GAF pushed me to purchase it and I couldn't be happier. After being let down for years by ID Software I finally feel like the DooM franchise has been successfully revived.

As for the game itself, I beat it and completed nearly every trophy. Finished up the last challenge for the
IDKFA (Gold) — Earn the Masteries for all weapon mods.
trophy* and it glitched. No Platinum for this guy. Looks like I'm done.

*I can't remember if that trophy is visible or not

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
There isn't an fps that controls and feels better than this on consoles.

Just pure sex.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
There isn't an fps that controls and feels better than this on consoles.

Just pure sex.
I sound like a broken record but this really can't be understated. I've been able to pull off stuff I've never done with a controller before. It feels sublime.

mokeyjoe

Being able to turn 180 on reaction to hearing an enemy behind is important to me, but the trick to using high sensitivity is to understand that you will just get used to using the stick more calmly. I think Titanfall was the first time I ever tried high sensitivity, it helps and takes like 20 minutes to get used to.

--

Tier 3 bug: http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Cobalt Izuna/video/17800703

Yeah, just tried setting it to 100 and it's surprisingly playable this way, not having the trouble aiming I thought I might. I guess turning smoothing off really helps.

Also moved to the bumper jumper scheme. It's a real game changer, literally. :)

Neiteio

wWDPfNO.png
Haha, just saw this. Gimme a sec, I'm updating!

Neiteio

The idea of an energy company fracking Hell is so hilariously stupid and awesome at the same time. It just struck me anew, haha.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So every time I launch this it freezes and reboots my PC before displaying anything. GTX 980, 4790k.

What do I do? I have reinstalled once already.

Izuna

Banned
Yeah, just tried setting it to 100 and it's surprisingly playable this way, not having the trouble aiming I thought I might. I guess turning smoothing off really helps.

Also moved to the bumper jumper scheme. It's a real game changer, literally. :)

See? ;)

--

For those using vids or guides for Secrets, Lunar Craft does an intro to each Mission telling you about PNRs and when you should start looking for secrets.

BigDug13

PROGRESS WIPING BUG:

I exited the Research Facility mission through the menu about 25% through the mission and decided to go back and 100% all the previous levels. I spent ALL DAY doing just that. I upgraded all my runes. I upgraded a couple more guns. I did the mission challenges. Then after that, I went back to my main mission 25% through the research facility. I instantly looked at my map and didn't like that I had missed a secret early in that mission so I selected "restart mission". The game restarted me at the start of that level with ALL of my progress reverted to how I was when I initially started that mission BEFORE going back and doing all that work to clear out the old missions. My guns and runes were back to their old upgrades. I panicked and exited to main menu and looked at my missions in the mission select tab. Yep, ALL the progress was reverted back.

So do NOT restart a level after doing some old missions until another save spot in the mission I guess. Everything gets wiped otherwise.

Izuna

Banned
PROGRESS WIPING BUG:

I exited the Research Facility mission through the menu about 25% through the mission and decided to go back and 100% all the previous levels. I spent ALL DAY doing just that. I upgraded all my runes. I upgraded a couple more guns. I did the mission challenges. Then after that, I went back to my main mission 25% through the research facility. I instantly looked at my map and didn't like that I had missed a secret early in that mission so I selected "restart mission". The game restarted me at the start of that level with ALL of my progress reverted to how I was when I initially started that mission BEFORE going back and doing all that work to clear out the old missions. My guns and runes were back to their old upgrades. I panicked and exited to main menu and looked at my missions in the mission select tab. Yep, ALL the progress was reverted back.

So do NOT restart a level after doing some old missions until another save spot in the mission I guess. Everything gets wiped otherwise.

I noticed this too. Restarting the mission will wipe progress back to when you first started it. Even if you did stuff in other levels in the meantime.

--

Haha btw, Pinkie demons were so hard in the classic maps but they are useless in the main game.

Neiteio

Haha btw, Pinkie demons were so hard in the classic maps but they are useless in the main game.
I actually find Pinkies to be the most challenging enemy in the main game. If I have enough space I can defeat them with a few Gauss Cannon shots, but otherwise I'm clumsily trying to sidestep them or jump over them, and they always seem to knick me. And if they manage to corner me, I pretty much have to use a chainsaw (or heck, the BFG) to break free. Brutal lil' buggers!

JayEH

Just beat it. Holy shit even the credits are amazing. Great game. Going to turn my attention to some other games but I'll definitely come back later to get all the secrets and upgrades. Bethesda is 2/2 with reviving old id franchises now.

mokeyjoe

I noticed this too. Restarting the mission will wipe progress back to when you first started it. Even if you did stuff in other levels in the meantime.

--

The game gives you plenty of space to run around - as long as you're mobile you're safe. If they do an 'Ultimate Doom' style DLC then I imagine they could easily raise the difficulty by making it more claustrophobic. I remember OG Doom being pretty easy, but Ultimate Doom was tough.

Izuna

Banned
The game gives you plenty of space to run around - as long as you're mobile you're safe. If they do an 'Ultimate Doom' style DLC then I imagine they could easily raise the difficulty by making it more claustrophobic. I remember OG Doom being pretty easy, but Ultimate Doom was tough.

Like, in Classic levels you cannot kill them from the front unless you spend like 7 rockets, and there was no space to jump over them.

All I do is just double jump or they die in like 3-4 hits with Gauss in the face.

And holy smokes btw, I chose the wrong Gauss upgrade. Siege looks stupid...

mokeyjoe

Like, in Classic levels you cannot kill them from the front unless you spend like 7 rockets, and there was no space to jump over them.

All I do is just double jump or they die in like 3-4 hits with Gauss in the face.

And holy smokes btw, I chose the wrong Gauss upgrade. Siege looks stupid...

Haven't met them on the classic levels yet, I'm still replaying and unlocking them. I can imagine they're pretty tough in that scenario.

Neiteio

What's the name of the Gauss Cannon's other mod? The one that's not siege mode? Because I actually find that more useful. It's essentially like a sniper rifle where you retain full movement speed, and it hits like a truck. You can take down the first and final boss with relative ease using it.

Neiteio

Does it hit harder than siege mode though?
Not sure, but it does a good chunk of damage to Cyberdemon with each headshot, far more than other weapons, and it's fast and accurate since it zooms when fired. I pretty much steamrolled the final boss when I switched to this strategy.

Izuna

Banned
Well I would take out the Cacodemons with a single shot (in the head), being able to dodge around their shots with increased mobility. But Siege, I would take them out before they even shoot.

I think the other mode is very comparable with lock-on rockets, but because you always have the ability to hip fire, there is little use for it since lesser enemies go down in a single shot anyways.

--

But yeah, Classic Levels... I don't know if they scale to difficulty, but I played on Nightmare... Hals of the Damned is some BS.

EDIT: FIX THIS CONTROLLER BS id! damn I hate moving slow just because my controller is pristine.

sn00zer

Getting near the end. Very fun game, but really really really repetitive. Really could have had some sort of scenes to break up the gameplay cycle.

Kinda surprised people are losing their shit over this game. Its pretty good, but its only a few steps forward from Painkiller largely due to the movement options.

I feel like the game could really be incredible if they mixed in the pretty interesting codec stuff into the actual gameplay....like having one of the Doom Slayer histories play while you are fighting.

Dunno just felt like the game having the pedal to the metal the entire time can make some scenes feel less amazing than they are. Same issue I had with Vanquish.

Neiteio

Getting near the end. Very fun game, but really really really repetitive. Really could have had some sort of scenes to break up the gameplay cycle.

Kinda surprised people are losing their shit over this game. Its pretty good, but its only a few steps forward from Painkiller largely due to the movement options.

I feel like the game could really be incredible if they mixed in the pretty interesting codec stuff into the actual gameplay....like having one of the Doom Slayer histories play while you are fighting.

Dunno just felt like the game having the pedal to the metal the entire time can make some scenes feel less amazing than they are. Same issue I had with Vanquish.
The last thing I'm thinking during battles is "Gee, I wish there was narration going on right now, I really could use more story getting in the way."

From start to finish, each battle has me squealing "FUCK YEAH, VIDEOGAMESSS!"

leng jai

The game is definitely too long in my opinion, especially since it's largely the same thing over and over again.

This is pretty much Wolfenstein all over again as far as reception goes. It's a very good good game that succeeds in producing exactly what it was aiming for but on a whole it's not amazing. Its quality is inflated by the fact that we have so few games of this ilk in the last decade, so when one comes along that is well executed it's going to get a lot of praise.

sn00zer

The last thing I'm thinking during battles is "Gee, I wish there was narration going on right now, I really could use more story getting in the way."

From start to finish, each battle has me squealing "FUCK YEAH, VIDEOGAMESSS!"
They could mix in narrative during battles, because literally every battle is clearing a room for the sake of clearing a room. Which is kind of a bleh objective especially given some of the neat things going on in the story.

My suggestion for the pacing of the levels to be more consistent, cuz as is there's the 10/10 intensity crazy waves of enemies in locked rooms and then 2/10 intensity walking around hallways and platforms out of danger until you get to the next arena. If, like classic Doom(or really any old school action game), there was a more general level of engagement throughout the levels, the structure of the game wouldn't feel so repetitive, stop-start-stop-start-stop-start.

rtcn63

Same boat. 2/3rds through the campaign, end up stopping after 30 minutes or so of playing each day. The game caters to shorter play sessions as the missions get longer, there just isn't really anything new once you've found most of the weapons, and fighting waves of enemies almost every step gets tiring. Even weapon/suit upgrade points become pretty generous. I haven't felt the need to upgrade or use the plasma rifle, shotgun, or assault rifle since they're superseded not long after.

Neiteio

My suggestion for the pacing of the levels to be more consistent, cuz as is there's the 10/10 intensity crazy waves of enemies in locked rooms and then 2/10 intensity walking around hallways and platforms out of danger until you get to the next arena. If, like classic Doom(or really any old school action game), there was a more general level of engagement throughout the levels, the structure of the game wouldn't feel so repetitive, stop-start-stop-start-stop-start.
Yeah, it doesn't really diminish the game overall, but a more balanced mix of light skirmishes and wave-based arenas would improve the experience in a potential sequel or DLC expansion. A few things to shoot here and there between the big battles. The connecting corridors in Lazarus Labs had the right idea.

sn00zer

I feel like totally ignoring narrative during gameplay was kind of a mistake. It threw out too much from modern games, and focused on really tight gameplay. Its kind of a bummer because the story and world is really interesting, its just not presented as well as it could have been. Really its a damn shame you cant listen to the Doom Slayer prophecies during fights, or maybe integrate the holograms outside of the slower areas.

Izuna

Banned
Because you're not geared to the teeth and most demons are way stronger than their classic counterparts.

But it's just... insanity. I run out of ammo quickly, every enemy is a damage sponge. It's like they put zero thought into these. It could have been much better with some nostalgic UI and at least the ability to bring past weapons into the later levels. Grr.

Top Bottom