• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

JayEH

The way the story presented is great. Has that old RE/souls style. Having things going on during gameplay would ruin that. It's there if you want it and can be interesting but doesn't get in your way.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Why do I find the main game so easy, but these Classic Maps are kicking my butt?

The classic maps are both harder and easier.

The first half will be a little hard because you just have the sucky pistol and enemies deal out a ton of damage. By the end of the level you should have more health and ammo than necessary though. Its all about finding the megaspheres.

Izuna

Banned
The classic maps are both harder and easier.

The first half will be a little hard because you just have the sucky pistol and enemies deal out a ton of damage. By the end of the level you should have more health and ammo than necessary though. Its all about finding the megaspheres.

I'm struggling with Underhalls at the moment. It's pretty insane.

edit: YES -- turns out that the pistol is key with those headshots

Grief.exe

So every time I launch this it freezes and reboots my PC before displaying anything. GTX 980, 4790k.

What do I do? I have reinstalled once already.

That sounds like a completely unstable system.

My suggestion for the pacing of the levels to be more consistent, cuz as is there's the 10/10 intensity crazy waves of enemies in locked rooms and then 2/10 intensity walking around hallways and platforms out of danger until you get to the next arena. If, like classic Doom(or really any old school action game), there was a more general level of engagement throughout the levels, the structure of the game wouldn't feel so repetitive, stop-start-stop-start-stop-start.

I have the same thoughts on the pacing.

Just beat the single player campaign and have to say... amazing. Love the speed, fluid combat, and it was good ole FPS fun.

I don't like MP FPS so... this will be the platinum that got away since those are the only trophies left to get.

Bravo to Id. Now redo Hexen! The nostalgia will be complete.

So... Snapmap is kind of a bummer, huh? If you're primarily interested in fresh single player or co-op challenges, at least. The more creative ones I've seen are neat and make clever use of the (admittedly powerful) scripting but nothing I've played has actually been fun. Having room presets was too limiting to begin with, but having them all be massive in scale leads to every area feeling exactly the same. Enemies are either missing some of their AI from the campaign or the behavior difference between UV+ and whatever Snapmap is using, I assume HMP/default, is way bigger than it should be. I wasn't expecting this to be anywhere near a full editor but its a shame how everything made in it feels bland, like every level was procedurally generated or something. Doesn't seem like that's map makers faults either, the tools just aren't there to give levels any flavor. Big letdown especially after Mario Maker showed that level editors in big mainstream games don't have to be so limited.

Grabbed this earlier this week based on the hype. It's delivering so far. The melee kills haven't gotten old for me yet, and they add some strategy when you need health. My only gripe so far is that it's hard to tell when you are being attacked.

jett

D-Member
Is it me or is the soundmix kind of weak? With headphones I feel like stuff is kind of far away from me. I can barely hear the explosions. Even the music is kind of on the low side. I'm not getting much "stereo" either.

Game's pretty fun otherwise. Hurt Me Plenty is pretty easy.

Grabbed this earlier this week based on the hype. It's delivering so far. The melee kills haven't gotten old for me yet, and they add some strategy when you need health. My only gripe so far is that it's hard to tell when you are being attacked.

Yeah I can't tell enemy positions at all by sound.

leng jai

Is it me or is the soundmix kind of weak? With headphones I feel like stuff is kind of far away from me. I can barely hear the explosions. Even the music is kind of on the low side. I'm not getting much "stereo" either.

Game's pretty fun otherwise. Hurt Me Plenty is pretty easy.

Yeah I can't tell enemy positions at all by sound.

Yeah, the mixing in the game is terrible. I already complained about this previously but it's almost impossible to hear enemies (even massive ones) coming up from behind you even if you're using headphones.

My suggestion for the pacing of the levels to be more consistent, cuz as is there's the 10/10 intensity crazy waves of enemies in locked rooms and then 2/10 intensity walking around hallways and platforms out of danger until you get to the next arena. If, like classic Doom(or really any old school action game), there was a more general level of engagement throughout the levels, the structure of the game wouldn't feel so repetitive, stop-start-stop-start-stop-start.

This is the main reason I'm holding off on buying the game right now. I'm sure I'll enjoy it when I get to it, but it's not "MUST PLAY IMMEDIATELY" because my favorite shooters are the ones that live in a more consistent middle ground intensity that know when to turn the volume up, but don't necessarily fluctuate from 0 to 10 every time. I have a strange relationship with arena-based shooter campaigns where I really have to be in the mood to play them or else I won't really appreciate it.

jett

D-Member
Yeah, the mixing in the game is terrible. I already complained about this previously but it's almost impossible to hear enemies (even massive ones) coming up from behind yeah even if you're using headphones.

I wonder if there is any chance this gets "fixed." Quickly checked the famed Nvidia demo and it sounds the same there. :|

I can't hear when I make shit go boom. I wanna hear shit going boom, damn it.

Yeah, the mixing in the game is terrible. I already complained about this previously but it's almost impossible to hear enemies (even massive ones) coming up from behind you even if you're using headphones.

I played with my Gold headset on PS4 and noticed this too. The sound was just all over the place and you couldn't tell shit. The music is the only good thing about the sound. It's a shame because that would have added a great element to the strategy of the firefights. Instead I feel like I just have to constantly strafe in circles to fine guys.

Zukkoyaki

Finished the first two missions and am having a blast! This is actually my first DOOM game and is warping my perception of first person shooters (in a good way). Seems to be a very obtainable Platinum Trophy as well.

Neiteio

This is the main reason I'm holding off on buying the game right now. I'm sure I'll enjoy it when I get to it, but it's not "MUST PLAY IMMEDIATELY" because my favorite shooters are the ones that live in a more consistent middle ground intensity that know when to turn the volume up, but don't necessarily fluctuate from 0 to 10 every time. I have a strange relationship with arena-based shooter campaigns where I really have to be in the mood to play them or else I won't really appreciate it.
Oh god, Net_Wrecker, you'd love this shit, though

However it sounds on paper, give it a shot

We also need to get our buddy Xtortionist in on this

JayEH

Just beat the single player campaign and have to say... amazing. Love the speed, fluid combat, and it was good ole FPS fun.

I don't like MP FPS so... this will be the platinum that got away since those are the only trophies left to get.

Bravo to Id. Now redo Hexen! The nostalgia will be complete.

There's only two MP trophies AFAIK and both very easy. Just reach level 5 and win a match.

Oh god, Net_Wrecker, you'd love this shit, though

However it sounds on paper, give it a shot

We also need to get our buddy Xtortionist in on this

I'll get there, trust me, and I'll post in this thread or somebody's LTTP when that time comes, but I really have to be in the right mood. As much as I love the shooty shooty bang bang, Wolfenstein: TNO is the style of shooter that has my axe. I don't really have any deep connection with Doom.

Crayon

I agree with the enclosed arenas. I suppose it's to keep you from kiting enemies back into previous areas? There are times between major fights where some imps are hanging around or a backtrack where there is a little re population, and those leave me wanting more.

It's a slight bother in that I feel it's a spot where they missed the mark on bringing it truly back to the doom of old. Similar to the way the item dropping works and somewhat takes away from the importance of pickups around the level.

These are my only two complaints so far but they only really bother me if I'm comparing it to classic doom. Taking the game on it's own, these are not major problems. It's tons of fun.

Getting near the end. Very fun game, but really really really repetitive. Really could have had some sort of scenes to break up the gameplay cycle.

Kinda surprised people are losing their shit over this game. Its pretty good, but its only a few steps forward from Painkiller largely due to the movement options.

I feel like the game could really be incredible if they mixed in the pretty interesting codec stuff into the actual gameplay....like having one of the Doom Slayer histories play while you are fighting.

Dunno just felt like the game having the pedal to the metal the entire time can make some scenes feel less amazing than they are. Same issue I had with Vanquish.

Wow. You've completely missed the point of this game (just like many of your opinions). Congratulations.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Just beat it. Great final boss. Great ending. Great game. Nothing else really needs to be said. I am going to go play Quake 1 now.

forrest

formerly nacire
Finally beat the game (Nightmare). What a fucking ride. Kudos to the Doom team for bringing us this gem!

Gonna go back and pick up the last few secrets/challenges I missed and max out the last couple of weapons.

Don't know what you folks are talking about

Game sounds AMAZING on my modest 5.1 setup

BigDug13

But it's just... insanity. I run out of ammo quickly, every enemy is a damage sponge. It's like they put zero thought into these. It could have been much better with some nostalgic UI and at least the ability to bring past weapons into the later levels. Grr.

Adjust the difficulty accordingly. These classic maps are being filled with dudes that one, don't drop ammo (like they did in Doom 1 and 2), and two, are designed to be taken out by heavier weaponry in more open environments.

Turn it down to Hurt Me Plenty for classic maps. Doesn't help those trying it on Nightmare though.

Izuna

Banned
Adjust the difficulty accordingly. These classic maps are being filled with dudes that one, don't drop ammo, and two, are designed to be taken out by heavier weaponry in more open environments.

Turn it down to Hurt Me Plenty for classic maps. Doesn't help those trying it on Nightmare though.

Yeah I'm on Nightmare. It turns into a survival horror, like how Doom was originally played lol.

I hope the worst is over though. Pinkies are the problem.

Crayon

Wow. You've completely missed the point of this game (just like many of your opinions). Congratulations.

There, there. Snoozers not trying to take your game away.

Just beat it. Great final boss. Great ending. Great game. Nothing else really needs to be said. I am going to go play Quake 1 now.

I actually played Quake 1 thru like twice before I picked up doom last nite because when I say all the friends list getting on it, I figured they were suckers who fell for the marketing on some mediocre cash it so I linked quake 1 into my steam library and got busy on that shit to make a statement. Then two days later gaf let me know how wrong I was. Doom is very good.

But. I'm not so sure if it's better than quake. :|

Make sure to get the original soundtrack working if you haven't already. I had never actually heard it until last week. It's a subtle ambient thing but really helps the atmosphere.

KahooTs

Where possible (which was most times) I kited pinkies back to a room with a pillar or hole in the ground on the classic maps.

BigDug13

Yeah I'm on Nightmare. It turns into a survival horror, like how Doom was originally played lol.

I hope the worst is over though. Pinkies are the problem.

It's nothing like how Doom was played. Shotgun zombies dropped shotguns all over the place. You didn't have an ammo or adequate weapon problem like these classic maps have with the new non-ammo and non-gun dropping enemies.

Crayon

I'm still not sure how I feel about the chainsaw fuel -> ammo mechanic. Same with the glory kill -> health mechanic. It's clever but... perhaps shallow? Compared to the amount of health and ammo in the map being strictly designed into the map. I don't know.

Mr Swine

Banned
I'm still not sure how I feel about the chainsaw fuel -> ammo mechanic. Same with the glory kill -> health mechanic. It's clever but... perhaps shallow? Compared to the amount of health and ammo in the map being strictly designed into the map. I don't know.

Glory kills is a risk and reward kind of deal.

I'm low on health and I'm against multiple enemies. Do I:

A: stun a enemy and regain some health and risk dying because a enemy is shooting a fireball at me and being overrun

Or

B: scouring around for health packs and try kill of the enemy and risk being killed since I'm being overrun

BigDug13

A: stun a enemy and regain some health and risk dying because a enemy is shooting a fireball at me and being overrun

Or

B: scouring around for health packs and try kill of the enemy and risk being killed since I'm being overrun

Enemies seem to drop health on regular kills when you're super low on health so sometimes you don't even need to take the risk.

leng jai

Is there a logic to how much health drops randomly or from Glory kills or is it purely RNG? Seems like there is a fair bit of luck involved in some of the bigger fights.

Mr Swine

Banned
Enemies seem to drop health on regular kills when you're super low on health so sometimes you don't even need to take the risk.

Well that entirely depends on who and how many you are against :p sometimes you can't simply run up and grab some health if you have a mancubus and a few hell knights and imps after you :p

Crayon

Or

That's how it works on paper, but the decision is more like this...

Enemy get's stunned more by accident than decision---> glory kill because A: I'm already facing that direction, I move hell fast, and I have to be moving anyhow B: I'll conserve ammo C: It's actually way easier to scoop a glory kill than to line up a last shot on an enemy that is no longer threatening, but will be if I let him recover D: Guaranteed health vs maybe health or maaaaybe ammo E: The invincibility period during the glory kill animation.

I feel like the glory kill is the only way to fly, and when I choose not to do so, the only motivator is that I just felt like mixing it up.

And then the chainsaw is just four chances to restock ammo, or four chances to bus shield guys.

54-46!

I don't like how you can cancel the cooldowns on weapons by switching to another, the game seems built around having you use every weapon on every single enemy as opposed to having to weigh your options when deciding what gun to use.

I actually kinda like the multiplayer after giving it more of a chance. Warpath is pretty fun and I like making my Doom guy look as garish as possible.

Sciz

Health and ammo on kill means that you're always encouraged to keep fighting in a pinch rather than running away, and it lets the designers keep enemy damage high and ammo caps low to produce those tense moments more often. It makes sense for the game's heavy arena focus.

Carefully rationed medkits and ammo packs make more sense in the classic DOOM level paradigm, where the player is engaged in a long term war of attrition against the level as a whole and resource management is key.

m4st4

That moment when last imp kills you on ULTRA NIGHTMARE UAC. Six tries for a day is enough, I'll try it again after I get some other achievements but damn it, imp.

I don't understand how can anyone sane finish the whole game on UN though?

Even Nightmare feels too difficult IMO. Ultra violence is the perfect ratio of difficulty to fun but I honestly found even the first map a total chore on nightmare. Just frustrating and not fun. Ultra nightmare can do one

Crayon

Health and ammo on kill means that you're always encouraged to keep fighting in a pinch rather than running away, and it lets the designers keep enemy damage high and ammo caps low to produce those tense moments more often. It makes sense for the game's heavy arena focus.

Carefully rationed medkits and ammo packs make more sense in the classic DOOM level paradigm, where the player is engaged in a long term war of attrition against the level as a whole and resource management is key.

I agree with all of this. I just haven't played enough new doom to see if I really like this mechanic in the end.

I like the fight or flight decision in old doom. Here it feels more like fight and flight.

m4st4

Even Nightmare feels too difficult IMO. Ultra violence is the perfect ratio of difficulty to fun but I honestly found even the first map a total chore on nightmare. Just frustrating and not fun. Ultra nightmare can do one

One positive thing about Ultra Nightmare UAC is that I'm getting really good on lower difficulties after playing that one. Pushing forward instead of playing defensive more often and generally better reflexes. So, thanks OP possesed scientists, imps and soldiers... I guess.

Also, is Doom Dark Souls of FPS games on Nightmare?

T.O.P

Banned
I wanted to play Overwatch today after work but all i can think about is starting a new game on Ultra Nightmare :)

Yup, UV felt amazingly well balanced in difficulty for a first run

Xenophage

Neo Member
I actually kinda like the multiplayer after giving it more of a chance. Warpath is pretty fun and I like making my Doom guy look as garish as possible.

I can't seem to find anything but TDM. PC here.

Also do the latter levels get any better? In hell again to find the relic, and it seems a bit boring, compared to the earlier UAC levels.

54-46!

I think the reason the first levels are frustrating is because all of the lower tier enemies can kill you in one or two hits and the arenas are rather small, once you get your first HP upgrade and face higher tier enemies that have longer windup on their attacks Nightmare feels more manageable.

Moff

the problem is that if you hunt for all the secrets and upgrades, the endgame gets very easy.
even nightmare was easy, I bet the second and third boss on the first try.

but I agree the beginning in nightmare is super tough, up until you get some health upgrades

the problem is that if you hunt for all the secrets and upgrades, the endgame gets very easy.
even nightmare was easy, I bet the second and third boss on the first try.

but I agree the beginning in nightmare is super tough, up until you get some health upgrades

I kept trying to double jump too...a NG+ mode wouldve been better for higher difficutly!!

m4st4

How are you guys playing it for all the collectibles and secrets, just choose a mission within a previous save file? The only way to have all the upgrades.

ieatzombies

nightmare mode, however, the enemies projectiles practically home in on you like a godamn missle. I get it should be hard, but the spawn points are completely unfair. They spawn behind you, jump on walls so you can't chaimsaw them and their flame balls home in on you like you have a tracking device on you. This needs to be toned down. It feels cheap.

Level 2- during the opening of the gord sacks. The playable area in which to maneuver is way to crowded and small. It's as if you the developers want the player to give up. I just barely beat it in the course of 5 ridiculous hours. Just that one battle. There has to be a way to implement these battle grounds better. But, so it is still challenging without being a cheap asshole. I almost threw my controller out of the window based on how unfair these battles were. However, I love a challenge. The majority of the public won't stick with it if there can't be a happy middle ground for the quick fps. It would be nice not to dance around 1 billion homing fireballs from the same enemies every fucking horde like conclusion. I love the game but fuck! Can we get a different scenario please.

msv

I don't like that you can't scroll quickly through the weapons. If you do 1, 2, 3, or whoever many scrolls down or up, you'll only get the adjacent weapon, and have to wait for the animation to finish to get to the next. Makes scrolling for weapons infeasible and you have to use keys directly, not my preferred way.

Top Bottom