• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

pa22word

Also, is Doom Dark Souls of FPS games on Nightmare?

*gags*

Doom is the fucking DOOM of FPS games.

Also Nightmare is where you can clearly see the faults of the game's leveling system really show up. The first few hours of nightmare just suck, but the leveling system creates an inverse difficulty curve so absurd that the 2nd/3rd levels of the game are way harder than the last one is. I hope in Doom 5 they just scrap it all together.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I don't like that you can't scroll quickly through the weapons. If you do 1, 2, 3, or whoever many scrolls down or up, you'll only get the adjacent weapon, and have to wait for the animation to finish to get to the next. Makes scrolling for weapons infeasible and you have to use keys directly, not my preferred way.

So the weapon wheel is too slow? There's also an upgrade that makes weapon switching faster (actually, instantaneous). I had to upgrade something and picked that, and it's more useful than I thought.

Izuna

Banned
Even Nightmare feels too difficult IMO. Ultra violence is the perfect ratio of difficulty to fun but I honestly found even the first map a total chore on nightmare. Just frustrating and not fun. Ultra nightmare can do one

I don't see how people die on UV to be honest. After a little while you just end up getting way more health than you lose. Eventually Nightmare gets easier and easier as you can naturally survive 3-4 hits from anything that doesn't one-shot you, but by then you have lots of movement options.

I think the game is balanced with the idea of you never getting hit in mind, which is very different to how the original doom was (where you tried to get pickups to offset the damage you took).

pa22word

So the weapon wheel is too slow? There's also an upgrade that makes weapon switching faster (actually, instantaneous). I had to upgrade something and picked that, and it's more useful than I thought.

Pretty sure it's agility level 3 or 4. On both my runs (UV and NM) I took enviro damage resistance then stockpiled to fast level agility asap.

msv

This is on PC, so no weapon wheel. I saw that too, but there's still a pause. More than 1 line scrolled doesn't register as more than one weapon away from your current one. So the weapon switching to the adjacent weapon is instantaneous, but not to ones further away when scrolling.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
So the game has been crashing to desktop for me roughly once per day. Is anyone else getting this?

Moff

nightmare mode, however, the enemies projectiles practically home in on you like a godamn missle. I get it should be hard, but the spawn points are completely unfair. They spawn behind you, jump on walls so you can't chaimsaw them and their flame balls home in on you like you have a tracking device on you. This needs to be toned down. It feels cheap.

Level 2- during the opening of the gord sacks. The playable area in which to maneuver is way to crowded and small. It's as if you the developers want the player to give up. I just barely beat it in the course of 5 ridiculous hours. Just that one battle. There has to be a way to implement these battle grounds better. But, so it is still challenging without being a cheap asshole. I almost threw my controller out of the window based on how unfair these battles were. However, I love a challenge. The majority of the public won't stick with it if there can't be a happy middle ground for the quick fps. It would be nice not to dance around 1 billion homing fireballs from the same enemies every fucking horde like conclusion. I love the game but fuck! Can we get a different scenario please.

git gud, the game was too easy

nightmare mode is hardly for "the majority of the public"

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
This is on PC, so no weapon wheel. I saw that too, but there's still a pause. More than 1 line scrolled doesn't register as more than one weapon away from your current one.

There is a weapon wheel on pc as well. I remapped it to an extra mouse button.

ieatzombies

git gud, the game was too easy

nightmare mode is hardly for "the majority of the public"
I will friend. I understand that mode isn't for the majority. I just wish it was more balanced with different encounters instead of " insert demon with homing fireballs here." I'm making my way through it. It just seems kind of ridiculous at times man. It's pretty much one hit or shot and you're dead. Even from the grunts. For real?

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
This is on PC, so no weapon wheel. I saw that too, but there's still a pause. More than 1 line scrolled doesn't register as more than one weapon away from your current one. So the weapon switching to the adjacent weapon is instantaneous, but not to ones further away when scrolling.

There is a weapon wheel. Hold down quickswitch (Q by default) to select it.

I will friend. I understand that mode isn't for the majority. I just wish it was more balanced with different encounters instead of " insert demon with homing fireballs here." I'm making my way through it. It just seems kind of ridiculous at times man.
It is, but as you get better, you look back at those older fights that gave you trouble and corvuslaugh them off because you're so much better now.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Really wish there was an option on console to make the switch weapon button go through them all instead of the last two.

ieatzombies

There is a weapon wheel. Hold down quickswitch (Q by default) to select it.

It is, but as you get better, you look back at those older fights that gave you trouble and corvuslaugh them off because you're so much better now.
I do feel my old Quake reflexes coming back. I just hate that fucking hide on a wall homing fireball demon! That's the only thing that feels cheap as hell....get it.

Izuna

Banned
Really wish there was an option on console to make the switch weapon button go through them all instead of the last two.

I can't remember what I use the d-pad for (if ever) but a couple more hotkeys would be nice. But this game lets you ball out with the same two most powerful weapons since there is plenty of ammo about.

pa22word

Actually what happens is you level your way out of it.

If the UN mode cheevo was set to let you arbitrarily choose a level to snag it in instead of forcing you to do the first I would imagine most people would easily net it if they picked Argent D'nur over The UAC.

Having access to the BFG and the Chainsaw alone makes most encounters a joke, no matter how big the mob actually is. Then you add in stuff like upgraded super shotty, upgraded rail gun, runes, etc. and yeah...not to mention like every big fight later has a power up drop in it that once you upgrade power enough will let you drill through 90% of a mob like they're swiss cheese.

I really don't think anyone can make the case that "you just get better" is acceptable as a complete answer. For those of you that really think this is true please do something for me: try out the classic doom levels on UN and Nightmare after beating those difficulties.

highrider

Banned
I'm playing on ps4, hurt me plenty seems perfect for me in terms of difficulty, but I'm not used to the speed as much as others. I started gaming later in life so I missed all of the original games. It's fantastically fun, and I'm getting better so maybe I'll take on a harder difficulty eventually. I get worn out after an hour playing this lol.

ieatzombies

Actually what happens is you level your way out of it.

If the UN mode cheevo was set to let you arbitrarily choose a level to snag it in instead of forcing you to do the first I would imagine most people would easily net it if they picked Argent D'nur over The UAC.

Having access to the BFG and the Chainsaw alone makes most encounters a joke, no matter how big the mob actually is. Then you add in stuff like upgraded super shotty, upgraded rail gun, runes, etc. and yeah...

I really don't think anyone can make the case that "you just get better" is an acceptable answer. For those of you that really think this is true please do something for me: try out the classic doom levels on UN and Nightmare after beating those difficulties.
I hear you man. I've been snagging the collectibles and Argent pick ups just now. I'm getting my old skills back and the upgrades are a thing of beauty. However, The point I'm making is how much of a shit show is those homing fireball demons are. They fuck the whole flow up. I'm on the 3rd level now and I need more level ups to even have a dying chance with these assholes. I am on nightmare. I know. But, I love a great challenge without some things that are questionable in the cheap arena. I'll take an oncoming hit. A shit load of them if I fuck up. But, the homing fireball. That's kind of bullshit. Most battles I get ganked while pulling off a finisher. I get ganked even strafing and pummeling these fuckers because everything seems to let the enemy have an homing bullet on you. It just seems atrocious. I still think this game is beautiful and I love it! I guess I just like pain.
If there was a quick 180 turn button, I'd shut my trap.
It would even the playing field for players wanting more of a challenge.

I can't seem to find anything but TDM. PC here.

Also do the latter levels get any better? In hell again to find the relic, and it seems a bit boring, compared to the earlier UAC levels.
I'm on PS4 and can get into Warpath and Domination matches pretty quick. Although Overwatch is out now so maybe a lot of people have moved on.

A weapon wheel like on consoles? Okay, but being able to scroll multiple weapons at a time would be much better than that.

Of course you can do that. Use the scroll wheel and set that up if it is not default.

I just remap my most commonly used weapons in a circle around my wasd input (f capslock, etc)

id, you bastards. That last little trap at the end of Chapter 8 when you hit the elevator button... Not putting a checkpoint there... That is just cruel.

It only got me once but honestly I'm not a big fan of that type of trollish game design. There should have either been a checkpoint after that massive firefight or the last two enemies should have been a final wave.

Super fun fight otherwise, though. This game just keeps on giving.

Even Nightmare feels too difficult IMO. Ultra violence is the perfect ratio of difficulty to fun but I honestly found even the first map a total chore on nightmare. Just frustrating and not fun. Ultra nightmare can do one

Ultra violence is still a little bit too easy. Would be nice to have a difficulty in between that and nightmare.

Perhaps I am a bit confused by what you mean by "scroll multiple weapons at the same time". Simulatenous what now?

I think they mean you can't just scroll the wheel quickly, it has to go from one weapon to the next. I found that jarring as well.

NIGHT-

Hate the way the chainsaw is used as an instant kill and isn't even usable on bigger enemies. Wish it worked closer to how it was used with the classic games

Still not feeling the multiplayer.

Chainsaw keeps feeling overpowered and the demon power-up still sucks.

However, I am enjoying it from time to time. Singleplayer is where it's at tho. I hope they will add more game modes and regular deathmatch without demon powerup.

msv

I think they mean you can't just scroll the wheel quickly, it has to go from one weapon to the next. I found that jarring as well.
Yeah, as I explained in the first post. You need to wait a small amount to switch more than one weapon away with the scroll.

The last thing I'm thinking during battles is "Gee, I wish there was narration going on right now, I really could use more story getting in the way."

From start to finish, each battle has me squealing "FUCK YEAH, VIDEOGAMESSS!"

Exactly. What's great about this game is that it isn't constantly interrupting you with cut scenes to tell some bullshit story. Some more low key encounters would have been nice between arenas however.

Bydobob

I just completed the game and actually found myself giving it a round of applause at the end. Can't remember the last time I did that!

Just wonderfully satisfying carnage from beginning to end. Those tense battles never felt repetitive even though they should have. There was also a great undercurrent of humour with Samuel Hayden mocking the player for mindlessly enjoying killing stuff.

I was looking forward to moving on to Overwatch but I'm half tempted to play the campaign all over again on Nightmare...

Arkanius

I just completed the game and actually found myself giving it a round of applause at the end. Can't remember the last time I did that!

Just wonderfully satisfying carnage from beginning to end. Those tense battles never felt repetitive even though they should have. There was also a great undercurrent of humour with Samuel Hayden mocking the player for mindlessly enjoying killing stuff.

I was looking forward to moving on to Overwatch but I'm half tempted to play the campaign all over again on Nightmare...

Waiting for the Vulkan Renderer to do my Nightmare run :)

I don't think the Vulcan render will give that much of a boost for Doom. But I do hope it makes the game run smoother for lower end systems with GTX 750TI equivalent GPU's

I think a lot of people targetting 120hz are pretty CPU limited in doom in a lot of instances. Vulkan will help there definitely.

Mr Swine

Banned
I think a lot of people targetting 120hz are pretty CPU limited in doom in a lot of instances. Vulkan will help there definitely.

Yeah I guess so, if I can at least run the game smoothly on my laptop with the I7-4720HQ and the GTX 960M on high with Vulkan I would be really happy :)

h0tp0ck3t

Major props for anyone who beat Ultra Nightmare. I tried to see how far I could get after beating UAC and getting the trophy. (Spoiler alert: not very)

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Finished the game last night. These are my impressions:

Pros:
  • The game spares you no time and immediately throws you into the action.
  • No steep learning curve, allowing for easy player accessibility.
  • The visuals are a treat for the eyes.
  • Weapon sounds are great, particularly the gauss cannon.
  • A lot of verticality during fights.
  • The optionality of utilizing power-ups and runes, especially the latter as they are extremely unique in altering gameplay experience.
  • Enemy design is unique, disturbing and beautiful.
  • Game is simply very fun to play.
Cons:
  • Music is poor and unmemorable outside of the heightened tune that kicks in during gun fights and particularly at the end when you're ascending on the elevator after destroying
    the coolants in Vega Central Processing.
  • Overdone vertical segments and areas, which I listed as a pro, is also a con. Some were also very symmetrical in their design.
  • Can't believe I'll say this, but not enough horizontal maps.
  • No grand scale maps (i.e., Doom's E2M8: Tower of Babel, E2M4: Deimos Lab, & Doom 2's Downtown, Suburbs, etc.).
  • NO SURPRISE ATTACKS! This one really irks me because it's the sudden opening of corridors after activating a switch, the immediate onslaught of enemies behind a door and the general surprises that the old games have that this one completely lacks.
  • Hell was not interesting beyond the first level. Mars succeeded in being spookier and grimmer than Hell.
  • The major bosses were poorly constructed and generally uninteresting to fight.
  • First half of the game felt more unique and was magnitudes better than the last half; by the second half the game began to feel formulaic and sometimes contrived.
  • The constant communication with the AI does not make me feel vulnerable or alone, which is quite the opposite of how I felt in the older games. At least the protagonist is silent. *sigh*
  • Lack of cautiousness when moving forward. I understand that you are supposed to feel like an empowered badass, but at no point did I feel hesitant when arriving at a new destination or recognizing that an event was about to occur, because the game had already informed me for hours prior that there are very few to no surprise attacks waiting in the dark that I should be worried about.

My biggest issue with the game has to be map verticality. I think maps focused on vertical ascension far too much, thereby breaking any tension during fights. The ability to see hordes of enemies on a flat plane in the older games is what created feelings of anxiety; instead, verticality in this game broke that feeling because I could not clearly see how many enemies in total I was dealing with, sort of like the proverb 'out of sight, out of mind'. The music cluing me in as to when all enemies were eliminated also didn't help with this aspect.

Overall, I'd give the game an 8.5/10. I think it's great but map design and music could use improvement.

mokeyjoe

I see a lot of people mentioning Painkiller. If I enjoyed this, is Painkiller worth a go? It's only £6 on GOG, and it'll probably run on my laptop OK.

Cons:
  • Music is poor and unmemorable outside of the heightened tune that kicks in during gun fights and particularly at the end when you're ascending on the elevator after destroying
    the coolants in Vega Central Processing.

Yeah I feel the same way. After seeing the "Doom behind the music" youtube video I was skeptical after the composer ruined e1m1 but was still holding out that the guitar sections in the game would be awesome, but its all unmemorable. I was hoping for some kind of mix between Doom and Quake 2. My 2nd time through the game I'm gonna be blasting Doom's soundtrack, Quake 2, and a mixture of metallica, pantera and megadeth since it fits way better than what we got. So far its the only thing other than the MP I dont like.

Ixion

Exactly. What's great about this game is that it isn't constantly interrupting you with cut scenes to tell some bullshit story. Some more low key encounters would have been nice between arenas however.

I fully agree. I love how the story was told in this game. Even if you feel the game is too repetitive, the solution isn't to add more story. The solution is to make the levels more consistently tense and unpredictable, as others have said.

I think this game is nearly perfect besides that one considerable flaw, but here are some improvements I'd like to see in a sequel:

• Use less waves and spawned enemies, and instead have the enemies already present on the map (or hidden). It feels more organic and it also adds more strategy.
  • The arenas are fun, but try to only have one or two per level. Instead have most of the level involve tense exploration where anything can happen at any time.
  • Make sure each level is mostly open-ended and completely explorable until the very end. A few of the levels in the latter half were a bit too linear.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I feel the same way. After seeing the "Doom behind the music" youtube video I was skeptical after the composer ruined e1m1 but was still holding out that the guitar sections in the game would be awesome, but its all unmemorable. I was hoping for some kind of mix between Doom and Quake 2. My 2nd time through the game I'm gonna be blasting Doom's soundtrack, Quake 2, and a mixture of metallica, pantera and megadeth since it fits way better than what we got. So far its the only thing other than the MP I dont like.

Yup. Although I enjoyed the battle music somewhat, I cannot for the life of me remember what it sounds like. Not a single tune in this game has resonated with me or stuck in my mind. I CAN'T REMEMBER WHAT THEY SOUND LIKE!

Also, another thing I'm bummed about is that I have no urge to replay the game. I know there are plenty of reasons to replay it, but the game doesn't feel seamless enough for me to warrant a replay. I can't pin the reason down. I know it isn't the very few slow parts the require interaction with NPCs and so forth. Maybe it's because there are few maps that I actually found fun to traverse, unlike the game being fun to play in general? It's a weird dichotomy for me. On one hand I think it plays fantastically and is immeasurably fun, but on the other I don't have fun traversing the maps. God damn.

KorrZ

I think I'm pretty near the end of the game now
just fought the hell guard + dual hell guard "boss" fight
still loving the game but starting to wish I had played on Ultra Violence. At this point on the default difficulty with all the upgrades unlocked I'm just tearing through everything with ease. Mastery super shotgun is just straight cheese.

Think I'll have to do a second run on a higher difficulty.

Top Bottom