• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Egg0

Banned
Finished. Wow. Man that last boss was the toughest fight but still fun. This campaign is right up there with Wolfenstein: TNO for me.

The closing credits sequence is so hype, it makes you want to just run through the game again (I will once I've made a dent in my backlog.) It's pretty cool that they had a support team from Machinegames, the Battlecry team, and even Tango Gameworks. Makes it seem like a all hands on deck, but not too many.

I do hope that they do some sort of story expansion before a full blown sequel.

Wow... My game crashed and I lost my MP/SnapMap online save... It reverted back to level one... HOLY FUCKING SHIT! Is this not saved on their servers? I'm done with this shit, thank god it didn't kill my single player save...

More than once I've heard about things like this happening. Yesterday I backed up my saves just in case.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I somehow missed both rune doors in ch9, they were locked behind containment doors and kept thinking I'd have to backtrack once the threat cleared, but obviously I missed something. Ah well. Just beat the
cyberdemon
, seemed like a tough fight at first, but he has a pretty limited set of attacks. I did like how you had to keep your dodge/jump game up to win this.

btw, this is actually my first Doom game. I only played a few levels of the original, but now I kinda want to play through the entire thing at some point. Wishlisted both classics on Steam.

If it weren't for The Witness this would be a serious goty contender for me.

kodecraft

Finished. Wow. Man that last boss was the toughest fight but still fun. This campaign is right up there with Wolfenstein: TNO for me.

The closing credits sequence is so hype, it makes you want to just run through the game again (I will once I've made a dent in my backlog.) It's pretty cool that they had a support team from Machinegames, the Battlecry team, and even Tango Gameworks. Makes it seem like a all hands on deck, but not too many.

I do hope that they do some sort of story expansion before a full blown sequel.

The bolded makes sense on the game coming out so bad ass from a gameplay standpoint.

Shauni

For the Chaingun Mobile Turret add-on, what is actually required for the mastery? It reads like killing 4 demons in one continuous blast 5 separate times, but I've done this multiple times down and it doesn't seem to register it.

For the Chaingun Mobile Turret add-on, what is actually required for the mastery? It reads like killing 4 demons in one continuous blast 5 separate times, but I've done this multiple times down and it doesn't seem to register it.
Not entirely sure but I've registered it for killing 4+ demons while keeping the trigger pressed, with no letup. Still only at 3/5 for mastery but it'll be soon enough with how much I've been replaying missions.

Been slowly working through each mission now on my replays, seeking out secrets, maxing out weapons. The more I replay each mission the more I love playing it and the more I think I may need to bump the difficulty up.

Shauni

Not entirely sure but I've registered it for killing 4+ demons while keeping the trigger pressed, with no letup. Still only at 3/5 for mastery but it'll be soon enough with how much I've been replaying missions.

Hm, well, I know for a fact I have done that but I've yet to get any credit for that. Glitched maybe? Anyone else having issues with that one?

sn00zer

Wow. You've completely missed the point of this game (just like many of your opinions). Congratulations.
You should tell the devs that all of those pages of logs and character dialogue giving an interesting view of the universe missed the point as well. They will be very surprised when they hear they missed the point of their own game.

You should tell the devs that all of those pages of logs and character dialogue giving an interesting view of the universe missed the point as well. They will be very surprised when they hear they missed the point of their own game.
Not to defend that very dismissive post you're quoting, but the devs did very purposefully tuck story elements away to keep the action going. That stuff is there in optional form for those who want to seek it out, without getting in the way of players who want to move quickly to the next demon horde to gun down and dismember.

sn00zer

Not to defend that very dismissive post you're quoting, but the devs did very purposefully tuck story elements away to keep the action going. That stuff is there in optional form for those who want to seek it out, without getting in the way of players who want to move quickly to the next demon horde to gun down and dismember.

I dont think the game had to slow down to present this information. Would have loved to hear the DOOM SLAYER prophecies in the midst of combat. Or maybe some of the holograms displayed in the arena, or hell just some dialogue during fight....not every fight of course, but there are some minor arena that could have used something other than a door to unlock at the end.

Tb0ne07

Finally picked it up off amazon. Still $47.99 for prime. I ordered it at 11 am and it was at my house at 6 pm along with another item I ordered. Kind of crazy. Now to find the time to play it...

sn00zer

Also people like to mention Bulletstorm in this thread as a game like DOOM...that game had three protagonists and a very vocal villain. Hell, DOOM even has walking hallways to deliver story, when they could have just as well been delivered during combat.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I just bought this and I'm having a blast (on hard). I know this isn't Quake, but I REALLY wish it had strafe-jumping.

I dont think the game had to slow down to present this information. Would have loved to hear the DOOM SLAYER prophecies in the midst of combat. Or maybe some of the holograms displayed in the arena, or hell just some dialogue during fight....not every fight of course, but there are some minor arena that could have used something other than a door to unlock at the end.
Come to think of it that would all work for me too

Wow. You've completely missed the point of this game (just like many of your opinions). Congratulations.

"You have a different opinion than me therefore it is okay for me to belittle you."

Come on, dude. Get that condescending shit out of here. I'm actually on the side that thinks the game is fine the way it is but I'm not going to claim this kind of crap.
They may fully understand the point just fine, it may just happen that 'the point' is not scratching their itches the way it may scratch ours. People have different tastes. Not everyone actually finds the idea of a barebones story appealing.

I'm typically a huge fan of lore so I totally feel empathetic with their desire even if in this case I think the product is fine as is.

I think with the right music it could work..... for example...start the prophecy when you enter the room before spawning. Let the music build to "and they called him DOOM SLAYER" start spawning enemies while they tell the story of how you ripped them all to shreds.

Again wouldnt work for all fights, especially larger arenas, but there are plenty of smaller areas between show piece events.

I dont think it needs to be very complicated if they want to include more lore. I think in future sequels they could just throw in some more completely optional secret rooms. Completely skippable and not part of normal gameplay requirements or routes, just there for people who want to find them.

Inside could be simple things like the existing
plot-runes
in Doom 2016 (
don't know what else to call them, the green pillars that cause deep-voiced narration
). Maybe a couple murals/artifacts on the wall. No cutscenes, just something you can take or leave as you please.

I'd be in favor of more of that sort of thing. Wouldn't change gameplay but would add more calories for lore-lovers.

Just beat the game, probably one of he best FOS' I've played in a long time. Killing demons is satisfying af and the ending was perfect in terms of tone. Really hoping that there will be some sort of single player DLC in the future.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Like any other game, I'm not getting a platinum trophy because has those dumb chalenges like "do 50 headshots using scope"
Seriously, why?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I wouldn't have been able to focus on those things, especially the Slayer's Testaments, given the pace of combat in this game.

sn00zer

I wouldn't have been able to focus on those things, especially the Slayer's Testaments, given the pace of combat in this game.

I think with the right music it could work..... for example...start the prophecy when you enter the room before spawning. Let the music build to "and they called him DOOM SLAYER" start spawning enemies while they tell the story of how you ripped them all to shreds.

Again wouldnt work for all fights, especially larger arenas, but there are plenty of smaller areas between show piece events.

Sciz

The only way I'm okay with this is if you still have to interact with something to trigger the dialogue, so I can avoid that shit after the first run.

Raptor

That sounds corny to be honest.

Even Doomguy would roll his eyes back his skull at hearing that.

mokeyjoe

I'd agree with this, I've heard comments from the other perspective that even the small amount you of expository cutscenes that are in the game are too much. You can't please everyone, all of the time. The balance is about right for me.

I also think that the conversation comparing it to the original Doom are unfair. Comments about OG Doom being a perfectly designed game, must be somewhat nostalgic, as it's not. I'm as big a fan as anyone, it may well be my favourite game ever, certainly my most played, even over the last couple of years alone, but it's not beyond criticism. There are some less than great levels in both games, especially some later ones in Doom 2, and most people who still spend a lot of time with the game would concur. Also the first game is incredibly easy by today's standards. Although I have played it through so many times now my view might be a little skewed.

Doom's longevity is primarily down to its extensibility, and the fact the core mechanics are just downright, simple, fun. If all we had was 1993 vanilla Doom it wouldn't still be being played the way it is. There are only so many times you can fly through those 3 episodes before it becomes utterly rote. Four years after Doom 2 we had Half Life and the Doom series was already a relic. The ongoing playability of Doom is down to its success as a 'platform' of sorts, supporting source ports and megawads, and it's simplicity plays into that. It's several orders of magnitude easier to make a decent Doom map than it is to put together a half respectable full 3d level.

I guess id knew this when they devised snapmap, I hope it gets the support it deserves from them. It really needs to support the single player mechanics for a start.

sn00zer

That sounds corny to be honest.

Even Doomguy would roll his eyes back his skull at hearing that.

Except they do something very similar with the DOOM logo introduction?

"You have a different opinion than me therefore it is okay for me to belittle you."

Come on, dude. Get that condescending shit out of here. I'm actually on the side that thinks the game is fine the way it is but I'm not going to claim this kind of crap.
They may fully understand the point just fine, it may just happen that 'the point' is not scratching their itches the way it may scratch ours. People have different tastes. Not everyone actually finds the idea of a barebones story appealing.

I'm typically a huge fan of lore so I totally feel empathetic with their desire even if in this case I think the product is fine as is.

Not to dog pile, I think he's gotten enough of a lashing, but I used to play the shit out of these kinds games. Played all the Serious Sam's and HD rereleases, beaten Painkiller around 5 or 6 times (one of my favorite games ever), beaten Bulletstorm, played through all of the original DOOM, played through Wolfenstein TNO, Shadow Warrior I very much get these games and I very much realize that the poor presentation of the story can sometimes be a detriment to the games ie. Painkiller. And can really enhance the games if done correctly (Bulletstorm, Wolfenstein)

LiK

Beat the game this morning. Sublime. Really fun and well paced through out. I never felt frustrated on the Normal difficulty even when I was running low on life or ammo. So well done.

Not a big fan of the ending tho. Was expecting it to be more grand. I want a Story expansion. Don't care about the MP.

HoJu

I see what you're saying, but if there's other stuff going on then you won't be focused on actually shooting and not dying.

sn00zer

I wasnt aware of that or maybe I didnt paid attention, cant say I hear it or saw it.

Its not a great example but they pump the DOOM music and logo after an pretty intense battle, and then they never do anything like that (timing special sequences to music cues) ever again.

Shauni

I wasnt aware of that or maybe I didnt paid attention, cant say I hear it or saw it.

I'm pretty sure he's talking about the whole Rip and Tear, Until it's Done part of the opening, but it doesn't jive with what he's saying, though, since I'm pretty sure that's before the game even begins.

EDIT: Or maybe I'm wrong? I don't remember any intense battle, though, I thought that was at the very beginning.

HoJu

Its not a great example but they pump the DOOM music and logo after an pretty intense battle, and then they never do anything like that (timing special sequences to music cues) ever again.

every time you squeeze the demon hearts or whatever the music starts pumping

Except they do something very similar with the DOOM logo introduction?

Not to dog pile, I think he's gotten enough of a lashing, but I used to play the shit out of these kinds games. Played all the Serious Sam's and HD rereleases, beaten Painkiller around 5 or 6 times (one of my favorite games ever), beaten Bulletstorm, played through all of the original DOOM, played through Wolfenstein TNO, Shadow Warrior I very much get these games and I very much realize that the poor presentation of the story can sometimes be a detriment to the games ie. Painkiller. And can really enhance the games if done correctly (Bulletstorm, Wolfenstein)

If the game was the way you wanted it, it would have been worse off for it.

They nailed the tone. It's just enough and doesn't need to be like other games to be better. Doomguy pretty much says "fuck you" to the story. It's there, but it isn't beating you over the head with it. It isn't forcing your control away. The story is pretty awesome in a crazy way, but it's subtle. At the same time it's such a glorious power-fantasy.

You don't see that too often. The game doesn't have some agenda, or is trying to prove some point. It's a ridiculously efficient piece of work, with all of its systems converging to the center. This is good game design.

So please, "dog pile" all you like. I got the game I wanted (that I didn't know I wanted), apparently you didn't because you have some expectations in place. Too bad those expectations would have been a disservice to the game.

Izuna

Banned
Story? Every scene that stops me for even a second or a character speaks, I get impatient and divert attention away from the screen.

I could handle cut scenes like TNO had, but there is no necessity in them.

Neiteio

Bought the DOOM Complete Collection (or maybe it's called Classic Collection? I forget) on PS3 today. Interesting playing them with a controller. Haven't revisited these games since childhood, although I've read/watched so many appreciation pieces since.

One thing that kind of irritates me is how easily I get lost in many of the maps. Like the warehouse with all the boxes, I circled it endlessly trying to find the keycard doors. More memorable landmarks would've helped me keep track of everything, but all in all it's extremely impressive what they managed back then, and the game still plays wonderfully, with abundant style to match.

Ultra Violence in the originals is hard as fuck when you're rusty. I had to bump it down at Mission 4 because I was stuck with pistol ammo trying to survive the mob of Pinkies and Shotgun Guys at the start. I could get past them, but it was a chore.

I smiled and said hello to Cacodemon when he appeared. I love Cacodemon.

I'm on a DOOM high, y'all!

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Bought the DOOM Complete Collection (or maybe it's called Classic Collection? I forget) on PS3 today. Interesting playing them with a controller. Haven't revisited these games since childhood, although I've read/watched so many appreciation pieces since.

One thing that kind of irritates me is how easily I get lost in many of the maps. Like the warehouse with all the boxes, I circled it endlessly trying to find the keycard doors. More memorable landmarks would've helped me keep track of everything, but all in all it's extremely impressive what they managed back then, and the game still plays wonderfully, with abundant style to match.

Ultra Violence in the originals is hard as fuck when you're rusty. I had to bump it down at Mission 4 because I was stuck with pistol ammo trying to survive the mob of Pinkies and Shotgun Guys at the start. I could get past them, but it was a chore.

I smiled and said hello to Cacodemon when he appeared. I love Cacodemon.

I'm on a DOOM high, y'all!

I just beat Doom 2 on Ultra Violence for the first time. It such a huge jump in difficulty compared to the first game. They give you a few baby levels at first but by the time you get to Earth its pretty much a direct continuation of the difficulty curve following Doom 1. They expect you to already be that good lol its great. I think at least half the levels in Doom 2 have over 100 enemies. They throw everything and the kitchen sink at you.

edit: Although I will stress the fourth added episode of Doom 1, Thy Flesh Consumed, is no cakewalk either. At least not on Ultra Violence.

jett

D-Member
This game.

This game is the best.

The best.

id has risen from the ashes of hell like a demonic phoenix hellbent on complete and utter destruction. This is peak id.

And is it me or is the gauss cannon mega-OP? I upgraded the sniper add-on as much as I could and now I'm killing everything in two headshots.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This game.

This game is the best.

The best.

id has risen from the ashes of hell like a demonic phoenix hellbent on complete and utter destruction. This is peak id.

And is it me or is the gauss cannon mega-OP? I upgraded the sniper add-on as much as I could and now I'm killing everything in two headshots.

Pretty much every gun can be super OP once you master the right mods. I love it.

sn00zer

If the game was the way you wanted it, it would have been worse off for it.

They nailed the tone. It's just enough and doesn't need to be like other games to be better. Doomguy pretty much says "fuck you" to the story. It's there, but it isn't beating you over the head with it. It isn't forcing your control away. The story is pretty awesome in a crazy way, but it's subtle. At the same time it's such a glorious power-fantasy.

You don't see that too often. The game doesn't have some agenda, or is trying to prove some point. It's a ridiculously efficient piece of work, with all of its systems converging to the center. This is good game design.

So please, "dog pile" all you like. I got the game I wanted (that I didn't know I wanted), apparently you didn't because you have some expectations in place. Too bad those expectations would have been a disservice to the game.

You are weirdly aggressive about a game I liked but had some aspects I didnt....

Shauni

Hate to quote myself and all, but anyone care to weigh in on this? I've seen a few people have got the plat/100%. Am I missing something in the wording, because I have mowed down hordes of demons with this thing and got nothing.

Ducayne

Hate to quote myself and all, but anyone care to weigh in on this? I've seen a few people have got the plat/100%. Am I missing something in the wording, because I have mowed down hordes of demons with this thing and got nothing.

You correctly have the mod setting (with the dual barrels) and holding the alt gun button and the fire button?

I just got the achievement today on Xbox. I just did it during easy areas where there were 5 possessed and lined them up

Shauni

You correctly have the mod setting (with the dual barrels) and holding the alt gun button and the fire button?

Oh, son of a bitch. Duh. I don't know what I was thinking, I guess I just assumed that since the barrels were already placed the kills would register from the regular fire.

stuck on the 2rd mission, think my game is glitched.

i have yellow and blue keys, and i've completely explored all areas that i can access, yet when i go to the terminal near the door covered in fire, it tells me access denied.

when i look up youtube walkthroughs, it shows the player putting a severed hand on the terminal instead. why won't my character put a severed hand on instead of trying his own? really frustrating...

Shauni

stuck on the 2rd mission, think my game is glitched.

i have yellow and blue keys, and i've completely explored all areas that i can access, yet when i go to the terminal near the door covered in fire, it tells me access denied.

when i look up youtube walkthroughs, it shows the player putting a severed hand on the terminal instead. why won't my character put a severed hand on instead of trying his own? really frustrating...

Have you actually found the hand yet?

Top Bottom