• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

DieH@rd

Banned
stuck on the 2rd mission, think my game is glitched.

i have yellow and blue keys, and i've completely explored all areas that i can access, yet when i go to the terminal near the door covered in fire, it tells me access denied.

when i look up youtube walkthroughs, it shows the player putting a severed hand on the terminal instead. why won't my character put a severed hand on instead of trying his own? really frustrating...

Find hand [in the area near that fiery door where you need to traverse the walls of wide chasm].

antitrop

I did it, I beat Doom on normal difficulty.
2qx2q0i.gif~c200

Have you actually found the hand yet?

Find hand [in the area near that fiery door where you need to traverse the walls of wide chasm].

ugh, i checked that guy TWICE and there was never an R3 prompt, so i assumed he was just decoration, and the ammo next to him was the reason for getting up to that ledge. checked a third time and it showed me the prompt (after reloading my checkpoint).

the hitbox for showing the prompt also seemed small, so that's likely why i missed. thanks guys!

Neiteio

I just replayed Mission 12 for fun. The train battle at the end was a lot easier this time.

Pro tip: You can waltz in with three BFG charges. There are another three in the arena. Use all six!

THIS GAME IS SO FUN

Edzi

Holy crap, I just realized how useful the map is. I haven't really been using it so far, so I never noticed that it showed you the location of secrets and areas you haven't been to yet. I have so much left to explore now.

EDIT: Kinda sucks that I have to keep opening the menu to see the map though.

Being able to turn 180 on reaction to hearing an enemy behind is important to me, but the trick to using high sensitivity is to understand that you will just get used to using the stick more calmly. I think Titanfall was the first time I ever tried high sensitivity, it helps and takes like 20 minutes to get used to.

--

Tier 3 bug: http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Cobalt Izuna/video/17800703

Yeah, just tried setting it to 100 and it's surprisingly playable this way, not having the trouble aiming I thought I might. I guess turning smoothing off really helps.

Also moved to the bumper jumper scheme. It's a real game changer, literally. :)
Yeah, I just finished a 2 hour session with horizontal 100 & vertical 98. I don't think I could ever go back. It has transformed the game. Thanks, izunadono!

Crayon

This game.

This game is the best.

The best.

id has risen from the ashes of hell like a demonic phoenix hellbent on complete and utter destruction. This is peak id.

And is it me or is the gauss cannon mega-OP? I upgraded the sniper add-on as much as I could and now I'm killing everything in two headshots.

jett I haven't seen you so happy in forever.

I had to take a break from my nightmare run and just went back through the argent tower on uv looking for the hidden items. Holy shit I love replaying these levels. This game is too fucking fun.

Neiteio

Replaying the missions for fun, Mission 6 (Kadingir Sanctum, the first Hell level) is definitely one of my faves. It's got it all: cool scenery, complex layout, smart backtracking, skull keys and switches, fun platforming, verticality, clever secrets, tons of battles (both waves and light skirmishes), DEMON SLAYER lore tablets, and memorable moments like the demon infighting (Baron introduction, Revenants vs. Mancubus, Imps vs. Unwilling). Good stuff, good stuff!

Risette

A Good Citizen
for those playing classic Doom: make sure to play the bonus episode for Doom 2 (No Rest for the Living/NERVE.WAD)

It was made for Doom 2 XBLA and it's really, really good. Unfortunately it doesn't come with the regular Doom 2 on Steam, you have to buy Doom 3 BFG to get it on PC. But the complete classic collection on PS3 has it.

Replaying the missions for fun, Mission 6 (Kadingir Sanctum, the first Hell level) is definitely one of my faves. It's got it all: cool scenery, complex layout, smart backtracking, skull keys, fun platforming, verticality, clever secrets, tons of battles (both waves and light skirmishes), DEMON SLAYER lore tablets, and memorable moments like the demon infighting (Baron introduction, Revenants vs. Mancubus, Imps vs. Possessed). Good stuff, good stuff!
Getting four barons dumped on me in kadingir's rectum was tense. I did love how you're introduced to the lesser demons trying to fuck him up. Such a great moment.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
How is the performance on Xbox One. After the GAF impression, I am seriously considering.

Gitaroo

anyone know if this is a bug? so I completed all the challenges in a level to unlock my upgrade points, then I quite before finishing the level since they can be quite long. When I load the level again all the challenges are grey out, and I have to redo all of them. Problem is some of the challenges require you to find 2 collectable, but if they were found already they will no never show up in the level again. So are the challenges going to remain incomplete forever?

Guys, I found the perfect soundtrack for replays.

Dethklok Dethalbum I-III.

Perfect.

You haven't lived until you've pushed demon's shit back in with a super shotgun and a rocket launcher to BLOODROCUTED.

Totally metal.

ieatzombies

Get better = improve your suit, get more runes, get new guns and mods, get more Argent power ups. And get better at the game because you understand it better as you progress in it. Some of the later fights make the earlier ones that gave you difficulty seem petty in comparison because the game keeps turning it up to 11.

That's basically what I was getting at.
Well than i'm fucked. I kid. I'm making my way through nightmare. Just got to completing rune challenges and battle rewards for weapons. It helps a hell of a lot. I just think people should know that you have to power the fuck through until you're at that point.
I still say. Fuck those homing missle fireball demons that clings to walls. That's bullshit.

Cudder

anyone know if this is a bug? so I completed all the challenges in a level to unlock my upgrade points, then I quite before finishing the level since they can be quite long. When I load the level again all the challenges are grey out, and I have to redo all of them. Problem is some of the challenges require you to find 2 collectable, but if they were found already they will no never show up in the level again. So are the challenges going to remain incomplete forever?
This happened to me. When you enter a mission sometimes some challenges will automatically un-register as completed. As long as the challenges in the mission select screen says it's completed, then it's completed and you can ignore what the in mission menu says.

God damn, I just got to the pinky introduction.

I was not expecting my introduction to be four at once.
I was not prepared. Took me a couple deaths before I got the hang of it.

Then not long after,
the 2 pinky 2 hell knight 1 baron & misc fight.
That one hurt.

Finally what you've all been waiting for.

T-Pain plays Doom

https://www.twitch.tv/tpain

"This shit like showing your dick to a feminist. It triggers you, man."
"You always think you're done eating raisin bran. Youre never done eating raisin bran...that shit don't work like that."

I had no idea I needed to watch tpain play doom.

Bought the DOOM Complete Collection (or maybe it's called Classic Collection? I forget) on PS3 today. Interesting playing them with a controller. Haven't revisited these games since childhood, although I've read/watched so many appreciation pieces since.

One thing that kind of irritates me is how easily I get lost in many of the maps. Like the warehouse with all the boxes, I circled it endlessly trying to find the keycard doors. More memorable landmarks would've helped me keep track of everything, but all in all it's extremely impressive what they managed back then, and the game still plays wonderfully, with abundant style to match.

Ultra Violence in the originals is hard as fuck when you're rusty. I had to bump it down at Mission 4 because I was stuck with pistol ammo trying to survive the mob of Pinkies and Shotgun Guys at the start. I could get past them, but it was a chore.

I smiled and said hello to Cacodemon when he appeared. I love Cacodemon.

I'm on a DOOM high, y'all!

How much was it? And it contains Final Doom unlike the XBLA collections right? Might buy tonight as I can't see them releasing it for PS4 anytime soon.

Those sounds were amazing. I might have to watch the playback of this later to make it my text message noise or something.

Yeah I came to the stream late I would've loved to have heard and seen that. T-pain is awesome.

The first time you use the BFG... oh man.

I also discovered the super shotgun early on in either level 3 or 4. Crazy.

Risette

A Good Citizen
How much was it? And it contains Final Doom unlike the XBLA collections right? Might buy tonight as I can't see them releasing it for PS4 anytime soon.
yes, the PSN version has Final Doom, Master Levels, and No Rest for the Living

it really lives up to the complete collection moniker imo

npa189

Just finished it, my god how did this happen? it was so damn good. I can't wait to see what id does next now, they have taken back their shooter crown with a super shotgun blast to the face!

Crayon

yes, the PSN version has Final Doom, Master Levels, and No Rest for the Living

it really lives up to the complete collection moniker imo

Well now I want that. :/

Of all the various versions of doom, one of my favorites to play till this day is the ps1 version. I'm not sure why. It's kind of rough in some ways.

Sciz

I'd just like to point out how extraordinary it is that the demons are able to traverse these very complex, multitiered environments effortlessly. Doesn't matter what the level geometry is like, they can jump around it without missing a beat. Even the purely groundbound ones don't suffer from any noticeable pathing quirks. Super impressive work there.

I'd just like to point out that, as a consequence of the demons being incredibly nimble now, they're able to traverse these very complex, multitiered environments effortlessly. Doesn't matter what the level geometry is like, they can navigate it smoothly. Even the purely groundbound ones don't suffer from any noticeable pathing quirks. Super impressive work there.

That must have been a fucking absolute nightmare to work out, I mean seriously.

Man this fucking game, I love it to death.

Neiteio

I'd just like to point out that, as a consequence of the demons being incredibly nimble now, they're able to traverse these very complex, multitiered environments effortlessly. Doesn't matter what the level geometry is like, they can navigate it without missing a beat. Even the purely groundbound ones don't suffer from any noticeable pathing quirks. Super impressive work there.
I was just thinking this earlier. It's incredible how naturally the demons navigate their surroundings. Especially the Imps, who also make use of the walls and feature like 12 different ways to throw fireballs. I was also marveling at the animation work on the Barons, how they move with such speed, power and precision despite their towering stature. Like you said, they never snag on anything, which is amazing given their massive physiques.

I'd just like to point out that, as a consequence of the demons being incredibly nimble now, they're able to traverse these very complex, multitiered environments effortlessly. Doesn't matter what the level geometry is like, they can navigate it without missing a beat. Even the purely groundbound ones don't suffer from any noticeable pathing quirks. Super impressive work there.

That moment when you're first playing and you think you've got one over on the Mancubus as you shoot at him from above, only to have the bastard rocket himself up and land atop you. Shit myself.

Neiteio

That moment when you're first playing and you think you've got one over on the Mancubus as you shoot at him from above, only to have the bastard rocket himself up and land atop you. Shit myself.
Haha, you're like the tenth person to mention this. It's pretty hilarious when it happens. There's nowhere Mancubus can't find you! :)

Veelk

Banned
I have a few questions about the game. Can someone tell me if mission select will in any way override my save?

I beat the second mission, then saved and quit, but in the mission select, I could only choose between the first and second mission. Shouldn't it have been 1, 2,and 3?

Also, how many missions total?

And what does collecting the marine action figures do exactly?

I have a few questions about the game. Can someone tell me if mission select will in any way override my save?

I beat the second mission, then saved and quit, but in the mission select, I could only choose between the first and second mission. Shouldn't it have been 1, 2,and 3?

Also, how many missions total?

And what does collecting the marine action figures do exactly?
You can pick up an item then quit the mission, the game would still register that. To play the newest mission, just click continue. The collectible figures unlock models that you can view.

pringles

I like the game but looks like I've run into a gamebreaking glitch. Mission objective is "proceed to foundry airlock" but I can't open the airlock. Tried quitting and restarting, same thing. So probably forced to restart the game. Not that far into it but still annoying. Anyone else run into this, any way to get it fixed?

Moff

I like the game but looks like I've run into a gamebreaking glitch. Mission objective is "proceed to foundry airlock" but I can't open the airlock. Tried quitting and restarting, same thing. So probably forced to restart the game. Not that far into it but still annoying. Anyone else run into this, any way to get it fixed?

you can restart only the current mission, if nothing else helps

So I'm getting that this is less a horror game than recent titles and more of a nostalgic re-imagining of the originals?

Doom II may actually be the first videogame I ever played, so I'll probably enjoy this one, but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't prefer a sequel in the vein of Doom 3.

So I'm getting that this is less a horror game than recent titles and more of a nostalgic re-imagining of the originals?

Doom II may actually be the first videogame I ever played, so I'll probably enjoy this one, but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't prefer a sequel in the vein of Doom 3.
Get Alien Isolation. Doom 3 isn't really "Doom".

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
I'm a little confused: Is the Doomguy you play as in this game the same as the one from the older games? The logs I listened to in the game gave me the impression that the old Doomguy was the one being referenced, who was ultimately placed into a sarcophagus, but this Wiki entry suggests that the Doomguy you play as was the one in the sarcophagus who Hayden rescued.

IIRC
there is a button to press near the doorway in the little room with the health pack thing on the wall. I missed that at first. I think you can follow the compass at the top of your screen to find it.

iddqd

Sorry if this has been asked before, but can you switch difficulty after starting the campaign?
I don't want to be bored/ get slaughtered and make no progress

Top Bottom