• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Izuna

Banned
I've got to jump back on this and see what this train business is all about. I really wish the (hard af) classic levels had more leader-boardy stuff going on. Maybe SnapMap is where its at but I want some sort of official playlist. I actually wonder if anyone will make an escape room in SnapMap, if that's even possible. The ones made in Halo 5 were dope.

ezekial45

Banned
I know it's been talked about lot, but I adore that they've not only managed to tell a surprisingly engaging story within the confines of such a sparse set-up (considering the roots of the series), but also managed to reference lines from that gloriously stupid and juvenile Doom comic from the 90s and make them sound earnest. Whoever wrote Doom 2016 deserves a medal. Great job, seriously.

"They are rage, brutal, without mercy. But you...you will be worse. Rip and tear, until it is done."

This is like Wolfenstein TNR levels of respect and foresight for bringing old-school shooters into the modern era. It's brilliant.

I know it's been talked about lot, but I adore that they've not only managed to tell a surprisingly engaging story within the confines of such a sparse set-up (considering the roots of the series), but also managed to reference lines from that gloriously stupid and juvenile Doom comic from the 90s and make them sound earnest. Whoever wrote Doom 2016 deserves a medal. Great job, seriously.

"They are rage, brutal, without mercy. But you...you will be worse. Rip and tear, until it is done."

This is like Wolfenstein TNR levels of respect and foresight for bringing old-school shooters into the modern era. It's brilliant.
The best part about that bit is that it's pretty much the only time in the game that the Doom comic is explicitly referenced, and doesn't resort to taking all the inane bullshit Doomguy said in that and shoving it in your face at regular intervals. Restraint is huge part of why it works so well.

...although if I'm being honest, I would probably have gotten a good chuckle if I saw a stone epitaph or something written by Doomguy talking about how we're destroying the environment and wondering what kind of world we'll be leaving behind for our children and children's children.

Sojgat

So why can't I play this game offline on XB1?

Edit: So apparently it's due to the 5GB update I just spent an hour downloading. Awesome.

Whide

Did anyone else notice the original doomguys face on the screen when
he destroys VEGA?
It's only noticeable for a brief time.

Moff

I'd love to get the 2 remaining achievements, they're easy
but it's no use with all these crashes and then I have to replay the whole level

I hope they'll patch it

Oh man and even on Ultra-Violent when you upgrade your railgun to that charged "sentry" mode or whatever you basically break the game over your knee. You can two shot any giant monster with it, and it goes through targers, AND it has a rather large AOE. It's ridiculous.

The gauss cannon and super shotgun carried me through the game. Siege mode is just too op and I love it!

Ending spoilers:

I wish we had the ability to
use that fucking sword
!!!!!!

That
sword looks so bad ass, I hope we get to use it after we pry it out of hayden's dead tin husk

Rattles

The one request I have for this game is a statistic on the end level results that says how long it took to complete that level. I'm surprised it wasn't included in the first place, quite frankly. I think this would encourage more repeat playthroughs and inspire speedrunners, as well as give incentive for players to kill quicker, keep up the momentum, and to RIP AND TEAR!

I would love to see a kind of leaderboard in level times, but it would probably be too much to attempt to integrate at this point. Just a simple "Time Taken: XX:XX" statistic along with your other level statistics would be nice.
Ah! Yes please the levels are a blast to run through, give me a time give me a ranking.

DirtyLarry

Just curious am I the only person that Re-Loads Checkpoints if I find a good area that meets the upgrade requirements for certain Runes and/or Weapons? I almost feel like I am cheating. Almost.
Was really nice of id to let the progress carry over.

For example there is the one for the Super Shotgun, kill 2 monsters at the same time. And there was just this area where you could clear it out and get a good 7 two kills at a time. I already had like 15 of the 30 needed and this area happened to be right after a checkpoint so I just loaded checkpoint 3 times until I upgraded the Super Shotgun.

I believe I am very close to beating the game itself. Hoping to do so tonight if possible.

Then they went ahead and didn't put the Berserk power-up in Snapmap :( Trying to recreate the Comic right now and it's so tough!

Just curious am I the only person that Re-Loads Checkpoints if I find a good area that meets the upgrade requirements for certain Runes and/or Weapons? I almost feel like I am cheating. Almost.

For example there is the one for the Super Shotgun, kill 2 monsters at the same time. And there was just this area where you could clear it out and get a good 7 two kills at a time. I already had like 15 of the 30 needed and this area happened to be right after a checkpoint so I just loaded checkpoint 3 times until I upgraded the Super Shotgun.

I believe I am very close to beating the game itself. Hoping to do so tonight if possible.

Mm no, I do that. Particularly for the Gauss Cannon/Rocket Launcher upgrades.

J 0 E

I made a mistake and finished the game on "Hurt Me Plenty"

If you play Doom and did't die so often... something is wrong.

eXistor

Question about the executions/glory kills. I really don't want to do those, and they put me off the game considerably. I find them embarrassing and cringeworthy and I wish they weren't a part of the game.

Is it practical to play this game without using them?

I felt this way before actually playing the game, but they're really not bad at all, they rarely take any time and they're an actual mechanic in the game that you're really going to want to use as Glory Kills drop health and ammo, things you're going to need a steady supply of.

What if this is Doomguy talking to Doom Slayer?

BRAVO ID SOFTWARE!

dlauv

I had to do it on the barrel one in
Hell 2
. That one is brutal.

I like how they've taken such a dumb plot and given it so much lore and intrigue that you can't help but be interested. Hayden has great voice direction in the beginning too. I wish he stayed as awesome.

w0s

I saw there was a trophy for completing the first mission on ultra nightmare is there any way to play this but keep your main game live? I want to go back and do all the challenges and secrets (have a ton of them already done but on a couple levels I exited prematurely).

Neiteio

I've got to jump back on this and see what this train business is all about.
It's a super-hectic battle at the end of Mission 12 with tons of tough enemies in super-tight quarters downstairs and on narrow pathways upstairs, with numerous pits you can fall into full of electricity.

The battle starts off with two Barons, although you might luck out and only one will approach you. There are at least four Pinkies (maybe six?), and at least six Mancubi (maybe eight?). Half of the Mancubi are Cybers. There are tons of Revenants, and a number of Cacodemons. Heck, there are even Lost Souls. But mercifully, no Hell Knights. Those guys are manageable in other battles but would've been too much here. Granted, this is all just on Ultra Violence; I'm not sure what Nightmare throws at you.

Depending on RNG, it could be a bit easier. And actually, the second time I played it (for fun) went a lot more smoothly because I used six BFG shots (three I brought with me, three more I found in the arena — two downstairs, one upstairs). I actually misfired one, but the other five were enough. Also, if you have the "second chance" rune, you can trivialize it. And the Super Shotgun with Double Tap also helps.

h0tp0ck3t

I had to do it on the barrel one in
Hell 2
. That one is brutal.

I like how they've taken such a dumb plot and given it so much lore and intrigue that you can't help but be interested. Hayden has great voice direction in the beginning too. I wish he stayed as awesome.

The lore is hilarious too. "Have you thought about getting your team building tattoo yet? Contact a Tier 3 representative and get your Pentagram stamp today!"

I saw there was a trophy for completing the first mission on ultra nightmare is there any way to play this but keep your main game live? I want to go back and do all the challenges and secrets (have a ton of them already done but on a couple levels I exited prematurely).

No.

Izuna

Banned
It's a super-hectic battle at the end of Mission 12 with tons of tough enemies in super-tight quarters downstairs and on narrow pathways upstairs, with numerous pits you can fall into full of electricity.

The battle starts off with two Barons, although you might luck out and only one will approach you. There are at least four Pinkies (maybe six?), and at least six Mancubi (maybe eight?). Half of the Mancubi are Cybers. There are tons of Revenants, and a number of Cacodemons. Heck, there are even Lost Souls. But mercifully, no Hell Knights. Those guys are manageable in other battles but would've been too much here. Granted, this is all just on Ultra Violence; I'm not sure what Nightmare throws at you.

Depending on RNG, it could be a bit easier. And actually, the second time I played it (for fun) went a lot more smoothly because I used six BFG shots (three I brought with me, three more I found in the arena — two downstairs, one upstairs). I actually misfired one, but the other five were enough. Also, if you have the "second chance" rune, you can trivialize it. And the Super Shotgun with Double Tap also helps.

I want to record that fight when it happens. I'll get GameDVR to record the last 5 minutes =)

Neiteio

The lore is hilarious too. "Have you thought about getting your team building tattoo yet? Contact a Tier 3 representative and get your Pentagram stamp today!"
Ha, I didn't catch that second part. Team-building tattoos with the Mark of the Beast — nothing shady going on here!

Another PSA I like is: "The road to Hell is built with Argent Energy." And another one: "Weaponizing demons, for a better tomorrow!"

And then there's the chilling letter to recruits telling them what to do in the event of a "demon contamination" event. Either slowly sneak over to a safe zone, since the demons are sensitive to movement, or walk out to them, kneel, close your eyes, and wait for them to kill you. They recommend this since the demons might kill you cleanly if you stay still, which will make your corpse more useful for research afterward. "Remember, you can be as useful in death as you were in life!"

The dark humor in this game, haha. I seriously recommend reading every bit of lore you find.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
this rune trial with the rocket launcher is fuckin ROUGH.

I can sometimes get to the pinky rounds, but I usually back myself up into a corner and get wrecked. fuck this shit.

Took me a few tries but its nothing too bad.

Remember that you have the mid-air detonation upgrade equipped for that challenge. Even if a pinky is facing you, you should still shoot to its side then detonate to do damage to its back.

If the cacodemon hits you a single time, just restart. Does too much damage.

Izuna

Banned
Taking a day off from stress with DooM. Chilling with my 2ms response time monitor and 96% SRGB Gamut.

Oh my goodness I had no idea this is how lovely the game was supposed to look.

GAT DAMN

EDIT:

Eww eww I see all the imperfections now eww eww eww
aliasing everywhere, frame drops everywhere

I hate my monitor sometimes

EDIT2:

vvvvv

I agree, I don't think this game hits as hard as TNO etc. but it hits hard enough consistently.

Neiteio

Something that just occurred to me:

This is the rare campaign where I love to play and replay every level.

Where I love to use every weapon and weapon mode.

Where I love to fight each and every enemy.

Where I love to explore each and every level.

Where I love every collectible: 3D models, classic maps, etc.

Where I love reading every scrap of info — equal parts intrigue and humor.

To me, the simple but fun multiplayer mode and SnapMap are just nice extras.

This game is the complete package. I just can't applaud id enough for their work here!

Justinh

RIP AND TEAR!
CjLorUVXAAQ4NaW.jpg

myLobFt.gif

mokeyjoe

Something that just occurred to me:

This is the rare campaign where I love to play and replay every level.

Where I love to use every weapon and weapon mode.

Where I love to fight each and every enemy.

Where I love to explore each and every level.

Where I love every collectible: 3D models, classic maps, etc.

Where I love reading every scrap of info — equal parts intrigue and humor.

To me, the simple but fun multiplayer mode and SnapMap are just nice extras.

This game is the complete package. I just can't applaud id enough for their work here!

Yep. I've been replaying the levels several times over, kinda to get the secrets, but really just to play more. Haven't replayed a game this way since Goldeneye.

Izuna

Banned
pro-tip, when you activate beserk, put on the glory kill from further distance rune, it still extends it even further

Yeah the holograms are amazing, especially with the equipment upgrade rune.

There's a major bug with them though. Sometimes when they disappear the enemies just stop fighting and stand there. You can walk right up to them, even shoot them, and they do nothing. It's kind of funny but also annoying when you've got one enemy left to kill and can't find him cos he's chilling behind a pillar or something. This happens a lot. Most arena fights end this way for me.

It's completely broken, I imagine this'll be patched.

I can verify this. Sometimes it complete bugs and enemy and you have to pay hide and seek just to finish them off.

Neiteio

Yep. I've been replaying the levels several times over, kinda to get the secrets, but really just to play more. Haven't replayed a game this way since Goldeneye.
Yeah, that's a good comparison. Goldeneye was a game where I could endlessly replay levels because the fighting felt so good. The new DOOM is like that but today.

Justinh

pro-tip, when you activate beserk, put on the glory kill from further distance rune, it still extends it even further

Yeah, I started doing that when I saw someone else mention it earlier in this thread (or maybe it was the other one?).
Whichever, just that one part later in the game in level spoiler: level-
Vega Processing
spoiler-
when you have to break the four coolant tanks. Break them all at once and activate all the enemy spawns, then run to the hidden berserk by the far right tank that's down low and equip Seek and Destroy. Makes that fight so, soo much easier and faster.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
In chapter 12 now, on my way to
destroy Vega
. I'm kinda dreading that train encounter everyone keeps talking about. I'm loving the minigun's turret mode and the gauss cannon's siege mode. tfw when that reticile turns blue and it's go time. I think the only weapon I've quit using (besides the pistol ofc) is the regular shotgun. Otherwise I keep pretty much everything in my rotation, I love the weapons in this game.

I got the second boss on my first try, way easier than the cyberdemon.

Brizzo24

Finished the campaign on PS4 last night, and after those amazing credits--seriously, wow, what a treat--I immediately went back to the first level and started playing again. I can't remember the last time I did that in a game?!

Starting over with a new game+, or replaying the missions with all your bells/whistles is awesome, though nothing compares with your first time. The diversity in the levels is what I am most appreciative about. Early images of Doom led us to believe it would be muddy, devoid of color, etc. But when you step out onto Mars' surface in the first mission, with the dusty and dreary red setting, and the wind's kicking up loose sand, it's so out-of-this-world.

I plan on revisiting missions in order to find all the secrets, and to finish maximizing my weapons. Eventually I'll want to play on a hard difficulty setting. I also plan on replaying the game all over again on a different save file in order to progress roughly the same way you do the first time through. Did you know that a handful of achievements cater to those who find secrets throughout an entire playthrough? i.e. "found all em cards in a single play through"

hunchback

I absolutely love this game but I can't play it. The game is too fast for my hands. I have severe arthritis in my hands. I can play slower paced shooters but this awesome game is just too fast damnit. Once I got to the guy's with shields then my hands couldn't keep up.

Enjoy it for me guys.

Top Bottom