• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

The Flash

Banned
Heh, I got the
train encounter
on my first try. Very close to the end now, I'd guess one more encounter and then finale. But that's for tomorow. I did notice I've been playin on hurt me plenty, is that considered normal or easy in Doom standards?

Normal. IMO this Doom is best played at Ultra-Violence or higher.

My controller definitely hass issues. Good to know it's not the game.

Build quality of DS4 is abysmal.

On the flip side the X1 controller on default (inverted) settings is smooth and accurate. No complaints about movement with a controller from me :)

At least you know it's a hardware issue that can be replaced mate.

Hey quick question regarding the levers that activate classic levels:

Are they always in eyesight of the door they open? I'm finding the doors pretty consistently, but having trouble with the levers.

Izuna

Banned

Are they always in eyesight of the door they open? I'm finding the doors pretty consistently, but having trouble with the levers.

No, not always. They're always in the same "room" but some of them are crazy hard to find. Also some of the classic doors won't stand out.

I started a thread appreciating the rune challenges, if anyone wants to discuss them in detail: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1223925

Such a great addition to a great game. Really tactical and skill-driven stuff.

Sure, but they require the same skills you need to play through Nightmare so I didn't get to find them challenge. They were fun though.

However there are some silly bugs here too. The Rocket Launcher one, if you run out of ammo you switch to your fists, and there is no way to switch back after picking up ammo. There are a lot of these small issues I don't understand what the QA testers were doing.

Sciz

They're all within a fairly short radius of the door, but not necessarily in sight of it.

... Where I love to fight each and every enemy.
Fuck the shielded soldiers though. They don't belong in this game.

You can't dodge their projectiles which will tear you to shreds if you're anywhere close to them in the close quarters you're most likely to run into them in the campaign, and landing your grenades to kill them or stagger them to expose themselves is too finicky. They're OK when you've got several maxed out weapons, but they're deadly early on, in snapmap especially, ad just feel completely out of place.

Those guys I'd toss in the bin, along with that one boss
with the shield. Its an easy fight, but a slow and repetitive one.

Izuna

Banned

You can't dodge their projectiles which will tear you to shreds if you're anywhere close to them in the close quarters you're most likely to run into them in the campaign, and landing your grenades to kill them or stagger them to expose themselves is too finicky. They're OK when you've got several maxed out weapons, but they're deadly early on, in snapmap especially, ad just feel completely out of place.

Chainsaw them. I still do even with max upgrades.

Neiteio

Yeah, the shield enemies are the closest thing this game has to a hitscan enemy. They can be very annoying, and I only like them in small dose, but taken individually, they're rewarding to overcome (especially when you get the Gauss Cannon and can just one-shot them — payback for all their bullshit)!

Stoze

No, but most of the time they are. They aren't like across the map either, they're generally in the same area. They can be really had to see. I've literally walked next to them in full view and not noticed them because of how well they blend in to the environment. Happened in the first level.

Chainsaw them. I still do even with max upgrades.
Seems like they could wear you down to bits before you got within chainsaw range. Is the chainsaw range that far out?

Every time I've tried to manuever around or over them in close quarters I always end up losing all of my armor, at the very least.

Yeah, the shield enemies are the closest thing this game has to a hitscan enemy. They can be very annoying, and I only like them in small dose, but taken individually, they're rewarding to overcome (especially when you get the Gauss Cannon and can just one-shot them — payback for all their bullshit)!
Try a SnapMap with Survival mode AI without super weapons or modded weapons. The AI composer will start drowning you in those shield enemies and the game turns south. Every other enemy in the game is fun compared to those guys.

Jennings

izunadono said:
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Cobalt%20Izuna/video/17900406

So it turns out this game can get pretty fast. Gives me memories of Quake 2.

EDIT:

lol Classic map for Tower of Babel. what.
Well done.

Izuna

Banned
Seems like they could wear you down to bits before you got within chainsaw range. Is the chainsaw range that far out?

Every time I've tried to manuever around or over them in close quarters I always end up losing all of my armor, at the very least.

Chain saw range is pretty insane, but for the most part you can also use it while in the air. Just take a B-line to using it on them. Otherwise if you have the sort of open space issue of getting hit in all directions, you won't need to fight them with any close range weapon at all. That doesn't happen until you get at least the Rocket Launcher though.

Haha, you kept shooting at the Hell Razer but hitting everything -but- the Hell Razer. Slow down there, Eager McBeaver!

But yeah, the game is so fun to play fast. First-person Sonic the Hedgehog simulator. GOTTA DOOM FAST!

Haha yeah, I wasn't used to Haste, let alone Haste + speed boost from the rune. I was like... what the hell is going on...

TheFuzz

ABSOLUTELY PHENOMENAL GAME. Just bought it today.

Quick question: I'm sure I missed it, but what are the small green key cards(or whatever they are) used for? They're above my health display, and I've maxed them out and aren't sure what I can do with them.

Izuna

Banned
ABSOLUTELY PHENOMENAL GAME. Just bought it today.

Quick question: I'm sure I missed it, but what are the small green key cards(or whatever they are) used for? They're above my health display, and I've maxed them out and aren't sure what I can do with them.

... armour?

Unlike other id games, armour in this literally goes down before your health.

Neiteio

Try a SnapMap with Survival mode AI without super weapons or modded weapons. The AI composer will start drowning you in those shield enemies and the game turns south. Every other enemy in the game is fun compared to those guys.
Oh, SnapMap doesn't let you choose which enemies appear and in what quantities?

In the main campaign, shield enemies work fine since they're presented in the right numbers. They're balanced.

Can't speak to the level editor, where anyone can make a level.

Oh, SnapMap doesn't let you choose which enemies appear and in what quantities?
You can hand place enemies and choose some specific enemy groupings for specific events, but if you use the AI composer that autopopulates the map with enemies over time and as players progress through the level, thats how it goes.

Neiteio

You can hand place enemies and choose some specific enemy groupings for specific events, but if you use the AI composer that autopopulates the map with enemies over time and as players progress through the level, thats how it goes.
I imagine there are all kinds of balance issues in SnapMap then. More a case of fixing the level editor rather than fixing an enemy that otherwise works fine in Campaign.

Izuna

Banned
Mega Health
Reload Checkpoint
Mega Health
Reload Checkpoint
Mega Health
etc.

EDIT: End of Mission 10, if you backtrack at the VERY end, you get locked out and you cannot proceed as the teleporter cage never opens again. Forcing a Load Checkpoint.

I imagine there are all kinds of balance issues in SnapMap then. More a case of fixing the level editor rather than fixing an enemy that otherwise works fine in Campaign.
I look at it as SnapMap making it apparent how messed up an enemy type they are. There's no issues with littering levels with the other enemy types, outside of overkill from a dozen Barons or the like.

iddqd

Man, I'm really bad at finding secrets.
Keep looking but no dice.

About to finish the second level with ZERO secrets found. Gotta go back!

TheFuzz

Thanks to all who recommended this game. The gameplay is sooooo good. Played for 3 straight hours tonight and cannot wait to jump back in.

The amount of platforming and backtracking is a welcome surprise. I've been missing games like this. This will definitely be in my GOTY discussion I feel.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member

Most of the secrets in this game are about verticality. They want you to get used to looking up and down a lot(since most people didn't in older Dooms), so they put a lot of things in vents above you and nooks below you.

Spinifex

Not half as bad as me, I imagine. I made it through my first playthrough without even unlocking a 2nd rune slot.

Which is making my 2nd Nightmare play-through all the more fun.

pa22word

Is there some design reason they did this? It's not until late in the game they start doing it, but it got to where I could spot it (ie "you fall down a deep hole with no ladder to progress") and just started backtracking then. It can't be a loading issue, they could just stick a door there or airlock or whatever they use to hide load times.

Seems kind of arbitrary.

It's because of tech.

The consoles of today don't even come close to having the ram to load in the entire levels. On PC you can pretty accurately predicted when a pnr is going to happen because your memory usage is hitting around 7.2 GBs.

Izuna

Banned
Time to find out what this train is all about in 10 or so minutes.

I have to say, going through the classic stages while going through the campaign really shows how this game could have been much more difficult. House of Pain took me like 4 retries o do...

Neiteio

Time to find out what this train is all about in 10 or so minutes.

I have to say, going through the classic stages while going through the campaign really shows how this game could have been much more difficult. House of Pain took me like 4 retries o do...
Since you're expecting it to be hard, I'm sure it'll be easy. Caught me off-guard, though, compared to what came before.

I recommend running laps around the high ground, and keep your BFG handy.

Izuna

Banned
Since you're expecting it to be hard, I'm sure it'll be easy. Caught me off-guard, though, compared to what came before.

I recommend running laps around the high ground, and keep your BFG handy.

oh shit, here it is!

Will try with my normal runes, no second life. I want this to be hard af

EDIT:

Sad-face-frowny-face-clipart-cliparts-for-you.jpg

First try. TBH I did play more careful because I was expecting it to be hard. There really was a ton of BFG ammo. I see what you mean by it taking people by surprise. It's a shame it wasn't full of Cacodemons, I think they're the hardest enemy in the game when mixed with others. Pinkie demons still haven't killed me once outside of Classic Levels, but I guess that's Air Control for you.

Video will probably take forever to upload, I'll post when done.

I was expecting some BS moving train battle haha

TBH this is proof that this game is basically full on Classic. If you are good at Quake 1 or 2, you can play this very well. I compare this game to Quake 1 because of the air control especially.

Finally beat it. Great game. Will definitely replay it. The multiplayer is a ton of fun too. I think too many people expected Quake. I'm sure that the rumored upcoming Quake game will scratch that itch for Quake fans.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I liked the game more than I thought I would. The first hour it felt like a culture shock with old school feel with only hip fire aiming(for the most part) and chaotic gameplay, but once I settled in, I enjoyed it. I liked finding secrets, actually thought the story was pretty cool, and liked how you needed to use a bunch of the weapons(especially on bosses and large hoards of enemies) and such.

Neiteio

Hey guys, question for a friend:

If you download the DOOM Complete Collection on STEAM (I assume it's on STEAM), can you still use the keyboard-only control scheme? I'd imagine so, but just want to be 100%. That's how he played it when he was a kid.

Izuna

Banned
Train Section Fight (Mission 12 - Nightmare) Xbox One
First Attempt

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Cobalt Izuna/video/17907015

Runes:

Blood Fueled II
Armored Offensive II
In-Flight Mobility II

Notes:

... you can see me trying to fix the weapon switching every time I go from the BFG

Dear id, please fix it so that pressing Y from the BFG doesn't replace one of the quick select weapons.

IMO, the In-Flight Mobility II Rune has trivialised any difficult fights there could be in this game. At least in Quake to have this sort of air control you had to change the direction you were facing.

Neiteio

Train Section Fight (Mission 12 - Nightmare) Xbox One
First Attempt

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Cobalt Izuna/video/17907015

Runes:

Blood Fueled II
Armored Offensive II
In-Flight Mobility II

Notes:

... you can see me trying to fix the weapon switching every time I go from the BFG

Dear id, please fix it so that pressing Y from the BFG doesn't replace one of the quick select weapons.

IMO, the In-Flight Mobility II Rune has trivialised any difficult fights there could be in this game. At least in Quake to have this sort of air control you had to change the direction you were facing.
Your style is really similar to mine, but what's that thing where you're making a teammate appear to distract your enemies??

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
god damn got dicked over with a corrupted save, managed to recover it but now my whole game is locked in developer mode, no achievements will pop as its marked as cheating. shitty. hardware locked up while playing. not starting over though, will beat the game then go back for a nightmare run.

apparently the only way to fix it is to delete saves

Neiteio

Hologram?

Oh I wonder if you knew you could change your equipment with the d-pad. It's broken as f...
Oh! I've only used frag grenades so far. But I would've thought the hologram would look like the ones in the UAC base (shimmering bald white men). I haven't used that or the other one that sounds like a sphere sapping enemy HP. I need to try those.

Sciz

Hey guys, question for a friend:

If you download the DOOM Complete Collection on STEAM (I assume it's on STEAM), can you still use the keyboard-only control scheme? I'd imagine so, but just want to be 100%. That's how he played it when he was a kid.

The Steam versions are just the original games run through DOSBox. Not that you can't just throw the wads into Chocolate Doom, or bind the controls to whatever in ZDoom.

Izuna

Banned
Oh! I've only used frag grenades so far. But I would've thought the hologram would look like the ones in the UAC base (shimmering bald white men). I haven't used that or the other one that sounds like a sphere sapping enemy HP. I need to try those.

Siphon 'nades are worthless, you get barely anything back and they stun the enemies less than a long-range shot with the Double Shotty. Hologram however (and I should admit) is actually kinda broken. It has like a 90 success rate of getting all enemies to be distracted and enemies that are far away lose aggro. You can even use it for bosses...

Top Bottom