• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Brizzo24

In chapter 12 now, on my way to
destroy Vega
. I'm kinda dreading that train encounter everyone keeps talking about. I'm loving the minigun's turret mode and the gauss cannon's siege mode. tfw when that reticile turns blue and it's go time. I think the only weapon I've quit using (besides the pistol ofc) is the regular shotgun. Otherwise I keep pretty much everything in my rotation, I love the weapons in this game.

I got the second boss on my first try, way easier than the cyberdemon.

Don't be afraid to use the BFG. You'll find ammo for it if you keep your ears/eyes open. I only died once in the train encounter, and it was a silly mistake.

Keep moving, keep shooting'

Izuna

Banned
So guys, what's your take on Rune choices?

So far I know that

- In-Flight Mobility II

Is a must.

But I can't decide what is the best between:

- Armoured Offensive II
- Blood Fueled II (which goes hand in hang with the above)
- Saving Throw II

I think in a way I don't like the idea of Saving Throw unless I have trouble in an area (which is rare, I haven't died in a while). Glory Kills are icky with them being faster, but Blood Fueled is the most fun... Hmm...

Infinite ammo is kinda pointless since I doubt I would lose out, and even then the one that gives more ammo is better anyway....

I might go for:

- Armoured Offensive II
- Blood Fueled II
- In-Flight Mobility II

The most fun and rewarding, but not necessarily making the game easier outside of giving me more ways to save myself.

Brizzo24

I absolutely love this game but I can't play it. The game is too fast for my hands. I have severe arthritis in my hands. I can play slower paced shooters but this awesome game is just too fast damnit. Once I got to the guy's with shields then my hands couldn't keep up.

Enjoy it for me guys.

Play it on an easier difficulty setting?

Luckily the shield guys don't show up that often, though the charging Pinky's do become an increasingly hostile threat in the game. Level up your equipment so you can throw more grenades, level up the plasma rifle so you can snipe from afar and get the bead on faster enemies. Also, use the chainsaw on those stupid shield guys to make quick work of 'em.

Sorry to hear about your arthritis :(

Neiteio

I absolutely love this game but I can't play it. The game is too fast for my hands. I have severe arthritis in my hands. I can play slower paced shooters but this awesome game is just too fast damnit. Once I got to the guy's with shields then my hands couldn't keep up.

Enjoy it for me guys.
Don't know if this would help, but try the following:

- Play on the lowest of the three difficulty settings; when replaying missions, you can always choose the next two difficulty levels (all three are available on replay, regardless of which you used originally)

- Do this to get the weapons that can make short work of the shield guys and pinkies without moving around them: Namely, the Gauss Cannon and Super Shotgun. When you replay missions, all of your weapons and upgrades carry over.

- In meantime, spam frag grenades against shield guys, and/or replay earlier levels to upgrade current weapons by finding secrets (which earn you weapon points) and fulfilling challenges. Upgraded weapons can help against shields!

All of that might help you continue to enjoy the game.

EDIT: And yeah, the chainsaw is good for shotgun guys and Hell Knights, the ones that often get in your face in the first half. (In the second half, it's Hell Knights and Pinkies.)

And yeah, you can upgrade your suit to throw more frag grenades more often.

Enjoy it for me guys.

Man this is sad. I'm sorry mate. :(

Justinh

So guys, what's your take on Rune choices?

So far I know that

- In-Flight Mobility II

Is a must.

But I can't decide what is the best between:

- Armoured Offensive II
- Blood Fueled II (which goes hand in hang with the above)
- Saving Throw II

I think in a way I don't like the idea of Saving Throw unless I have trouble in an area (which is rare, I haven't died in a while). Glory Kills are icky with them being faster, but Blood Fueled is the most fun... Hmm...

I've only used In-Flight Mobility when I needed to upgrade it. I'm not really a fan of it. (edit: not that it made the game feel worse or anything, just that I thought another rune would be more useful)
I use
-Rich Get Richer
-Armored Offensive
-and Seek and Destroy (Used to be the one that gives you more ammo/BFG ammo sometimes but I'm sticking with this for now)
all upgraded of course.

Neiteio

In chapter 12 now, on my way to
destroy Vega
. I'm kinda dreading that train encounter everyone keeps talking about. I'm loving the minigun's turret mode and the gauss cannon's siege mode. tfw when that reticile turns blue and it's go time. I think the only weapon I've quit using (besides the pistol ofc) is the regular shotgun. Otherwise I keep pretty much everything in my rotation, I love the weapons in this game.

I got the second boss on my first try, way easier than the cyberdemon.
I think you'll find it easier than you think. I may have overstated its difficulty my first time; on my second time I made liberal use of the BFG, which helped immensely. You can go in with three charges and find another three charges in the arena.

Izuna

Banned
I've only used In-Flight Mobility when I needed to upgrade it. I'm not really a fan of it. (edit: not that it made the game feel worse or anything, just that I thought another rune would be more useful)
I use
-Rich Get Richer
-Armored Offensive
-and Seek and Destroy (Used to be the one that gives you more ammo/BFG ammo sometimes but I'm sticking with this for now)
all upgraded of course.

In-Flight Mobility imo might be the most useful. If you jump forward you go faster too, it helps me dodge imps or get to them faster. Hmm.

Ulysses 31

Aaaaaaaaaaaand another one ignoring Doom 64.

200.gif

Shifty

I'm kinda dreading that train encounter everyone keeps talking about.

Eh, it's not that bad. Took a few tries and the checkpoint is annoying, but it's not horrendous. You even get a free BFG round!

I think the only weapon I've quit using (besides the pistol ofc) is the regular shotgun.

Don't make me post the combo gif again. I'm a man on the edge, I'll do it.

Aaaaaaaaaaaand another one ignoring Doom 64.

200.gif

The level of underappreciation for that game is a sad thing indeed.

I just want to play Nightmare again, specifically for the challenge. It's very much a feeling of "Bring it on". Any other game, the prospect of replaying on a higher difficulty would seem tedious. Not with Doom.

Also Kadingir Sanctum might be one of the best FPS levels ever. Neteito got me hyperbolin'.

Going to work on replaying on Nightmare. Other than that, I plan on doing (at least) the first level on Ultra Nightmare with no HUD/Highlights.

Me neither, post it! I can't fathom why no one uses the standard shotgun. The power-up projectile, with the I I crosshairs is my go-to beat-down.

Explosive shot? Mix it up with the rapid shot attachment... it's devastating, though not nearly as satisfying as the double-double barreled super shotgun (as unrealistic as it may be)

No BFG Edition Doom 3, No Doom 64, no Xbox One and PS4 copies of Doom 2016?

UeUngsX.gif

Obviously jk, that's fucking awesome. I want that cacodemon plushie

Hahaha! Yeah the Cacodemon seems to have been discontinued from Bethesda's store for some (silly) reason.

I'd love to own all the Doom ports. 32x, SNES, GBA, and of course Doom 64. I'm currently about half way through Doom 64 EX and loving it! I think I'd honestly prefer it as a PC port than an N64 game.

Speaking of Doom 64, is it worth owning if I can get just the cartridge for a decent price? ($15-$20) I kinda want the box and instructions as I'm somewhat of a collector, but it's up there in price - though not as bad as good condition original Shareware Doom. I was never a Nintendo guy, but am always surprised and disappointed just how few people kept their Nintendo cases and boxes.

As for BFG Edition - that can suck my dick. I own it on Steam - again, out of completion - but I'm not a fan of that version.

gatti-man

Well finished the new doom and man what a perfection of single player campaign. Checked all my boxes, gameplay so tight, gore, laughs, scares, bare knuckle fights that don't feel cheap, boss fights that were fun, rock solid frame rate.

A+ will play again. A modern classic of fps design. Give me more.

Brizzo24

Explosive shot? Mix it up with the rapid shot attachment... it's devastating, though not nearly as satisfying as the double-double barreled super shotgun (as unrealistic as it may be)

Yeah, explosive shot with the arcing grenade-like propulsion. The three-shot power-up is cool too! I am currently in the middle of mastering that power-up, but have to use the three-shot on 5 of those big guys.

mokeyjoe

Is there a new game + mode so I can max out all the weapons? Or does it start from scratch?

The mission select allows you to play any of the levels with your power ups and continue to level them up so it's sort of the same.

The only exception is nightmare mode which is segregated from the other difficulties.

Izuna

Banned
out of ammo with BFG also forces auto=switch on empty, giving you the combat shotty =(

EDIT:

Dear id, here's a good idea. When someone upgrades one weapon mastery, lower the requirement to complete another mastery.

hunchback

Don't know if this would help, but try the following:

- Play on the lowest of the three difficulty settings; when replaying missions, you can always choose the next two difficulty levels (all three are available on replay, regardless of which you used originally)

- Do this to get the weapons that can make short work of the shield guys and pinkies without moving around them: Namely, the Gauss Cannon and Super Shotgun. When you replay missions, all of your weapons and upgrades carry over.

- In meantime, spam frag grenades against shield guys, and/or replay earlier levels to upgrade current weapons by finding secrets (which earn you weapon points) and fulfilling challenges. Upgraded weapons can help against shields!

All of that might help you continue to enjoy the game.

EDIT: And yeah, the chainsaw is good for shotgun guys and Hell Knights, the ones that often get in your face in the first half. (In the second half, it's Hell Knights and Pinkies.)

And yeah, you can upgrade your suit to throw more frag grenades more often.

Thanks guy's. I will try this stuff and see if it helps. I really want to keep playing.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
The only complaint I have so far is the weird movement on the left stick. It feels like they just ignored the fact it's an analog, and there's a huge deadzone in the middle, it's like: walk-----wtfnothing-----run.

Otherwise, pretty good so far.

I do find the left stick highly annoying though, even after a few hours.

Izuna

Banned
Well there's your problem. You're using a controller! (j/k) Does the game not offer any settings to adjust deadzones?

No, and if you have a controller that isn't perfect, certain directions from standing still will always make you go super slow. For me a 5 degree angle from north does walking speed and it makes me pull to a side before walking. It really needs fixing.

EDIT:

Guys, if you don't want the game to keep changing to your Combat Shotgun or Assault Rifle (even with auto-switch on empty off) when you use the BFG, make sure you switch back with the BFG button. If you press Y with the BFG out, it will change your other weapon to one of those.

SO STUPID id!

Damn it, reading this thread and listening to Bombcast gushing over Doom has me wanting to purchase this bad. I was going to get Dragon Quest Heroes on sale for $32, but I think I'd probably do better with Doom.

Edit: And bought

The only complaint I have so far is the weird movement on the left stick. It feels like they just ignored the fact it's an analog, and there's a huge deadzone in the middle, it's like: walk-----wtfnothing-----run.

Otherwise, pretty good so far.

I do find the left stick highly annoying though, even after a few hours.

That left stick thing is intentional. You should always be moving at max speed.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Well I found my first complaint about this game. Got to the end of a level. Wanted to go back and explore the level finding a bunch of stuff I missed before exiting the level, including a Rune trial which is the big thing I wanted to find before finishing the level. But for some reason the route back appeared to be blocked off. I hate it when games do this.

I decided to replay the mission but then got annoyed being forced to go through the combat encounters again with all the respective paths I unlocked before being blocked off until I kill all enemies again. I just want to explore the level. Just disable the enemies and let me explore. Bleh. This is probably gonna kill my motivation to replay levels in general. If I'm replaying a level it's to explore and get things I missed, not beat the same enemies I already beat. Even just unblocking all areas on replay would be nice since at least then I could do my best to just try to ignore enemies while I explore.

But other than that I'm loving this game.

Izuna

Banned
Well I found my first complaint about this game. Got to the end of a level. Wanted to go back and explore the level finding a bunch of stuff I missed before exiting the level, including a Rune trial which is the big thing I wanted to find before finishing the level. But for some reason the route back appeared to be blocked off. I hate it when games do this.

I decided to replay the mission but then got annoyed being forced to go through the combat encounters again with all the respective paths I unlocked before being blocked off until I kill all enemies again. I just want to explore the level. Just disable the enemies and let me explore. Bleh. This is probably gonna kill my motivation to replay levels in general. If I'm replaying a level it's to explore and get things I missed, not beat the same enemies I already beat. Even just unblocking all areas on replay would be nice since at least then I could do my best to just try to ignore enemies while I explore.

But other than that I'm loving this game.

Some levels have like 3 PNRs... =(

Justinh

In-Flight Mobility imo might be the most useful. If you jump forward you go faster too, it helps me dodge imps or get to them faster. Hmm.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Cobalt Izuna/video/17895297

In-Flight Mobility is nice. Also, I really hope it gets harder than this. Only 3 more levels to go for the train.

I dunno, I just like the system that I have set up with regards to runes. I jump a lot, but I just don't think In-Flight Mobility would be better for me.

After train (maybe? I'm not sure. Let's just say yes...) and upgrade spoilers
: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDRRlP9QT-g - youtube like... killed the contrast and made it brighter for some reason. I guess that's a "thing"

Evolved1

That left stick thing is intentional. You should always be moving at max speed.
You are not always in combat. And even in combat, some nuance in straffing is appreciated. As is, a slight press completely kills your momentum. Which, you know, kinda defeats your point.

If it's intentional, then it's fucking stupid.

JamesAR15

Every time I pick up this game I like it more and more. I am right at the last chapter and already thinking about another play through which is super rare for me.

Izuna

Banned
You are not always in combat. And even in combat, some nuance in straffing is appreciated. As is, a slight press completely kills your momentum. Which, you know, kinda defeats your point.

If it's intentional, then it's fucking stupid.

It's a bug. Your controller has deadzone issues and this game is going to force a walk if you start moving in certain directions. If you have another controller, try it.

Evolved1

It's a bug. Your controller has deadzone issues and this game is going to force a walk if you start moving in certain directions. If you have another controller, try it.
My controller definitely hass issues. Good to know it's not the game.

Build quality of DS4 is abysmal.

Ixion

Enjoy it for me guys.

Damn. My hands have actually been screwed up for the last five months (pain, numbness, weakness), but luckily I can play a level or two of DOOM without my hands completely crapping out on me.

I still don't have an actual diagnosis......except more DOOM.

point of no return

Is there some design reason they did this? It's not until late in the game they start doing it, but it got to where I could spot it (ie "you fall down a deep hole with no ladder to progress") and just started backtracking then. It can't be a loading issue, they could just stick a door there or airlock or whatever they use to hide load times.

Seems kind of arbitrary.

Izuna

Banned
My controller definitely hass issues. Good to know it's not the game.

Build quality of DS4 is abysmal.

In an update all they need to do is give us a deadzone option. In my opinion it's a problem with the game, no other game on Xbone has this particular issue. It's a side effect to having no real analogue movement and very silly design choices.

Is there some design reason they did this? It's not until late in the game they start doing it, but it got to where I could spot it (ie "you fall down a deep hole with no ladder to progress") and just started backtracking then. It can't be a loading issue, they could just stick a door there or airlock or whatever they use to hide load times.

Seems kind of arbitrary.

I guess they tried really hard to make levels like the old doom, where you could backtrack completely, but they figured it hurt their freedom with level design -- or something to do with memory, I don't know. Probably memory if I were to guess. I imagine while making the game they just went "welp, people will replay the levels anyway, if they're using a guide to find the secrets they may as well use it from the start, derp"

I'll mention again though, Lunar Craft <--- he has the best guides for secrets because he tells you about the PNRs in an intro before he shows you the secrets.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Heh, I got the
train encounter
on my first try. Very close to the end now, I'd guess one more encounter and then finale. But that's for tomorow. I did notice I've been playin on hurt me plenty, is that considered normal or easy in Doom standards?

Top Bottom