• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Izuna

Banned
Absolutely! As the game progresses and the stakes get higher - the Imps become more of a threat. That said, I'm not a BIG fan of their design. They look almost too futuristic for my liking. I actually prefer the more demonic look of the ones found in Doom 3. If THOSE Imps moved like the ones in Doom 2016 - holy balls! I also preferred the Doom 3 design of the Pinky. That half beast, half mechanical look was killer!

I know it's not the goal for me to come in and say "no it isn't" but Pinkies and Imps are useless if you use the In-Flight Mobility Rune. In earlier levels it feels like their charge hits you a lot, but if you including jumping in your mobility you'll hardly ever get it.

Their only way to balance this in nightmare was to make through fireballs do something like 50-70 damage. They definitely become easier to avoid with the new abilities.

I know it's not the goal for me to come in and say "no it isn't" but Pinkies and Imps are useless if you use the In-Flight Mobility Rune. In earlier levels it feels like their charge hits you a lot, but if you including jumping in your mobility you'll hardly ever get it.

Their only way to balance this in nightmare was to make through fireballs do something like 50-70 damage. They definitely become easier to avoid with the new abilities.

Going to start my Nightmare run tonight (as well as Ultra Nightmare w/ no HUD/Highlights) Can't get enough!

IMO, the In-Flight Mobility II Rune has trivialised any difficult fights there could be in this game. At least in Quake to have this sort of air control you had to change the direction you were facing.
Liberally using the massive "I WIN!" button that is the BFG has a much larger influence to drastically lowering the overall difficulty.

Z3M0G

All the impressions I've read never mentioned how NIN the soundtrack actually was... it's fantastic!

It makes me feel like I'm playing Quake more than DooM

All the impressions I've read never mentioned how NIN the soundtrack actually was... it's fantastic!

It makes me feel like I'm playing Quake more than DooM

Yeah, NIN was my first thought as well. Really pumps you up when you smash those portals and shit's about to go down

Izuna

Banned
Liberally using the massive "I WIN!" button that is the BFG has a much larger influence to drastically lowering the overall difficulty.

I don't really think so. It takes out enemies, but there is enough of the game there to show that all the BFG is really doing is just saving time and reducing the chance of player's fatigue from killing them.

Literally the only real threat that is reduced by the BFG that couldn't otherwise be so quickly are the Barons of Hell... But in the entire game you probably fight less than a handful without being provided Quad Damage, Berserk, or an area where you have the upper hand on mobility.

The game was purposefully designed so that you almost never fight fairly with any of these enemies. I mean, this is a dude that take off like 100+ and OHKOs on a melee.

Outside of Classic Levels, you're never really fighting the enemies, you're fighting the system. The system that says "so long as you're in the air, changing directions, you will seldom get hit... Oh but if you do there's at least 3 full health bars worth of pickups for you". And the original Doom is also designed around that philosophy, except you would be skipping enemies picking up powerups to survive.

I was expecting at least one of the later levels to not spoil the player with easy mode power-ups, but it was done because the enemies are not supposed to be consistently avoidable. It is obvious that game is designed around giving you the arsenal to make short work of anything you’re up against. So an extra ability that breaks that design philosophy and makes you able to fully control your movement, enough to dodge fireballs like a SHUMP? That's the real WIN button there.

And anyone who has play the old Quake games even a little in multiplayer know how to use it.

EDIT: All music sounded like remakes of the Doom 3 intro music haha. But yeah, the gameplay is basically Quake in Doom's colours.

Ixion

There's also a lot of Meshuggah influence.

Regardless of what people say, the original games were scary for their time. Horror is something I want from this series.

I do think the sequel could use a little more Doom 3. And by that I don't mean slower sections, but rather more tension, more dark/spooky areas and more surprising enemy encounters. Those were all elements of the original Doom after all, but Doom 3 emphasized those elements, while DOOM emphasized the other elements. The next entry should try to strike a balance closer to the original. It adds the variety some people are clamoring for, while not hampering the existing appeal of DOOM.

I don't really think so. It takes out enemies, but there is enough of the game there to show that all the BFG is really doing is just saving time and reducing the chance of player's fatigue from killing them.
One option clears out an entire room with a single shot, including multiple spawns of the strongest enemy types, in less than 5 seconds with minimal aiming because of how gargantuan its area-of-effect is, whereas the second option does no damage and 'merely' gives you a significant increase in mobility that still requires you to actively dodge projectiles and demons alike.

I don't see how this moot point you're trying to make is even up for discussion.

Redboxed for a few nights and returned this morning. Probably just gonna buy the game because I'm having so much fun. The game's just a pure adrenaline shot straight to the heart fun. I need an OST for the game as soon as possible.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
People are really sleeping on the upgraded Ammo Boost tune. BFG ammo from enemies is amazing in later fights. It drops more often than I expected.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Siphon 'nades are worthless, you get barely anything back and they stun the enemies less than a long-range shot with the Double Shotty. Hologram however (and I should admit) is actually kinda broken. It has like a 90 success rate of getting all enemies to be distracted and enemies that are far away lose aggro. You can even use it for bosses...
One saving grace for siphon grenades is that they apparently give you armor if you're at full health.

But yeah, hologram sounds like it's probably better.

Izuna

Banned
One option clears out an entire room with a single shot, including multiple spawns of the strongest enemy types, in less than 5 seconds with minimal aiming because of how gargantuan its area-of-effect is, whereas the second option does no damage and 'merely' gives you a significant increase in mobility that still requires you to actively dodge projectiles and demons alike.

I don't see how this moot point you're trying to make is even up for discussion.

Regardless of the difficulty curve in learning how to use In-Flight Mobility, something that allows you to almost no damage when used right universally limits the threat posed by this game.

The BFG is limited and you can't even have enough to use it for every encounter. In the final mission
you get about one to two shots per encounter IF you find all the secret areas
, there are still enemies left over that you have to fight without the BFG.

But In-Flight Mobility never runs out, it's always on, and if you play consistently the only thing the BFG does is give you less to fight.

In a game where you literally die in one or two direct hits and there is a maximum numbers of enemies on screen at once, the only thing that would make 100 Monsters harder than 40 is if you're not consistent. It's far easier to be consistent with it.

There are many factors (like who we are using the BFG on), but the BFG isn't helping the player find it easier to avoid getting hit from all the enemies that the BFG isn't used on.

I could re-do the train section fight and probably pass it first try if you banned me from using the BFG, but stop me using the rune? It might take me a few tries.

--

Also personally, the game was already pretty easy before I even picked up the BFG. Everything dies in two well placed Siege shots anyway.

But this wasn't the point. I was backing up the reason to use the rune as a suggestion to other players to make the game easier. Using the BFG more is good advice but it doesn't help for when it runs out of ammo.

suikoden352

Neo Member
Yay!! My copy from Amazon got here a day early! I may load it up to the start screen and let it install and whatnot tonight and then start it for real tomorrow once I'm me and my wife are off work. I'm hopeful all the hype I'm hearing and reading on the campaign isn't just overblown zeitgeist and is legit.

I have NOT beaten the game, but I can't rememebr the name of the level, or what...BUT....I found one awesome "Easter Egg" that was pretty obvious. At this point, I am a Level 3 follower, where I am in among the most trusted of supporters. In the level, maybe halfway, maybe two thirds..? I don't know...PLEASE DONT SPOIL MY SP PROGRESS as in defining the length...but...
Seeing the Soul Cube from Doom 3 on the tables before you go back to Hell was dope. No real mention or nod to it either, just the cube chillin there.

And, I am finding myself intentionally dying from time to time, just so I can replay certain encounters again and again....so good...

LiK

Yay!! My copy from Amazon got here a day early! I may load it up to the start screen and let it install and whatnot tonight and then start it for real tomorrow once I'm me and my wife are off work. I'm hopeful all the hype I'm hearing and reading on the campaign isn't just overblown zeitgeist and is legit.

it's legit.

Ulysses 31

A worthy follow up to Doom 64!

TFS Gaming posted part 1 of their playthrough. I love how giddy everyone is once the game starts. They go from curious "Haven't heard much about the game other than it's good" to gobsmacked "HOLY SHIT" once the DOOM logo appears and the soundtrack goes completely metal.

Shifty

After actually playing this game through on nightmare, this gif looks cool but it's not a good idea at all. Half of the weapon switches are a waste of ammo.

It just like one of those fighting game combos that last a long time and are flashy, but end up doing less damage than a shorter one.

Flashy is definitely what I aim for if a game allows for it. I have more fun styling on enemies than executing the optimal strategy for every encounter.

I'm waiting on upgrading to a 1080 before I do my Nightmare run, so it'll be interesting to see how I fare when that happens.

RowdyReverb

Pro tip: Remember to switch out your runes strategically when you encounter a boss battle. Glory kill bonuses won't do you much good there.

mdsfx

Got an email from Bethesda's store advertising this lithograph. I'm not usually one for this kind of thing - but I got one. It'll go nice with the rest of the collection.

http://store.bethsoft.com/brands/doom/fight-like-hell-lithograph.html

500 made.

You should grab a PAX keychain on eBay for $10 to add to the collection. They're small, but kind of cool.

s-l225.jpg

You should grab a PAX keychain on eBay for $10 to add to the collection. They're small, but kind of cool.

I'm seeing them for $20 :( Either way, they're neat. I like the keycard design. But yeah, can't get enough. Waiting for a good price on Doom 64 as well.

Izuna

Banned
Flashy is definitely what I aim for if a game allows for it. I have more fun styling on enemies than executing the optimal strategy for every encounter.

I'm waiting on upgrading to a 1080 before I do my Nightmare run, so it'll be interesting to see how I fare when that happens.

Yeah I suppose, it's a playstyle difference. How optimal play feels and rewards the player is how I really judge gameplay, and my own ability to figure out what that is.

I like the gif, but it isn't representation of why playing on PC gives you an advantage. If anything, I think the high ammo counts is probably balancing made for consoles.

I wish there was any point in the game where I would be forced to use another weapon, but there's only 4 types of ammo...

Rockets
Bullets
Plasma
Slugs

Siege should have had its own ammo type =)

That being said, the Assault Rifle with Zoom is great for bosses once upgraded. You have constant DPS and full movement speed.

Lanrutcon

Ugh I hope these evolve into being more exciting. I'm glad it isn't too long though.

Good to watch this whole.

Atm it's just a race to get the best clear time, period. The more exciting runs will be the challenge runs that follow. Wait for some crazy bastard to do a Ultra Nightmare pistol only run, if that's even possible.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Gamestop PUR expiring, and a 20% off any used game birthday coupon means I'm grabbing a PS4 copy today. I'm super pumped to finally play Doom!

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Beat the game. Definitely want to replay this on ultra violence at some point. Like many, this was the biggest surprise of the year so far, and will end up very high on my goty list. But 2016 has some damn good games, and The Witness and Dark Souls III are just ahead of it for me.

Neiteio

These skips are so dumb lol. What a fun speed run in the end. I was wrong. It is far better than Halo 4-5.
There was a guy who beat Ultra Nightmare right around launch, and he doesn't skip anything. You should check it out if you want to see some real skill. Quite the endurance test! Most of his skull markers were in the first two hours, so I think he hit his stride once he had some of the heavier artillery.

Hehe, I accidentally sequence breaked in the
VEGA coolant room
by jumping over the forcefield and it kinda broke rest of the mission (but managed to finish it regardless).

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
So... Challenge say find 3 secrets. I have all secrets in the level. But challenge isn't showing as completed.

Why? lol did I fuck it up?

I've found every secret so far myself, without a guide. This is a bit of a bummer. I was hoping to complete all the challenges.

It seemed like the plasma rifle was changed into the game's version of an smg imo. It's definitely useful on the weaker enemies but not at all on the big ones.

SkylineRKR

The Stun mod on the Plasma is really good. I stunned 2 Barons, and then lined up Siege mode at their heads. The heat blast is good too.

Generally, the mods are great crowd control tools. The primary I almost never used.

Top Bottom