• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Izuna

Banned
So that speed run killed any interest I had in running through again on Ultra Nightmare haha. Not because it's a "seen it, don't need to do it", but there are a few things I'd like to do that I'm not sure I can handle on controller. Ultimately I still play Quake 2 rather unaware of how a speed run works (if my fav game, I don't want to ruin it), but DooM didn't offer much challenge naturally.

It'll be interesting to see where this game goes. It's a shame they didn't just make another Quake 3 out of the multiplayer, they had everything they needed, but instead they went for some strange hybrid that takes away any serious play.

icespide

Banned
I'm on the penultimate level of this and can't bring myself to finish it yet. It's like saving the last chapter of a great book

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
There was a guy who beat Ultra Nightmare right around launch, and he doesn't skip anything. You should check it out if you want to see some real skill. Quite the endurance test! Most of his skull markers were in the first two hours, so I think he hit his stride once he had some of the heavier artillery.
I liked how that run wasn't super refined because of how new the game was. He had some genuine close calls, even very late in the game.

I usually like watching streams of ultra nightmare attempts if the guy is good, because you never know how far he'll get. A lot of UNM streams are boring because the guy often dies within the first two levels, though.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
So since I have no way to play Doom 2016 I was thinking of picking up the Doom 3 BFG edition they released a few years back.

Is it not available digitally or am I just really bad at searching on the XBox Live Marketplace?

Izuna

Banned
So since I have no way to play Doom 2016 I was thinking of picking up the Doom 3 BFG edition they released a few years back.

Is it not available digitally or am I just really bad at searching on the XBox Live Marketplace?

It isn't on there.

Why can't you play Doom 2016? Stuck with last gen?

It's backwards compatible with the physical copy only and isn't on the Xbox store.

I had to go out and to buy it recently myself.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
It isn't on there.

Why can't you play Doom 2016? Stuck with last gen?

The only "current" platforms I currently own are a Wii U, a 3DS, and an iMac. My iMac is five years old so it doesn't have the hardware to play Doom even on its lowest settings, I would guess.

Neiteio

I liked how that run wasn't super refined because of how new the game was. He had some genuine close calls, even very late in the game.

I usually like watching streams of ultra nightmare attempts if the guy is good, because you never know how far he'll get. A lot of UNM streams are boring because the guy often dies within the first two levels, though.
Yeah, I can see it being a lot of fun to follow someone streaming an Ultra Nightmare attempt live. :)

I'm loving this game, but man, what the fuck is with the progression breaking glitches in this game?? The first was after killing a brutal wave of enemies that was supposed to trigger an elevator to drop in the middle of the room. I had to restart the entire checkpoint because the elevator doors wouldn't open.

And just now I've had to restart another encounter wave because these big gates won't open and the battle music is still playing, so I can only guess that one of the enemies has clipped through the geometry or something.

Like I said. I love the game. But this shit really sours the experience for me.

mokeyjoe

I'm noticing another glitch associated with the holograms. I think it is anyway. Sometimes when I'm running around shooting things with SSG and dropping holograms it refuses to shoot or use equipment. This goes on for about 5 seconds and then it will suddenly catch up with my input and fire. Weird.

Docpan

Just to be clear, there is no real "new game plus" right??

I want to start over on Ultra Violence but keep my progress and gun upgrades.

It seems I can manually go back mission by mission but it seems to be skipping cutscenes And checkpoint progress isn't saved.... So basically it's not the same experience for me

I started in slot 2 but lost all my shit.

What's the best way to replay...?

Moff

It seems I can manually go back mission by mission but it seems to be skipping cutscenes And checkpoint progress isn't saved.... So basically it's not the same experience for me

honestly I'd recommend a new run on nightmare, it's much more intense.

mokeyjoe

Yeah - that's the only way to play it back with your upgrades. Otherwise you need to start a new game.

Neiteio

You can replay any completed mission at any of the first three difficulty levels, regardless of what difficulty you originally completed them on. So if you beat it on Hurt Me Plenty, you can replay any mission on Ultra Violence with all of your gear and upgrades.

All of the cutscenes except for the prologue should still be there on replaying earlier missions.

Docpan

Yeah - that's the only way to play it back with your upgrades. Otherwise you need to start a new game.

But doesn't even save checkpoints?? Skips shit?

Seems like wasted opportunity. I put a lot of time into grinding my weapons and I feel like the game ended too early for me, but I don't want to start from scratch again.

Listening.. Id?

This game made me play Quake again. Quake is still incredible. What a damn game. Thank you id software.
It made me do the same thing, although I forgot that the shortcut on my desktop didn't link to the source port I had installed so it launched WinQuake instead. Went through all of Episode 1 in a 800x600 window. That was a hell of a thing.

Also made me replay Doom 1 and 2, and the latter I was finally able to get through without cheats and next to no internet help. Absorbing that much Doom in a short span of time finally made me catch onto the ways in which Doom 2's levels were intricate and get through them smoothly.

Man, I can't stop thinking about this game, and it's given me reason to go back through all the other good shooters I have installed on my PC. Maybe I'll just redbox it again this weekend and try my hand at Nightmare difficulty.

Theorymon

Maybe its just me being stupid, but whenever I go to Snap Maps, I can't find the search function. Is it not available to people without Playstation Plus or something? >_>

Otherwise, so far this is actually my favorite game of the year! So glad to have a good Doom game again!

Izuna

Banned
I'm noticing another glitch associated with the holograms. I think it is anyway. Sometimes when I'm running around shooting things with SSG and dropping holograms it refuses to shoot or use equipment. This goes on for about 5 seconds and then it will suddenly catch up with my input and fire. Weird.

YES!

I had this problem all the damn time. It never caused me to die but it wouldn't let you shoot or do anything. One of the reasons why I'm not going to play UN atm haha

Check out this classic Doom HUD I mocked up (with a hint of Wolfenstein for good measure!)

Imagine having this as an option in game haha!

DsodlYg.jpg

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
All I need for the platinum is to complete the first mission on Ultra-Nightmare, how bad could that be?

Pretty fucking bad it turns out

bidguy

Banned
All I need for the platinum is to complete the first mission on Ultra-Nightmare, how bad could that be?

Pretty fucking bad it turns out

wat

i run through the first mission in about 5 minutes whenever i try ultra nightmare

foundry is when it gets tough

Top Bottom