• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Raptor

8c2.jpg
Best main character Eva!!!

Thats the second time i say that lols.

psychotron

That second boss was a dick. Such a huge health pool.

On another note, I tried to play COD tonight and I felt like my feet were glued to the ground. Doom has me spoiled.

Neiteio

That second boss was a dick. Such a huge health pool.

On another note, I tried to play COD tonight and I felt like my feet were glued to the ground. Doom has me spoiled.
I think DOOM has ruined most first-person shooters for me. Not only the smooth movement (running, mantling, double-jumping), but also the tempo of battle with its aggressive enemies that chase you, no reloading or ADS, and no reliance on cover. After DOOM, few shooters can compare in the fun department.

Coming to Overwatch after this game.... woof! I can't shake how perfect the controls in Doom jived with me!

Overwatch is great too but it doesn't have demon massacring so it can never be better

Zomba13

I think DOOM has ruined most first-person shooters for me. Not only the smooth movement (running, mantling, double-jumping), but also the tempo of battle with its aggressive enemies that chase you, no reloading or ADS, and no reliance on cover. After DOOM, few shooters can compare in the fun department.

Doom is like a game from an alternate universe, a universe where people didn't become obsessed with CoD and aiming down sights and realistic military shit and regenerating health. It's form a universe where people looked at Doom 1 and 2 and said "You know, these games are pretty sweet. We should keep making games fast paced like this" and then they did, for generations, and then Bethesda/id opened up a portal (not unlike the plot of Doom) to this alternate universe and stole this Doom.

Now we just have to wait for the devs to go too far in their quest for Argent Energy FPS games and we get invaded by the hell spawn.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Coming to Overwatch after this game.... woof! I can't shake how perfect the controls in Doom jived with me!

Overwatch is great too but it doesn't have demon massacring so it can never be better
Every FPS dev should study the controls for this game. I can't believe how precise it is on a controller.

jediyoshi

Doom is like a game from an alternate universe, a universe where people didn't become obsessed with CoD and aiming down sights and realistic military shit and regenerating health. It's form a universe where people looked at Doom 1 and 2 and said "You know, these games are pretty sweet. We should keep making games fast paced like this" and then they did, for generations, and then Bethesda/id opened up a portal (not unlike the plot of Doom) to this alternate universe and stole this Doom.

It's also a false dichotomy, because moneybags businessmen would dictate then we'd just be oversaturated with this instead of that.

Ionic

Check out this classic Doom HUD I mocked up (with a hint of Wolfenstein for good measure!)

Imagine having this as an option in game haha!

Very nice. It always baffled me that neither this nor the new Wolfenstein had an option to use a classic face HUD.

Izuna

Banned
Every FPS dev should study the controls for this game. I can't believe how precise it is on a controller.

- No real analogue movement, completely digital
- Poor deadzone etc. causing used controllers to WALK in a particular direction and get stuck at that speed
- Weapon switching confusing, with the weapon wheel changing the 'next' weapon in the quick select, as opposed to replacing it. (imagine picking up a plasma pistol in Halo for it to replace the weapon that is stored)
- Numerous bugs such as pressing Y from the BFG causing one of your weapons in the quick change to be replaced with a Combat Shotgun or Assault Rifle, but not when you press the BFG button
- Look Smoothing being on with such a large percentage by default

no way

Is the super shotgun worth investing in? The clusterbomb effect of the regular one is pretty good.

Max it out as soon as you can! That gun is like the butter and butter when it comes to dealing with the hordes. Its final upgrade will proves its usefulness in later chapters of the game. I never touched the regular shotgun again after I got my hands on it..lol

Very nice. It always baffled me that neither this nor the new Wolfenstein had an option to use a classic face HUD.

Same here. Even if it was in the form of some easter egg or something. Maybe they figure with the alternate firing modes for the guns it'd be too cramped to fit it all into a classic styled HUD, I don't know. Either way, it'd look sweet.

Also, what if BJ Blazkowicz IS the Doom Slayer! o_O

Neiteio

The controls/movement in DOOM are so smooth that when I'm done clearing out an arena of all its demons and loot, I'll just run laps around the place, darting across platforms and mantling obstacles and double-jumping for no reason other than that it FEELS SO GOOD :)

mokeyjoe

The controls/movement in DOOM are so smooth that when I'm done clearing out an arena of all its demons and loot, I'll just run laps around the place, darting across platforms and mantling obstacles and double-jumping for no reason other than that it FEELS SO GOOD :)

Yeah totally. Love aiming down and shooting demons from above as I leap over their heads. Heat blasted a Hellknight to bits as we were both soaring towards each other in mid-air just now. Just cos I could.

Upgraded Air Mobility, Savagery (faster GKs), and Blood Fuelled runes. I like to move around fast. Turned the sensitivity up to max now. I'm a tornado of death.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Platinum get!

Had to take a break from the Ultra Nightmare mission for a bit but it wasn't too bad once I returned. Just very much not how I want to play this game.

A big issue with game developers and publishers is that so many of them want to copy other games that are doing well. People made Doom clones for a while. Half-Life kicked off a bunch of linear games with more narrative focus. Medal of Honor and Call of Duty caused us to get tons of WWII games. I can't remember which games had ADS before it, but I'm guessing Modern Warfare''s massive success was what caused everyone to switch to modern day with ADS and slap ranking systems into their multiplayer modes. Titanfall introduced us to near future with wall running and such, and now all the CoD games do that.

There's very little out there like Doom these days, and gamers are loving it because it feels refreshing. Battlefield 1's trailer generated tons of positive attention, mostly because it's going for a setting that's relatively untouched. People don't want 15 of the same game, they want 15 different games. While I would like to see more games like Doom, I don't want all shooters to go that way. I want variety.

carlsojo

Got pretty far off a Redbox rental. Probably going to buy it eventually. This game has probably some of the best and fastest gameplay.

vaderise

The first level (i don't know if you do it again but i hope so) you teleport into hell was AMAZING! I had a blast during the whole thing.

I'm kind of late saying this, but this game is super awesome. I never play with kb+m ever and I'm doing it here I personally feel thats a real testament to the game. I definitely don't need every shooter to be like this from now on, but hopefully it will bring about less corridor shooters. I think id deserves a lot of respect for what they've made it takes some serious confidence to put keys and complex maps into a shooter in 2016. I think Zenimax also deserves a shoutout for seemingly having the patience and respect to let their devs do something different with their games. With how risk averse publishers are these days it's something worth applauding.

Izuna

Banned
I wrote a review for this game. I haven't written a game review since forever, but I love it so much I decided to try: https://mtconsidered.co.uk/2016/05/27/single-player-is-the-main-thing-doom-review/

This game is about so much more than just gore and fast action, it takes a franchise from its long slumber to revolt against the scripted and normalised culture of first-person shooters these days. It’s a game that says, “what year is it?” and gets a long-overdue hug from fans who remember a single-player experience completely opposite to the tacked-on campaign of modern shooters. Welcome back to Hell, says id Software

m4st4

Finally finished UAC on Ultra Nightmare. Everything looks way too easy now, what a relief. This'll be my first Platinum ever.

d3vnull

Finally finished UAC on Ultra Nightmare. Everything looks way too easy now, what a relief. This'll be my first Platinum ever.

Just finished all the achievements. Finding all the data logs was the hardest part.
The UN UAC took me 4 tries then I had it. Coming from my Nightmare playthrough it wasn't that hard.
Think I'm gonna start a new game now, just can't get enough of it.
ID and Bethesda better come up with a singleplayer addon.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I stopped caring about secrets and I'm having a much better time. I'm searching for obvious things, like upgrades and all that, but I'm not losing any sleep over bonus challenges. What a game. Between this and Overwatch, my first person coordination has gone up significantly.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I tried out the first level in ultra nightmare yesterday and couldn't make it to the end despite several tries. Final encounter did me in. The difficulty jump from Hurt me plenty to that is pretty huge.

Also weird: I picked a new game and it immediately dropped me in the first level proper, without the 'rip & tear' intro. Is that a first game only thing?

Also weird: I picked a new game and it immediately dropped me in the first level proper, without the 'rip & tear' intro. Is that a first game only thing?

Ultra Nightmare does that for some reason. I think it is so you do not have to live out the intro every time you will inevitably die playing it.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Ultra Nightmare does that for some reason. I think it is so you do not have to live out the intro every time you will inevitably die playing it.

Ooh yeah of course, the permadeath. That makes sense, thanks. I do love how it still shows the checkpoint notifications, like the game is mocking you.

I have just got the BFG; how far off the end of the game am I?

I am deciding whether to replay some missions as I have missed a tonne of collectibles / trials. At what point do you get the faster movement? I bet I have missed it.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Ooh yeah of course, the permadeath. That makes sense, thanks. I do love how it still shows the checkpoint notifications, like the game is mocking you.
I've always wondered if those checkpoints still serve a purpose in ultra nightmare. Maybe the saves still work to recover you from crashes?

Neiteio

I've always wondered if those checkpoints still serve a purpose in ultra nightmare. Maybe the saves still work to recover you from crashes?
The checkpoints still apply since you can quit the game and continue from that point later. You're only reset to the very beginning if you get killed.

Raptor

Not playing for a couple of days has made me lose some skills god damn, start of Level 4 is kicking my fucking ass.

Also I could not find a way to enter that "station locked" in Level 3, where all the corpses are hanging with some demonics runes on the floor.

:(

Top Bottom