• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Favorite combos? I'm digging the stun grenade into gauss sniper shot to the belly on the Mancubus.

lol...just followed a trail of blood to find a head in a toilet. Very classy game.

I'm glad I saw someone recommend reading the codex stuff. It's actually well written and occasionally gives you good advice.

Izuna

Banned
It' wont :(

Got ripped appart many times trying to pull it off

You can jump over pinkies very easily. I don't think they ever got me in the actual game, only in the classic levels where you don't have space to jump lol

--

I want to play more of this game, but I don't want to play UN without streaming or something. Damnit. lol -- I would hate to start a new file and have to upgrade my weapons again...

haikira

Finally got a chance to get stuck in again today, and I've just finished it five minutes ago. I could gush over the game, but everything to say as already been said, and better than I could put it. All I'll say is, what a fucking game!

DirtyLarry

Just beat the game a few hours ago.
Been said countless times, but truly the best FPS in a long, long time.

If there is one critique I have for it the ending, boss battle and all, was a bit anti-climatic. Everything else was perfection.

red731

Ultra Nightmare
Just got Rip'd and Teared in first level classic map part after the lever.
giphy.gif

I felt rush but it's like sagging balls into lava.

I can't believe ID has managed to deliver such a thrilling experience in 2016. I honestly thought that they were done as a company and everything I had read, and seen, and even played leading up to the release just intensified my belief. And I have never ever been so happy to be proven wrong.

A special shout out to Glory Kills. I thought they were a terrible idea but it turns out that it allows a much more aggressive style of game-play then even the original Doom provided let alone any FPS made in the past 15 years.

Izuna

Banned
so there's this elevator in Mission 2... that if you run into before it stops, it kills you

-- start of Mission 3

ah well

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
The secrets in this game are really well hidden. I haven't found a single classic map unlock yet, and I explore levels quite a bit. I even just tried replaying the very first level to find one and looked all over for ages but still nothing. Also that upgrade that supposedly indicates when secrets are nearby was a complete waste. Even when I find secrets I never see anything give me any indication it's near.

lazygecko

The secrets in this game are really well hidden. I haven't found a single classic map unlock yet, and I explore levels quite a bit. I even just tried replaying the very first level to find one and looked all over for ages but still nothing. Also that upgrade that supposedly indicates when secrets are nearby was a complete waste. Even when I find secrets I never see anything give me any indication it's near.

The classic map entrances are unlocked by pulling big vertical levels. They can be pretty hard to distinguish from the surrounding environment and will often be hidden in plain sight.

mokeyjoe

The classic map entrances are unlocked by pulling big vertical levels. They can be pretty hard to distinguish from the surrounding environment and will often be hidden in plain sight.

Yeah, I didn't know to look for levers at first. Still haven't found any beyond the first three levels through.

TheXbox

Finished the game, now I can't resume mid-mission progress if I quit out in the middle of a mission. Bug or a dumb design fluke?

Just picked this up, should I do Ultra-Violence or Nightmare for my first play through? Which one will be the better experience? I don't mind a challenge.

bidguy

Banned
I've always wondered if those checkpoints still serve a purpose in ultra nightmare. Maybe the saves still work to recover you from crashes?

nope when you quit it deletes your file, if you dashboard or remove power it corrupts the file

Flipyap

Finished the game, now I can't resume mid-mission progress if I quit out in the middle of a mission. Bug or a dumb design fluke?
Dumb design fluke.

Just after reaching the first Hell level, but wondering, is there a New Game+ after you complete it?
There's no NG+, but you can replay any level the moment you beat it, keeping all of your weapons and upgrades. You can't save while replaying levels that way and if you're not playing on Nightmare already, you can only go up to Ultra-Violence on that save file.

Izuna

Banned
Just picked this up, should I do Ultra-Violence or Nightmare for my first play through? Which one will be the better experience? I don't mind a challenge.

Personally did Nightmare myself. Once you get past the first level it just gets easier from there on. I imagine that if you decent at these sorts of games, Ultra Violence will be a walk in the park.

However, if you are planning on doing two runs, playing through Nightmare the second time around feels like you have more to do.

All I have let is... Ultra Nightmare... :| Endurance isn't my thing.

KrisB

Finished my first playthrough in the Ultra Violence difficulty. Holy shit, intense from start to finish.

Can't wait for a sequel and also gets me excited for the next Wolfenstein.

Cudder

This game really put me in the mood for older style FPS games. I think I should re-download The Old Blood and try to platinum it like I did with The New Order.

.la1n

I stopped caring about secrets and I'm having a much better time. I'm searching for obvious things, like upgrades and all that, but I'm not losing any sleep over bonus challenges. What a game. Between this and Overwatch, my first person coordination has gone up significantly.

I only casually searched for secrets first play through. It makes the second play through of levels more enjoyable since I have a new goal besides just beating them.

Ecto311

If you step down the difficulty does it matter for achievements? This shit is insane and I don't have the time to fuckin do levels over and over and over or the time to get good.

I was thinking of doing a full playthrough of Ultra Violence and was wondering how much of a difference there is in encounters. Like is there more enemies and a shake up in enemy placement, or is it just that you die easier? I just got all the achievements in the game and was kind of surprised by how easy it was given how hardcore this game is, and i want to put another play through in.

bidguy

Banned
I was thinking of doing a full playthrough of Ultra Violence and was wondering how much of a difference there is in encounters? Like is there more enemy's and a shake up in enemy placement, or is it just that you die easier? I just got all the achievements in the game and was kind of surprised by how easy it was given how hardcore this game is, and i want to put another play through in.

its the same

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I was thinking of doing a full playthrough of Ultra Violence and was wondering how much of a difference there is in encounters. Like is there more enemies and a shake up in enemy placement, or is it just that you die easier? I just got all the achievements in the game and was kind of surprised by how easy it was given how hardcore this game is, and i want to put another play through in.

You want something a bit more challenging? Play Nightmare mode (regular, not ultra).

If you step down the difficulty does it matter for achievements? This shit is insane and I don't have the time to fuckin do levels over and over and over or the time to get good.

Nope:
Knee-Deep in the Dead
Complete the campaign on 'I'm Too Young to Die', 'Hurt Me Plenty', 'Ultra Violence', or 'Nightmare'.

You know a game is good when you start it up only intending to play for a few minutes to kill some time, and end up playing for two and a half hours.

Neiteio

You can turn down the difficulty without penalty. There is only one achievement for completing the game, and you get it regardless of what difficulty level you use.

Also, once a mission is completed, you can replay it at any of the first three difficulty levels, regardless of which difficulty you completed them at originally.

The Flash

Banned
You can turn down the difficulty without penalty. There is only one achievement for completing the game, and you get it regardless of what difficulty level you use.

Also, once a mission is completed, you can replay it at any of the first three difficulty levels, regardless of which difficulty you completed them at originally.

Use this

Gu2sPND.png

jett

D-Member
What's with that ending.

This game was pretty friggin' badass, but man I didn't expect the game to end there.

AlStrong

Is there a bug on argent tower about not counting secrets properly? It says I'm missing #6 for some reason.

Thought I read something early in the thread or one of them about it.

Top Bottom