• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Onemic

Im very impressed by the game so far, holy shit. The game plays exactly like the vulcan demo, really fast, real visceral. Turn the glory kill highlights off and the game feels almost perfect. Captures the essence of doom far better than Doom 3 did. Imp AI is great and they do their best to confuse and flank you. Im currently finished the first level and all my fears about it being a pure arena to arena shooter has been put to rest. the level design is like the doom games, lots to explore and secrets are everywhere encouraging you to search the map. It was only the first level too, so I wouldnt be suyrprised if the game gets even more open with the exploration like Doom 1/2.

As someone that was extremely cynical about the game until the vulcan demo, I gotta tip my hats off to Id here. Theyve done a fantastic job thus far.

epmode

You can change em on the fly when you unlock both for each wep

How did I even unlock the mod? Walking into that drone thing? I suppose they're hidden later to encourage exploration.

Is it possible to unlock every single weapon mod in a single playthrough?

Allrighty - quick impressions before I head to bed. The game resembles the insanity of Brutal Doom - it's fast, it's gory and ( best of all ) it seems to be a ton of fun to play. There's this 'oomph' to the gameplay that I really dig. In one word, it's intense.

Can't wait to play more tomorrow.

Game is good guys and girls. REALLY good! I'm only 3 levels in but it has a "feel" to it that I just love. Really feels old school Doom but updated for today. So far so good!

Onemic

Has anyone had a chance to try the MP? Since Im on VPN and my free trial expired Im stuck playing the campaign and snap map exclusively in steam offline mode. I fiddled a bit with snap map but not fully, so im unsure how robust it will be.

Quikies83

In the alpha and beta there really wasn't any hit feedback from shots. Is this still the case?
Any free for all mode in multiplayer?

ironDUKE

Neo Member
watching the streams I sense this highly visceral combat gameplay to be reminiscent of Ninja Gaiden

60 fps
tons of demons
tons of demonic imagery
lots of mobility and precise gameplay (on nightmare it pushes you to play like quake arena)
glory kills like brutal finishers in NG2
what i saw of the boss fights looks similar too
hyper aggressive/adrenaline rush music (some of it reminds me of sonic mayhem's Q2 <3 there is not enough of it sadly Q_Q)
gorgeous visual style (stylewise, monsters could be bit more disturbing and scary than plain coollooking beastdemons imho but they look very very good overall)

this all in a good way, its a kind of classic approach to high-octane action gaming that has not been executed with this much care in a while afaiac

makes me really want to see if this could be pushed even further with giving the player even more mobility, defensive and offensive options, maintain or increase number and diversity of enemies keep the graphics on this level of TLC and give me more of this effin music!!!!
Props to ID Software

Moff

it's absolutely spectacular

I expected a doom update, but this game has incredible fun and fresh gameplay mechanics, stellar HUGE level design with tons of secrets and a several very motivating meta upgrade systems. and that is all besides the visceral and satisfying combat.

I wowed, absolutely GOTY material.

Moff

the secrets in this game are ultra hard

looking for a way to get in a secret area I was running through the level like an idiot for 20minutes until I noticed a very short interaction prompt behind some barells.
there was a fucking hidden lever I could pull.
I didn't even know I could pull levers.
and the door to a classic doom map opened.

this game

Is there a way to select levels somehow? I must have missed tons of stuff

the map with all the collectibles is really great and so motivating to really explore those fantastically designer vertical levels.

and the several upgrade systems, damn. this game is something else.

so much more than I expected.

The1Ski

Im very impressed by the game so far, holy shit. The game plays exactly like the vulcan demo, really fast, real visceral. Turn the glory kill highlights off and the game feels almost perfect. Captures the essence of doom far better than Doom 3 did. Imp AI is great and they do their best to confuse and flank you. Im currently finished the first level and all my fears about it being a pure arena to arena shooter has been put to rest. the level design is like the doom games, lots to explore and secrets are everywhere encouraging you to search the map. It was only the first level too, so I wouldnt be suyrprised if the game gets even more open with the exploration like Doom 1/2.

As someone that was extremely cynical about the game until the vulcan demo, I gotta tip my hats off to Id here. Theyve done a fantastic job thus far.

Impressions like these might just sway me.

I'm going to rent on PS4 then buy (if worthy) on PC

msv

Tried it for a bit, not that much though. Initial impression is 50/50. Better than I expected though. Movement speed is nice, you can set FOV to 130 (yasss!), looks really good, runs smooth, and you can turn almost everything off (compass, mission mentions and stuff), so it plays nice and clean with all that stuff off.

I don't like the enemy mix that I've seen so far - zombies, imps, and what, plasma zombies? Imps are cool, they move and throw balls, works well. The plasma zombies however, dunno, they're really a nuisance, pretty much the same as imps just not as mobile and take more damage. The zombies, yeah, they're just fodder, might as well not be there gameplay wise.

As for guns, only tried the pistol and the shotgun so far. Pistol is pistol, annoying that it's not hitscan, but ok. The shotgun feels far too weak though. You have to get real up and close to one shot even a normal zombie. At a any distance beyond like 3m it's useless, wasting ammo more or less.

The levels so far have been completely linear, just arenas connected to one another. But again, still like, the second level I think? So I'm hoping that that will change. Don't like the enemy wave mechanism / getting locked in rooms until you kill all enemies. Does that change? I loved it in Doom where you run up and suddenly there's a ton of enemies and you go like 'oh shit' and then you retreat. Don't like the imps hiding / enemies showing up once you enter the 'arena', feels so artificial.

Also, the music is not yet really there. Between 'action' it's just ambiance really. Does the music kick in after the initial levels?

commissar

There's something about the cadence of Samuel's speech at the start of the Beginning of the End level, which coupled with the underlying tense, cycling baseline is just so hyping/satisfying.

And how the audio ducks for the one-two melee punches and rolls right back on the beat.

And how the gore and giblets and knockback make the weapons feel so much better than the MP beta.

Loving it. So damn good.

Derekor

All I have to say is holy crap!

I was hyped for this game but now that I've played it.... This is freaking amazing!! The level design, monster designs, graphics, gunplay, speed, secrets.. I could go on. This coming from a 90s original DOOM/DOOM 2 gamer.

Anyone who is on the fence - do yourself a favour and buy DOOM. Seriously. GOTY

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
1463092059843.png

seriously, id?

Mission

Oh gawd. I had switched completely to Amazon because of Prime for about a year now. Maybe back to Best Buy club instead.

Not so fast...

I pre-ordered through BestBuy.ca so I could get the Doomguy FunkoPop but my shipping notice says it won't get here till Tuesday. So I bought it on Steam for the Old Blood this morning and I'll return the shipped copy when it arrives. I'm not done reaming them out yet.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck sake I'm on the first level and I can't find the lever for the secret door lol. Only the first level so can't really make any judgements but so far so good, is just a joy to play at least.

PC version. Played 2+ hours straight, no doubt for this DOOM any more. This is FAR better than horror DOOM3.

i7-3770 + R9-380, default Medium to High setting runs at 60fps like butter.

Robot Pants

Great. Now I gotta update my PC.
PS4 version probably not all that spectacular right? Plus it's Doom, I feel id be doing it injustice playing on a controller.

Top Bottom