• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Onemic

1463092059843.png

seriously, id?

I used to be a marine like you, then I took an arrow to the knee.

Anung

Un Rama
Im gonna wait on my Wolfenstein homies to give impressions before I get too excited.

Please be good Doom!

Wolfenstein was my GOTY 2014 and this is making me feel a similar way. The old school meets new balance is really well handled and one level in particular could fit into Wolfenstien perfectly
a level where you cross a bridge and up a tower.

Still curious how it'll review.

sueil

From watching videos this looks like a game that I cannot understand playing with a controller.

Has anyone tried the console versions?

MiguelItUp

From watching videos this looks like a game that I cannot understand playing with a controller.

Has anyone tried the console versions?
I played the alpha on XB1 and it was just fine! It actually handled really well. Though I prefer KB/M.

So as someone who really likes Halo, Unreal Tournament, Resistance 1 but never played Doom, is this a hard shooter to get into? Looks fun but not sure if it's for a particular crowd.

I'm sure this has been asked a ton but is the Xbox version OK? I'm fine with 900p or lower res than PS4, I just can't do screen tearing. gotta have the elite controller for this tbh.

are there any comparisons out there for consoles?

So the game overall isn't the glorious amazing perfect 10 product, but it's probably the best Id game overall since Doom 2. It's very very good even if the hit feedback isn't as strong as I'd like it to be. Perhaps we'll be able to shoot off the arms of a Mancubus in the next game.

Also you go really fast when you have the upgrades for it, and at that point it's pretty hard not to call it a worthy Doom Game especially when you're doing mid air turnarounds and blowing things to pieces with the gauss cannon. Not to mention the rather nice mick gordon sound track, though I'm somewhat disappointed following the KI killer cuts. That being said, the dynamic escalation is always neat. It's probably going to be the shooter of the year unless something comes out of nowhere like Splatoon.

Glory kills aren't nearly as intrusive as they seem to appear, animations are snappy enough to make it work. I like the large number of animations they seem to have, even death animations are nice.

Even if the multiplayer seems to be a bit of a mess, the single player looks quite solid to purchase on its own.

JoeFenix

I'm getting conflicting reports about being able to start on Nightmare difficulty. Someone with the PC version said you could but people with the console versions are saying it's greyed out?

Could anyone with the PS4 version please let me know if Nightmare is available right from the get go?

Would really suck to have to go through the game on Ultra-Violence just to unlock Nightmare.

Wondering if I should pick up this or Uncharted 4. The big question is how does this compare to Wolfenstein The New Order? Because I idolise that game.

Edit: Can't believe reviews aren't out yet. I know this happens quite often but this is the first time it's happened to a game I care about.

Wondering if I should pick up this or Uncharted 4. The big question is how does this compare to Wolfenstein The New Order? Because I idolise that game.

Think Wolfenstein's slick and fun combat with few if any of the issues. I greatly enjoyed Uncharted 4, but Doom brings me back in some ways and it's really exciting in others. It's a joyful blend of modern and older design that works well with each other.

You might not be nearly as enthralled by the narrative since its so out of the way, but the gameplay is really frikin good man.

Onemic

I'm sure this has been asked a ton but is the Xbox version OK? I'm fine with 900p or lower res than PS4, I just can't do screen tearing. gotta have the elite controller for this tbh.

are there any comparisons out there for consoles?

People say the X1 version has tearing

AlphaDump

Gold Member

Edit: Can't believe reviews aren't out yet. I know this happens quite often but this is the first time it's happened to a game I care about.

I went ahead and got both because it is inevitable.

Uncharted 4 comes after though. I've been waiting for a new DOOM for years.

Mupod

been playing for a bit now. I've resisted the urge to unlock the scanning upgrades but I missed one secret despite exploring as best I could.

playing it myself reinforces how much I don't understand how they've shown off this game until now. The initial reveal should have shown what the game is like on ultraviolence with mouse and keyboard controls. This doesn't even feel like the same game as the terrible multiplayer alpha/beta I played on PS4.

but yeah I'm ok with this so far.

archvile7

Also you go really fast when you have the upgrades for it, and at that point it's pretty hard not to call it a worthy Doom Game especially when you're doing mid air turnarounds and blowing things to pieces with the gauss cannon. .

But...Doom has never been about any of these things :(

You are confusing it with Quake.

Panda Rin

Nice to see the positive impressions after the mediocre multiplayer beta. Will consider it now since I enjoyed the Wolfenstein reboot.

DirtyLarry

Damn I should not have read this thread as I am really, really trying to beat Uncharted 4 first (On Chapter 18), as I just do not want to play 2 games at the same time, but I feel like I cannot resist playing this game tomorrow.

AND I have it on both the PS4 and PC. Basically I thought I would hold off on my new Gaming PC until my Oculus arrived, but I did not, and I just could not play Doom on the console if I had a capable Gaming PC. Problem was I already preordered it digitally.
So ID can thank me for two purchases. Shame as I might not even touch the PS4 version, but I do own it.

FUCK. Going to be so hard not checking it out.

Top Bottom