• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Everything else is too slow.

Oh god. I made the mistake of attempting some Dark Souls 3 the other day and had to turn it off. I knew the framerate was bad but good lord it's unbearable after playing Doom for the last week.

edit: NOooooOoo double post, meant to add this in as an edit! The shame...

Finally got a chance to get stuck in again today, and I've just finished it five minutes ago. I could gush over the game, but everything to say as already been said, and better than I could put it. All I'll say is, what a fucking game!
What a fucking game indeed. Still can't believe how much fun they were able to make this.

Any chance the DLC will turn into single player? The multiplayer is not something I'd fire up this game for.

DirtyLarry

Quick question for clarification.
Even though I beat the game I can still use Mission Select and keep all my current progress right?
I am pretty sure this is the case since the option to choose Mission Select is still there, I just do not want to lose anything.

mokeyjoe

Even though I beat the game I can still use Mission Select and keep all my current progress right?
I am pretty sure this is the case since the option to choose Mission Select is still there, I just do not want to lose anything.

Yes you can go back and find more stuff and carry on upgrading with the mission select.

Correct, you can replay the mission select levels without resetting your current progress.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
You have to find them in the main game first. Warning though, it is just 13 classic levels from Doom 1&2 with Doom 4 weapons and enemas enemies.

I've found a number of the secret levers, not all of them, but I can't seem to find how to play the levels? Do I need to find ALL of them before it unlocks?

Finally made it to
Hell
in my Nightmare playthrough, about a 1/4 or so through the level so far.

Loving the increased difficulty, you really have to play this something like Quake mixed with Doom 2.

Which is funny because Quake is basically Doom 2 with verticality.

Izuna

Banned
I've found a number of the secret levers, not all of them, but I can't seem to find how to play the levels? Do I need to find ALL of them before it unlocks?

You need to also go into a classic room. The levels simply open a door leading to one, and when you walk inside it unlocked the level. Run back and look for the doors.

Edit: I want to play more of this game but I... I can't bring myself to find purpose in anything other than Ultra Nightmare :(

Doom never scratches that itch like Wolf did.

Stoze

Dat name change tho.

But yeah, I had more trouble finding the fucking doors than levers.

Really? After you reveal the automap for a level, the door is just basically wherever there's gray unexplored area on your map having cleared everything else out.

Really? After you reveal the automap for a level, the door is just basically wherever there's gray unexplored area on your map having cleared everything else out.

I'm bad at finding shit likes this lol.

I get lost in Quake and Doom II all the fucking time.

Fuck me, I am suddenly having flashbacks to getting Kerotans for MGS3.

KingV

You know a game is good when you start it up only intending to play for a few minutes to kill some time, and end up playing for two and a half hours.

That happened to me tonight. "Oh, I'll just play one level and then go for a run".... 5 hours later I finally make dinner.

Just beat it on Nightmare on PS4. Turned off all forms of notifications and monster glow effects from the beginning. Like so many other people, I was blown away by this game. Dying was practically a reward knowing I could repeat the same fight over and over-- the combat was just that good.

In general, I'm not a fan of games that are so micro-focused. I typically like games with broad objectives and long term consequences. So it surprised me that I enjoyed this new Doom so much since it felt like a hundred mini-games jammed together-- really just a string of amazingly directed fights. But it's nothing like old Doom (or old game design) where the longer you lived the more powerful you were to face future challenges-- and I missed that. But the moment-to-moment action was so uniquely excellent that it just steamrolled through any other disappointments I had and brute-forced its way to being one of my favorite FPS games. It's a high quality work of art all around.

I want to play more, but the only bigger challenge is ultra nightmare. No can do. If there was a mode that had you restart the level after death I'd give that a serious shot. But the whole game? Not for me. Have fun, twitch streamers.

I can't wait for episode 2. It's gotta happen. You can't make groundbreaking fast-paced FPS combat with story-based hints of a sequel and not follow it up...

StillEdge

You can turn down the difficulty without penalty. There is only one achievement for completing the game, and you get it regardless of what difficulty level you use.

Also, once a mission is completed, you can replay it at any of the first three difficulty levels, regardless of which difficulty you completed them at originally.
Wait. Then why the fuck am I playing on nightmare?! This shit is so hard. I'm already knee deep on mission 6. No point in turning it down now.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Oh god. I made the mistake of attempting some Dark Souls 3 the other day and had to turn it off. I knew the framerate was bad but good lord it's unbearable after playing Doom for the last week.
I play Fallout 4 and CS:GO - as much as I love those games, the change in pace is palpable.

Wait. Then why the fuck am I playing on nightmare?! This shit is so hard. I'm already knee deep on mission 6. No point in turning it down now.

Mick Gordon's here to help!

I hope for Doom 2 they go full 90's for the multiplayer after the success of the first one.

The ingredients are certainly there in this Doom, but you could tell they didn't feel secure enough to go through with it and had to put some COD elements to try to please everyone.

MazeHaze

Banned
Man I really need to rip and tear myself away from Overwatch to finish this sumbitch. I always intend to get back to it, but then I drink a few beers while playing Overwatch and by the time I'm done I'm just a little bit too tipsy to stand a chance against the hordes.

xrnzaaas

I don't have a lot of time this month to play video games so I've just finished the Argent Tower level. Man, we need more vertical levels in shooters, it was awesome. :)

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Completed the game earlier today, can't remember the last time I enjoyed a fps as much as I did this one, was such an adrenline rush.

Decided to make a short video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA9D32aEO00

Oh man that's great. I love it when a demon protects his face with his arm against the chainsaw. A couple of enemy types do that, makes the kill even more satisfying.

The animation team doing those glory kills did an amazing job. There's just so many of them and they all look/feel incredibly satisfying.

Completed the game earlier today, can't remember the last time I enjoyed a fps as much as I did this one, was such an adrenline rush.

Decided to make a short video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA9D32aEO00
Good trailer. I love to make fan trailers for things from time to time (though for DooM all I did was redo all the foley sound in an existing trailer with classic DooM SFX).
When I watched it, it had 1 like and 2 dislikes. You got enemies here?

.. I need to use the chainsaw more. I'm much to conservative in hoarding it.

So, just got back from my first trip to hell. How much game is left?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
this game is crashing to desktop way, way too often. It's happened to me twice today, both times mid-encounter on a mouse press. Super lame.

RangerX

Banned
When do you get different types of grenades and equipment? I'm on the first hell level and I've still got the explosive grenade you pick up near the start.

pmj

The rune trial where you can only move for three seconds after a kill is seriously fucked up.

I invariably get into positions where an imp will be at the other side of the room lobbing fireballs at my stuck self where can barely see it and definitely can't hit it, or the enemies that spawn in are blocked from sight and the timer runs out.

Edit: and after a whole lot of attempts, I of course got it on the very next one. The one where I had sat down with pen and paper and actually started drawing a map while the timer was counting down, on which I intended to mark spawn locations. I just managed to get into a corner where every enemy either spawned in or ran into. Glad I don't have to do this again.

Top Bottom