• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Collectibles help please: if I'm on chapter 3 and I wanna go back to 1 or 2 to gather some missing secrets, will the game save them or do I have to gather them in other run of the game?

pmj

Collectibles help please: if I'm on chapter 3 and I wanna go back to 1 or 2 to gather some missing secrets, will the game save them or do I have to gather them in other run of the game?

You can go back and get the secrets. Everything like that carries over.

Sojgat

Just fell in some lava...

vyNuWPC.gif

This game is amazing.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Never shared pics of the press kit I got, so here you go:

2 shirts, a steelcase (useless since I got a steam key lol), 3 pins, assault rifle metal keychain, cacodemon squeeze toy, and a card reader. There were also 2 small posters, but I already threw those out along with the card reader.

The Flash

Banned

2 shirts, a steelcase (useless since I got a steam key lol), 3 pins, assault rifle metal keychain, cacodemon squeeze toy, and a card reader. There were also 2 small posters, but I already threw those out along with the card reader.

I want it

Neiteio

I need that cacodemon squeeze toy

orborborb

I'm already not able to find games of Freeze Tag on the PC (my favorite multiplayer mode in years). Anyone know if there's still people playing that mode on PS4 or Xbox One?

I'm already not able to find games of Freeze Tag on the PC (my favorite multiplayer mode in years). Anyone know if there's still people playing that mode on PS4 or Xbox One?

Yeah me neither. Still seems like theres plenty of people playing Domination. Sucks if the MP is already dying

Why is there no Free-for-All (regular deathmatch)?!

Just finished the game for the first time (on Hurt Me Plenty), absolutely loved it. Not quite the classic DOOM, but I think I've come to like it more, and it certainly evokes and oozes DOOM.

I tried to play on Ultra Violence for a while, but I got to a cramped fight (where it locks you in with two Barons of Hell at the end of the fight) that I retried nearly 10 times and gave up, went back to Hurt Me Plenty. I'm scared of what Nightmare will be like.
Hell, I even got stuck on the fight after the train ride on Hurt Me Plenty. And both the
Cyberdemon
and
Spider Mastermind
were darn challenging on that difficulty, too.

I expected
the Spider Mastermind to have a second form, though
. It, the Cacodemons, and the Pinkies are my favorite designs, they look so awesome and detailed and are just absolutely DOOMy.
Really, only the
Cyberdemon
is not that great. Kind of ugly, actually. But the fight made up for it, really fun.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Started the game this morning on Ultra Violence.

Just finished the Foundry. Had to replay it because I only got a 4* combat rating the first time despite killing everything. After some research, I discovered the reason why is because you don't get credit for kills if monsters fall off edges or die from infighting. Kinda kills the fun a bit knowing I might not be able to get the max combat rating if I instigate infighting.

Really loving it so far though. The levels are a little heavy on the pit drops though. Classic Doom always used death pits sparingly, but they're everywhere in this game. Sucks when Doomguy refuses to grab a ledge that's over a pit and you gotta go back to the last checkpoint after exploring a lot.

Ending was pretty disappointing. (Unless there are multiple?) Would have been more satisfying if it turned everything on its head like the rest of the game.

Game was awesome though.

Flipyap

Ending was pretty disappointing. (Unless there are multiple?) Would have been more satisfying if it turned everything on its head like the rest of the game.

Game was awesome though.
I don't know if I'd call it disappointing, since there isn't much story to build up any kind of expectations, but it sure made me feel dumb. I honestly have no idea what Samuel was babbling about or what he was hoping to accomplish, and failing to understand the plot of a Doom game can't possibly be a good sign.

Brain, I'm sorry for whatever I did to you. I hope you get well soon. :(

Neiteio

I don't know if I'd call it disappointing, since there isn't much story to build up any kind of expectations, but it sure made me feel dumb. I honestly have no idea what Samuel was babbling about or what he was hoping to accomplish, and failing to understand the plot of a Doom game can't possibly be a good sign.

Brain, I'm sorry for whatever I did to you. I hope you get well soon. :(
Ending spoilers:

Samuel basically uses his tethering system to tie you up and send you far away, since he can't kill you but doesn't want you to stop him from continuing to frack Hell. It's sequel bait!

lazygecko

Man, feels like it's impossible to find randoms for multiplayer snapmap. Makes the feature seem all the more dead in the water and a waste of development time.

Noticed a fun and random thing today: In Level 3 there's weapon upgrade droid that flies away from you as you approach it. You can actually jump after it and press E and it takes you all the way to its final stop. A little glitchy but still awesome that it works.

NEO0MJ

So, I just got the
BFG.
How far into the game am I?

Also, is it worth upgrading the pistol? I feel like I never run out of ammo for my main weapons so I'm curious if there's a use for it other than when you run out of ammo.

Also, is there a reason to use the regular shotgun over the super shotgun? I feel the later is so much better, especially since I unlocked all its upgrades.

Flipyap

Ending spoilers:

Samuel basically uses his tethering system to tie you up and send you far away, since he can't kill you but doesn't want you to stop him from continuing to frack Hell. It's sequel bait!
The thing that gets me is how he talks about continuing his super important hellnergy research, but the way the animation plays out makes it look like he's going to cut some dudes with his cool new sword. He basically delivers a series of vague non-threats while doing some impressive macho posturing, at least for an anorexic robot.
It felt like watching two different endings at the same time.

biteren

Holy shit dude!! this all should be in the Special edition!!! dammit!!! lol

Tizoc

So, I just got the
BFG.
How far into the game am I?

Also, is it worth upgrading the pistol? I feel like I never run out of ammo for my main weapons so I'm curious if there's a use for it other than when you run out of ammo.

Also, is there a reason to use the regular shotgun over the super shotgun? I feel the later is so much better, especially since I unlocked all its upgrades.

Eh regular Shotgun is good for its explosive shell.
And in the case you ran out of ammo for Super Shotgun for some reason.

Neiteio

The thing that gets me is how he talks about continuing his super important hellnergy research, but the way the animation plays out makes it look like he's going to cut some dudes with his cool new sword. He basically delivers a series of vague non-threats while doing some impressive macho posturing, at least for an anorexic robot.
It felt like watching two different endings at the same time.
That sword is the Crucible. He claimed he would use it to sever the link between the two worlds, but now we see he lied.

NEO0MJ

Eh regular Shotgun is good for its explosive shell.
And in the case you ran out of ammo for Super Shotgun for some reason.

I'd rather just bring out the rocket launcher for that, lol.

And the shotgun and the super shotgun share the same ammo so if one runs out you can't use the other. In fact, all weapons expect for the rocket launcher and the pistol have another weapon that they share ammo with.

I've only played about 10 minutes but holy fucking shit. This is the best feeling shooter I've played in years.

It's so fucking metal!!

And now I have to go out and won't get to play again until tomorrow!!!!!!!!

dhi

Neo Member
Finally through with the campaign. Holy shit what an awesome ride it was. I love it.

Especially at the end
where you ram your BFG in the mouth of this spidermind creature thing felt so satisfying

Please id give us some single player DLC and a proper MP and not this call of doom like loadout and progression thingy.

Flipyap

Bruh.

Seriously if ever DOOM 2016 goes on sale I'll use the 2 vids from this previous page to hype it up.
These gross execution montages would unsell me on the game. Its actual gameplay is so much more exciting than idly watching the game kill monsters for you.

YuShtink

This game just gets better and better. Each level of Hell has been more fun than the last. I had such a smile on my face at the sight of the starting room of Necropolis. It was just so Doom. That entire level had me marking out like a little kid. The whole thing is a love letter to fans of the originals, with just enough modern features to add some variety. The graphics and art seem to get better and better as the game progresses too. Some of the vistas in Hell are breathtaking. Standing under dripping gutters of blood and hearing the thick spatters on the ground is legitimately grotesque. I love all of it.

DirtyLarry

Noticed a fun and random thing today: In Level 3 there's weapon upgrade droid that flies away from you as you approach it. You can actually jump after it and press E and it takes you all the way to its final stop. A little glitch but still awesome that it works.
Yeah I came across that one too. I kept trying to shoot it myself. Old habits I suppose.

Oh my goddddd I started playing this on my PC earlier on today and it's sooo freaking good. Playing this and Overwatch right now is pure gameplay heaven.

Also I've been holding my own in the MP using a controller on PC. Quite impressed with myself lol.

scitek

These gross execution montages would unsell me on the game. Its actual gameplay is so much more exciting than idly watching the game kill monsters for you.
Yeah the executions are just there for show. They don't serve any actual tactical purpose what with how they leave you vulnerable while performing them, and give health and all.

Neiteio

The Glory Kills are a brilliant gameplay addition. Risk vs. Reward. You move in to quickly finish off a tough enemy for health drops and brief i-frames, at the risk of enemies attacking you en route or catching up during the kill.

d00d3n

I bought this game due to all the praise it has been receiving here on gaf, but put it in my backlog after the introduction didn't immediately grab my attention.

I would like to know this: Is there anyone who hated the Serious Sam games, the Shadow Warrior remake, and other expressions of first person shooter nostalgia, but still found DOOM (2016) to be a brilliant game?

Wolfenstein had some of that nostalgia I guess, but it was mixed up with great first person exploration, story sequences and stealth gameplay.

dlauv

I bought this game due to all the praise it has been receiving here on gaf, but put it in my backlog after the introduction didn't immediately grab my attention.

I would like to know this: Is there anyone who hated the Serious Sam games, the Shadow Warrior remake, and other expressions of first person shooter nostalgia, but still found DOOM (2016) to be a brilliant game?

Wolfenstein had some of that nostalgia I guess, but it was mixed up with great first person exploration, story sequences and stealth gameplay.

Yeah, I'm not really a fan of Shadow Warrior and Serious Sam. They feel cheap, janky and shallow.

Painkiller fairs a bit better.

DOOM was great tho. Best shooter since Half-Life 2 for me.

Top Bottom