• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Couldn't think of where else to post this. Have we heard of any other games that runs Vulcan on the PS4? I'm not a technically minded person so I could be wrong and I certainly don't know if this is significant or not. It might not even be saying that but I thought I'd post it for people who know these things:

“I am really excited about a lot of the things we have coming in the future,” Stratton said. “The way [the programmers] architected the engine for the consoles, particularly the PlayStation 4, it sets it up really well to be natively capable on the new Vulkan API for PCs, which is really going to expand the audience.

“When that comes out and those cards come out, with DOOM we have an upcoming release that will be Vulkan supported, it will make your game run really well on older-generation cards and at 200-plus frames a second on the higher-end stuff. And you know it runs really well, really smooth on the consoles on both sides. I’m really proud of our tech team.”

http://fenixbazaar.com/ps4-helped-doom-engine/
Uses GNM on PS4 just as an FYI for everyone in the thread.

mcz117chief

Well, I came back to the game after not playing it for 2 weeks and the plasma rifle animation bug is still there, I guess I will have to accept it and consider it a "feature" :(

Johndoey

Banned
Finished it yesterday, game was good, hell was boring visually, some cool architecture but mostly just dull. Doom Slayer is cool dude.

End game spoilers?
Final boss was pretty good

Ending was pretty bad

I like that they (seemingly) followed the Wolfenstein concept of making everything sorta canon.

Sojgat

I feel all the weapons have a pretty solid use case except the plasma rifle. It's not a bad weapon by any means, but the gauss cannon using the same ammo kind of ruined it.

The way you finish him... holy shit.

Plasma Rifle is one of the most useful guns IMO. Stun bomb essentially freezes enemies and takes down shields. Full upgrade chains damage to all nearby enemies. I find it invaluable in tight situations and have it set as my secondary weapon at almost all times.

Plasma Rifle is one of the most useful guns IMO. Stun bomb essentially freezes enemies and takes down shields. Full upgrade chains damage to all nearby enemies. I find it invaluable in tight situations and have it set as my secondary weapon at almost all times.

I never use the stun bomb. I always use the other one. Run into a group and hit LT and it destroys everyone around you in one shot.

Inked both my favorite shooters on my left arm..no regrets and we just rip and tear in both games in different ways i love it!

https://twitter.com/Nokterian/status/736892936160432128

you my man!

hqdefault.jpg

dlauv

The final boss
flipping upside down and resuming attack
is one of the coolest visual quirks I've seen. I wish they would have done more with it, but really.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I never really ever needed to use the regular shotgun, pistol or machine gun. Before I upgraded the super shotgun, the plasma rifle ripped through most things. The super blast that charges passively once it's fully upgraded wrecks low level and high level enemies, and it recharged in seconds.

Moff

I never really ever needed to use the regular shotgun, pistol or machine gun. Before I upgraded the super shotgun, the plasma rifle ripped through most things. The super blast that charges passively once it's fully upgraded wrecks low level and high level enemies, and it recharged in seconds.

that's why rare ammo is a good thing in this game, makes you use more than just one weapon

BeeDog

Came back to this game after finishing up Uncharted 4 and taking a mini-break from Dark Souls 3. After the less-than-stellar first impression and reaching (level 5/6 spoilers?)
the Argent Facility again after the first trip to Hell
, the game has picked up big time. The first Combat Shotgun is one of the worst-feeling guns in an fps in a long time, so picking up some of the other weapons, unlocking Rune Trials and upgrading the alternative fire modes has increased the enjoyment tenfold. Can't wait to push further.

Mike Golf

Beat on both Hurt Me Plenty and just last night on Nightmare, I honestly feel it shouldn't be played on any less difficulty. Keeps your adrenaline up and head on a swivel at all times and once you upgrade weapons and master movement it's really not that hard.

I too main the SSG for anything but long range, rockets with remote det and gauss with siege are my friends there. Funny thing is I actually haven't taken the time to finish the mastery on it to get the double shot fire, it dominates so much as is. Honestly I love every weapon in this game but put the pistol and basic machine gun at the bottom.

iddqd

Just finished the single player, amazing stuff.

Then thought "I want more" and started the multiplayer.
Left after only a couple of matches..
It actually feels slow and "quiet".

And the announcer, even knowing who they used, is still a let down.
All the high energy turns into a lame fart.

Just finished the single player, amazing stuff.

Then thought "I want more" and started the multiplayer.
Left after only a couple of matches..
It actually feels slow and "quiet".

And the announcer, even knowing who they used, is still a let down.
All the high energy turns into a lame fart.
Go play Snap-Maps.

Am I missing something with all the super shotgun praise? It doesn't seem to do that much more damage than the regular shotgun and you have to reload constantly with it. What makes it so good?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Am I missing something with all the super shotgun praise? It doesn't seem to do that much more damage than the regular shotgun and you have to reload constantly with it. What makes it so good?

Fully upgrade it so that you can double tap and melt large enemies.

lazygecko

With full upgrades you can kill monsters like cacodemons, revenants, and maybe hell knights in 1 single burst.

The Flash

Banned
The more I think about it the more I'm convinced that we'll get some kind of single player dlc or expansion. Every other game in the series did at some point after all.

lazygecko

The nature of the character customization makes it difficult to look significantly more hideous and tasteless than what you already see in most players. But I'll be damned if I didn't give it a good try.

Also, it seems like the multiplayer menu actually runs at higher than normal speed if your framerate is unlocked.

bodine1231

Man all of the anti-aliasing methods for this game suck. No matter what I choose I see horrible jaggies on all the grates and handrails. The only decent option is the last one but it is very blurry.

Completed the game today as well.
Game was really great. Liked how the collectibles were hidden. The ending was anti climatic though. MP is alright, the map count is a little bit small too.

Kadin

Final boss is just making me its bitch over and over. I can get it down to about 25% health remaining but can't get beyond. Anyone wanna throw me a few tips before I completely rage-quit the game and don't come back for like a month? lol

How the hell do I avoid the spikes that come up out of the pedestals I have to stand on to avoid the shocks or whatever from the ground? I get hit by that shit and almost always go into the red and then I'm done shortly after. Also, do face shots do more than just hitting the brain and surrounding areas? I can't seem to see much of a difference.

Protein

Banned
This game reminds me of Metroid Prime. The map. The jumpy space boots platforming. Even the
new Spider Mastermind
reminds me of the
final 'Metroid Prime' boss.

Final boss is just making me its bitch over and over. I can get it down to about 25% health remaining but can't get beyond. Anyone wanna throw me a few tips before I completely rage-quit the game and don't come back for like a month? lol

How the hell do I avoid the spikes that come up out of the pedestals I have to stand on to avoid the shocks or whatever from the ground? I get hit by that shit and almost always go into the red and then I'm done shortly after. Also, do face shots do more than just hitting the brain and surrounding areas? I can't seem to see much of a difference.

If you are low on health use the
BFG and get health packs outta that spider, the brain is the weak point use the cluster cannon or the rocket launcher. Regarding the spikes you have to quickly jump off and change to a differemt pillar.

Kadin

If you are low on health use the
BFG and get health packs outta that spider, the brain is the weak point use the cluster cannon or the rocket launcher. Regarding the spikes you have to quickly jump off and change to a differemt pillar.
Oh, well that makes sense as to why I wasn't doing as much damage as I probably could. I was focusing on his face the entire time. Do the spikes rotate from one pedestal to another? I just seem to always get hit by it no matter where I'm standing.

Oh, well that makes sense as to why I wasn't doing as much damage as I probably could. I was focusing on his face the entire time. Do the spikes rotate from one pedestal to another? I just seem to always get hit by it no matter where I'm standing.

Afaik it only stays at one pillar.

Finished
The Foundry
last night

Great game, but the length of the loading screen after dying is really annoying, especially in the context of the pace of the game

Neiteio

You can chew through the final boss' health rather quickly by doing the following:

Use the Gauss Cannon mod where you aim down a scope (not Siege Mode — the other one). Strafe left or right while sniping the boss' exposed brain. This takes off a decent chunk with each hit. When you're weak, shoot him at point-blank range in the brain with the BFG. Use all your BFG charges on his brain and he'll release health. There are two more BFG charges in the arena. And when he forces you onto the pillars, wait until you see him tethering the pillars with electricity. That means the spikes are about to pop out, which is when it's safe to go back on the ground.

Finished
The Foundry
last night

Great game, but the length of the loading screen after dying is really annoying, especially in the context of the pace of the game

Yeah, the load times are probably my biggest issue with the game. I'm playing it on Ultra Violence and die fairly frequently too.

Finished the game this morning. Just an overall incredible experience and I am so happy to be playing a singleplayer game like this again. It was a blast on PS4 and I cannot wait to rebuy it on PC whenever I decide to get a new machine.

Ending was great and I really really hope this game does really well so we get another.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Completed PC on Ultra Violence last week but grabbed the PS4 copy today for another play through. Safe to say I love this game. Interesting things to note;

1. Steam controller is my favourite controls by far. DS4 ia actually kind of amazing don't get me wrong but I do feel the difference.

2. PS4 does have some slowdown. It's rare and not enough to be bothersome at all but coming from locked 60 on a 970 you do notice.

3. The game is awesome on any platform and you should play it right now. Just do it. Do it. Now.

Playing it a second time is interesting. Firstly don't ignore the grenade, it's fundamental but I hardly toughed it first time. Secondly the order of upgrades makes a big difference. This time I went exploding shotgun rounds and plasma rife stun and encounters have changed completely. Lastly, this game is just straight up amazing and playing it a second time hasn't diminished the fun at all.

Top Bottom