• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

I'm currently playing for the first time on ultra violence. Will I keep my weapons and upgrades for the nightmare walkthrough or is it back to scratch?

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
pretty fun game. probably a solid 8 for me so far (through chapter 7)

the same music over and over again is starting to get on my nerves though. ended up turning it off.

There is different music I think some of the later levels have music that only plays there. I'm not sure how the track selection works because it's dynamic but you might want to turn it on for the later levels. If you aren't really enjoying it though then of course I understand why you would want to turn if off.

mcz117chief

I had company over tonight, and showed this game. One friend kept pointing out all the ways it's "metal as fuck." The Glory Kills are real crowd pleasers. (No my friends are not serial killers — it's just so over the top!)

I must have some kind of censored version since all my glory kills are just one punch or grabbing someone and releasing them after a second.

I am also baffled by people thinking that Doom Guy is just "hurr durr, I don't care about modern gaming" trope, he is obviously a hero trying to save the world from the demons and Hayden.

I must have some kind of censored version since all my glory kills are just one punch or grabbing someone and releasing them after a second.

I am also baffled by people thinking that Doom Guy is just "hurr durr, I don't care about modern gaming" trope, he is obviously a hero trying to save the world from the demons and Hayden.

Try initiating your glory kills at different angles . Looking at there feet , jumping in mid air , from behind . I'm almost done and still finding some unique glory kills .

mcz117chief

Try initiating your glory kills at different angles . Looking at there feet , jumping in mid air , from behind . I'm almost done and still finding some unique glory kills .

I tried to do it with hellknight, all kinds of different angles but every time I just teleport to the front, punch him once and that's it, same for everything I have met so far.

I tried to do it with hellknight, all kinds of different angles but every time I just teleport to the front, punch him once and that's it, same for everything I have met so far.

There are multiple per enemy type, and I am pretty sure the hell knight has quite a few from different angles as well (one of the the different ones is even a level goal to get a combat point). So... I am not sure why it is not working for you.

Moff

Is it wrong that I think this is my GOTY so far? What a game.

in every other year it would be easily, but sadly this is an amazing year. hitman and overwatch are among my favourite games in years as well and there is still the witcher addon and deus ex coming which might be just as good. it's gonna be a tough GOTY vote for me in 2016.

mcz117chief

There are multiple per enemy type, and I am pretty sure the hell knight has quite a few from different angles as well (one of the the different ones is even a level goal to get a combat point). So... I am not sure why it is not working for you.

Well I am disappointed with the glory kills in general, they are bloodless and boring (at least, I never managed to get ones with any blood), just a punch or a simple grab (that somehow kills). It feels like they completely wasted the potential they had. I don't like to compare Doom 4 with Brutal Doom but in this respect I can and honestly Brutal Doom totally blows Doom 4 out of the water (tearing guts out with bare hands, ripping spines out, tearing people in half showering yourself in guts, etc. etc.), so much blood and guts. Doom 4 feels like Brutal Doom for kids most of the time. On the other hand in multiplayer the glory kills are excellent, blood and guts flying everywhere (especially the glory kills by baron of hell). The team that designed the multiplayer should have taught the singleplayer team how's it done.

CrayToes

in every other year it would be easily, but sadly this is an amazing year. hitman and overwatch are among my favourite games in years as well and there is still the witcher addon and deus ex coming which might be just as good. it's gonna be a tough GOTY vote for me in 2016.

Yeah, that's not even to mention great games like Uncharted 4 and Dark Souls 3. A very good year indeed. Doom has just blown me away in every sense.

Well I am disappointed with the glory kills in general, they are bloodless and boring (at least, I never managed to get ones with any blood), just a punch or a simple grab (that somehow kills). It feels like they completely wasted the potential they had. I don't like to compare Doom 4 with Brutal Doom but in this respect I can and honestly Brutal Doom totally blows Doom 4 out of the water (tearing guts out with bare hands, ripping spines out, tearing people in half showering yourself in guts, etc. etc.), so much blood and guts. Doom 4 feels like Brutal Doom for kids most of the time. On the other hand in multiplayer the glory kills are excellent, blood and guts flying everywhere (especially the glory kills by baron of hell). The team that designed the multiplayer should have taught the singleplayer team how's it done.
I really do not think they are largely bloodless... but I think that is pretty easy to prove to be honest.
Your comparison to brutal doom seems a bit un-thought out IMO. The gameplay tie-in and down time in doom 4 is pretty different than that found in brutal doom. In doom 4 it is a tactical decision that has benefits and downsides (along with a side mechanic of stunning enemies being not too dissimilar to pain states from doom 1 and 2), while in brutal doom it can takes up to 5 seconds of your character standing there in third person being invulnerable and at best picking up a demon rune off of it. Brutal Doom makes it a pure spectacle, while doom actually ties the decision to engage it into to the gameplay balance.

I find them to play rather differently.

Is it wrong that I think this is my GOTY so far? What a game.

This is one of the best games I've ever played, so no, it's not wrong. Haven't felt like this in ages and I've been gaming for +25 years. It's like Super Mario Galaxy became a FPS in hell, it's gameplay and level design perfection.

mcz117chief

I find them to play rather differently.

Right, they are different, that is why I said I don't like to compare them if I can help it, but the amount of violence in both games easily can be. Brutal Doom goes all out, while Doom 4 doesn't.
Glory kills are all about spectacle too, they are not necessary, I play without them most of the time and I don't feel like I am missing anything, health still drops from enemies.

Nothing surprising about it, multiplayer is where all the blood went apparently. The little bit that is left in singleplayer doesn't stand apart from most shooters these days and far behind the best ones (Shadow Warrior, Killing Floor 2 for example).

m4st4

UAC on Ultra Nightmare had my heart pounding like crazy.

That moment you realize it's DONE, checkpoint... so good. Took me ten tries I think. Three days.

Nothing surprising about it, multiplayer is where all the blood went apparently. The little bit that is left in singleplayer doesn't stand apart from most shooters these days and far behind the best ones (Shadow Warrior, Killing Floor 2 for example).

Everything surprising about it when you're in minority.

Moff

he is talking about blood & gore and not the actual quality.
no one on this planets thinks the multiplayer of doom '16 is better than the singleplayer

mokeyjoe

Brutal Doom's gore is just silly though. That over the top gory look is much more 'for kids', blood and gore is hardly 'grown up'. I feel Doom gets the level of juvenility about right, fun without being too dumb.

Jamex RZ

Banned
He doesn't care about Hayden or Vega. He only followed Vega's plan so to destroy the well. He only destroyed the well to fuck with Hell.

He hates Hell and everything in it. Nothing was about anything else. There's simply no point within the game that shows he sympathises with the loss of life.

Unless I missed something. Which, I may have considering a never read the data pads.

Yep, you did misunderstood it.

mcz117chief

Brutal Doom's gore is just silly though. That over the top gory look is much more 'for kids', blood and gore is hardly 'grown up'. I feel Doom gets the level of juvenility about right, fun without being too dumb.

Brutal Doom is not over the top really, if you rip someone in half there is going to be lots of guts and blood flying everywhere, instead in Doom 4 there is just this pink mist for a fraction of a second and that's it, and to make matters worse the dead bodies disappear almost instantly leaving nothing but a pinkish smudge behind. The blood in this game just doesn't have any thickness or volume, but I guess you can always play the "but it's demon blood so it's different" card.

Jamex RZ

Banned

Bloodless and boring. I sure think you copy is censored... Where are you at?

m4st4

Minority isn't always wrong.

It's reasonable not to act like the majority got it wrong a la young Indiana Jones from The Last Crusade prologue though and instead provide a solid explanation.

If you're going to compare new Doom with modern shooters at least provide some evidence, otherwise it's firmly set in the past (see: labyrinthine level design, well hidden secrets, health packs, power ups etc.); modern audio-visual upgrades are there, but that's to be expected.

mokeyjoe

Brutal Doom is not over the top really, if you rip someone in half there is going to be lots of guts and blood flying everywhere, instead in Doom 4 there is just this pink mist for a fraction of a second and that's it, and to make matters worse the dead bodies disappear almost instantly leaving nothing but a pinkish smudge behind. The blood in this game just doesn't have any thickness or volume, but I guess you can always play the "but it's demon blood so it's different" card.

I agree with the bodies disappearing, but I don't think Brutal Doom is going for realism at all. Everything is super pixelly for a start, so I can't speak for any sort of blood 'consistency' as it's all just red pixels. I play it quite a lot and the gore has got more and more through the various versions, to the point where it just seems to be detracting now, (although the new version has a gore slider I think). Everything is basically a big bag of exploding blood and chunks. I feel both games are OTT really, just BD more so.

I like stuff in Doom such as the way blood shows on enemies depending where you shoot them, helps to provide feedback to the player. I don't think I need more gore to look at when I'm beating a demon to death with his own arm, seems about right to me. If anything, it would just obscure the view.

I think the level of gore is on par with the original updated to modern standards. One day I'm sure there'll be a Brutal Doom 2016 for those who want that sort of thing.

mcz117chief

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SGiI0_AA4o

That's a compilation of the glory kills in Doom. Plenty of blood and violence if you ask me...

Bloody hell these look awesome, how come I never saw these in my 2 hours of play? I always do a single punch (no blood) or a grab (no blood).

If you're going to compare new Doom with modern shooters at least provide some evidence, otherwise it's firmly set in the past (see: labyrinthine level design, well hidden secrets, health packs, power ups etc.); modern audio-visual upgrades are there, but that's to be expected.

Killing Floor 2 for comparison, watch this. All the entrails flying around, blood with volume sliding and sticking to surfaces, etc.

Shadow Warrior, watch here

m4st4

Killing Floor 2 for comparison, watch this. All the entrails flying around, blood with volume sliding and sticking to surfaces, etc.

Shadow Warrior, watch here

Okay? Not sure why these blood videos are relevant to your statement that Doom 2016 is purely modern shooter. Blood splatter is a cool cosmetic, I'm talking about level design and gameplay aspects.

mcz117chief

Okay? Not sure why these blood videos are relevant to your statement that Doom 2016 is purely modern shooter. Blood splatter is a cool cosmetic, I'm talking about level design and gameplay aspects.

And I am talking exclusively about blood and guts, gameplay and level design are not the issue here.

mokeyjoe

Bloody hell these look awesome, how come I never saw these in my 2 hours of play? I always do a single punch (no blood) or a grab (no blood).

I have no idea. There are a wide variety of kills depending on how you attack the enemy, and then different ones for Berserk and chainsaw kills. There's definitely blood, as well as guts and bits of brain etc.

Personally I'll always go for 'death from above' kills given the chance. Just something satisfying about it.

mcz117chief

I have no idea. There are a wide variety of kills depending on how you attack the enemy, and then different ones for Berserk and chainsaw kills. There's definitely blood, as well as guts and bits of brain etc.

Personally I'll always go for 'death from above' kills given the chance. Just something satisfying about it.

I dunno, maybe my settings are broken or something.

And I am talking exclusively about blood and guts, gameplay and level design are not the issue here.

I get the feeling doom is still the bloodiest modern shooter with modern graphics bar a few examples elsewhere (SW and KF2 being prime examples). Also one cannot forget this game has to run on consoles with their tiny CPUs @ 60 fps... something always has to give sadly in that direction.

karasu

I've been watching videos of this ran on a 1080,or whatever, and it's like the most beautiful game I've ever seen.

mcz117chief

I get the feeling doom is still the bloodiest modern shooter with modern graphics bar a few examples elsewhere (SW and KF2 being prime examples). Also one cannot forget this game has to run on consoles with their tiny CPUs @ 60 fps... something always has to give sadly in that direction.

The thing is though, that I can't, for the love of all that is holy, get those animations that the person posted at the top of this page. I always do a single one and there is no blood at all during the glory kills. It only happens in single player though, the multiplayer gore is working just fine.

I've been watching videos of this ran on a 1080,or whatever, and it's like the most beautiful game I've ever seen.

Then watch this and be amazed again.

Stoze

WTF? I'm at the Advanced Research Labs. Is it really that long?

No, I think he's just joshin' you because you technically
meet Samuel in the first few minutes of the game, just not in person.

I'd say 4 hours sounds about right.

Skulldead

Bought it yesterday, just finish the first 2 chapter.... i don't know who did the level design for this game, but i would give him all the possible award in VG for this year. Imagine that with non linear gameplay progression (like bioshock or Metroid prime), this would be glorious. I'm sure i didn't saw like 1/8 of the game yet. Upgrade system is fun, the exploration is rewarding, the melee finish are nice, the music, i love the heavy metal soundtrack during encounter.

My only complain so far enemies that are under my feet sound too loud, i always think there a creature around the corner, but it's just trap under my feet or behind a door.

Top Bottom