• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

KingV

Bought it yesterday, just finish the first 2 chapter.... i don't know who did the level design for this game, but i would give him all the possible award in VG for this year. Imagine that with non linear gameplay progression (like bioshock or Metroid prime), this would be glorious. I'm sure i didn't saw like 1/8 of the game yet. Upgrade system is fun, the exploration is rewarding, the melee finish are nice, the music, i love the heavy metal soundtrack during encounter.

My only complain so far enemies that are under my feet sound too loud, i always think there a creature around the corner, but it's just trap under my feet or behind a door.

Yeah, the sound mix does seem off. The other noise is body parts bouncing/rolling around noise. It's like way too loud. I kept thinking it was a monster stomping around until I figured out what it was.

lazygecko

Yeah, the sound mix does seem off. The other noise is body parts bouncing/rolling around noise. It's like way too loud. I kept thinking it was a monster stomping around until I figured out what it was.

Metal chunks from exploding barrels always sound like they are in close proximity as well no matter which distance the barrels are exploding from.

Atuin

...tearing guts out with bare hands, ripping spines out, tearing people in half showering yourself in guts, etc. etc.), so much blood and guts....blood and guts flying everywhere...I am talking exclusively about blood and guts... All the entrails flying around, blood with volume sliding and sticking to surfaces, etc....

Legit question: Are you all right?

I understand how some people consider gore and detailed rag doll physics as a cool detail, but that amount of focus on blood and guts, blood and guts, blood and guts doesn't seem healthy to me, honestly.

mdsfx

I understand how some people consider gore and detailed rag doll physics as a cool detail, but that amount of focus on blood and guts, blood and guts, blood and guts doesn't seem healthy to me, honestly.

Legit question: Do you realize you're in a Doom thread, which also happens to be titled "Rip and tear, until it's done"?

DOOM-GIF-09.gif

Barbie Horse-Riding Adventure OT is that-a-way -->

:p

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Just finished the game. That kind of just.....ended. Final boss didn't feel like a final boss and that last scene was just weird.

Still fantastic game. Gonna play it on Nightmare now.

mcz117chief

read the tag of this thread, mate. I think that's your answer.

Thanks, mdsfx, for cover :)

mdsfx

Finished it last night. Really enjoyed finding the secrets. I loved the final
throwback, spider
boss and the fact that
it took basically all of my ammo to beat.
Do you get anything for beating the unlocked, classic levels?

Shin-chan

Really loving the campaign so far but the load times when re spawning on PS4 are a pain. Especially the slight delay in even letting you reload from the checkpoint.

Why is that even a question anyway? Just get me back into the fight!

AlStrong

Blood for the blood god...

Goddamn I love the movement in this game. Sure it's not as fast as Quake, but it's just so free-flowing. I feel like I can go anywhere in heavy combat, but not to the point where the game is making decisions for me. It's so satisfying to bounce around the level like a coked up gorilla with a shotgun.

Atuin

Legit question: Do you realize you're in a Doom thread, which also happens to be titled "Rip and tear, until it's done"?

Barbie Horse-Riding Adventure OT is that-a-way -->

:p

Yes, but I kind of assumed the majority of people are playing Doom for the fast game play, guns with "oomph", interesting map & enemy design and consider gore as just one secondary feature of the game (I'm not saying everyone considers excessive gore as a kind of necessary evil in games) but okay you've convinced me. This game's only purpose is to get them sweet totally-not-borderline-sociopathic-sadistic blood, guts and graphic violence shots. Anyone thinking otherwise likes Barbie games and there's no middle ground. Glad we got that figured out.

Edit: I'm not saying it's sociopathic to go "Hey I ripped that demon in half, sweet" and continue gaming, just that saying "more graphic violence = better game" and excessive focus on blood and guts is something I've never heard anyone say. Then again why am I even trying to be reasonable when you're saying "any criticism=hurr barbie gaems"

mcz117chief

all right, so what I did I set all settings to low and restarted then set everything to ultra, now the blood works like in the videos you posted. At least I got it fixed finally.

This game's only purpose is to get them sweet totally-not-borderline-sociopathic-sadistic blood, guts and graphic violence shots. Anyone thinking otherwise likes Barbie games and there's no middle ground. Glad we got that figured out.

1421877604177.png

Yup, I'm glad we straightened that out

Z3M0G

It's difficult to find time to play this with the family around... itching for more! The 2nd level was surprisingly long! Especially while trying to find as many secrets as I could. It's nice how the map says "Yup, there's something there", but only vaguely hints at how to get to it. Brilliant combination of level and map design!

I may need to stop hunting every secret and push forward... I should try to play through this more than once, afterall.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Not that the devs need an excuse but the gore makes total sense in the context of being the demonic Punisher. You're the monster under the bed to these lesser monsters - the thing they fear most. All of their size, strength, and hideous brutality means absolutely fuck-all when you can tear them apart with your bare hands.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Not that the devs need an excuse but the gore makes total sense in the context of being the demonic Punisher. You're the monster under the bed to these lesser monsters - the thing they fear most. All of their size, strength, and hideous brutality means absolutely fuck-all when you can tear them apart with your bare hands.

It's also so over the top and cartoony that it really doesn't have the same kind of impact of something like TLoU. The violence in TLoU was uncomfortable, here it's just funny and ridiculous.

mdsfx

... but okay you've convinced me. This game's only purpose is to get them sweet totally-not-borderline-sociopathic-sadistic blood, guts and graphic violence shots. Anyone thinking otherwise likes Barbie games and there's no middle ground. Glad we got that figured out.

Edit: I'm not saying it's sociopathic to go "Hey I ripped that demon in half, sweet" and continue gaming, just that saying "more graphic violence = better game" and excessive focus on blood and guts is something I've never heard anyone say. Then again why am I even trying to be reasonable when you're saying "any criticism=hurr barbie gaems"

Just having some fun, hence the ":p" at the end of my post.

Didn't expect anyone to take that so seriously.

Yes, but I kind of assumed the majority of people are playing Doom for the fast game play, guns with "oomph", interesting map & enemy design and consider gore as just one secondary feature of the game (I'm not saying everyone considers excessive gore as a kind of necessary evil in games) but okay you've convinced me. This game's only purpose is to get them sweet totally-not-borderline-sociopathic-sadistic blood, guts and graphic violence shots. Anyone thinking otherwise likes Barbie games and there's no middle ground. Glad we got that figured out.

.....I am really not sure what your point is from your posts in the thread. What are you trying to accomplish?

Atuin

.....I am really not sure what your point is from your posts in the thread. What are you trying to accomplish?

If you read the previous posts, it's really simple. "mcz117chief" posts several posts where he obsesses over "...tearing guts out with bare hands, ripping spines out, tearing people in half showering yourself in guts, etc. etc.), so much blood and guts....blood and guts flying everywhere...I am talking exclusively about blood and guts... All the entrails flying around, blood with volume sliding and sticking to surfaces, etc....". I personally don't think that level of obsessing over gory dismemberment is healthy and ask if he is okay. If any of my friends wrote kind of stuff I'd be genuinely concerned about them.

The post you quoted was me explaining the difference between liking a game that's gory and liking a game only because it's gory. I don't think the latter is healthy.

Stoze

If you read the previous posts, it's really simple. "mcz117chief" posts several posts where he obsesses over "...tearing guts out with bare hands, ripping spines out, tearing people in half showering yourself in guts, etc. etc.), so much blood and guts....blood and guts flying everywhere...I am talking exclusively about blood and guts... All the entrails flying around, blood with volume sliding and sticking to surfaces, etc....". I personally don't think that level of obsessing over gory dismemberment is healthy and ask if he is okay. If any of my friends wrote kind of stuff I'd be genuinely concerned about them.

The post you quoted was me explaining the difference between liking a game that's gory and liking a game only because it's gory. I don't think the latter is healthy.

He's not obsessing over those things, he's describing them as they are depicted in Brutal Doom/Doom 2016. They were discussing the differing level of violence and gore between Brutal Doom and this game, in which you do those actions and where there is literally blood and guts everywhere. I can't speak for them, but I pretty sure they don't only like Doom games because they are gory.

It sounds like you're projecting a bit here or overreacting.
blood and guts

highrider

Banned

Seriously, in a doom thread you're going to ride in on a high horse and say that the interest in gore isn't healthy? Despite whatever psychological basis you have for making that statement, is the doom thread really where you are looking for discourse about it?

Who are you to make that judgement about a person based on thinking the gore is cool, and I guess the added bonus of making you feel superior is purely ancillary.

AlStrong

I'm sure you would be pissing yourself too if you saw Doom Marine gunning at you with a chainsaw :p

If you're pissing blood, you're probably already dead. :p (kidneys)

Maybe the demon had kidney failure after years of drug abuse from depression after the last time Doomguy was in Hell and slaughtered its family.

mcz117chief

If you're pissing blood, you're probably already dead. :p (kidneys)

Maybe the demon had kidney failure after years of drug abuse from depression after the last time Doomguy was in Hell and slaughtered its family.

Mate, who knows what demons piss, but I like your second explanation :p

RedAssedApe

Banned
There is different music I think some of the later levels have music that only plays there. I'm not sure how the track selection works because it's dynamic but you might want to turn it on for the later levels. If you aren't really enjoying it though then of course I understand why you would want to turn if off.

just the repetitive nature of it was getting to me. not to mention it kind of gave away combat encounters. i turned it back on and just lowered the volume a tad. playing the game in silence felt weird too...as this isn't a horror game.

Played it. Finished it. Loved it.

You know that a game does it right when it eventually clicks and you are jumping, climbing, glory killing enemies, shotgun blasting their faces and end up BFGing them within 5-6 seconds.

I do not even care when I die. It gives me enough incentive to up my game and try out different tactics.

The rune that gives extra maneuverability is a goddamn lifesaver as well.

KingV

just the repetitive nature of it was getting to me. not to mention it kind of gave away combat encounters. i turned it back on and just lowered the volume a tad. playing the game in silence felt weird too...as this isn't a horror game.

I love how the music ramps up and down. It starts jamming hard and wailing on guitars and I'm like "it's go time!"

Then near the end of an encounter I'm like "is that it? Is that it?" And finally kill the last demon and can breathe again.

Anyone know what the limit is on how many demons the game can put on screen at once? I would hope for it to be even more chaotic in a sequel.

Calabi

Played it. Finished it. Loved it.

You know that a game does it right when it eventually clicks and you are jumping, climbing, glory killing enemies, shotgun blasting their faces and end up BFGing them within 5-6 seconds.

I do not even care when I die. It gives me enough incentive to up my game and try out different tactics.

The rune that gives extra maneuverability is a goddamn lifesaver as well.

Thats the same for me, I'm playing on Ultra Violence and dying a shit load but it's so much fun I dont mind. I just want to Rip and Tear and watch the guts fly everywhere.

This is my new early game of the year, even though my save file got corrupted halfway through. Didn't even phase me much because I got to play through most of the game again.

Top Bottom