• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

ieatzombies

I loved it on nightmare. Basically almost any projectile you can dodge. Stay on the move and don't directly towards the imps or they will fuck you up. Though I think nightmare was at its worst the first few missions but got way better once you got some better weapons/upgrades. So if you haven't gotten over the beginning it is still very rough going.
I hear you man. It absolutely was relentless at the beginning. After the upgrades, I'm kicking ass. It's just ridiculous at certain points on nightmare. I'm a big quake player so I know how to get out of those sticky situations. It's a beautiful game though.

Skulldead

I've just hit
Hell
how much longer that i have to do, i really don't want the game to finish... this is truly a amazing game...

Dec

Because mouse and keyboard is so important in this game it made me look into trimming my mouse setting to improve my gameplay and accuracy.

I wonder how many of you unknowingly play this game with 'Enhanced Pointer precision' enabled in windows mouse settings? Because it is a lot more accurate with is disabled, for those unaware it's basically mouse acceleration.

Also regarding mouse settings this is an interesting bit of information from a cswiki regarding mouse setting,

I've posted about this numerous times throughout the past couple years.

http://donewmouseaccel.blogspot.ca/2010/03/markc-windows-7-mouse-acceleration-fix.html

That link contains a fix that completely replaces the Windows mouse acceleration curves that are active when enhanced pointer precision is enabled so that even if a game switches it on without your knowledge, the option is broken under the hood.

Not to be used by those that require mouse acceleration (it is useful in non-gaming applications).

Lernaean

Banned
Finished it yesterday and it's seriously my GotG.
Yup, no typo. Excluding a couple of amazing games that are cross-gen, this is the best game I played this generation so far.
Welcome back id.

Z3M0G

I was gonna start a new thread but it has probably been discussed already...

Theory: review copies not sent out early due to needing patch first?

So I don't know how many people on PS4 bothered to try DOOM before waiting for the Day 1 patch to download (I was too excited to start it)... but the game had MASSIVE frame rate issues. It was constant screen tearing across the middle of the screen during cinematic moments, and screen tearing here and there during gameplay. But after installing the initial download patch, the v-sync is locked down.

Does anyone know on what date exactly this Day 1 patch was initially available for download?

I can certainly say right now, that the game as it existed raw off the disk would have left people with a very bad impression.

Finished the first level with no problems whatsoever. Should I increase the difficulty or does the game get significantly harder?

See how you do on the next level or so. If it's too easy bump it up. You can always turn the difficulty down if it get's to be too difficult.

Ixion

This was my theory as well. The rhetoric about wanting reviewers to review all three modes at once was obviously bullshit. The game had pretty bad screen tearing before the Day 1 patch, so holding back the reviews until the patch is a more likely reason.

AlStrong

Nah,
Night Sentinels are really redesigned Quake Knights, the DOOM DLC will bridge Quake and Doom together, and then lead into a tease for DOOM V: Hell On Earth Special Arachnotron Edition TACTICAL DEMON KILLING ACTION. and a teaser trailer for Quake V.

Actually, that'd be kind of neat. The logs mention different "ages" in the past. Quake 1 being one of those would be a decent retcon.

I think I'd prefer them to continue the Strogg storyline with the Quake name though. QII & QIV were kind of like... secular Doom, if you will. They still had the freakish cybernetics and such. Doesn't mean they can't exist in the same universe per se (just another age).

Who knows, maybe they could say that the Strogg are a result of Hayden's UAC (far future age), messing around with cybernetics. The lack of demons is because Doom guy finally destroyed Hell, and he ultimately TP'd Hayden & co. to the ass end of the galaxy, and they're back for revenge. :p

LifeLike

I'm almost done on my first playtrough and I have to admit that this game is everything I was hoping for. Being able to go back on previous mission and collect everything and all the secrets is highly satisfying. I did it on the hardest difficulty which is not that hard. I'm on mission 13 and I was wondering, is there 2 more difficulties after ultra-violence or only 1? Is it challenging? Is the multiplayer fun worth it? What is the list of changes for version 1.03?

TheFuzz

For those who have seen The Mist,
the feeling after he murders everyone and finds out the army is a block away

That's exactly how I feel after cleaning a room by the skin of my teeth with hardly any ammo left, only to see a Berzerk powerup that was right above me.

psychotron

For those who have seen The Mist,
the feeling after he murders everyone and finds out the army is a block away

That's exactly how I feel after cleaning a room by the skin of my teeth with hardly any ammo left, only to see a Berzerk powerup that was right above me.

I hate when that happens, lol. That or quad damage. I feel like a badass for doing it without the power up though.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Is there any detailed changelog for the PS4 patches?
I tried playing the game without the patches and the screen tearing almost made my eyes bleed.

Beat it last night. Even the credits were amazing.

Game did bug out on me on ps4, lost a lot of weapon challenge progress...had to replay a few levels I already cleared 100%..but thankfully the game is fun so it was not a big deal.

Going for the plat but can't beat the first level on hardest difficulty :( Can't even get past the first encounter some tries lol.

Oynox

Oh jesus, I am an absolutely obsessed when it comes to shotguns in shooters generally... Doom is like heaven for a shotgun lover!!!!

LifeLike

Beat it last night. Even the credits were amazing.

Game did bug out on me on ps4, lost a lot of weapon challenge progress...had to replay a few levels I already cleared 100%..but thankfully the game is fun so it was not a big deal.

Going for the plat but can't beat the first level on hardest difficulty :( Can't even get past the first encounter some tries lol.

Do you keep your progress after you beat the game (upgrades and everything?) or you start from scratch?

Anteo

Do you keep your progress after you beat the game (upgrades and everything?) or you start from scratch?

Depends, you can stay on the same savefile and keep everything and replay any stage, you can also change the dificulty except you cant choose Nightmare.

You can start over in a new savefile on Nightmare but you wont have any upgrade/weapons

Ixion

but it's shooting animation is beyond terrible though, I genuinely thought it was a bug.

You referring to the lack of recoil? That never struck me as odd since it's supposed to be a very sleek, futuristic weapon. It helps give the gun a little more character actually.

mcz117chief

You referring to the lack of recoil? That never struck me as odd since it's supposed to be a very sleek, futuristic weapon. It helps give the gun a little more character actually.

I mean the fact that when you fire a single shot the actual world bolt appears about 3 feet in front of you while another 2 are animated to leave the barrel and disappear almost immediately without any impact on the world, it is in a attempt to mimic full auto fire but looks absolutely terrible. Reminds me of those gun sounds in most shooters when you switch to full auto but only fire one shot the sound clip cuts off immediately.

Exactly what I've been saying. It's pissing me off and every encounter feels cheap as fuck. I still love the game. But, fuck these laser homing accurate 9,000 fireball shooting assholes. When they cling on walls you're almost 100 percent fucked.

If you're moving, they don't hit you. Your mistake is standing still.

lazygecko

What mostly bugs me about the weapon visuals is how several off them have this jarring cutoff on alpha effects like blinking lights. The most visible one is the yellow light for the combat shotgun charge shot I think. The plasma rifle has similar issues with its blue lights.

mcz117chief

What mostly bugs me about the weapon visuals is how several off them have this jarring cutoff on alpha effects like blinking lights. The most visible one is the yellow light for the combat shotgun charge shot I think. The plasma rifle has similar issues with its blue lights.

yup, but I think the plasma rifle barrel lights are by far the worst

Yo this game is fun as hell. It was a little slow to start, but once you start getting some of the cooler weapons and upgrades, it's great! That super shotgun rune challenge was dope.

Man this last 12th challenge is such a pain in the ass. It's not even the challenge that's the issue, it's the ridiculous amount of splash damage on this rocket launcher. Like I understand why it's there but it does far too much damage to yourself when it explodes even if your not even close to the explosion.

Y'know, can we all agree that the biggest loss this game has from classic DOOM is that we don't have good old Terry and others making troll WADs anymore.

(What was it about DOOM and Half-Life that they had so many garbage WADs made to be absolutely terrible? Like, no other game with mod support has had the kind of volume of garbage that Doom and HL got. Not even Skyrim.)

mokeyjoe

Y'know, can we all agree that the biggest loss this game has from classic DOOM is that we don't have good old Terry and others making troll WADs anymore.

(What was it about DOOM and Half-Life that they had so many garbage WADs made to be absolutely terrible? Like, no other game with mod support has had the kind of volume of garbage that Doom and HL got. Not even Skyrim.)

I don't know about half life, but DOOM always had the advantage that making a WAD is really easy. It's one of the reasons it's still so popular to make maps for. Given the barrier for entry is so low, it makes sense that a lot of garbage will ensue.

The Flash

Banned
Another classic quote from /v/

euX9EI2.jpg

mokeyjoe

I was gonna start a new thread but it has probably been discussed already...

So I don't know how many people on PS4 bothered to try DOOM before waiting for the Day 1 patch to download (I was too excited to start it)... but the game had MASSIVE frame rate issues. It was constant screen tearing across the middle of the screen during cinematic moments, and screen tearing here and there during gameplay. But after installing the initial download patch, the v-sync is locked down.

Does anyone know on what date exactly this Day 1 patch was initially available for download?

I can certainly say right now, that the game as it existed raw off the disk would have left people with a very bad impression.

I did because I couldn't be bothered to wait for it to download. The tearing was awful. It was also missing settings from the menu, like controller options and FOV.

I don't know about half life, but DOOM always had the advantage that making a WAD is really easy. It's one of the reasons it's still so popular to make maps for. Given the barrier for entry is so low, it makes sense that a lot of garbage will ensue.

Oh no, with Terry's WADs, it's not as simple as "garbage."

It's outright malice - Misanthropy Pure.

belly.wad

Voror

Just started playing tonight and just finished the first level. Still fiddling around with the settings for PS4. Not sure what might be best.

I managed to get two weapon upgrade points but not sure if I should save them for another weapon or use them now. Went for the Explosive Shot for the Shotgun so not sure if I should spend the two on upgrading that.

mokeyjoe

Just started playing tonight and just finished the first level. Still fiddling around with the settings for PS4. Not sure what might be best.

I managed to get two weapon upgrade points but not sure if I should save them for another weapon or use them now. Went for the Explosive Shot for the Shotgun so not sure if I should spend the two on upgrading that.

It doesn't matter much. You get plenty of upgrade points as you play. Just buy what you like the sound of.

Edit: Oh, except the pistol, that's always garbage.

Voror

It doesn't matter much. You get plenty of upgrade points as you play. Just buy what you like the sound of.

Edit: Oh, except the pistol, that's always garbage.

Ah good, didn't want to have to pick and choose super selectively.

Yeah, sort of noticed that. Shotgun is so much more satisfying to use.

Top Bottom