• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Anung

Un Rama
Is the game good for today's standards ?? from the trailers it looked repetitive, is there boss fights and can you upgrade your character ?? and how long is the game ?

Seems good to me. Balances old school mechanics and new school presentation. Quite a lot of character and weapon customization too. I've put about 8 hours in and the end doesn't look in sight but I'm not actually sure.

G_Berry

Banned
1a29em8.png

no deathmatch confirmed. Sad.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!

I'm already playing it on Steam. Weird.

It's pretty damn good so far. Feels different to other games - I actually struggle to make comparisons to other games.

Looking forward to playing more tomorrow lunchtime :)

I played it for about 90 minutes and I really enjoy it so far as well. Gave me a good impression and I'll wait for another before going back.

For funsies we played doom on pc and ps4 side by side in the office and everyone watching was like “same game?” lol I think I never saw an fps played so differently on different platform. Not saying console version is bad though.

vilmer_

Man... I have to pick between Doom and Overwatch, if you asked me yesterday it would've been Overwatch all the way, but these impressions really make this a lot harder for me than they should.

Have you ever played any Doom games in the past? Overwatch is more of a happy go lucky game for the 15-21 year old twitch tv generation. Expect lots of memes on reddit and instagram. Expect your head getting blown off in Doom.

FrsDvl

Have you ever played any Doom games in the past? Overwatch is more of a happy go lucky game for the 15-21 year old twitch tv generation.

Oh yes, given I was quite young at the time, but we had Doom 1 and 2 both on PC. I was pretty hyped for this one, till I saw more footage and got kind of turned off by it. But now these impressions...

Justinian

So as someone who really likes Halo, Unreal Tournament, Resistance 1 but never played Doom, is this a hard shooter to get into? Looks fun but not sure if it's for a particular crowd.

I think it would be right up your alley. It has the dynamic and tactical combat of Halo, the balls to the wall speed of Unreal Tournament. Don't know about what Resistance offered since I never played that.

Still willing to give this a shot and ignore it's supposed to be Doom but need to ask two questions:

-Can you turn all that 'you achieved!!' 'Go here' '90 steps to objective here' shit off? I know you can turn off the finisher color flashes but wondering about that.

-The deal breaker question...are levels ACTUALLY intricate or just compared to typical modern FPS layout? Are arenas with enemy waves common and are levels laid out like enemy wave arenas with connections and secrets thrown in to make it 'old school'? I mean be honest, how does the level design compare to real deal 90s FPSs not Wolfenstein TNO.

I think it would be right up your ally. It has the dynamic and tactical combat of Halo, the balls to the wall speed of Unreal Tournament. Don't know about what Resistance offered since I never played that.

The speed looks enticing I guess I worry about the repetitiveness.

1337Sauce

Owned the game for a couple days and have played about eight or nine hours. Willing to answer any questions you guys may have! (PS4)

Anung

Un Rama
Still willing to give this a shot and ignore it's supposed to be Doom but need to ask two questions:

-Can you turn all that 'you achieved!!' 'Go here' '90 steps to objective here' shit off? I know you can turn off the finisher color flashes but wondering about that.

-The deal breaker question...are levels ACTUALLY intricate or just compared to typical modern FPS layout? Are arenas with enemy waves common and are levels laid out like enemy wave arenas with connections and secrets thrown in to make it 'old school'? I mean be honest, how does the level design compare to real deal 90s FPSs not Wolfenstein TNO.

- You can turn off all HUD elements. And customize which ones you want on and off.

- Yes. Kinda both. They are really big with loads of verticality, branching paths and a butt load of secrets. To be honest I'm not sure if modern design has made me forget how open things used to be but the levels are damn big and and a load of fun to move around and kill in. Great sense of location to with the places making sense.

tesqui

Loving all the positive reception from Steam community. I'm real curious to see if critical reception matches or not. I have a feeling it won't.

- You can turn off all HUD elements. And customize which ones you want on and off.

- Yes. Kinda both. They are really big with loads of verticality, branching paths and a butt load of secrets. To be honest I'm not sure if modern design has made me forget how open things used to be but the levels are damn big and and a load of fun to move around and kill in. Great sense of location to with the places making sense.

Thanks for the answer

1337Sauce

What modern series would you compare it to?

Can't really compare it. Game is much more fast paced than anything I have played recently. Absolutely need to concentrate on every move you make, as well as manage your resources as well as chainsaw fuel. Killing enemies in certain priorities will definitely make your life easier as well.

These reasons alone make it different than many shooters that have come out lately.

Justinian

Yo for those with early copy what's the verdict? Is it atleast as good as doom3?

In a completely different league to Doom 3 - it's so much better in every way it's not funny. It also plays like Doom should - huge open spaces, sprawling levels and fast visceral combat focusing on movement.

How are the kill animations? I imagine they would get old fast and take you out of the action a lot.

Also, is it Doom Guy?

Don't have the game but I've heard this from others as for your second question:

One of the collectibles states that this is in fact the marine from the first two games, frozen in Hellcarbonite, the UAC teams basically find him and revive him.

1337Sauce

How are the kill animations? I imagine they would get old fast and take you out of the action a lot.

Also, is it Doom Guy?

Kill animations have gotten rather annoying at this point...and the part that bothers me the most is the need to rely on them for health. There is a small variety per enemy depending where you initiate the attack from...but they all end up looking almost the same and kind of getting in the way of you feeling like a real badass jumping around landing wicked shots.

No idea if it is the same guy appearance wise...but he does have similar armour?

Jay Seven

Banned
One constant in all the PS4 streams is incredibly loud PS4 fans. Looks like this is another game that pushes the hardware hard.

TheRed

Haha yeah I feel ya, I'm going to end up getting 4 fps games in the space of 5 months unless Titanfall 2 flops. It's a very odd situation but eh they all play very differently so I think there's enough variety to keep me interested.

Bought it, fuck it it looks great, I had $20 in my steam account I intended to get a VR game for my Vive with but whatever. I checked my bank account and saw my tax refund came in and that made it clear for me lol. Can't wait to play it, my download should be done right when it unlocks.

Kill animations have gotten rather annoying at this point...and the part that bothers me the most is the need to rely on them for health. There is a small variety per enemy depending where you initiate the attack from...but they all end up looking almost the same and kind of getting in the way of you feeling like a real badass jumping around landing wicked shots.

No idea if it is the same guy appearance wise...but he does have similar armour?

What do you think of the game overall? Fun or does it get repetitive?

Don't have the game but I've heard this from others as for your second question:

One of the collectibles states that this is in fact the marine from the first two games, frozen in Hellcarbonite, the UAC teams basically find him and revive him.
That's cool I guess. Do you know what he is referred as in game?

That sucks, getting locked into animations is a pet peev of mine. Are you sure there's no option to turn them off?

That sucks, getting locked into animations is a pet peev of mine. Are you sure there's no option to turn them off?

You don't have to do them. You just get health more often if you do. Enemies will still drop health sometimes when just killed with guns.

The killing animations are completely optional, you don't have to rely on them but they do help out.

As for what
Doom guy is referred to in this game? I have no idea, people have been vague. What I told you is what I heard and saw on a stream.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Quick question although I expect a negative answer, as always but are there bots for the multiplayer? I know Doom never had em', but you never know.

shmoglish

So... anyone else watch the polygon video of Doom?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yYp8ZeQ-I8

I don't think I've laughed this hard at gameplay footage in my entire life.
I mean, I really suck in this game. But is this his first videogame?

I really like it so far (Ps4). Graphics are fine, had tearing a few times but I am playing without the day one patch. Controlls are good, fast compared to the most console fps. Game has a great atmosphere imo. Brainless gorefest, love it.

Quick question although I expect a negative answer, as always but are there bots for the multiplayer? I know Doom never had em', but you never know.

You can put A.I.(Hell Knights, Imps, Etc.) from the game for sure. Not sure if there are Unreal Tournament style bots though.

1337Sauce

As far as I can tell, the only thing that you can turn off is the indicator that they can be killed with that specific melee attack. The kills themselves seem pretty important to the flow of the gameplay.

What do you think of the game overall? Fun or does it get repetitive?

Game is great so far, but I do get a bit fatigued after playing for a while. Even though the action is top notch, I personally am more of a story person, and the lack of any meaningful story (atleast in my opinion) sometimes detracts from my want to play the game for extremely long periods of time (unlike Uncharted 4 which I did in two sittings). However, as a pick up and play for a bit game, DOOM is unrivaled.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
You can put A.I.(Hell Knights, Imps, Etc.) from the game for sure. Not sure if there are Unreal Tournament style bots though.

Eh...kind of what I figured. Oh well, it's all about campaign in a Doom game. Might still wait a bit for some website impressions before pulling the trigger though.

RE4PRR

Tossing up to buy on cdkeys.

I only managed 1 game on the multiplayer beta and thought it was shit. But since the proper dev Team worked on the single player it looks good enough and I loved the 2 Wolfenstein games

Anyone know when Vulkan's supposed to working for Doom?

When it's done.

Eh...kind of what I figured. Oh well, it's all about campaign in a Doom game. Might still wait a bit for some website impressions before pulling the trigger though.

Yeah, it can't hurt to wait a bit. I am in love with this game, but I was a die-hard Doom fan back in the day and played through all of them again recently.
----------------------------
I'm of the opinion that if iD had released this as Doom 3 12 years ago, we wouldn't have had to wait 12 years for another Doom. It sits very nicely to the original 2 Doom games. Doom 3 was a great game in it's own way, but it really strayed far away from what made Doom 1/2 so enjoyable.

Top Bottom