• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Neiteio

Still hate that box art
Good thing it's reversible

doom_hell.0.jpg

Sàmban

Banned
What came before the big-bang? Doomguy. This is a scientific FACT.

The big-bang was actually just Doomguy testing his shotgun.

JimiNutz

Banned
So I know I'm pretty late to the party but this game came out when I was on vacation. Been desperate to play it and I finally picked it up over the weekend...

GODDAMN!

This is actually my first DOOM game but I was addicted to Quake 3 Arena (played it on Dreamcast and actually bought the official Keyboard an Mouse so that I could play it properly).

This game reminds me of Metroid Prime + Dead Space + Quake 3 Arena. The combat arena sections are obviously my favorite part since they seem so heavily influenced by Quake 3. I'm amazed at how easy it is to bounce around at great speeds reigning death from above with just a controller. It just feels so good.

I've changed my POV from the default 90 up to 110 - can someone explain to me what this does? I'm sitting pretty close to my TV (almost as close as a monitor) so I imagine a higher POV is best?

Izuna

Banned
I've changed my POV from the default 90 up to 110 - can someone explain to me what this does? I'm sitting pretty close to my TV (almost as close as a monitor) so I imagine a higher POV is best?

FOV is Field of View

Think of it as a way of increasing your peripheral vision. It will appear to be faster the higher it is due to how things will displace according to you perspective, but you can think of it like this:

Lower = more precise aiming (bigger objects)
Higher = more view (smaller objects)

There is very little reason to use a FOV under 110, since this is a mostly a single-player game with predictable enemy movements.

If you're on console -- turn off Auto-Switch on Empty, Look Smoothing (0%) and Auto-Aim =)

Jharp

Classic maps is one of the coolest features I've seen in a reboot to a classic franchise and a huge step up from the Wolf 3D easter eggs in TNO. I hope for the next game they straight up adapt it as a full side campaign with it's own challenges, side objectives, upgrade system etc. And tweaks to enemy and weapon behavior to make them closer to the old games, or just add modifiers so players can fuck around.

I also hope the next game is straight up called Doom II: Hell on Earth.

JimiNutz

Banned
FOV is Field of View

Think of it as a way of increasing your peripheral vision. It will appear to be faster the higher it is due to how things will displace according to you perspective, but you can think of it like this:

Lower = more precise aiming (bigger objects)
Higher = more view (smaller objects)

There is very little reason to use a FOV under 110, since this is a mostly a single-player game with predictable enemy movements.

If you're on console -- turn off Auto-Switch on Empty, Look Smoothing (0%) and Auto-Aim =)

Ah that makes sense.
I was considering turning off auto aim but Ultra Violence is reasonably challenging at the moment and I don't think im even half way through yet.

What is look smoothing?

Izuna

Banned
Ah that makes sense.
I was considering turning off auto aim but Ultra Violence is reasonably challenging at the moment and I don't think im even half way through yet.

What is look smoothing?

Look Smoothing introduces acceleration. Basically it lowers your initial look speed and it take time before reaching its maximum. It's horrible.

If you turn them both off, including auto-aim, you'll develop muscle memory. Those things combined means you'll almost always be confirming your shots without any confidence that you can turn any degree and shoot.

It will take just a little while for you to get used to it and you'll find aiming much easier.

... let me shamelessly post my gameplay http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Cobalt Izuna/video/17900406

JimiNutz

Banned
Look Smoothing introduces acceleration. Basically it lowers your initial look speed and it take time before reaching its maximum. It's horrible.

If you turn them both off, including auto-aim, you'll develop muscle memory. Those things combined means you'll almost always be confirming your shots without any confidence that you can turn any degree and shoot.

It will take just a little while for you to get used to it and you'll find aiming much easier.

... let me shamelessly post my gameplay http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Cobalt Izuna/video/17900406

Lovely.
I think I'll try turning off auto aim and look smoothing tonight. If I find it too difficult I'll maybe try again for my second playthrough.

I'm still not pulling off the awesome shit that you can do with a keyboard and mouse and think it's a mix of controller limitations and my old man reflexes... Unfortunately I'm not 14 years old anymore :(

jettpack

Did Any of you get stuck on The room you ride the train into on your way to
shutting down Vega
? That room (and the subsequent rooms in that level were SO fucking hard. I was playing on Ultraviolence and that shit got super rough. Managed to finish it last night. But by the end they start throwing so many enemies at you. I had to get super strategic about conserving my BFG ammo. I feel like those final rooms on that level are harder than than anything in the last level.

where did you all get stuck if at all?

Izuna

Banned
Lovely.
I think I'll try turning off auto aim and look smoothing tonight. If I find it too difficult I'll maybe try again for my second playthrough.

I'm still not pulling off the awesome shit that you can do with a keyboard and mouse and think it's a mix of controller limitations and my old man reflexes... Unfortunately I'm not 14 years old anymore :(

Man I wish I could use Keyboard and Mouse. That would be beautiful.

Izuna

Banned
shutting down Vega
? That room (and the subsequent rooms in that level were SO fucking hard. I was playing on Ultraviolence and that shit got super rough. Managed to finish it last night. But by the end they start throwing so many enemies at you. I had to get super strategic about conserving my BFG ammo. I feel like those final rooms on that level are harder than than anything in the last level.

The only room I got stuck in was the first Gore Nest in Mission 2 (on Nightmare). But by the time I got out of that room I think I died less twice or less per level.

That Train Area was supposed to be hard but I beat it first try.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Cobalt Izuna/video/17907015

To be honest, I think going through the Classic Levels gave me all the practice I needed for dodging a bunch.

That's probably it really. If you play up until that part on Nightmare then the game is getting easier as you learn to play in such a way that you don't get hit much. But maybe on UV, because it's SO forgiving, the more enemies = harder for the playstyle you adopt.

Jamex RZ

Banned
shutting down Vega

Do you have the upgraded rune where enemies drop BFG ammo? That was crucial for me.

Neiteio

shutting down Vega

You probably didn't go into the fight with three BFG charges. If you go in with three charges, and use the other three charges lying around the room, that's six times you can use the BFG. Along with the right runes (including one that drops BFG ammo), your chainsaw, and remembering to get the health packs on the right side of the room (when facing the direction the train came in), you should be OK. :)

Calabi

I'm gonna see how far I can go on Ultra Nighmare. The first time it wasnt very far, just the first area. Gladly I wasnt the only as you one, as can see the remains of other peoples failures similar to Dark Souls.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Good lord what is up with the screen tearing in this? (PS4)

Gonna have to play on my monitor I guess.

Do you have day one patch installed?
It eliminates screen tearing completely.

Kill3r7

Finally found some time this morning to beat the last level/boss. Excellent game and easily the most fun I have had with a FPS campaign in a very very long time. If it weren't for Uncharted 4 and DS3 I would jump back in and replay the campaign.

How do you guys feel about sub-weapons? Personally, I've repeatedly forgotten that they existed, except for when I picked up a new one and it shows that get item animation. I have never even tried using the ones after the frag grenade (maybe I'm just too lazy to reach for those F1/F2 buttons/re-assign them).

I have now. Looks like it was fixed. False alarm.

Ah that would explain why I didn't see it then lol....

How do you guys feel about sub-weapons? Personally, I've repeatedly forgotten that they existed, except for when I picked up a new one and it shows that get item animation. I have never even tried using the ones after the frag grenade (maybe I'm just too lazy to reach for those F1/F2 buttons/re-assign them).

Frags were great, the decoy I never used. The last one...I was kinda unsure what it does, seemed like it staggered enemies?

I think when I go back through on UV or NM I will use them a lot more because it looks like you really need to use all your tools, but my first playthrough on hurt me plenty I forgot I had them until I tried to get the rune upgraded. When I was using them then, they were pretty neathe and useful, specifically the siphon grenade, so it should be good times.

Beat the game last night, loved it. Probably the most fun I've had with a game in a long time. It kicks your ass but you just keep coming back for more because you know what your mistakes were and how to win.

Siphon grenade steals health from enemas.

Yeah that one was actually pretty helpful during the last combat areas, especially the final boss.

Zukkoyaki

Bought this due to GAF word-of-mouth and have had an absolute blast with it! One of my favorite games of the generation for sure!

I currently have every single remotely challenging trophy out of the way and just need to play a little multiplayer and some SnapMaps before I have the platinum trophy ^_^

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I was playing last night and had just started
Argent Facility
and the game was stuttering pretty bad. Game played perfectly fine on the levels prior. It's either the game or an Nvidia update to my 970. Anyone else running into issues?

Top Bottom