• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

daedalius

Beat the game for a 2nd time on Nightmare (1st time on UV), was fucking great the whole way through.

The Vega level's section where you are breaking his coolant tanks was by far the hardest arena in Nightmare for me; took me a LOT of tries. I figured the last level would wreck me, but since each arena had a powerup, it actually wasn't too bad.

Next on the list, get through the first level of Ultra Nightmare for that cheevo!

Dec

Beat the game for a 2nd time on Nightmare (1st time on UV), was fucking great the whole way through.

The Vega level's section where you are breaking his coolant tanks was by far the hardest arena in Nightmare for me; took me a LOT of tries. I figured the last level would wreck me, but since each arena had a powerup, it actually wasn't too bad.

Next on the list, get through the first level of Ultra Nightmare for that cheevo!

Do not glory kill unless you really need health! Standing still that long, even if the animation itself is invulnerable just means all the other Imps are throwing fireballs straight at you and it's a toss up whether you can move in time.

I really wish the faster glory kills and movement speed boost on glory kill were just default things you had.

h0tp0ck3t

I'm gonna see how far I can go on Ultra Nighmare. The first time it wasnt very far, just the first area. Gladly I wasnt the only as you one, as can see the remains of other peoples failures similar to Dark Souls.

It's funny how the first level is littered with them but I didn't see a single one on the second level. Everyone who made it got their achievement/trophy and said hell no

Nizz

Look Smoothing introduces acceleration. Basically it lowers your initial look speed and it take time before reaching its maximum. It's horrible.

If you turn them both off, including auto-aim, you'll develop muscle memory. Those things combined means you'll almost always be confirming your shots without any confidence that you can turn any degree and shoot.

It will take just a little while for you to get used to it and you'll find aiming much easier.

... let me shamelessly post my gameplay http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Cobalt Izuna/video/17900406
What sensitivity are you playing at if I might ask? I also set look smoothing to 0% when I got the game. I have my horizontal sens at 75% and vertical sens at 25%. I tried the "strafe" controller layout but my damn muscle memory is too used to using x to jump.

Anyway, I believe I'm at the final boss
Olivia Crab
and I'm actually having a hard time. And this is on the "hurt me plenty" difficulty. Can't imagine how hard it is on Nightmare or even Ultra Violence.

Have had fun with the game so far though. Game looks and runs so good on PS4. Not too crazy about the MP though. Hopped on last night to try it out but yeah, don't think it's for me. Also, can I replay previous missions using everything I've unlocked so far? Have a bunch of rune trial I need to do, as far as also finding secrets.

Well, good news.

I am getting close to the end on Nightmare, and my psu is fine, the rattling noise was a broken fan blade on one of my case fans.

Hilarious.

Tired savagery II and the one rune that let's you kill from RE5 Wesker levels of distance between enemies. AMAZING.

Sciz

I've been watching him here and there for the past few days. Somewhere past halfway through he finds and acknowledges a helmet.

Ouch. To get so far and fall. I wonder how many helmets there are on the final fight. That would be the worst.

I had to laugh when, right at the end of that one guy's UN speedrun, he stumbled across his own death marker somewhere well out of bounds in the final level.

Izuna

Banned
What sensitivity are you playing at if I might ask? I also set look smoothing to 0% when I got the game. I have my horizontal sens at 75% and vertical sens at 25%. I tried the "strafe" controller layout but my damn muscle memory is too used to using x to jump.

Anyway, I believe I'm at the final boss
Olivia Crab
and I'm actually having a hard time. And this is on the "hurt me plenty" difficulty. Can't imagine how hard it is on Nightmare or even Ultra Violence.

Have had fun with the game so far though. Game looks and runs so good on PS4. Not too crazy about the MP though. Hopped on last night to try it out but yeah, don't think it's for me. Also, can I replay previous missions using everything I've unlocked so far? Have a bunch of rune trial I need to do, as far as also finding secrets.

I play on 100 Horizontal and 86 Vertical.

Earlier in this thread I mentioned how easy it was to get used to and a couple of people tried and agreed. Being able to turn 180 in a moment is very important.

On console settings, which one is auto aim? Aim assist I presume or is that something different?

Aim assist is auto-aim. Turn it off.

Voror

I play on 100 Horizontal and 86 Vertical.

Earlier in this thread I mentioned how easy it was to get used to and a couple of people tried and agreed. Being able to turn 180 in a moment is very important.

Aim assist is auto-aim. Turn it off.

Thought so. Thank you.

Lore point:

I think Hayden was bullshitting
about transferring his mind to a robot because of brain cancer. He knew full well the kinds of risks involved with mining energy from hell, pertaining to people getting possessed, and took the step of roboticization to be immune to possession. Out of the three survivors on Mars, Doomguy, Hayden, and Pierce, the former two are completely immune to possession whilst the last is a servant of hell. That is not a simple coincidence.

Among a bunch of other things in the lore related to Hayden seeking to control hell, and Pierce seeking to serve hell.

Bravo id, bravo

The ending was great. Especially
the throwback image/animation to original doom after the first series of credits

Amazing game

My favorite aspect is the incredible music.

Wow, those high sensitivities... I had mine set to 40% horizontal and 30% vertical with turn acceleration off and beat it on Nightmare no problem-- tons of fun. Anything higher and my aim was all over the place.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Finished it a few days ago, and been grinding trophies since. I'm too shit at FPS games these days, so I had to do it on "I don't want to die", but I had a great time with the game. It really does feel like Doom 1 and 2 (although Hell looks kinda tame compared to the OG games, where are the inverted crosses, pentagrams and tortured soldiers?). Now, give me a Doom 2 where I get to kill
John Romero's head.

Btw, while the music is OK I would prefer thrash metal. How would I go about on the PS4 to achieve this, just turn off the in-game music and let Spotify play in the background, if that's possible?

Finished it a few days ago, and been grinding trophies since. I'm too shit at FPS games these days, so I had to do it on "I don't want to die", but I had a great time with the game. It really does feel like Doom 1 and 2 (although Hell looks kinda tame compared to the OG games, where are the inverted crosses, pentagrams and tortured soldiers?). Now, give me a Doom 2 where I get to kill
John Romero's head.

Btw, while the music is OK I would prefer thrash metal. How would I go about on the PS4 to achieve this, just turn off the in-game music and let Spotify play in the background, if that's possible?

Either Spotify or use a memory stick and the media player.

Voror

Question, can you replay missions on higher difficulty with all your upgrades or do you have to start from scratch every time.

Having a bit of a hard time on Ultra Violence which I know is sad, but it is what it is.

I understand your point of view, more thrash metal would fit almost every encounter. In my post above, I said the music was my favorite part--That is not to say all tracks were fitting to each area but there were quite a few circumstances when you start to hear that metal and the encounter becomes a realization of the soundtrack. Ignoring that this sounds like a forum elitist but the music synergizes so well with the gameplay in those scenarios that when it happens, it gave me a memorable experience.

Some of the encounters were a complete miss in those terms but the good outweighed the bad imo.

In reference to the ending credits again, who didn't get chills when that hard music escalated and
you saw doom guy fighting off demons per the original boxart

Brought me back to my early teens, I've since viewed youtube videos of the same thing just to feel that awesome-ness again.

Izuna

Banned
Question, can you replay missions on higher difficulty with all your upgrades or do you have to start from scratch every time.

Having a bit of a hard time on Ultra Violence which I know is sad, but it is what it is.

You can change the difficulties for the first free at any time in the menu. There is no penalty with achievements. Nightmare however, if you want to do it, you cannot change the difficulty.

There's no achievement for Nightmare though.

So I need one more trophy for my Platinum and it's the UAC Ultra nightmare one and...wow.... I knew it was going to be hard but holy shit.... I did my first play through on Ultra violence and I thought that Ultra nightmare couldn't be that much harder but boy was I wrong.

User1608

Banned
This is the very first Doom game I've ever played, and um, wow!!! It really takes me back to the more arcadey days of FPS and it's so simple yet insanely fun and cathartic!

Combichristoffersen

I understand your point of view, more thrash metal would fit almost every encounter. In my post above, I said the music was my favorite part--That is not to say all tracks were fitting to each area but there were quite a few circumstances when you start to hear that metal and the encounter becomes a realization of the soundtrack. Ignoring that this sounds like a forum elitist but the music synergizes so well with the gameplay in those scenarios that when it happens, it gave me a memorable experience.

Some of the encounters were a complete miss in those terms but the good outweighed the bad imo.

In reference to the ending credits again, who didn't get chills when that hard music escalated and
you saw doom guy fighting off demons per the original boxart

Brought me back to my early teens, I've since viewed youtube videos of the same thing just to feel that awesome-ness again.

Oh, I liked the music well enough. But E1M1 is the Doom track, so I'd want some old Metallica, Megadeth etc. as that sound gels better with Doom for me than anything else.

Wow, I'm such an idiot. I just figured out that you can choose where to assign energy points. I've been defaulting everything to health. No wonder I've been running out of ammo so quickly. So many unnecessary deaths.

Combichristoffersen

Dude try Dethklok, it works amazingly well.

Throw some Motorhead on there too.

Saw Motorhead live in December. I'm a grown man at nearly 32, but I was bawling my eyes out when I heard Lemmy died.

Will try some Dethklok! Also: Slayer - War Ensemble. Musically and lyrically it fits the game :p

Mohasus

Just finished the 6th chapter and I'm bored.

It feels like every combat is the same, circle strafe while shooting, press F once in a while, win the game. :(
And I'm not a fan of exploration in general.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
jesus I beat the game on hurt me plenty, was a good challenge.

starting a nightmare run. WHAT THE FUCK GAME.

1 imp ball murders you fucking dead. you pussy doom guy, man up some.

phierce

It feels like every combat is the same, circle strafe while shooting, press F once in a while, win the game. :(
Sounds like you're playing the wrong game, but then again, you're really not even to the meat of the game yet.

Saw Motorhead live in December. I'm a grown man at nearly 32, but I was bawling my eyes out when I heard Lemmy died.

Will try some Dethklok! Also: Slayer - War Ensemble. Musically and lyrically it fits the game :p

I cried both when Dio passed and when Lemmy passed, few artists have affected me so deeply.
David Bowie. :( Fuck you 2016.

Must haves on the playlist(Dethklok):

Black Fire Upon Us
The Cyborg Slayers
Bloodrocuted
Facefisted
Laser Cannon Death Sentence
Briefcase Full of Guts
I Ejaculate Fire
I tamper with the evidence at the murder site of Odin
Murmaider
Murmaider II: The Water God
Comet Song

I'd also add the entirety of Bomber by Motorhead.

I'm near the end and repetition has started to kick in. The gameplay can be incredibly fun, but it's very one-note. Doom 3 was a far more memorable game.

Doom 3 was a far more memorable game.

lqATqyK.gif

I'm near the end and repetition has started to kick in. The gameplay can be incredibly fun, but it's very one-note. Doom 3 was a far more memorable game.

I did go through a phase where I was feeling this a bit but that thankfully passed. It is my go-to game for stress relief and to take my mind off things. A true assault on the senses and so satisfying.

Moff

Doom16 is a much different game than Doom 3, I liked Doom 3 as well, but damn, it's nowhere near the satisfying gameplay Doom16 has

What difficulty you playing on? Thats how I felt until I bumped it up to Ultra Violence. Then the game actually became a challenge and stopped feeling like "press button to win."

I love the gameplay in this game. The rune challenges are surprisingly good. I'm on chapter 8, but for some reason I can't play this game for more than a chapter or two at a time. I feel that anymore would just be too repetitive. I know it makes no sense since I like what's there, but I always feel like stopping after 2 missions.

Also, if I'm not mistaken we can only equip 3 runes at a time.(I can only equip 2 right now though) I know that allowing us to equip everything would be too OP, but I have so many runes and I can only use 2 of them. It feels so limiting. I understand scaling it back on Nightmare for difficulty purposes, but why not 4-5 on other difficulties.

Edit: Siege shot with the Gauss Cannon. So good.

MiguelItUp

Opinions are opinions, but god do I wholeheartedly disagree. I really enjoyed DOOM 3 for what it was, it was different and a lot of people weren't expecting it to be such a change. But it still worked, and it worked really well in my opinion. That being said, I feel like DOOM (2016) is vastly superior in every way. It completely channels the vibe of the original games, so much so that it actually feels like a DOOM game. It also feels like what I'd expect a DOOM game to feel like in 2016, which is incredibly impressive IMO. I just finished the night before last on Hurt Me Plenty, and I can't believe how much enjoyment I had throughout the entire game. The flow was perfect and it kept me on the edge of my seat from the beginning to the end. I honestly can't remember the last time I had that much fun with an FPS campaign, and hell, an FPS title period. My only disappoint me lies with the multiplayer, which I do not think is god awful or terrible by any means. I've actually enjoyed it quite a bit the more I play it. But it feels like they were so close, but so far to making something that feels as solid as the campaign.

I'm still shocked that we finally got a DOOM game with a fairly beefy story. Not to mention a story that I'm actually interested in and I want to know more about. I'm really hoping a new Quake reboot is in the works, along with campaign DLC or just DOOM 2 straight up.

Ixion

Doom 3 was also repetitive in its own way. Doom 3 took the monster closet gameplay of classic Doom and built an entire game around it. So it's a lot of triggering actions (i.e. picking up a weapon or item) and then monsters pop out.

DOOM (2016) on the other hand took the fast-paced action side of classic Doom and built a game around that. With that said, DOOM also embraces a lot of the exploration aspects of classic Doom. So DOOM doesn't feel one-note to me for the most part. But as you eluded to, the final levels are very action heavy.

In the assumed sequel id Software needs to maintain the exploration and non-linearity into the final levels. That's my only real complaint for DOOM (plus the inconsistent sound mixing).

Top Bottom