• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Got my platinum. This is my first Platinum since I got my PS4 earlier this year and is probably my GOTY so far. Really enjoyed this.

Looking forward to the supposed Quake game. How would that differ from this game though? If I'm not mistaken Quake was pretty much just a spiritual successor to Doom so what will the new game do differently from DOOM aside from story/setting differences (or should it do anything differently?)

No bugs on trophies?

Got my platinum. This is my first Platinum since I got my PS4 earlier this year and is probably my GOTY so far. Really enjoyed this.

Looking forward to the supposed Quake game. How would that differ from this game though? If I'm not mistaken Quake was pretty much just a spiritual successor to Doom so what will the new game do differently from DOOM aside from story/setting differences (or should it do anything differently?)
Doom was single player focused while the Quake series was known for its multiplayer advancements.

sn00zer

Love it...

"I don't want to give spoilers... but
SPOILER HAHAHAHA
"

From what you say in this review, I think you would love Syndicate.

Yeah I have a bad habit of that.... I do need to try Syndicate, I heard the PS3 version is pretty bad and I dont have a gaming pc

KahooTs

I did health first as well on nightmare and thought it was the right choice, I never ran out of ammo

Did the same, I assume it was having the glory kills drop more ammo rune equipped that made ammo a non factor. Chainsaw was always there as backup anyway.

JRW

Playing this game with a Mouse and Keyboard is a revelation.

Yeah ive played 17 hours on PC so far and we also have it on PS4 (nephew plays it) It's just not the same with a controller lol

kudos to ID for optimizing it so well on consoles tho, (PS4 at least).

Jombie

13308265_10207649910059047_3292121172173392789_o.jpg

Novocaine

Finally got around to finishing the campaign. I usually play games on the standard difficulty but I decided to go for Ultra Violence this time around and I'm glad I did, it just felt right from start to finish. Although it did feel like it got easier closer to the end, there was a lot of BFG ammo lying about. Played on Xbox, performance was great considering and the controlling was perfectly fīne although I'm sure M+KB would be better, isn't an option for me any more.

Still need to go back and get a few secrets I missed. I'll probably go for all the achievements unless one of them is super dumb. Thinking I'll skip the MP for now because I have Overwatch. If they add an arena mode ala Q3 that has all weapons and no Demon transforms I'll drop Overwatch in a heartbeat for that, but currently I don't enjoy it all that much. It's not super bad but Overwatch is just more fun at the present.

Overall very happy with the game. The original Doom games where the games that made me fall in love with video games and were also my first big gaming obsessions, makīng levels and fucking around with DeHacked etc. This game felt very true to the spirit of the originals.

Anyone playing mp on this? I feel there's a learning curve but once you get it, it clicks. Not sure there's much to do, though. Seems the unlocks run out pretty quickly, and the hack module system doesn't seem very deep.

Levito

Banned
Does anyone have an advice for the IDDQD achievement? Seems like you have to put in a lot of hours to upgrade all those runes...

Moff

Does anyone have an advice for the IDDQD achievement? Seems like you have to put in a lot of hours to upgrade all those runes...

I thought so, too, but you can do it in the first playthrough without any kind of cheesing or boosting.
you can later equip up to 3 runes, so just always switch them out when you upgraded one and try to kill monsters the right way.

upgrading all the weapons took longer (and some reloading in some areas with lots of possessed workers)

Is it just me or does this game not really work well my Gsync? I'm a little bit confused because I just tested it and the game runs miles smoother when I put the ingame vsync on instead on off... With Vsync 60fps on it's butter smooth (although I don't really understand why it limits the game to 60 fps when I had a 144 hz monitor...) but with Vsync off I get 100+ fps but it's noticeably stutters. And I can clearly see the tearing... What the heck?

Hazmat

They're really not that hard to max out. I did a little grinding after finishing it at the beginning of the Foundry. You get six possessed and one possessed soldier right across the first bridge, and the checkpoint is right before so you can keep killing them over and over again.

Cindro

Heyo! Thinking of renting this, but I'd only have today + some of tonight to play it.

How long is the campaign? I'm used to modern shooters being ultra short - any chance I could beat it if that was the main thing I spent my day on?

FHIZ

Heyo! Thinking of renting this, but I'd only have today + some of tonight to play it.

How long is the campaign? I'm used to modern shooters being ultra short - any chance I could beat it if that was the main thing I spent my day on?

Normal difficulty + not really looking around for secrets, I'd guess you could beat the game in 10 to 12 hours.

Cindro

Normal difficulty + not really looking around for secrets, I'd guess you could beat the game in 10 to 12 hours.
Oh wow! That's a few hours longer than I expected. Maybe I'll just wait then - I'm dying to play this game, but I'm sure I'll enjoy it more if I take the time to properly explore and appreciate it.

Alright my friend, thanks for the info!

Skulldead

Got a bug Trophy.... the one for all master weapon.... this is stupid... missing 2 for platinum.....3 patch, and nothing for this ?

Doom was single player focused while the Quake series was known for its multiplayer advancements.

I know that over the years this has been the general opinion, but for Doom 1's launch this simply wasn't true. Quake just refined what they had already been doing and those refinements translated to the MP.

Lego Boss

Just picked this up and completed Resource Ops.

I love the exploration angle, it really adds a different dimension when you see a room that you have no idea how to get into, then you drop into it.

Supreme level design and dat chainsaw . . . So much fun.

Just picked this up and completed Resource Ops.

I love the exploration angle, it really adds a different dimension when you see a room that you have no idea how to get into, then you drop into it.

Supreme level design and dat chainsaw . . . So much fun.

You are in for a awesome ride. Enjoy it.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Got a bug Trophy.... the one for all master weapon.... this is stupid... missing 2 for platinum.....3 patch, and nothing for this ?

Still nothing
It's weird because I got this trophy and not the What Else Ya Got? one. Other people just got the Platinum doing fine. Doesn't make any sense

How do you open those gates with the circular holes in them in mission 6? There are a bunch of secrets I can't access that are behind them.

Am in love with Doom. Just spent the entire day cleaning up the campaign. Now have all single player achievements. All weapon unlocks, secrets and collectibles found. What a fucking incredible game.

Started to speedrun it too.
UAC in 1:40 NG+ -Xbox One (Uses lots of glitches)

Haven't touched the multiplayer yet. Do people on here go on it often or are they on that Overwatch hype train?

Levito

Banned
They're really not that hard to max out. I did a little grinding after finishing it at the beginning of the Foundry. You get six possessed and one possessed soldier right across the first bridge, and the checkpoint is right before so you can keep killing them over and over again.

Thanks I was able to do it much quicker than expected.

Terrorblot

My GTX 1080 finally ended up rolling in so now I can finally play 1440p with settings maxed, I've been holding out on finishing the game so I wouldn't ruin it too much. I played the first half low settings with an FPS of like 25-30. It was painful but even that way this game has been such a fantastic surprise. I kind of hope the team works on some similar games in the near future with different settings, The Hell on Mars motif is cool and can't be messed around with for DOOM itself but honestly it's a bit too much for me sometimes.

Its so hard to find a Match of anything not named Team deathmatch. There are not many usera, and we will get a season pass that will make it worse. I hope they do something anout it for those of us who enjoy the mp.

pa22word

Haven't touched the multiplayer yet. Do people on here go on it often or are they on that Overwatch hype train?

Even if overwatch wasn't out people still wouldn't play it, really.

Especially on Xbone because they have the better Halo experience sitting right there with H5.

Neiteio

Don't know if it's been posted, but there's an interview on GamesRadar with Marty Stratton and Hugo Martin - the first, I believe, since the game has released. It's a lot more candid in terms of the game's development history and it's influences, than any pre-release interview - very interesting, I think, if you have an hour to spare to watch it.
Just watched the entire thing. Really great interview once it gets going. You can tell the dev team was so passionate about this game, from its focus on fun to its subtle storytelling to its sense of humor.

They also mentioned there's a big update planned that will apply to all three modes: single-player, multiplayer and SnapMap. Hmm...

Just got the game today and loving the shit out of it. Played from the beginning through the first Hell level in one sitting on Ultra-violence.

The combat is so white knuckle, like holy crap. Stand still for a few seconds or get cornered against more than one or two enemies and watch your health melt. I immediately switched my controls to bumper jumper (Strafe) and proceeded to bounce around arenas like a madman, bunny hopping all over the place while slaughtering my enemies. I'm also loving how varied the fights are - arenas that focus on verticality with not a ton of cover, arenas that focus on one plane with an abundance of cover, and everything in between - not just because of the arena layout variety, but also the enemy variety. Imps move around like crazy and sling projectiles from every which way, Hell Razers try to snipe, Knights rush you down for melee, etc. The use of power ups is also excellent, with even a single one potentially adding a ton of strategy to fights. The last fight in the Hell level I played kicked my ass a handful of times, until my best use of quad damage yet sealed the deal. Outstanding combat. Few action games have me pausing after a fight and thinking "holy shit, I just fucking did that".

I'm also being constantly surprised at how engaged I am with the downtime. When combat is on, I'm highly engaged and fighting for my life. When combat mode switches off, I find myself remaining at a high level of engagement looking for secrets. Not only are they satisfying to find and often well-hidden, but they yield huge benefits. While not every weapon mod is a winner, every weapon seems to have at least one mod that dramatically impacts combat, and every single secret contributes to powering these mods up. I probably spent 20-30 minutes running around the second level, having cleared everything else out, looking for one blasted secret I missed. I eventually found it after some serious Metroid Prime-ing, and it felt pretty damn good. No autopiloting through the downtime in this game. Barring the occasional short first-person cutscene (blah, but it's a 2016 video game), the game has me in the zone at all times. Just how I like it.

I didn't even mention the killer soundtrack, the platforming (Space Jump boots!), or how nice the game looks despite running at a nearly locked 60FPS on PS4. Not sure what else to say...game is just a ton of fun, and exactly what I needed right now after, uh...a certain other game. Hopefully it holds up!

Neiteio

Just got the game today and loving the shit out of it. Played from the beginning through the first Hell level in one sitting on Ultra-violence.

The combat is so white knuckle, like holy crap. Stand still for a few seconds or get cornered against more than one or two enemies and watch your health melt. I immediately switched my controls to bumper jumper (Strafe) and proceeded to bounce around arenas like a madman, bunny hopping all over the place while slaughtering my enemies. I'm also loving how varied the fights are - arenas that focus on verticality with not a ton of cover, arenas that focus on one plane with an abundance of cover, and everything in between - not just because of the arena layout variety, but also the enemy variety. Imps move around like crazy and sling projectiles from every which way, Hell Razers try to snipe, Knights rush you down for melee, etc. The use of power ups is also excellent, with even a single one potentially adding a ton of strategy to fights. The last fight in the Hell level I played kicked my ass a handful of times, until my best use of quad damage yet sealed the deal. Outstanding combat. Few action games have me pausing after a fight and thinking "holy shit, I just fucking did that".

I'm also being constantly surprised at how engaged I am with the downtime. When combat is on, I'm highly engaged and fighting for my life. When combat mode switches off, I find myself remaining at a high level of engagement looking for secrets. Not only are they satisfying to find and often well-hidden, but they yield huge benefits. While not every weapon mod is a winner, every weapon seems to have at least one mod that dramatically impacts combat, and every single secret contributes to powering these mods up. I probably spent 20-30 minutes running around the second level, having cleared everything else out, looking for one blasted secret I missed. I eventually found it after some serious Metroid Prime-ing, and it felt pretty damn good. No autopiloting through the downtime in this game. Barring the occasional short first-person cutscene (blah, but it's a 2016 video game), the game has me in the zone at all times. Just how I like it.

I didn't even mention the killer soundtrack, the platforming (Space Jump boots!), or how nice the game looks despite running at a nearly locked 60FPS on PS4. Not sure what else to say...game is just a ton of fun, and exactly what I needed right now after, uh...a certain other game. Hopefully it holds up!
Aww yiss, I knew you would love it!

latest

Lernaean

Banned
Glad to see so many picking it up because of all this good word of mouth, and loving it.
It was an outsider for me too. This thread made me buy it, and it's now one of my GoaTs, and definitely my GotG.

PS. I died from a sniper imp in UN yesterday. It was so funny though, cause i was running like crazy and i saw a small dot in the other side of the map, growing in size as it flew towards me, and hit me straight to a shower of guts and limbs. I never expected to be hit from so far away that randomly XD

this fucking game man. I don't think I've moved around in a shooter this much since I played Unreal Tournament. Even bulletstorm wasn't this hectic. It steps up big time once you go to hell.

and to think I wrote it off pre-release too. Such a damn fun shooter.

Well, this is the last time I give ID the benefit of the doubt. After being hyped for this and letting it download all weekend I finally get treated to a stuttering and crashing splash screen that can barely reach the game. After 10 minutes of waiting it finally beats the splash screen and because I have a controller plugged in it locks out my M+K controls. Great!

Seriously thinking of just refunding this before I go any further. I was hyped for trying my first Doom game but this is too many hurdles.

Well, this is the last time I give ID the benefit of the doubt. After being hyped for this and letting it download all weekend I finally get treated to a stuttering and crashing splash screen that can barely reach the game. After 10 minutes of waiting it finally beats the splash screen and because I have a controller plugged in it locks out my M+K controls. Great!

Seriously thinking of just refunding this before I go any further. I was hyped for trying my first Doom game but this is too many hurdles.

Dude, press a key on your keyboard or unplug your controller and then replug it in.

Whenever I start DOOM it automatically selects gamepad controls, but as soon as you use your keyboard by hitting any key it switches over to PC controls, even the prompts change.

lazygecko

I never had the game flat out lock me out of keyboard and mouse controls. But it did have a bad habit of disabling the mouse cursor in the menus every now and then as long as controller input was enabled. You can disable it in the menu.

Dude, press a key on your keyboard or unplug your controller and then replug it in.

Whenever I start DOOM it automatically selects gamepad controls, but as soon as you use your keyboard by hitting any key it switches over to PC controls, even the prompts change.

Huh, that is really odd. I was moving the mouse and clicking that but nothing, yet hit the keyboard and it switches. Oh well at least I can actually get on with trying it now though. This splash screen is straight up broken though. It's completely hit or miss if it will play fine or stutter and crash the game.

Top Bottom