• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Also, just because I forgot to mention it, a lot of times on a fresh install of DOOM(tried it twice) the opening logos will lag, but that usually stops on the second time you boot the game and thereafter.

Also, make sure you are running the latest drivers.

Also, just because I forgot to mention it, a lot of times on a fresh install of DOOM(tried it twice) the opening logos will lag, but that usually stops on the second time you boot the game and thereafter.

Also, make sure you are running the latest drivers.

Thanks, yeah the splash screen lag seems to be balancing out. I can't have the latest drivers unfortunately since they completely screw my system up causing screen tear constantly. Getting some really odd framerate problems too just in this first room. Regardless of whether it's on Low or Ultra there's a lot of slowdown. Figured a 4790k + 970 could at least do medium.

I really like the fluidity of movement from what I've seen but man, they're making me work for this. I guess it calls back to the older days of PC gaming in more ways than first thought since it feels like I'm gonna need to dabble a lot to get this running right. I suppose I could swap it to my SSD but I didn't expect issues on lower settings, and I'm not entirely sure if it's my HDD at fault either.

I thought I was done with shooters, then I started this shit up.

Stopped played friggin Uncharted 4 because of this game. Holy crap, thank god Bethesda told id to scrap the old version and go this way. Loving the combat, loving the secret searching. God damn this game is good.

Dropping a Holo grenade then hitting them with two charges Siege Gauss shots is the quickest way I've discovered to take out the
big red satans

MazeHaze

Banned
Thanks, yeah the splash screen lag seems to be balancing out. I can't have the latest drivers unfortunately since they completely screw my system up causing screen tear constantly. Getting some really odd framerate problems too just in this first room. Regardless of whether it's on Low or Ultra there's a lot of slowdown. Figured a 4790k + 970 could at least do medium.

I really like the fluidity of movement from what I've seen but man, they're making me work for this. I guess it calls back to the older days of PC gaming in more ways than first thought since it feels like I'm gonna need to dabble a lot to get this running right. I suppose I could swap it to my SSD but I didn't expect issues on lower settings, and I'm not entirely sure if it's my HDD at fault either.

Something is definitely not right with your system. I'm on a 4690k and a 980 and I get around 100 fps on ultra with only an HDD as well. You should def be able to at least get a locked 60 on the highest settings.

KingV

Well, this is the last time I give ID the benefit of the doubt. After being hyped for this and letting it download all weekend I finally get treated to a stuttering and crashing splash screen that can barely reach the game. After 10 minutes of waiting it finally beats the splash screen and because I have a controller plugged in it locks out my M+K controls. Great!

Seriously thinking of just refunding this before I go any further. I was hyped for trying my first Doom game but this is too many hurdles.

What controller are you using? With a 360 controller and the wireless adapter you can use the mouse and controller simultaneously. I used the left stick to move and the mouse to aim for part of the game.

Gitaroo

I have the same setup. Definitely 60fps all the way until the end, I know for the fact because I ways have the fps displayed. Turn on triple buffer in your control panel.

Something is definitely not right with your system. I'm on a 4690k and a 980 and I get around 100 fps on ultra with only an HDD as well. You should def be able to at least get a locked 60 on the highest settings.

Yeah it's odd. I was kinda thinking it shouldn't run this bad. It's fine outdoors at ultra but inside I get really random drops. I swapped out to high and was getting 60fps then but needed to close an open it again first.

I have the same setup. Definitely 60fps all the way until the end, I know for the fact because I ways have the fps displayed. Turn on triple buffer in your control panel.

Thanks, I'll give this a shot and see if it makes any difference.

Edit: Ok this is now running fine. Seems my system had defaulted to an AA solution that was asking for too much. I just wanna say that as someone who's never played Doom or Quake but loved UT, this is so incredibly satisfying. It's got the twitchy feel I was really hoping for.

Yeah it's odd. I was kinda thinking it shouldn't run this bad. It's fine outdoors at ultra but inside I get really random drops. I swapped out to high and was getting 60fps then but needed to close an open it again first.

Thanks, I'll give this a shot and see if it makes any difference.

Edit: Ok this is now running fine. Seems my system had defaulted to an AA solution that was asking for too much. I just wanna say that as someone who's never played Doom or Quake but loved UT, this is so incredibly satisfying. It's got the twitchy feel I was really hoping for.

Yeah the game defaults to some ridiculous but pretty AA setting which can affect anything under a 980 or so from what I've seen. I can enable the crazy AA setting for like maybe 5-10 FPS cost but I find the game completely fine without it. Really clean looking.

That C
yberdemon
boss fight was actually dope. Somehow I'm just noticing that triangle =
BFG
and square =
chainsaw.
I've missed the c
hainsaw.

Quake II is the GOAT, no hyperbole. I wish the N64 version was ported to next gen consoles.

Any Doom and Quake game's version with Aubrey Hodges' soundtracks needs to be ported in some capacity. The guy was fucking amazing. I'm about to get into PSX Doom TC on PC for that reason. I just finished replaying Doom 64 via the PC mod and it was just as great as I had remembered it from back in the day. Very evil atmosphere, the music in that one was outstanding.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
dammit, Game has begun crashing regularly in swarmy areas late in the game.. Any quickfixes for this? because it's really killing my joy having to do these kill rooms over and over
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif

id really tried to capture that badassness from the old games. The intro text to chapter 3:
Samuel whatever his name is offer you his help. You don't need it. Just some ammo and guns.
Gave me good chuckle.

This game man.... Has my heart already.

Joeku

dammit, Game has begun crashing regularly in swarmy areas late in the game.. Any quickfixes for this? because it's really killing my joy having to do these kill rooms over and over
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif

I am also finally starting to get crashes later in the game. Level...10?
Titan Grave
or something like that. Is this common?

My god what an enjoyable experience. I wish I hadn't had so many other games in my backlog because I all I want to do is play through the whole game again but on a harder difficulty.

I Just finished the campaign and enjoyed my ride through hell. That said, I was hoping for some memorable characters and a fleshed out story to go along with the frantic gameplay.

LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif

Damnit...I just had another crash to desktop, right as I was getting up to
the BFG

i've been having rampant CTDs too (regularly one every 20-30 minutes). however, going off a random forum post mentioning something about playing the game over HDMI to a TV, I decided to play exclusively on my PC monitors (over Displayport) and went 2 entire missions without a single problem.

not sure if this is your scenario, but maybe give it a shot if so.

id really tried to capture that badassness from the old games. The intro text to chapter 3:
Samuel whatever his name is offer you his help. You don't need it. Just some ammo and guns.
Gave me good chuckle.

This game man.... Has my heart already.
Yeah, the tone throughout is excellent.

Just finished it. I need a sequel.

I think I've started a new game about 10 times now, just to replay the intro. The title sequence with the marine cracking his knuckles and smashing the monitor, just before some stupidly heavy guitar riff kicks in over the title, has easily got be the most hype opening in pretty much any game, ever.

Levyne

Banned
I just beat the game earlier today.

It was definitely some of the most fun I've had in a shooter in a good while, but I do feel like some of the design kinda got lost going into the final few maps. It became much more obviously hallway-arena-hallway-arena. Wolfenstein TNO did something similar: opened up with some labyrinthine maps but kinda lost that direction further into the game. It was still a ton of fun! But I just liked the earlier maps more.

Also I'm glad I started on Ultra Violence since by the end game you have so many weapons, so many powerups available to you that it didn't really matter how many Barons of Hell or Mancubi the game threw at you. Especially if you had the armor-on-glory-kill and the second chance runes or whatever they were called.

I also kinda felt that there were a few too many x/y objectives in the game. Did maps, weapons, AND runes need those? It felt like a little much? Not a deal breaker but just kinda a nitpick.

I'm looking forward to the dlc/standalone whatever that follows up on how the game ended.

YuShtink

Just got to level 10 on my 2nd playthrough. Ultra-Violence this time. Shame on me for doing Hurt Me Plenty my first time around. I had a blast with the game but it got a bit too easy. Ultra-Violence has been so good. The increased challenge is perfect, and the curve hasn't been too steep. Only a couple runes have given me trouble. Rich Get Richer and Saving Throw took me quite a few tries.

Simo

Just jumping in here to say I finally beat campaign last night and what a ride! It took me a while because I ended up getting sucked into multiplayer and enjoying it a whole lot more than I did the beta, that and going between titles like Doom and Uncharted 4.

I really hope Doom performs great sales wise to justify a follow up and it was one of the best FPS campaign experiences I had in a long time. I don't even think I found half of the secrets too or the hidden OG levels. lol

Oh and it has to be said....Best "End Credits" ever! I loved it! lol The whole package really was sublime on PS4.

mokeyjoe

I Just finished the campaign and enjoyed my ride through hell. That said, I was hoping for some memorable characters and a fleshed out story to go along with the frantic gameplay.

I think the story and characters are actually surprisingly well fleshed out, if you go looking for it. There's a lot of really well thought out stuff in the codexes, but it keeps it out of the way of the gameplay deliberately. I also like the fact they leave quite a bit open to speculation and rather ambiguous, allowing you to build your own theories and suspicions about the characters motives and intentions. I mean what is S. Hayden's (Satan's?) deal anyway?

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I think the story and characters are actually surprisingly well fleshed out, if you go looking for it. There's a lot of really well thought out stuff in the codexes, but it keeps it out of the way of the gameplay deliberately. I also like the fact they leave quite a bit open to speculation and rather ambiguous, allowing you to build your own theories and suspicions about the characters motives and intentions. I mean what is S. Hayden's (Satan's?) deal anyway?

Samuel
http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/General_Hayden

Was anyone else hoping for some peculiar characters and a fleshed out story accommodating the awesome gameplay?

I thought there were peculiar characters and a perfectly fitting story. It's Doom! Do you mean like Wolfenstein with lots of cut scenes and slow character development? Then, no, I definitely did not want that.

Neiteio

Whoa, he was supposed to be in Doom 3?

That's nuts.

He's a great character, love the voicework! The dude they got really put himself into the role. I was stunned at how good his performance was, subtle and not over the top. That said, Hell Fracking is a terrible idea that can only go wrong.
I agree. Samuel was an excellent character.

It'd be cool if we fought him in story DLC.
He's like 9 feet tall and could attack with the sword form of the Crucible!

I agree, but the more cynical side of me can't help but feel
this probably WAS the last level of the game, and they decided to milk it for DLC.

mokeyjoe

I think he'll be in the sequel. Especially with his cybernetic transcendence shtick. Maybe once Doomguy trashes him he becomes the new icon of sin. I mean the only real bit of him left is his brain, which is what you shoot to kill the IoS. Not counting Romero's head.

Top Bottom