• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

I agree. Samuel was an excellent character.

It'd be cool if we fought him in story DLC.
He's like 9 feet tall and could attack with the sword form of the Crucible!

Dude what if they take him and
morph him into a huge version of the classic cyberdemon from the box art, and you fight him in front of the Icon of Sin, which now looks more like the giger-esque biomechanical look from DOOM 2 and is asleep. Until you defeat CyberHayden, and then try to claim the crucible, Que dramatic entry of the Icon of Sin painfully extracting itself from the wall revealing itself to be a huge titan.

And then my friends, the Doom Marine says a certain phrase.

A very corny phrase.

YOU ARE HUGE
YOU HAVE HUGE GUTS
RIP AND TEAR.

Fade to black, DOOM 2V coming 2020. TO BE CONTINUED.

Just kidding, you fight that titan and push its shit back in.

Neiteio

Dude what if they take him and
morph him into a huge version of the classic cyberdemon from the box art, and you fight him in front of the Icon of Sin, which now looks more like the giger-esque biomechanical look from DOOM 2 and is asleep. Until you defeat CyberHayden, and then try to claim the crucible, Que dramatic entry of the Icon of Sin painfully extracting itself from the wall revealing itself to be a huge titan.

And then my friends, the Doom Marine says a certain phrase.

A very corny phrase.

YOU ARE HUGE
YOU HAVE HUGE GUTS
RIP AND TEAR.

Fade to black, DOOM 2V coming 2020. TO BE CONTINUED.

Just kidding, you fight that titan and push its shit back in.
That'd be amazing. However,
Icon of Sin already appears in Mission 11.
But it's be cool to fight him!

That'd be amazing. However,
Icon of Sin already appears in Mission 11.
But it's be cool to fight him!

But bruh, what if
that isn't the real Icon of Sin.

040723_MNightShyamalan_bcol_2p.grid-4x2.jpg

TripOpt55

Finished this up tonight. While I was looking forward to this game, it definitely exceeded my expectations. Really fantastic FPS campaign. A must play for fans of shooting stuff.

Obviously it starts with the core shooting. I love really mobile combat and this game really delivers on that front especially once you get the double jump. They have some fantastic arena designs that really promote players using that mobility. And then there is just a ton of depth. All of your weapons with really cool alternate fires (sometimes two). Glory kills. The Chainsaw. The BFG. Grenades. Lots of varied enemy types which have you using all the different weapons at your disposal to find which works best for different baddies/situations. And of course, it controls great. Bosses were fun too. They just nailed this aspect.

I think the two things that really took this from a great shooter to something slightly more for me were all the side objectives and the level design. Starting with the side objectives, I just love all these other little tasks they give you to accomplish while you play. Like the three level challenges each chapter. Or the way to get final upgrades for weapon mods or Runes. Or the little abstract arena things where you get the Runes. It just gives you a little more to do while you shoot stuff. And it was fun. By the end, I had like a million things to keep track of with what I was supposed to be doing for the various upgrades, but by that point I was kind of focused on staying alive/beating the game, so not a big deal. I feel compelled to go back and finish doing all this stuff though which is a good sign.

And then I was really impressed with the level design. Exploring between big combat encounters was a lot of fun. I have so much to play right now and I was honestly just planning to run through this. I don’t tend to explore a ton in really action-focused games. But soon enough I was scouring levels for secrets. They did a good job of constantly rewarding you with the upgrades to your suit, abilities, weapons mods, and Runes that made exploring really worthwhile. It is too bad that this fantastic level design kind of gets thrown out the window in the last few chapters where they basically just hand you a bunch of loosely strewn together arenas. I get the want to ramp up in intensity towards the end via more combat, but I wish the better balance of combat/exploration was sustained a bit longer.

Still getting all the secrets and further upgrading my weapons has me wanting to go back and replay some of the levels. I was just renting it and with Mirror’s Edge a couple days away/plus my ongoing addiction to Uncharted 4 multiplayer, I will be sending Doom back for now. But I definitely plan to buy this when I get the chance to give it another playthrough.

I also really like that it and Wolfenstein deliver fairly different takes on the FPS. I had some friends comparing the two before I got to play this and I ended up loving them both for different reasons. Wolfenstein gave me a surprisingly great narrative and group of characters. It had that neat base of operations. The little laser tool you could use. The stealth approaches where it puts to good use its well thought out level designs offering different approaches to start the encounters. Doom is obviously much more of a run and gun shooter and its impressive level design brings back the old labyrinthian maps of yesteryear with so many modern FPS going for really linear designs. I don’t know they are both really cool in their own ways.

Anyway, Doom will likely rank very high on my GotY list come year’s end (runner-up at the moment). Great game.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Hey dudes. Been kinda jumping between this and Overwatch, both on PC. Has anyone else experienced Doom completely within the past 48 hours losing controller support? Damndest thing.

I was playing it on Saturday with a Logitech wireless controller as always. This morning wanted to try to finish the campaign and I can't get any of my controllers to work. When I try the controller on Alan Wake and Overwatch no problem. It allows me to navigate in Big Picture mode even, but when I try to select Doom Steam warns me that the game relies on Keyboard and Mouse. I have never gotten this warning before today and I know for a fact the game plays perfectly with a controller.

Anyone else had this happen within the past 48 hours? I'm not finding any mention of this on the internet.

Bedlam

I haven't played Killing Floor, but "co-op horde mode" sounds perfect for this game, especially if it supports local split-screen on consoles. That'd be the dream!
Splitscreen coop would be so good for this game - I'd even accept 30fps for that mode if necessary.

mokeyjoe

I haven't played Killing Floor, but "co-op horde mode" sounds perfect for this game, especially if it supports local split-screen on consoles. That'd be the dream!

I'd love split screen. Snapmap can do horde modes right?

I dont think split screen campaign would work. Just using the hologram seems enough to regularly break the AI.

Finished the game last night. The start of VEGA Central Processing gave me huge flashbacks to the Phendrana space pirate outpost in Metroid Prime, good god. Anyway, loved the game from start to finish. It ended just as I was starting to get my fill, which felt appropriate.

I can't say enough about the game's bosses. They're fast paced, dynamic, and highly interactive. Basically, they take a massive shit on damn near every FPS boss I can think of since Metroid Prime 3. Attack patterns are varied and interesting - demanding constant, specific reaction from the player (no hiding behind a wall until they make themselves vulnerable, thank fucking god). Even just with the Cyberdemon, he has wave attacks you have to jump over, aerial missiles that force you to find a safe zone, and a lock-on beam that requires you to read where it's going to settle on and move in the opposite direction. And there's cool stuff to watch out for like being able to knocking a spinning Hell Guard out of its attack, then line it up so that the second Hell Guard blasts it with some not so friendly fire. The last boss in particular has so many fucking attacks it's ridiculous - my favorite is probably the two horizontal laser sweeps that you have to jump over, then quickly crouch under to dodge. It all feels so right. If there's ever a DOOM 2, I hope id doubles down on bosses, because goddamn, not only are they utterly fantastic at designing them, but in the absence of new Metroid Prime games this is all we really have in the shooter space. Just superb work here.

Incredible game to me. So many options in combat that all feel rewarding and satisfying, engaging level and secret design that keeps the experience interesting when not in combat, fantastic technical presentation on PS4, a face-melting soundtrack, and boss designs that school nearly everything else out there when the genre has been in a massive fucking rut with them for years. Bravo, id. One of the very best shooters in years, and in ways that I never expected.

Neiteio

Finished the game last night. The start of VEGA Central Processing gave me huge flashbacks to the Phendrana space pirate outpost in Metroid Prime, good god. Anyway, loved the game from start to finish. It ended just as I was starting to get my fill, which felt appropriate.

I can't say enough about the game's bosses. They're fast paced, dynamic, and highly interactive. Basically, they take a massive shit on damn near every FPS boss I can think of since Metroid Prime 3. Attack patterns are varied and interesting - demanding constant, specific reaction from the player (no hiding behind a wall until they make themselves vulnerable, thank fucking god). Even just with the Cyberdemon, he has wave attacks you have to jump over, aerial missiles that force you to find a safe zone, and a lock-on beam that requires you to read where it's going to settle on and move in the opposite direction. And there's cool stuff to watch out for like being able to knocking a spinning Hell Guard out of its attack, then line it up so that the second Hell Guard blasts it with some not so friendly fire. The last boss in particular has so many fucking attacks it's ridiculous - my favorite is probably the two horizontal laser sweeps that you have to jump over, then quickly crouch under to dodge. It all feels so right. If there's ever a DOOM 2, I hope id doubles down on bosses, because goddamn, not only are they utterly fantastic at designing them, but in the absence of new Metroid Prime games this is all we really have in the shooter space. Just superb work here.

Incredible game to me. So many options in combat that all feel rewarding and satisfying, engaging level and secret design that keeps the experience interesting when not in combat, fantastic technical presentation on PS4, a face-melting soundtrack, and boss designs that school nearly everything else out there when the genre has been in a massive fucking rut with them for years. Bravo, id. One of the very best shooters in years, and in ways that I never expected.
Now join me in praying for story DLC!

Fuck, I didn't even mention how good the map system is. It's easy to use and conveys 3D space in a clear and concise manner. Together with the platforming, I'm not kidding when I say DOOM could almost pass for a Metroid Prime sequel where Samus goes apeshit and starts ripping and tearing everything into oblivion.

how is everything so good

Now join me in praying for story DLC!

*plays BFG Division while reciting demonic incantations*

Neiteio

Fuck, I didn't even mention how good the map system is. It's easy to use and conveys 3D space in a clear and concise manner. Together with the platforming, I'm not kidding when I say DOOM could almost pass for a Metroid Prime sequel where Samus goes apeshit and starts ripping and tearing everything into oblivion.

how is everything so good

*plays BFG Division while reciting demonic incantations*
I like to think DOOM is a metaphor for Samus snapping and going postal after seeing what her franchise has become with Other M and Federation Force.

bathsalts

Was anyone else hoping for some peculiar characters and a fleshed out story accommodating the awesome gameplay?

Fuck no, I'd be disappointed if they allocated much budget to story and cinematics, and despite this Doomguy comes off better written than most characters. Piles of cutscenes just aren't needed, and a cast of characters thrown in would lessen the game.

There are AAA games with fleshed out stories and peculiar characters all over the place and they almost all suck tbh.

So I just finished
Argent Tower
on Ultra Nightmare, but my game has frozen on a black screen before the score screen loaded... all I can do is reboot and I'm so afraid that it is going to delete my save file :D

Lgndryhr

game is gonna be 39.99 at best buy next week (31.99 with gcu) if anyone is on the fence.

Just barely inside 30-day window for Elite. I feel like the game was worth every penny of the GCU price I paid plus the pre-order bonus. May still call though because that's a decent amount back.

Finished this earlier. Game was so refreshing after Uncharted 4. Hell Guards and the final boss were great. I wish this game had more bosses. Final boss was really intense because I was out of ammo on all my weapons except the pistol for a lengthy stretch once I got her down to half. Hoping for some single player DLC.

Neiteio

So, what's the deal with the knight statues in hell?
I'm not sure, so don't take this as gospel, but I seem to recall they're called Night Sentinels in the demonic tablets, and they might've been guardians of Argent d'Nur (one of the ancient civilizations conquered by Hell)? So maybe they're like cousins of the Doom Marine. We don't know where the marine comes from, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's a connection there.

A-V-B

I'm not sure, so don't take this as gospel, but I seem to recall they're called Night Sentinels in the demonic tablets, and they might've been guardians of Argent d'Nur (one of the ancient civilizations conquered by Hell)? So maybe they're like cousins of the Doom Marine. We don't know where the marine comes from, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's a connection there.

I always thought that the Doom Marine was the most badass of the Night Sentinels? Isn't that how it goes?

Neiteio

I always thought that the Doom Marine was the most badass of the Night Sentinels? Isn't that how it goes?
You might be right about the Doom Marine and the Night Sentinels. Here's one interpretation by someone on Reddit (the following is a quote):
"Some people seem to keep making assumptions about these guys, so I got the full story. This is a long TL;DR from the codex and beastiary. As well as some extra info in the strings."

"The Sentinels are ancient soldiers in hell, along with the Doomslayer. They have all died, but Doomslayer was the leader of them. In the Slayer's Testament, it says that "he wears the crown of the Night's Sentinels." There has also only been one Titan that's known. The Great One, the one that Doomslayer fought on the Desolate Plains. The Sentinels also aren't legendary, they serve the Doomslayer."

"Continued: Doomslayer and the Sentinels protect the Elemental Wraiths. When the Slayer and the Sentinels were under attack by their enemies trying to slay the Wraiths, The Night Sentinels stood strong against their legions. They were empowered by the Wraith energy. The Sentinels would have won, if it wasn't for Deag Gray. Deag Gray is a hell priest. They had struck a deal, they would give the Wraiths in exchange for The Betrayers only son (Doomslayer's son? I suppose he has a son, because they call him The Betrayer). As The Betrayer lead Deag Gray to the Wraiths, he consumed their power to make The Well. Once The Well was formed, The City of Argent fell under the control of the Hell Priests. When The Betrayer got his son back, it wasn't his son. The Priests transformed his son into The Icon of Sin. The Icon of Sin attacked swift and mercilessly, and destroyed Argent D'Nur. Argent D'Nur now holds The Well, and is the last place you would ever want to be. It's the heart of the demons. It's their home."

Again, not my theory, but might make sense.

Tain

I just finished this game for the first time, on Nightmare, and I'm fucking floored. I think this is one of the best first person shooters.

I just finished this game for the first time, on Nightmare, and I'm fucking floored. I think this is one of the best first person shooters.

I;ve been saying this since I started the game and I haven't even finished my 1st playthrough. How was nightmare? Manageable?

Top Bottom