• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Tain

I died a ton, and the game took me, like, 20 hours. I'm into that, though, and the game remained fun for me throughout.

derFeef

That devmode bug sucks big time on PC :-( beth/id being quiet on it is worriesome.
Starting over after 10 hours is really shitty, even if I enjoy the game.

TedMilk

Seriously though, I feel like id should think about rewriting their audio mixer - it's fucked. Every game since id tech 5 has had terrible mixing. I don't usually notice audio problems too much, but in this game especially it's really jarring.

Footsteps? Can't hear any. Doomguy dragging a limp corpse across the floor with his invisible feet? LOUD AS FUCK. Enemy and gun sounds? Not loud enough, but strangely enough the rapid fire weapons will duck the volume of the already quiet music when fired.

derFeef

Seriously though, I feel like id should think about rewriting their audio mixer - it's fucked. Every game since id tech 5 has had terrible mixing. I don't usually notice audio problems too much, but in this game especially it's really jarring.

Footsteps? Can't hear any. Doomguy dragging a limp corpse across the floor with his invisible feet? LOUD AS FUCK. Enemy and gun sounds? Not loud enough, but strangely enough the rapid fire weapons will duck the volume of the already quiet music when fired.

Yeah... Wolfenstein had the same problem, they should hire some good audio engineers or redo that part in their engine, at least that's my layman solution ;)
I can't remember if Rage was as bad but I don't think so?

DeaDPo0L84

Is the IDKFA trophy fixed now? Its the last one I need for the platinum but it wont pop despite me having every single weapon mastery.

TedMilk

Yeah... Wolfenstein had the same problem, they should hire some good audio engineers or redo that part in their engine, at least that's my layman solution ;)
I can't remember if Rage was as bad but I don't think so?

Yeah, I don't remember Rage being as bad either, but it WAS running on the same engine as Wolfenstein so who knows?

This game, man. This fookin' game!

I'm not an FPS guy. I'm a good game guy, though. Recently, I had a Gore Nest room clear that just made my night. I'd cleared everything except for a Pinkie (or maybe a Hell Baron - are they ever on Mars?) and I had critical health. I ran like hell - oh shit, a dead-end corner on an upper level! The Pinkie is charging, I pick up a gas can, hit square (PS4), and turn just in time to chainsaw kill the demon. Room cleared, door unlocked. I can breathe now.

So I'm going to show DOOM to a couple of friends this weekend. What does everybody think is the best level to show this game in all its glory. I'm thinking of just showing the first Hell level to them but there might be better ones. I'm actually looking for a level that gets the craziest in the fastest way.

lazygecko

They are using wwise now. Previous games just used idtech's basic integrated audio.

I can't think of another FPS that has bosses half as good as this. Are there any?

Metroid Prime trilogy, though that's prolly somewhat cheating since there are so many mechanics to play with. As far as "pure" shooters, Doom is the best I can think of. Not saying much - the vast majority of shooter bosses I've seen are pretty assy - but that's not to take away from Doom. The game has legit great bosses in a genre that's been struggling with them since forever. I really hope more devs take note that shooter bosses can actually be done well and used effectively.

Like, how long has it been since a boss in an FPS used an attack that the player has to jump over? And why? Shit is fun as hell. Interaction is fun as hell.

NEO0MJ

Man, the
First train fight in I am Vega
is intense. Doesn't help that I jumped in with low health, armor and ammo from the previous section.

Metroid Prime trilogy, though that's prolly somewhat cheating since there are so many mechanics to play with. As far as "pure" shooters, Doom is the best I can think of. Not saying much - the vast majority of shooter bosses I've seen are pretty assy - but that's not to take away from Doom. The game has legit great bosses in a genre that's been struggling with them since forever. I really hope more devs take note that shooter bosses can actually be done well and used effectively.

Like, how long has it been since a boss in an FPS used an attack that the player has to jump over? And why? Shit is fun as hell. Interaction is fun as hell.

Yeah, Cyber Demon was a lot of fun. They did a great job bringing him back.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Final got around to finishing this bad boy. I had taken time off of it to go through Doom 2 and Final Doom - Plutonia. The bosses in the second half are pretty decent. FPS isn't exactly known for bosses but they were pulled off alright here.

Game is awesome, but sweet baby jesus on a bicycle, the dificulty spike in Hell is agressive.

Just make sure to use every tool available to you, especially weapon mods - micro missiles, shotgun explosive shot, super shotgun double tap, gauss cannon siege mode are all really strong. You can also replay earlier missions to earn infinite weapon upgrade points if you're really struggling (combat-based upgrade points can be re-earned indefinitely from replays).

Yeah, Cyber Demon was a lot of fun. They did a great job bringing him back.

Just wait for the final boss! The devs went absolutely nuts designing its moveset.

Been playing Doom on and off again since launch, I'm really enjoying it but I'm treating the game like candy. I play a level or two every few days or so. I'm really impressed by how kinetic the game feels. There's always constant movement and the animations portray a sense of heavy aggression. Doom guy moves and acts in a violent motion and so do the demons. I really enjoy the way a Revenant, Hell Knight or a Pinky will keep charging at you even when they are being shot by a ton of bullets. I love it all.

NEO0MJ

Just make sure to use every tool available to you, especially weapon mods - micro missiles, shotgun explosive shot, super shotgun double tap, gauss cannon siege mode are all really strong. You can also replay earlier missions to earn infinite weapon upgrade points if you're really struggling (combat-based upgrade points can be re-earned indefinitely from replays).

Siege Cannon feels insanely overpowered at times if the level allows for easy and clean shots. Can't imagine how dominating it would be if you could move at normal speed with it.

thiense

Neo Member

Whoa, I didn't know about that last part. Thanks for the advice! It's not like I'm stuck or something like that, but after all the battles feels like I stayed alive by the skin of my teeth.

Siege Cannon feels insanely overpowered at times if the level allows for easy and clean shots. Can't imagine how dominating it would be if you could move at normal speed with it.

It's definitely top tier, but still takes a bit of finesse to use on harder difficulties imo. Losing even a bit of speed in the wrong situation can pretty dangerous.

NEO0MJ

It's definitely top tier, but still takes a bit of finesse to use on harder difficulties imo. Losing even a bit of speed in the wrong situation can pretty dangerous.

No doubt about that. I'm playing on Ultra Violence and before the upgrade using it was suicide at times and even with the added movement it's still risky pulling it out.

thiense

Neo Member
No doubt about that. I'm playing on Ultra Violence and before the upgrade using it was suicide at times and even with the added movement it's still risky pulling it out.

I can relate to that. But I didn't upgrade it yet. So, no gauss for me.

But the oomph...So good

That's one of the things I love about the game. Even the most powerful options like siege mode and double tap still take some skill to pull off, and are satisfying as a result. Ultra Violence in particular is a very well balanced difficulty from my experience.

Neiteio

The final boss is such a cool design. The modeling work in this game is top-notch.

I can't think of another FPS that has bosses half as good as this. Are there any?
Each of the Metroid Prime games is filled with bosses that are every bit as good or better.

But as Xtortionist noted, those games have a lot more going on in terms of gameplay, so it might not be a fair comparison.

lordxar

Think I hit the final boss. Tried a couple times but no dice so I shelved it for the day. Been going pretty slow on this myself. Is there an hour counter somewhere? Seems like the one at the load screen is just current time.

Cromwell

Banned
Mastered siege cannon Gauss + over 100 armor unlimited ammo rune + glory kills drop armor rune basically breaks the game. I beat nightmare using that a lot of the time and felt like I shouldn't be. Also, now that I've beaten nightmare I'm sad because I have no real reason to play it anymore after two playthroughs.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Finished the game.

Now to move onto the achievements. I've got about 10 more to go. Last one will be the ultra nightmare one tho. Gotta build to that.

Tain

Each of the Metroid Prime games is filled with bosses that are every bit as good or better.

But as Xtortionist noted, those games have a lot more going on in terms of gameplay, so it might not be a fair comparison.

I do vaguely remember the bosses in that game having actual behavior sets, but Prime was a game that never really grabbed me (even after multiple tries). Maybe I'll give it yet another go, lol.

ValfarHL

How the hell did the reviewers NOT mention anything about the constant CTD's on PC?
It seems like most everyone has this problem, both on AMD and Nvidia GPU's.

To me it mostly happens when I try to replay a mission, but finding all those secrets is half the fun for me.

So fuck, the game is pretty much useless to both me and thousands of others. Not a single peep from Bethesda or Id either?

I'm fuuurious. The game is so god damn good otherwise, I'm fuuuurious I can't play it properly. :(

derFeef

How the hell did the reviewers NOT mention anything about the constant CTD's on PC?

To me it mostly happens when I try to replay a mission, but finding all those secrets is half the fun for me.

So fuck, the game is pretty much useless to both me and thousands of others. Not a single peep from Bethesda or Id either?

I'm fuuurious. The game is so god damn good otherwise, I'm fuuuurious I can't play it properly. :(

Yeah... and the constant fear of the game putting your save into dev mode. I have restartet now but I am backing up my saves everytime before I start...

Also, what's unbelievable and absolutely unacceptable is that there still isn't a patch yet that addresses this and we're almost at the one month mark since release. I'm actually shocked there isn't a bigger uproar about this.

ValfarHL

Yeah... and the constant fear of the game putting your save into dev mode. I have restartet now but I am backing up my saves everytime before I start...

Shouldn't cloud saving take care of that? Thanks anyway, I've backed up my saves now.

Also, what's unbelievable and absolutely unacceptable is that there still isn't a patch yet that addresses this and we're almost at the one month mark since release.

Has there even been a statement regarding the matter?

Moff

they are working on it
the patch from last week added some kind of crash log so they can find the problem

Has there even been a statement regarding the matter?

Well, they did make a thread about it in the Doom Steam forum and asked people to post their crash logs on their forums. But the fact that they didn't issue a public apology or anything leaves a really bad taste in my mouth.

KrisB

Well, they did make a thread about it in the Doom Steam forum and asked people to post their crash logs on their forums. But the fact that they didn't issue a public apology or anything leaves a really bad taste in my mouth.

It really felt like they were completely clueless as to what triggers it.

I had many CTD's but they only occurred on two levels, once I eventually got passed those it was flawless.

It really felt like they were completely clueless as to what triggers it.

I had many CTD's but they only occurred on two levels, once I eventually got passed those it was flawless.

It did sound like they were clueless, but given the the severity of the issue and how widespread it is, it would have been nice to see some kind of apology issued. For heavens sakes, there is a 76 page Doom Steam thread about this. The least they could do is issue a public apology of some kind. Or better yet, keep us updated on where they're at with narrowing down this issue.

Moff

It did sound like they were clueless, but given the the severity of the issue and how widespread it is, it would have been nice to see some kind of apology issued. For heavens sakes, there is a 76 page Doom Steam thread about this. The least they could do is issue a public apology of some kind. Or better yet, keep us updated on where they're at with narrowing down this issue.

I don't understand, what's the use of this? is this common? they are working on it, nothing else matter.

derFeef

Shouldn't cloud saving take care of that? Thanks anyway, I've backed up my saves now.

I actually disabled cloud saving because of this. Steam pushes the save when the game exits and that means when it crashes as well. It's a fucked up situation where you get stuck with a currupted save and the game stuck in dev mode...

ValfarHL

I actually disabled cloud saving because of this. Steam pushes the save when the game exits and that means when it crashes as well. It's a fucked up situation where you get stuck with a currupted save and the game stuck in dev mode...

Well damn. They should at least have a copy of an older save.

I vote we change the name for this OT to Doom |OT| Crash to Desktop or Desktop of Doom

Lernaean

Banned
Help!!! I've got every cheevo except the UAC on ultra nightmare, how the 'hell' do you do it? It's insane!!

It's not that bad. The difficulty is overkill true, but the UAC encounters are fairly easy, so you'll pull it off after a few tries.
I wouldn't even think of playing the other missions though.

Pilgrimzero

After beating this and finding out that aside from Doom and Doom 2 that Doom 64 fits in the lore and I've never played it, I picked up a copy for my N64.

And wow do the controls suck.

Even after remapping them to get it to "feel" better it's still responsively slow to turn and strafe. How did anyone get play and beat this game with such controls?

Once again the N64s weird control scheme causes an issue.

Skulldead

After beating this and finding out that aside from Doom and Doom 2 that Doom 64 fits in the lore and I've never played it, I picked up a copy for my N64.

And wow do the controls suck.

Even after remapping them to get it to "feel" better it's still responsively slow to turn and strafe. How did anyone get play and beat this game with such controls?

Once again the N64s weird control scheme causes an issue.

I remember that was super hard later, but the control were not that bad. I really like the level design.

Moff

I played brutal doom before this and adored it
I tried it again yesterday and found it utterly boring

Doom16 ruined doom for me

Top Bottom