• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

jett

D-Member
So I finished the game on Hurt me Plenty a while back.

If I want to play on Nightmare do I have to start from scratch without any upgrades?

After beating this and finding out that aside from Doom and Doom 2 that Doom 64 fits in the lore and I've never played it, I picked up a copy for my N64.

And wow do the controls suck.

Even after remapping them to get it to "feel" better it's still responsively slow to turn and strafe. How did anyone get play and beat this game with such controls?

Once again the N64s weird control scheme causes an issue.

Have you considered playing Doom 64 Ex? It's a PC port that will allow you mouse control and to experience it like Doom 1 or 2.

It requires a copy of the game files from a rom, but since you've got a legitimate copy you should be good.

The Flash

Banned
Unsurprisingly, Doom charted at #2 in last month's NPD. Can we say sequel? :)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1230868

826.gif

Ok. Doom noob here being made to feel like a Doom noob. None of these later demons are giving me that much trouble but there's one enemy type that is STILL the bane of my demon slaying. Those damn shield guys! Grenades and rockets don't seem to be that convenient against them and they tear you apart if you get close which is kind of a given in the room I'm in.

I need a few tips. What weapons should I be using to take these guys on? There's about 4-5 of them in this one room that keep shutting me down but there's higher priority targets and I end up strafing into one sooner or later.

Moff

I think the shield guys are definitly among the hardest enemies in the game
I usually used rockets on them, I guess both rocket mods work well against them

the intended way to fight them would probably be to circle them and find an opportunity to attack them from behind, but I was way too lazy for that

NEO0MJ

Ok. Doom noob here being made to feel like a Doom noob. None of these later demons are giving me that much trouble but there's one enemy type that is STILL the bane of my demon slaying. Those damn shield guys! Grenades and rockets don't seem to be that convenient against them and they tear you apart if you get close which is kind of a given in the room I'm in.

Rocket launcher and aiming at the ground behind them is how I used to handle them mostly before. Gauss Canon seems to tear through the shield right away, though.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

I need a few tips. What weapons should I be using to take these guys on? There's about 4-5 of them in this one room that keep shutting me down but there's higher priority targets and I end up strafing into one sooner or later.

Gauss Cannon doesn't even flinch when piercing through their shields.

h0tp0ck3t

I go for Plasma Rifle stun bomb. Works even better if you have it maxed out to chain the stun when you kill them.
Also chainsaw gives no fucks about their shield

Voror

Jeez, this last rune trial seems kind of impossible. If I'm not getting hit by some stray projectile I'm running out of time. I suppose it doesn't help that my aim isn't that good really.

mokeyjoe

Just run behind them. Or drop a hologram and watch them all face the wrong direction while you pick them off.

Khrae

I guess I'm the minority here, but the game hasn't crashed once.

OTOH It completely fails to launch, unless I use the skip intro movies launch property. I'd quite like whatever causes this to be patched out.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF

Don't feel bad. These guys are REALLY scary and I've seen them end many, many ultra nightmare runs for lots of people. Shield guys often ARE the priority targets because of how much damage they can do if they get close.

I've seen a bunch of ways of dealing with these guys.
  • Plasma stun bomb makes them drop their shield while stunned.
  • Throwing a grenade, rocket launcher, or shotgun explosive shot to detonate behind them. Rocket launcher's remote detonate works well here too.
  • You can brute-force the shield with Gauss.
  • You can also brute-force the shield with a bunch of micro missiles from the assault rifle.

Jeez, this last rune trial seems kind of impossible. If I'm not getting hit by some stray projectile I'm running out of time. I suppose it doesn't help that my aim isn't that good really.

Is that the Gauss Cannon one?

Remember that you can start the siege mode charge mid jump or mid double jump to give yourself some extra maneuvering, and use siege mode blasts to take out the big dudes (cacos, hell nights, barons, pinkies) and just use unsieged shots for imps and soldiers. if you are mobile enough the imps and soldiers are the deadly ones because they actually have ranged attacks.

Hesemonni

Banned
Started playing last night and managed to get a few hours in. My first thoughts:

1) I constantly forget to grenades
2) I'm constantly trying to reload with X button
3) For the first time I feel that gamepad is not good enough of a controller to enjoy the game

I just finished the game and it was one hell (pun intended) of a ride. I played through on ultra violence and will go back through on nightmare. I may juggle an ultra nightmare profile too; I have little to no hope of doing it!

The most trouble I had was the part where you have to
smash the 4 coolants to shut down Vega
. No other section killed me like this one for some reason. I'd had a week's break from Doom before going to that bit so maybe I was just rusty but I am not looking forward to that part again.

On a game reliability note: The thing that sullied the experience towards the end was the numerous CTDs. I would finish a massive battle and the game would crash out meaning I had to do it all again. I checked for driver crashes but nothing showed in event viewer.

Started playing last night and managed to get a few hours in. My first thoughts:

1) I constantly forget to grenades
2) I'm constantly trying to reload with X button
3) For the first time I feel that gamepad is not good enough of a controller to enjoy the game

1 & 2 was a real problem for me. Doom has now cured me of my obsessive reloading issues although it can be a bit of a problem now I am playing Overwatch. In the early parts of the game I completely forgot about grenades plus I didn't use a hologram until I don't know how far into the game.

3: I play on PC and I cannot imagine not using KB/M. The fast and chaotic nature really lends itself to mouse aiming. You can pull of some pretty amazing plays.

They move slowly. I usually just throw a grenade at their feet and they die instantly. You want them to walk over the grenade so it explodes at their back. When all else fails, chainsaw those mf'ers down.

lordxar

For the shield guys I just use the standard shotty with grenade shot or whatever it's called. Splash damage is a bitch :)

Thanks to whoever said you can go back and redo levels without losing progress. That is awesome! I've been going back and finding secrets and bumping up my gear. The last boss or the one I'm on anyway just outlasts me. Holy shit that thing has health. Think I'm at the end anyway.
big spider muhfukker
Going back is pretty sweet. It wasn't too bad on my initial run but going back with modded toys is like a walk in the park now.

NEO0MJ

So, what tips do you guys have for
The Spider Mastermind? I've burned through most of my ammo and barely finished half its health. That flipped mode also confuses me. How am I supposed to dodge its shots in that stance?

beeswax

...Those damn shield guys! Grenades and rockets don't seem to be that convenient against them and they tear you apart if you get close which is kind of a given in the room I'm in.

Quickest way I found to take them out was a quick double jump over their heads, 180 and super shotgun to the back of the head.

The Spider Mastermind? I've burned through most of my ammo and barely finished half its health. That flipped mode also confuses me. How am I supposed to dodge its shots in that stance?

I think strafing and jumping on the pillars worked to dodge just about anything there. Also, use siphon grenades as soon as they refill to keep your health/ammo supply up. If you're stuck, come back tomorrow and whoop her. Worked for me.

Make sure your BFG shots land, if you have any, and save them for the final 1/3 of the fight. I think I widdled her down with Gauss and triple lock on rockets.

So, have we pretty much given up on the Vulkan patch being an actual thing that will ever exist in the real world?

When they said "shortly after release," were they measuring time on more of a geological scale?

No, I'm not bitter at all. Why do you ask?

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I think
you have to aim for the fleshy parts of it. The metal parts are either invulnerable or take greatly reduced damage.

I also believe it takes more damage after it's stunned from a direct BFG hit. Stun it with the BFG at key points in the fight (probably before it does the electrified spike pillar thing), then unload on it with your highest DPS weapon until it gets back up.

A-V-B

So, have we pretty much given up on the Vulkan patch being an actual thing that will ever exist in the real world?

When they said "shortly after release," were they measuring time on more of a geological scale?

I keep hoping. Please, id... please...

Thanks for all the tips guys. I've been swapping between a few of them and seem to be getting a bit better at taking them on now. Seems I was underestimating them too and should have been keeping them higher priority.

nubbe

1 month is not much time at all for development
2-4 months

I've been so loving this...until the game bluescreened and corrupted my save. I have now lost all progress. Has this happened to anyone else? Any tips to recover?

Top Bottom