• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Thanks to anyone who answered my questions. I decided to buy Uncharted 4 instead because at least I know for sure that that game's good.

It's best to wait a week anyway since a lot of reviewers would be rushing to release their review as soon as possible. I would rather listen to podcasts and general word of mouth before making a purchase.

TheRed

This is my first Steam preload. It this extra half hour update or unpack thing the norm?

Yeah, I usually opt to just download after game comes out because it's usually faster but for a game this size it isnt. Seems like my unpacking should be done in 10 more mins, the download took close to 50 min.

Maximo

So... anyone else watch the polygon video of Doom?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yYp8ZeQ-I8

I don't think I've laughed this hard at gameplay footage in my entire life.

Usually Gamers are pricks about this stuff, reviewers are reviewers not hardcore *Gamers* and are often hired based on their skills, alot are picked to review Genres they don't normally play..
But man this shit was hard to watch its like watching my 60 year old dad trying to grasp the concept of FPS, where one stick aims and the other moves around.

Chiggs

Gold Member
I've finally come to the realization that this decryption process renders the whole pre-load process pointless. I can probably download the whole file in the amount of time it takes to decrypt.

I really want to get this but at the same time I already have Dark Souls and Uncharted collection to get through...
Where is the cheapest price to get it in Aus tho?

Justinh

Yeah same. Long ass time to unpack. Aw well.

It's taking so long

6oFjAKA.jpg

it literally said "More than 1 year" right before I took this screen...
installing on Samsung 840 EVO

Do the console versions run at 60fps?

*nvm Google says all versions do.

Playing ps4 version right now and it's 1080p 60 fps. I presume the single player is too. Just doing MP right now. Edit: yeah single player too.

ANY RECOMMENDATIONS on difficulty setting? I heard the game is too easy on normal.

I've finally come to the realization that this decryption process renders the whole pre-load process pointless. I can probably download the whole file in the amount of time it takes to decrypt.

I have 150 Mbps Internet and it took about an hour to download. This unpacking process will take me no longer than 15 minutes. I doubt very much you have the 500 Mbps Internet necessary to make your statement true.

edit: UNPACKED, TIME TO BECOME RADIOACTIVE, THAT CAN'T BE GOOD!

Woorloog

Banned
I have no idea how long i've played. 9-10h maybe? Unsure if close to the end or not.

How to describe the game...

Intensive.

Being a floating eye is a bit annoying, especially since you see your corpse if you die. Seriously, seeing your body should be standard in first person games nowadays.

Despite the game's automap being pretty generous about showing secret areas (by showing collectibles), finding your way into them isn't necessarily that easy. If you can't seem to find your way into one, it probably comes up later on in the map (but not always, missed some secrets because of this).

Unfortunately Id is not DICE when it comes to sound: The game's sound design is pretty lackluster. Passable but not memorable or particularly interesting.
Not a fan of the music, seems mostly noise to me. Unsure how many tracks there are, can't tell them apart really.

I wonder if the story ends like i think it will. The story is an interesting mix of "actually kinda interesting" and "total excuse plot for shooting things". The plot does recycle at least parts of Doom 3's plot. (Also pretty sure i saw the Soul Cube from Doom 3 in one place, as a decoration.)

Top Bottom